[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honestly thought I was going to hate this show. Why do I love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: Steven_Universe.png (54 KB, 513x194) Image search: [Google]
Steven_Universe.png
54 KB, 513x194
Honestly thought I was going to hate this show. Why do I love it so much?
>>
>>83812508
Probably because of it's worldbuilding, colorful cast of characters, cute aesthetic, and the overarching, somewhat tragic story behind everything. Steven Universe is a good show, and the only reason why people like to hate on it so much is because the overwhelming majority of the fanbase is cringeworthy, autistic tumblrites.
>>
>>83812508
You thought you were going to hate it because it's a meme to hate the show and you're a follower memeing faggot.
>>
Is Steven a homosexual?
>>
Because Steven Universe is not bad.
>>
>>83812567
>and the only reason why people like to hate on it so much
People also thinking this show is flawless is another reason why people like to hate on it.

It's a slice-of-life show that's slightly above the rest simply because the standards for western cartoons are so low, it doesn't have to compete with much. It still has an array of issues:
>Unable to pace itself properly. The arcs are slow but the resolutions are so damn fast
>Resolutions are underwhelming, they're unable to keep up with the own hype they build within their universe
>We're at season three and we've still yet to see the writers challenge Steven's beliefs that not love can conquer all. It's getting stale to know that Steven's pacifist ways are ALWAYS going to be the answer with the exception of possibly YD.
>Relies on outbursts of tears for dramatic effect
>11 minutes does not make for good adventure-based plots
>Repeating shoves interesting arcs and characters aside in favor of status quo
>Characters power and intelligence level fluctuate rapidly according to plot. The Gems sometimes can get stopped by one punch and other times, can punch through solid boulders.
>This is more of a personal gripe, but a lot of the character interaction comes across as fan shipping service, which can get pretty annoying
>More effort is put into dances than battle sequences. Wouldn't be a problem if half the show didn't have battle scenes and presented itself as a show where characters would fight. Super Watermelon Island was the only good fight in the whole show.
>>
>>83812508
For those who will ask about zap2it, it just updated, and there's no episode listed on the 30th. Unless CN announces something soon, things are looking bleak again.
>>
It's a show where literal A E S T H E T I C is one its huge draws

and also it's part of the "Shows Your Girlfriend Likes" Starter Pack
>>
How far are you? You'll notice its flaws soon enough. It is L I T E R A L L Y the gayest show on TV and don't get too attached to "badass" Garnet because they kinda ruin her character
>>
File: Lewd.jpg (39 KB, 471x590) Image search: [Google]
Lewd.jpg
39 KB, 471x590
>>83812508
Because it's got top-tier waifus.
>>
>>83815471
>and also it's part of the "Shows Your Girlfriend Likes" Starter Pack

What other shows are a part of this? Supernatural comes to mind.
>>
>>83812508
Because you're surprisingly not easily blinded by trigger words associated with the show's core themes?
>>
>>83812508
You probably figured you'd hate it when you saw it's fans, which makes sense, as it's fans are shit.

But then you started loving it when you realized it's just a Dragon Ball Z fanfic.
>>
File: 1442364839491.png (132 KB, 500x486) Image search: [Google]
1442364839491.png
132 KB, 500x486
>>83812508
>tfw only thing I like about the show is the setting
>don't care about waifus
>don't care about "LOVE conquers all :)"
>roll eyes at 90% of the """"humor""""
>just watch it for the chance of a little bit more light to be shed on things outside of Beach City
I fucking hate you for doing this to me, Dextrose.
>>
>>83812508
Because you're OP.
>>
>>83814477
>Super Watermelon Island was the only good fight in the whole show.

What about the fight sequences from the other episodes by that board team
>vs Centipeetle in gem glow
>opal vs Giant Bird in Giant Woman
>Steven vs holo pearl in StS (not counting Pearl vs holo pearl because that was an almost shot for shot homage to utena)
>Training robot in Lion 2
>Gems vs water clones
>amethyst vs pearl in on the run
>Stronger than you
>climax of Sworn to the Sword
>Pearlbot vs Peribot
>>
>>83815695
No to almost all of those. Most of the fights in SU are static and boring. Characters often stand in one place while flailing around or just do basic dodges and swings with very little thought. They don't creatively use the environment around them, the characters have creative powers and they barely use them in a fight aside from random swinging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZx6uQPUO4
Just compare this entire montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSj0b22X1M
To one showdown scene in Xiaolin Showdown.

The Xiaolin one isn't exactly pinnacle of action animation, but at least it's more exciting than Pearl standing in place while she knocks things around with her spear or Connie haphazardly swiping at the camera.
>>
>>83815807
here are some others organized by board team

>Aleth Romanillos
Steven vs Worm monster (though that might've been Kat Morris)
Garnet vs Cave Monster (arcade mania)
Steven and lion vs desert glass

>Raven and Paul
Breakfast monster
frybo
Garnet vs purple puma
Pearl vs sugilite
gems vs ronaldo
sadie vs invisible monster
connie and steven vs gem mutants

>Lamar Abrams (I don't think any of the action scenes in his episodes so far have been by Hellen or Katie)
Onion vs Gems
Gems vs Pufferfish
Gems vs watermelon stevens
rose and pearl vs rubies

