[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's Your Webcomic? /hyw/ #283
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113
File: 1453461447691.jpg (328 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1453461447691.jpg
328 KB, 750x750
Share your comic with others!
Link your website and portfolio!
Comment and critique others work!
Previous thread: >>83647455
>>
File: 1453461509857.png (871 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
1453461509857.png
871 KB, 612x792
Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
http://www.myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
http://www.quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: http://senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: http://www.shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: https://www.tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: http://pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' or 'scribblehatch' and they'll add you in.

>*-We also got a DISCORD CHAT going on, ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

>Invisible Ink:
http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
http://chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
https://web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
http://www.blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
http://www.cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
http://miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
>>
>>83776199

first for suck trinity is a scam
>>
File: 2016-07-07.jpg (60 KB, 345x450) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-07.jpg
60 KB, 345x450
Second for cows?
>>
File: page 3 final 980px.png (1 MB, 980x1517) Image search: [Google]
page 3 final 980px.png
1 MB, 980x1517
TOTALLY forgot to comment on this one.

>>83767262
There's the obvious color-coded bubbles, like we use in Miss Melee, but it's only obvious from the start that it's X character if that character has a specific color associated with them, which you use as the background for the color-coded bubble, like I do with Miss Melee and purple when she's narrating or thinking. Otherwise, if you want to do color coding, it'll take a short bit (as little as one page if you do it right) for the reader to get that "OK, this color is with THIS character, and THAT color is with THAT character, etc." Or, you could do a thing I see occasionally where they put the character's head at the corner of the bubble or narration box.

You can see how I handle color-coded text boxes, yellow background for general narration or a non-MM character speaking off-panel (but not FROM off-panel, if that makes any sense), and purple for Miss Melee herself.
>>
>>83776227
Now Dewd finally has something to blame for the failure of his comic "career". Now he won't learn anything and keep telling himself that his art is good.
>>
REposatn

Not sure if this dialogue in panels 6-8 actually flows bad or if I've just stared at it for too long.

>>83776306
Yeah, that'd work, but it feels a bit out of place here, I think. I've already used coloured speech bubbles to denote inhuman voices, like ghost speech, talking cats or people in the throes of possession. Maybe just a light tint, rather than full on brightly colored bubbles. That'd fix the issues with the bubbles not standing out very well against the white sky, too.
Having little chibi faces next to the bubbles works well (and it lets you see the character's face, too), but it always seems super silly to me, so that's an option of last resort.
>>
File: LONGFALL warmup.png (1010 KB, 780x741) Image search: [Google]
LONGFALL warmup.png
1010 KB, 780x741
Been writing my first season's penultimate episode, ''Bedfellow''. A lot of loose ends to keep track of when heading into the finale, ''What We Become In The Dark''.

After I'm done writing this season, I can finally start developing the visual side of things and after some feedback and editing, hopefully I'll make this a real comic. Hundreds of pages to draw, Jesus, it's pretty overwhelming when I think about it now.
>>
>>83776297
Is this intentionally drawing a parallel between the woman's eternal pregnancy and the way milk cows are regularly inseminated to keep their milk production high?

>>83776958
>seasons
>episodes
>comics
Whaaaa
>>
File: Batman01_005.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2209) Image search: [Google]
Batman01_005.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2209
On the topic of color coding narration boxes, here's a slightly different take on it by you-know-who, pic related.

I myself prefer to focus on the character as they begin narrating, readers will assume they're narrating and will continue to do so unless you do something to make them think otherwise. I feel that this trick can be performed much more subtly with some proper camera work and composition.
>>
>>83777110
I like to treat my comic as a ''tv show''.
>>
>>83777110
>Is this intentionally drawing a parallel between the woman's eternal pregnancy and the way milk cows are regularly inseminated to keep their milk production high?

I figured they're at a cow farm I better draws some cows. Then again you probably knew that.
>>
>>83777177
Any particular reason?

>>83777203
No, I was just struck by the similarity and wondered if it was intentional.
>>
>>83777393
Eh, just comes more naturally and makes more sense to me personally, than talking about chapters and volumes and all that. I watch tv more than I read so that's probably why I use tv terms.

Also, as long as we understand each other, the words don't matter to me.
>>
File: THE COMIC 5.1.png (70 KB, 1234x660) Image search: [Google]
THE COMIC 5.1.png
70 KB, 1234x660
I guess I repost mine and hopefully to

>>83776919
Wow, I really love the nigtmare carrian girl design.

It look like you been watching the movie called the "fly". Or a movie with the freaky witches.
>>
>>83776919
>Yeah, that'd work, but it feels a bit out of place here, I think
You're totally right. It's a method that's better suited to a humor comic or a slice of life.
>>
>>83777526
>I guess I repost mine and hopefully to

Snap, I was too distracted by the Carrion girl comic. I'm going to say that I am going to finish two pages and redraw "THE COMIC 4" this week.
>>
>>83776919
oh oh oh i know
skeggy's word bubbles are spiky on top
skalmy's have a pointy nose poking out of one side (though that would be confused with the bubble's tail...)
>>
>>83777526
Thanks!
I think you're thinking of "The Witches" from 1990. I think the monster designs from both of those movies are a lot more slimy-gross than Skögul here, but I'll happily take any compliment thrown my way.

