[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC is sinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3
File: 1369500239059.jpg (18 KB, 510x430) Image search: [Google]
1369500239059.jpg
18 KB, 510x430
Is it me, or is DC rebirth's lineup a little empty/stale? I only see comics derivative from the main players. Instead of rebooting the familiar, why haven't they done so with the unfamiliar? Tbh I'm tired of marvel raking the cash. There is just so much wasted potential,in DC. I know they can seriously up their game from both a comic book and entertainment perspective. So in short am I being a overly critical phagget or can DC do better instead of reusing key characters and decimating their already existing storylines.
>>
>>83809947
DCYou was this, and Young Animal is coming soon. DCYou was full of unfamiliar, and it sadly didn't sell.
DC is not going to get Marvel's shares, but they make good comics nonetheless. If Rebirth does well, they'll most likely expand again.
>>
>>83809947
man dc is a mess but has good stuff
>>
>Instead of rebooting

Stopped reading here. Fuck off with your concern trolling.
>>
>>83809947
>sinking
Most of their line is Bat books their probably going to do better than they have since 2011 desu.
>>
I'd personally love a booster gold book. Or a plastic man book. Why not a god plastic man book damnit
>>
>>83810570
>Why not a god plastic man book damnit
Because right now is not the time for them to launch something that would sell sub-10k
>>
>>83810605
This. I loved the Midnighter book, it sank like a rock. Omega Men was great, sank like a rock*. They have to sell a whole bunch of Batmen and Superman in order to branch out again.
(*I'm aware that Plastic Man is probably more well-known, but the fact is, A-Listers are what sells right now.)
>>
>>83810605
Here's what you do then.....plastic man featuring Harley quinn

What's fucked up is that's the only way it'd sell
>>
>>83810570
>Plastic Man

The market is already full of LOL SO RANDUMB characters that do it better
>>
Just wait for Young Animal. I think they also said they're going to try to launch some weirder ideas out of main books more first.

>>83810912
>Harley Quinn and the Omega Men

50k+ every issue guaranteed
>>
>>83810570
because his continuity is a fucking mess
>>
>>83810963
Sorry name one that actually does it better on dc's side
>>
>>83811014
Harley Quinn
>>
>>83811043
She's a shitty wannabe deadpool. Her attempts at being "random" are all lame. Plastic man has the possibility for abstract physical humor. And he doesn't look like a dirty hooker.
>>
All their smaller books sold like garbage so they're going back to just the biggest characters and slowly rolling out smaller stuff.
>>
>>83811184
Ah so like the atom?
>>
>>83810963
Name one that does it better.
>>
>>83809947
Nobody's raking in the cash. It's just two old, starving dogs fighting over the remains of a once bountiful kill. One dog is just doing better in the meantime until they both starve to death.
>>
>>83809947
Rebirth's sales are through the fucking roof. June's numbers will be surreal. DC will probably beat Marvel for the first time in years.
>>
>>83811261
Yes.
>>
>>83809947
>Instead of rebooting the familiar, why haven't they done so with the unfamiliar?

They did this with DCYou (Omega Men, Midnighter, Prez, Starfire, etc).

You didn't buy it.

Put your money where your mouth is, and buy floppies for the good, unfamiliar stuff, or we'll never see more.
>>
>>83812188
I sometimes wonder if a return to anthologies might be worth an experiment. Imagine if, say, Action Comics became 2-3× as long, was headlined by Superman, had 2-3 secondary stories showcasing lesser characters, and sold for $5. It would not be prestige format or anything. Just the normal covers and paper.
>>
>DC is sinking
What? The Rebirth comics are all from "eh" to fantastic so far and sales are very good. If DC can capitalize on this and make good business decisions and avoid any huge editorial fuckups, it's going to be doing the best it's been doing in a long time.
>>
>>83811140
>And he doesn't look like a dirty hooker.

now this is just bait
>>
Should have bought Demon Knights, All Star Western, Midnighter or Omega Men then asshole. DC has tried for years to branch out only for all of it to tank sales wise and then have everyone bitch for going back to the bread and butter
>>
>>83813453
DC probably should just add a couple new comics at a time and then keep what sticks instead of adding 8 new comics at once and being mad when people with finite money aren't willing to pony up for a bunch of unfamiliar shit and all the people who are willing to try something new are split in 8 directions.
>>
>>83813544
Pretty sure that's what they're planning to do.
>>
>>83810841
Midnighter is selling very well in trades. That was the entire idea behind DC You, trying to sell to the trade buying demographic. As much as /co/ claims Tumblr doesn't buy comics, they actually buy tons of trades which is why Marvel continues to pander to them.

Rebirth is another attempt at being more trade focused. Bimonthly books means they ship twice as many trades.

Also, more obscure books like Omega Men sell significantly more in trade, because word of mouth takes time and the monthly nature of floppies give them an expiration date.
>>
File: 1463855060166.jpg (117 KB, 950x1229) Image search: [Google]
1463855060166.jpg
117 KB, 950x1229
All I know is I want to fuck this Beast Boy
>>
t. Marvel cuck
>>
>>83809947
>I only see comics derivative from the main players. Instead of rebooting the familiar, why haven't they done so with the unfamiliar?
They did. The real question is: why didn't you buy it?
>>
>>83813797
I love his outfit in the smaller image to the left.
>>
>>83809947
>What was DCYou?
DC tried literally what you're describing and it sold like shit despite a bunch of titles getting critical acclaim. Omega Men ended only selling like 8000.

Rebirth is fucking working because they're getting back to basics with what people love about DC. Johns has already said that once the line is established we're getting Shazam, LOSH and JSA on-goings and I'm sure more will be added.

