[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do creators of popular /co/ drop the ball so hard? Does the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (558 KB, 1198x230) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
558 KB, 1198x230
Why do creators of popular /co/ drop the ball so hard? Does the popularity get to their head and they get so overwhelmed with trying not to disappoint people, it ends up backfiring and they write even worse or were they always hacks, we just didn't notice until the end?
>>
>>83823196
>Why do creators of popular /co/ drop the ball so hard?
depends, there are a myriad of reasons

>Does the popularity get to their head and they get so overwhelmed with trying not to disappoint people, it ends up backfiring and they write even worse
i could see this happening to many, itd certainly happen to me

>or were they always hacks, we just didn't notice until the end?
just diaz i think
>>
>>83823196
>? Does the popularity get to their head and they get so overwhelmed with trying not to disappoint people
Actually yes. This is generally one of the reasons.
>>
>>83823196
They get popular which means they get more fans so they have to stop being niche and focused on where they were at the beginning because the people who tell them what to do tell them to make as much money as possible or they will kill their show by putting in a terrible timeslot or order less episodes
>>
Did Gravity Falls drop the ball? I thought their only problem was getting cancelled and pretending "oh we only wanted 2 seasons all along"
>>
With Adventure Time it's because storyboarder's have free reign to do whatever but most of the time they just butt heads with each other.

Gravity Fall is because not enough episodes to develop anything and Disney's "Happy Ending" clause.

Don't know shit about Homestuck.
>>
>>83823319
Personally I thought Gravity Falls was great, and it ended at the perfect time. I really couldn't see it getting a continuation.
>>
>>83823319
It didn't drop the ball. It screwed the pooch after shooting itself in the foot.
>>
>>83823319
>>83823369

I thought Gravity Falls was near perfect for what it was. There were a couple of loose threads here and there but I loved how it ended. Kind of dropped the ball potential wise though. They could've went to space with aliens with this shit and they didn't. Didn't Gideon say there was unimaginable power in space or something?
>>
>>83823196
>Does the popularity get to their head and they get so overwhelmed with trying not to disappoint people
In a post social media work, it's quite easy to gang up on somebody when they don't fall in line with the current zeitgeist, and since computers and the internet record everything, every single slight you commit is going to be brought to your face as "evidence" of [whatever that somebody is accused of].

Which wouldn't be a problem if most cartoonists and webcomics and artists in general nowadays didn't have less spine than a snail and were so easily cowed by a bunch of angry posts on Twitter.

>were they always hacks, we just didn't notice until the end?
That's another big possibility, too.
>>
>>83823196

>GF

Didn't watch much of this show but to my understanding Alex wanted to move to making other cartoons and rushed the series to it's finale...and to the ground. Most people agree the show would've been better with a three-season run.

>Homestuck

I know jack shit about this except that the creator put it on hiatus and never finished it. Maybe he got fed up of the internet or the fan base idk.

>AT

Ward left without giving a proper story or end point to the show, the writers started doing their own thing without a clear plan of where exactly take the characters and the story, this resulted in arcs and characters that go absolutely nowhere, previous plotsL points constantly being undone-redone-modified, new characters being introduced and immediatly dropped, a complete mess. It's a ship without captain.
>>
>>83823369
>it ended at the perfect time
It ended almost four years after it's debut for a run of only two seasons.
>>
>>83823319
A lot of loose ends and some missing development.
>Ford didn't get much development
>It was hinted that Bill knew Stan back in season 1 but that was never developed on.
>What about the aliens?
>What happened to Time Baby? How did Blendin originally get possessed by Bill, he must have made a deal with him.

Also the Cipher wheel was revealed to be a bit hack-y. I mean, I like the ending with the memory gun, but Hirsch saying he just drew the wheel because it looked cool and had no real intention of using it was kind of a bummer reveal.
>>
>>83823468
>Which wouldn't be a problem if most cartoonists and webcomics and artists in general nowadays didn't have less spine than a snail and were so easily cowed by a bunch of angry posts on Twitter.
I'd like to hear from popular artists what it's like dealing with people shitting on you on a daily basis. It must get to them, how the hell do you ignore it? I get nervous just posting anonymously on /ic/.
>>
>>83823628
Getting shat on is tough. But if they weren't interested they wouldn't say anything at all.
>>
>>83823495
>it was hinted that Bill knew Stan.

Bill heard the name Stan Pines and was thinking of Stanford, not Stanly. I'm sure he realized the difference when he entered his mind
>>
>>83823196
I think /co/ just has bad taste in regards to endings.

I mean, is there a single franchise where /co/ said "wow, this ending is really great, it lived up to everything I was hoping for and MORE"
not baiting, i'm genuinly curious.
>>
>>83825606

Same goes for /v/, and /a/, and anything else where stories are involved honestly.

Sometimes ending suck sure, but I think people get preoccupied with what they think an ending or a series should be and forget what it's really about.

Plus too much emphasis is put on endings. I know they're super important and can potentially ruin a series but for the most part even a mediocre ending doesn't ruin a series if the ride was good.

Kinda like a burger, the beginning and the end are the buns and the story is all the stuff in the middle.

just my thoughts though. (Which are very generalized and have little to nothing to do with OP's three examples.)
>>
>>83825606
>I mean, is there a single franchise where /co/ said "wow, this ending is really great, it lived up to everything I was hoping for and MORE"
Toy Story 3. Up until Toy Story 4 was announced.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.