>>83777569
Well, I wouldn't say it's inherently less serious to have sometimes-colored speech bubbles, just that it's a wonky fit for the way I treat speech bubbles.
>>
>>83777522
that's how i tend to write stories. i still call my comics episodes sometimes.
>>
>>83777526
>money in his back
Unless it's literally inside of his body, it should be either "on his back" or "in his pack"

>I am sick of sharing my stuff to jerks
Think this should be "I WAS sick of sharing my stuff WITH jerks".
Personally I'd make it "with those jerks".

>steal a item from it
Should be "steal AN item" because "item" starts with a vowel.
>>
>>83778233
Heh, that'd work too. Seems a little more silly than I'd want, though.
>>
>>83778249
Oh, no, I was talking about the
>put the character's head at the corner of the bubble or narration box
Which is what I thought you were originally referring to.
>>
>>83778475
a little. but i think it's the best compromise, since your comic already has word balloons as its sole conceit, even eschewing motion lines
>>
File: collab.png (13 KB, 493x614) Image search: [Google]
collab.png
13 KB, 493x614
>>83778416
Thanks anon.

I wish I can marry you and absorb all your grammar knowledge.
>>
>>83778917
Well, I think I can pull it off with just writing, or even changing the panels a bit. Else I'll do some subtle coloring, like having the tails fade to a pale yellow or red. Literally shaping the balloons like the characters' heads is getting a bit too cartoony.
>>
>>83779124
>I wish I can marry you
Should be "COULD marry you" but I'll be darned if I can explain why tenses work that way for hypotheticals.

Anyway, at the rate you've been improving we'd be just another blip on the divorce statistics before too long.
>>
>>83779305
hypotheticals are weird
i still mostly reject that whole 'changing was to were in hypotheticals' bullshit.
>>
File: 2016-06-14 20.19.57.jpg (720 KB, 1248x1000) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-14 20.19.57.jpg
720 KB, 1248x1000
So far behind. Stupid life keeps happening.
>>
>>83779972
c'thulu-chan is so kawaii
>>
>randomly occurs to me to make a character kind of embarrassed about the dramatic thing they're saying, and have them just interrupt, turn to the others, say 'this is stupid' in an inset panel, but be egged on to do it anyway, then continue as normal
>but no matter how i think about it, that wouldn't be in-character
this is one of those things where if i write down to do it later, i'll forget what the fuck i'm talking about and never integrate it into anything I do in the future
>>
File: 058.jpg (549 KB, 1068x800) Image search: [Google]
058.jpg
549 KB, 1068x800
After what seemed like an eternity, I finished the second saga of Knockdown Bitches! If anyone could give it a read and tell me what you think, it'll be greatly appreciated! It starts from here: http://knockdownbitches.tumblr.com/post/125808146962/024-in-which-someone-refuses-to-chill-were
>>
Do any of y'all shill your shit on IG? Getting ready to drop my comic but want to get some buzz too.
>>
>>83781574
I have a friend who's a professional photographer and she has a massive following on Instagram, but that's photography. I doubt it's anywhere near as effective for comics.
>>
File: Chel's weebshit.png (294 KB, 401x250) Image search: [Google]
Chel's weebshit.png
294 KB, 401x250
This week's update finally has the kids back in focus. I really missed writing them. Four-pager.

>>83781574
Shilling within the Imperial Guard is a misconduct worthy of flogging. And that's if the Commissar is feeling generous. The Commissar never feels the good sort of generous.

>>83779972
>poot
I love that creepy cat.

>>83777393
>Any particular reason?
We do that too. More of a pacing thing to keep in mind. Sometimes themes and events go on for more than one issue, or just part of one issue to be picked up again later on a more subtle level. It is more tv-based thinking than monthly comic-book thinking in terms of pacing and story structure; or at least that's how I think of it.

>>83777118
>>83776919
Color-coded boxes can work. When Aethon talks out of focus his bubbles are orange-lined and his lettering is red. Conrad had a yellow/red thing. Crops up more with Jam and Sammy who are red/blue respectively.. But those were just the lines around the bubble rather than the bubble itself (for the most part). Though you don't seem to use lined bubbles.

>>83776227
They courted us, but their terms were't desirable for our work and their website left a lot to be desired. It is always nice to be wanted, I suppose. But we opted away. That video for an intended hashtag campaign was also somewhat cringe-inducing. A windy day, a fedora, and using the camera microphone do not make for appealing marketing strategies within this genre; especially when coupled with the typos and poor site design.

