[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Rebirth week #3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: DC-Rebirth-Featured-032816.jpg (187 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
DC-Rebirth-Featured-032816.jpg
187 KB, 970x545
How has everyone felt about this weeks wave of issues?
Superman - Good but Boy of Murder
Batman - Good? It was kind of cool seeing Batman save an airplane but it was also kid of dumb
Green Lanterns - A lot better then I expected which wasn't much.
Green Arrow - Just as good as the Rebirth special
Titans - Good but just another preview. Also Blue Dick is back.
>>
Loved Green Arrow, liked Green Lanterns and Titans, didn't care for Batman but it wasn't bad, only skimmed Superman but my heart's not in it so I'll probably just hold off until there's a writer I like on either of the main books.
>>
>>83806489
This. Maybe I should give King some time to get into stride but the issue was just kind of eventless.
>>
>Superman
another case of Tomasi being one of those writers for safe, middle-of-the-road stories, artwork is nice
>Batman
the scripts are pretty lean and overly wordy like the previous run, but king seems to be having his artists pack all the symbolism and references into the visuals. makes for a better appreciation of art imo
>Green Lanterns
Art is nothing special, and the writing isn't either, but there are ticks that I like here and things that I don't. also, it seems we're doomed to writers rehashing johns characters instead of making new ones
>Green Arrow
No problems here. Great comic and Percy has finally hit his stride after ten+ issues of GA
>Titans
while it wasn't as bad as abnett's aquaman, there's some clumsy meta text here and there but overall an enjoyable issue marred by booth art
>>
>>83806547
I'm sure it'll be fine but I don't care enough about Batman to read if it's anything less than amazing. Just not my thing to begin with.
>>
>>83806610
i meant not overly wordy*
>>
Same old DC for me really. Just because they say it's a "rebirth" doesn't mean the quality is going to be better. DC still has the same mediocre writers its always had.

That said Marvel is also fucking up too.
>>
>>83806442
again pretty good with the weakest stuff being okay
>>
Batman was fucking amazing. I'm all in on King.
Green Lanterns/Arrow were both sold starts and I wanna come back to them.
Superman was ok, but i'm dropping if it doesn't pick up quick
Titans was "Here is everyone, here are the relationships, here's the big bad" set up, not great but fine for what it was. would be very hyped for the first issue if not for booth
>>
>>83806442
The important question is, has anyone in Green Lanterns fucked a dog yet?
>>
>>83806442
I liked Batman and Green Arrow. Superman was shit. Titans was not good and I'm not going to continue.
>>
I'm just getting back in after about a 10 year hiatus. I'm generally pleased by what I see though.
>>
All the Rebirth issues have been a lot of set-up and establishment, a way to transition from the New 52 into the changes for Rebirth, but all of them so far have done so with varying degrees of succcess.

I'm a massive Flash-fag, so of course I thought Flash and Titans' ones were the best, but I was surprised at how much I liked the actual Batman and Superman #1's.
>>
out of all the rebirth issues, aquaman is the worst one by far. 20 pages of having to justify the aquaman concept, same shit as johns' 1st issue. If aquaman is so cool you shouldn't have to spend 20 pages detailing why he's cool. its so blatantly on the nose and pointless and I hate it. Give me an aquaman comic where he actually does all the cool shit, instead of talking about it in endless dialogue boxes
>>
>>83806900
I thought it was one of the better ones, but what I got out of it was mostly about Black Manta's hateboner and the deluge guys acting out and being stopped. Didn't really think it was about making him cool even though it was mentioned.
>>
>>83806989
do some close reading of it
>>
The #1s were an improvement over rebirth titles, and actually served a purpose.
>>
>>83807021
I don't see why you think I didn't pay attention to what I was reading. Like he was just doing normal superhero stuff, it didn't seem out to prove anything.

I don't mean to imply you should like it though. Just saying I saw it differently.
>>
Green Arrow >>> Batman = Superman > Green Lanterns = Titans

GLs and Titans were okay. Props to Humphries for making two okay issues and too bad Booth is gonna ruin Titans.
>>
>>83806442
>Boy of Murder
What does this meme even mean?
>>
>>83807293
John tried to save his cat with heat vision
>>
>>83807150

Superman's was still decompressed as hell, but I'm willing to blame that on the abuse of two-page spreads.
>>
Loving all of them pretty much. Enjoyed Superman way more than the Rebirth special which I didn't care for much. Titans is the only one I found just kinda okay rather than fantastic, just a lot of nostalgia wank and setup for the actual story.

At any rate, Rebirth is off to a fantastic start.
>>
The best thing about the Rebirth comics is that they've all been pretty solid imo. There hasn't been anything I outright disliked.