>Hillary and Lauren
Lapis vs roaming eye
>>
Probably because it's a well made show but /co/ has convinced you to hate it because of their boogymen complexes.
>>
>>83812508
Tumblr aside, it's just a good show.
>>
>>83815695
The background music of the gems vs the water clones is really great
>>
>>83812508
That's how I felt. Enjoy the show, anon.
>>
>>83816037
>Lapis vs roaming eye

That was a fight?
>>
>>83815548
That's not what waifu means.
>>
>>83812567
>cute aesthetic
Part of the reason I can't stand this show is it seems like every character was purposefully designed to be ugly
>>
>>83812961
No, he has a female love interest.
>>
>>83815548
>that top-tier
>>
File: 1465489709611-wsg.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1465489709611-wsg.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>83815548
>Pearl
>Top tier
>>
>>83812508
>Why do I love it so much?
Because you're a huge fucking faggot with shit taste.
>>
>>83814477
>that's slightly above the rest simply because the standards for western cartoons are so low,
Its not even the best show on its network. Its like MLP, a mediocre show with an obnoxious fanbase, more so than you want to believe.
>>
>>83812508
People enjoy different shit OP. People constantly try to "prove" their favorite show is better, but at the end of the day, a lot of it comes down to personal taste.

I love the show too, but at the same time I understand it's not for everyone, and things other people complain about might not bug me. Don't let other peoples opinions decide what you like.
>>
>>83820981
This. Finally someone stating what makes sense.

Anyway could there be a chance of new episodes announcement later today?
>>
>>83821485
At this point, I think we can only hope. They should be announced soon if they plan on keeping their word for summer of Steven starting in June.
>>
It's a good show. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Course in a place like this you're more likely to encounter those two extremes.
>>
File: 1461979708962.png (55 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1461979708962.png
55 KB, 500x375
>>83815548
>>
>>83820295
If we're going by entire station, Venture Brothers is objectively the best thing on that station.

If we're just going by CartoonNetwork, I would say Steven Universe is one of the best things they have to offer, maybe rival with Amazing World of Gumball. Once Wander Over Yonder ends though, SU will unfortunately easily take the mantle of "best cartoon around" simply because its competition is so offensively lacking.
>>
>Steven Universe is kinda like a vagina
>>
>>83824034

Yeah, it does have a lot pink.
>>
>>83824034
It has mosaic censorship?
>>
>>83824034

It doesn't look or smell too great, but once you're in there...
>>
>>83824034
>>83824260
Kek that sounds about right
>>
>>83824260
it's great
>>
>>83812508
Because you fell for the "Steven Universe is nothing but SJW tumblrtrash" meme but then actually watched the show and realized a meme is a meme.
>>
>>83824111
>Mosaic
>Not superior black bars
>>
>>83812508
Because Pearl is the most kawaii.
>>
File: OTP.jpg (32 KB, 600x571) Image search: [Google]
OTP.jpg
32 KB, 600x571
>>83812508

Qt waifus and girl-on-girl action.

Kidding. it is actually a pretty creative and comfy show that is unique in its focus on empathy in an action/fighting show with some nice humor. And despite the "lel tumblr" fans and meme it doesn't shove agendas down your throat either, things simply are, without comment.
>>
>>83812961
He's a child man, how the fuck is that question relevant.
>>
>>83815605
supernatural was such a disappointment
>>
>>83826373
He's 14. People can figure out if they're gay by the time they're 14.

That said, dude has a girlfriend and more moves than I do.
>>
>>83812508
The secret ingredient is love.
>>
>>83812508
The characters are fun to watch......when they aren't singing
>>
>>83812508
Because it combines anime, fantasy, science fiction, 70s pop culture and 80s pop culture. The show also serves as a parody.
>>
Because it touched you.

It touched you in the heart.

Now you're going to die, because you're not supposed to do that.

All your valves are exploding OP.

Why did you let this happen to you.
>>
>>83812508
When it first started I hated it. It felt like they were trying so hard to do the same sort of "feels" thing Adventure Time was doing, except without building the world or developing the characters first. It just came off as really forced and Steven felt like an annoying character. A few episodes were enjoyable enough, notably Monster Buddies and Coach Steven but Jailbreak and the couple episodes leading up to it are what really got me into it. Since then I've been loving it and getting a better feel for a lot of the characters has also made the earlier episodes more enjoyable.

Also I like the style, but I still don't really care for a lot of the character designs.
>>
Imagine if it had a crossover with Deltora Quest.
>>
>>83824260
wow that's actually pretty accurate
>>
>>83812508
Gotta hand it to SU, it seems to be really simple, mellow, cozy, and a little down to earth, while simultaneously being serious and a little depressing. That's why I like it.

It still has got its flaws, no doubt.
>>
New episodes when?
>>
>>83832840
we still dont know
>>
File: 70b.png (79 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
70b.png
79 KB, 500x400
<---- Because her.
>>
>>83823092
Well for me, at least Samurai Jack should be able during the course of the airing of its fifth and final season.

Also, Voltron is another solid contender for best contender for best cartoon currently airing, unless you decide not to count it because it's a Netflix show.
>>
>>83815471
I only watched this show cause my sister is a tumblrina. Does that mean she'll inevitably become my gf?
>>
>>83832974
Nope.
>>
>>83833297
It's never wrong to show your imouto a little love, be the onii-chan she needs.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.