In the mean time they'll still be publishing some lesser known on-goings in Young Animal, all of which will be in continuity with the main DCU.
>>
Who's the young Wonder Woman like character in Titans Rebirth? Any comics about her you can recommend?
>>
>>83815089
Donna Troy

Give New Teen Titans a read
>>
>>83813770
>Midnighter is selling very well in trades.
Steve Orlando implied the opposite
>>
>>83811891
THIS, fucking this. Capes in general are selling like shit, worse than ever but the big two only care about movie deals. Only because Marvel dominate the current cape market doesn't mean its comics are selling decently
>>
>>83809947

Where were you when the New 52 launched and they were offering war comics, western comics, spy comics, fantasy comics and nobody fucking bought them?
>>
>>83813153

Legends of Tomorrow is basically that. Same with Deadshot/Katana.
>>
>>83815182
But comics are selling way better now than they have been in years.
>http://www.comichron.com/vitalstatistics/alltime.html
and that's not even accounting for digital on top of that.
>>
>>83809947
It's because they're not out yet, you retard. DC has tons of books coming out, there are release dates for these things you know.
>>
>>83809947

I think it's okay for the comics to die. They haven't been good in years. Maybe someone will make some interesting adaptations out of older material, like Snyder has. But you can just' let go of the comics. They're not that good or important.
>>
>>83809947
> Instead of rebooting the familiar,
NOT A FUCKING REBOOT

> why haven't they done so with the unfamiliar?
DC You, You as in "YOU fucking dumbfuck didn't buy it and now it's gone so shut the fuck up"
>>
>>83813153
think of this anon. I don't fucking care about those character and I don't give a shit if the book is a few pages long since it's fucking $5 and I'm not gonna get a book for $5 when I can get 2 for $6 you fucking inbred.

>>83813544
Literally what Rebirth is, Johns literally said that they're gonna stick with this line-up for the considerable future then possibly release the 2nd line of Rebirth titles.
>>
>>83813770
>Midnighter is selling very well in trades.
>Source:My Ass
it's the best selling DC You trade, and guess what? Despite what /co/ and plebbit said, they're all selling horribly. Congratulations Midnighter isn't selling as terribly as the rest. Don't be a fucking idiot
>>
I fucking hate Johns and Rebirth.

The best part about Rebirth (Green Arrow) could be done without the idiotic New 52 bashing and Watchmen shoehorning.

Johns is a hack. The last good thing he wrote was the Shazam backups.
>>
the one thing 'rebirth' has that marvel doesnt is the fact that the books are interesting, fun to read and has an over lapping mystery that will unfold.

marvel shot itself in the foot with having way too many 'universe changing' storylines for the last 6 years, unnecessary gender / diversity change of major characters and stale plot points. theres too many spidermen in the same universe, multiple wolverines etc

dc has 1 batman, 1 wonderwoman and a superman with a family. it's simple and much easier to digest
>>
>>83818327
>The best part about Rebirth (Green Arrow) could be done without the idiotic New 52 bashing.
Without the New 52 Bashing. they wouldn't have attracted the lapsed readers you know.
>Watchmen shoehorning.
It's a metaphor, Johns literally explains why Watchmen's there.
>>
>>83818375
>It's a metaphor, Johns literally explains why Watchmen's there.

Its a flawed metaphor that twists the character of Dr Manhattan to suit his won purposes. The Dr. Manhattan at the end of Watchmen had no reason nor the power to mess with the DC universe and wantonly murder Metron, Owlman, and Pandora.

This is Superboy Prime and Alexander Luthor Jr all over again. Character assassination to serve a stories' meta needs.
>>
File: literally johns.jpg (303 KB, 800x1230) Image search: [Google]
literally johns.jpg
303 KB, 800x1230
>>83818494
Whats interesting is that both Superboy Prime and Dr. Manhattan serve exactly opposite needs.

SBP is the fanboy who whines about things being too dark. Meanwhile Dr. Manhattan is the villain that causes things to have indeed turned too dark.

So Johns has almost turned himself into Superboy Prime, wrecking a universe because he believes someone else made DC turn too dark, while ignoring the fact that his own actions are just as edgy and dark as anything.
>>
>>83818572
Superboy Prime fighting Dr Manhattan when?

Of course after SBP realises Dr Manhattan was responsible for all the edgy shit DC has done.
>>
>>83818635
i wouldnt doubt that happening. and now that Johns has come around to SBP's viewpoint, expect the strawman to be portrayed more softly.
>>
>>83813324
>sales are very good
But the sales reports haven't come out besides Rebirth#1 which was an event style book.
>>
>>83809947
>It's a guy who doesn't buy comic books wonders why no one makes comic books for him episode

another repeat...
>>
>>83818494
>The Dr. Manhattan at the end of Watchmen had no reason nor the power to mess with the DC universe and wantonly murder Metron, Owlman, and Pandora.

Is it murder though? It felt like he's just playing around with time and space, like taking apart a watch and merely removing players who seem to be interfering with his work off the board.
>>
>>83820435

Several books have gone to second printings, even bigger books like Batman, so they are exceeding initial orders by a large margin.
>>
It's pure fan service shit and /co/ licks it up
>>
>>83811811
The creeper
>>
>>83812188
>buy floppies

But I'm not a fucking masochist. Floppies are a shit product and are in no way worth my money. This is why capeshit is failing: You have to put forth something I actually want to buy if you want to take my money. Loyalty towards media icons doesn't exist.
>>
>>83813453
Demon knights wasn't even good tho
>>
>>83811184

It's a shame, one of the things the New 52 did right was giving a huge push to lesser-known characters and we got some fantastic offbeat books as a result (Animal Man and Swamp Thing, Dial H, Demon Knights, I, Vampire, Sword of Sorcery, All-Star Western, etc)
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.