That said I expect GLs to start going downhill fast. Rebirth and #1 were solid on their own, but I'm not enjoying the setup for the storyline and I don't expect Humphries to pull it off either way.
>>
BURBANK, CA – DC’s REBIRTH line-wide relaunch continues to be a huge hit with fans, as more issues from the June title lineup head into their second printings. In addition to TITANS: REBIRTH #1, written by Dan Abnett with art by Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund and Andrew Dalhouse, the following new issue #1’s will also be going back to print: SUPERMAN #1 (Peter J. Tomasi, Pat Gleason, Mick Gray, John Kalisz), BATMAN #1 (Tom King, David Finch, Matt Banning, Jordie Bellaire), GREEN LANTERNS #1 (Sam Humphries, Robson Rocha, Jay Leisten, Blond) and GREEN ARROW #1 (Benjamin Percy, Otto Schmidt).

Spinning out of Geoff Johns’ DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1, these titles continue this new universe of storytelling featuring the most iconic characters in comics and the best writers and artists in the business. More titles are scheduled to debut now through October, with many of them appearing on shelves twice monthly, so fans will continue to get more of the excitement and action that’s made DC a fan-favorite for more than 80 years.

Each second printing will feature the comic’s original cover art but will replace the blue curtain image with recolored REBIRTH banners at the top. These issues will arrive in comic retail stores July 13 at the original $2.99 cover price.
BURBANK, CA – DC’s REBIRTH line-wide relaunch continues to be a huge hit with fans, as more issues from the June title lineup head into their second printings. In addition to TITANS: REBIRTH #1, written by Dan Abnett with art by Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund and Andrew Dalhouse, the following new issue #1’s will also be going back to print: SUPERMAN #1 (Peter J. Tomasi, Pat Gleason, Mick Gray, John Kalisz), BATMAN #1 (Tom King, David Finch, Matt Banning, Jordie Bellaire), GREEN LANTERNS #1 (Sam Humphries, Robson Rocha, Jay Leisten, Blond) and GREEN ARROW #1 (Benjamin Percy, Otto Schmidt). ...
>>
>>83807420
Wouldn't call it that decompressed. It still provided some character development and a fitting story within an issue. Enjoyed it more than Batman #1.
>>
>>83806701
Why would DC care about Canadian politics ?
>>
>>83807150
What was even the point of printing rebirth issues? Most of them had no purpose or direction.
>>
File: shut up and take my spongebob.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
shut up and take my spongebob.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>83808202
>the point of printing rebirth issues?
>>
>>83808202
Mostly to catch lapsed readers up on status quo changes. Seems like writers treated them like the DCYou preview pages in function.
>>
>>83808202
Cleaning up continuity before the series begins proper more or less.
>>
>>83806442
>Superman #1 BOOK OF THE WEEK!
story 8/10 art 9/10
>Batman #1
story 5/10 art 9/10
>GL #1
story 7/10 art 8/10
>GA #1
story 8/10 art 9/10
>Titans Rebirth aka Speed Force fixes everything #13,987
story 4/10 art 7/10

>Variant Power ranking
1) Green Lantern
2) Green Arrow
3) Batman
4) Titans
5) Superman

9001) any retailer exclusive variants
>>
>>83808202
The only one that has really mattered so far was the GA one, as it actually set up the premise for the series as well as this current arc. All the other ones felt like glorified previews.
>>
>>83808202
status quo
establish new tone
money
>>
Batman > Green Arrow > Titans > Superman > Green Lanterns

Batman was good.
Green Arrow was good but had some iffy dialogue
Titans had good writing with kind of bad art
Superman and Green Lanterns were mediocre and underwhelming.
>>
File: newrebirthlist.jpg (3 MB, 1200x4773) Image search: [Google]
newrebirthlist.jpg
3 MB, 1200x4773
>>
With the true #1s of four Rebirth books, I think it's off to a great start.

Not gonna rank them, but I'm overall impressed with what we got. Even as a somewhat "quiet" first issue, Superman's focus on Jon (combined with Gleason's great art) came off very well. Batman's superstar team showed off their strength and, pound for pound, I think the book will end up keeping the "epicness" of Snyder's run while also balancing with deeper characterization and nice little references. Green Lanterns was solid, and while not being perfect, there are enough plot threads and other goodies that you can grab on at any point. Green Arrow further proved that Percy knows what he's doing, and Schmidt's art is brilliant.

At least for now, I have no big complaints. GA probably had the most solid ending to its issue, but even then, I'm not too distressed: the biweekly format means we'll get more to these stories very soon. So any feeling of incompleteness will, I think, become less pronounced than any time before.

Given the overall strength, I'm very hyped for next week with its true #1s as well.
>>
All the Rebirth titles this week were great.
>>
Thread's probably dead, but I've been loving it. It's not even that the writing's that great. It's that the candy is the right flavor again.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.