[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great superman origin or greatest?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 480x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 480x738
Great superman origin or greatest?
>>
>>83779825
No. That's the most boring, predictable, pandering and outdated Superman origin. It reads like a bed time story that nobody needed to hear again. The Donner movies still exist, you know.
>>
>>83779825
Birthright is best for being the only one to focus on the college years when everything actually gets invented or explained.
>>
God God no
>>
>>83779825
My favorite is Birthright, followed by Morrison's Action Comics, followed by Man of Steel, followed by... For All Seasons I guess? That was kind of an origin...
>>
horrible.

the original is still the best, followed by morrison's ASS.

a page is all you need. all that krypton stuff is just fluff.
>>
>>83780811
>Krypton is fluff.
Syfy begs to dollar... I mean differ

Man of Steel origin is best followed by ASS and birth
>>
It's unironically my favorite origin. And I've read them all.
>>
Earth One manages to beat out Secret Origin.

That's how milquetoast SO was.

Man of Steel I got issues with but it gets the ball rolling, you know. I don't like minimizing Krypton and having Superman totally disown his alien side but at least MOS felt invigorating.
>>
>>83780993
Earth One had the stupidest villain ever
>>
>>83781040
I honestly can't remember. They were like aliens or something? It's on par with The Parasite literally being a social parasite
>>
>>83779825
You know, I'm a big Superman fan and have read most of his comics yet I can't remember Secret Origins. I'm certain I read it when It came out but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. Did they redo the original Legion of Super-hero story in an issue?
>>
File: really.jpg (24 KB, 496x499) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
24 KB, 496x499
>>83780811
>>83780904

>ASS
>>
File: shiny super ass.jpg (183 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
shiny super ass.jpg
183 KB, 500x500
>>83781143

What's wrong, Morrison's ASS is pretty great!
>>
>>83781109
Yeah, they dedicated a whole issue to re-inserting the Legion into the Superman history.

It's funny because even then that issue is redundant because it was covered in like 4 pages during the Superman and the Legion story in Action Comics
>>
>>83779825
how many origins stories does Supes have anyway?
>>
>>83779825
old mama Martha HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME

Has a nice rack.

Reeve face is a bit unsettling.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-14-21-19-39.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-14-21-19-39.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>Birthright is good
>>
It's more of a companion to Johns' run than a proper origin but I like it
>>
File: image.gif (219 KB, 500x1225) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
219 KB, 500x1225
>>83781295
He has one and the rest is window dressing
>>
>>83781295
There's a new one every decade or so. More then 9?

1.Action Comics Origin in original issue.
2.Earth's ligher gravity gives Superman his power's origin a few months later
3.Retcon sun origin after Supergirl showed up
4. Superboy origin? Did Superboy get his own origin? I assume so but don't remember reading it.
5. 60's put everything together origin where he becomes a citizen of every country. This is the origin most often reprinted in look back books.
7. Superman Black and White paperback ala Untold Legend of Batman (Did I imagine this?)
8) Superman Man of Steel.
9) 80's Secret Orgin series issue
10) 0 issue's from 0 hour? That's more of a retcon to add Kenny Braverman in, don't know if it counts.
11) Birthright
12) Superman Secret Origins
13) Action Comics Reboot.

Am I missing any?
>>
>>83781604
You're missing one where they add in Jor-El and his warning to the council in the 40s
>>
Yeah, that's a pretty fair list.
>>
>>83781479
>Birthright is bad
See, I can do it, too.
>>
Kryptonian lore never really does it for.

prefer to keep their shit weird and vague while playing up Clark's human upbringing.

he's an outcast on either world
>>
>>83782096
I can get not wanting it in an origin but it's still important for building up in-universe history and shit. Just have to find an appropriate time for it like Orlando's going to do in Supergirl.
>>
>>83782096
It can get sticky but full on jettisioning it like Byrne did shows just how un-unique Superman is now that he has countless imitators. The lost cousin, the super dog, visions of a dead father and a world he can only barely comprehend help add to the appeal and story potential
>>
>>83782096
>he's an outcast

Ew
>>
File: image.jpg (355 KB, 554x601) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355 KB, 554x601
>>83782430
>>
>>83782496
>for the first time in many years

Yes, you get the occasional arc where some villain or dickhead columnist or another makes the public question Superman, maybe make him question his own identity a little, but it should never be the status quo.
>>
Birthright is a fantastic story but I think it's a little too liberal with its interpretation

MoS is great and establishes who the character would be for decades and still does. But as an origin story it leaves a bit to be desired.

I think Secret Origin + Action Comics captures and modernizes the best aspects of the Silver Age and Golden Age versions, respectively.

>>83780811
>>83780904
ASS contains a one page summary, not an origin story. If that counts then every comic with a blurb at the beginning describing the origin counts too.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.