>>83781289
Write out the scene and save it, along with the note of what you were going for. "How is this my life" moments are always kind of fun to do.
>>
>>83782088
forgot your links!
not that you need em or anything
>>
>>83782192
Oh we haven't updated yet. It is only Tuesday.
But thanks for that.
>>
>>83782315
Yeah I thought it was a little early. but you said shit like 'this week's update' and '4-pager' and my mouthdogs got all pavslobbery
>>
>>83782434
My bad mate. Just here to post one panel that doesn't really spoil anything or isn't unintentionally lewd.

Plus so I could post some of the other things. How is your comic going?
>>
>>83782544
lately sketching seems to take 2 days and linearting 2 days, leaving me very little time to color when i'm trying to do the whole thing in 2 days. something's wrong as fuck with me, i'm getting distracted too easily.

still, results are fine. starting to feel that weird feeling of knowing i'm winding down soon, and how fucking weird that's going to be when it's been a nearly-every-day part of my life for this many years. i mean it was weird enough last time, but i had college to kind of mask the transition
>>
>>83782625
Well it is summer. Maybe go take a swim, have a you-day, acclimate. I can only really get back to writing proper if I spend a day digging a pit.

What's your next project looking like? And when do you expect to be done? I'll try to get out my critique before the end date if possible; but it is a lot to sift through.
>>
>>83782919
as soon as i can find a clothing optional swimming location, maybe. right now it's hot as fuck and i hate it. also frizzy hair and rashy skin, swimming isn't my best thing.
>next project
well there'll always be more kiwi day someday. current plan is (trying not to overplan because i'll get too attached and be unable to give it the time it deserves to incubate.. and also i need to get better first)
>regular dude with lion ears and tail, searchin for his dad. possibly home village destroyed in RPG cliche.
>yellowgreen-haired tan airhead girl
>cute cloaked albino vampire girl
>Cal, Soroban and Ninjin's kid
all go adventuring in the same ol' lands except a group of dinosaur people (based on a torn-off-tape-stain i looked at every day on a bus stop wall for years) has moved in claiming it was their territory all along, and changing up the status quo.
but in between, I've always wanted to do a Prequel-except-Zelda-instead-of-whatever-game-Prequel-is
>when do I expect to be done
like... a year? Probably inside of a year. It'd be neat if the number ended up being 999 again, but I doubt that'll happen. Like, about how long it took them to get through Kinda-Asia.. which I think was about 14 months.
>>
>>83776199
I don't have any new previews to post. This is the last page of chapter one and a lot of the panels could be a bit spoilery.

Actually lost like an hour or three of progress when photoshop crashed. It was pretty disheartening, but I managed to redo it all and gain some ground after that.

Oh, and I'm still looking for guest pages to run between chapters. If anyone has the time or inclination. I'm armguy on tumblr if you want to get in touch.
>>
>>83779972
>that smile
Delightful.
>>
File: page 30.png (910 KB, 1125x1650) Image search: [Google]
page 30.png
910 KB, 1125x1650
Finished this page!
>>
>>83784233
>that feel when you want to protect that smile but that smile could kill you six ways from gatilsday and really doesn't need your help
>>
File: 20160614_232152-1.jpg (3 MB, 2054x2434) Image search: [Google]
20160614_232152-1.jpg
3 MB, 2054x2434
>>83784233
Danka.

>>83784136
If I can make a page of the prince dude I'll do it.
>>
>>83784573
That would be awesome!
>>
eBump
>>
Hello, fools.

Y'all get your Hiveworks submissions in proper and on time?
>>
File: Ciablur.jpg (18 KB, 193x200) Image search: [Google]
Ciablur.jpg
18 KB, 193x200
>Making a rough drawing for a face in a panel
>Like it a lot
>Clean it up, adding construction and better perspective
>Doesn't look as good

JFMSU
>>
>>83786814
happens all the goddamn time. some of it's because you fill in gaps in sketches in a positive way
>>
>>83786814
Maybe try keeping the looseness of your sketch somehow and don't be too rigid with you construction? Sometimes a more "off-model" drawing is more appealing that way.
>>
File: ww.png (639 KB, 782x682) Image search: [Google]
ww.png
639 KB, 782x682
>>83786524
Yes, and I'm in it to win it, baby!

Seriously, though, I haven't. But would be cool. I'm sure.
>>
File: 1451689827692.png (54 KB, 657x788) Image search: [Google]
1451689827692.png
54 KB, 657x788
>tfw a cute girl asks you what your hobbies are but your comic is so embarrassingly awful that you went with video games instead
>>
File: cc011w.png (405 KB, 772x988) Image search: [Google]
cc011w.png
405 KB, 772x988
coming along a bit
>>
yall aint shit
>>
>>83787700
the scene of a bunch of witches unironically wearing hats like that is absolutely darling. is it just in her imagination or are they really like that
>>
>>83788235
it's a brief flashback to her time as a cultist
>>
>>83788267
that is great. it is so great
and also this comic is expressive as all fuck
>>
>>83788306
thanks! It always worries me whether or not people will like the comic
>>
File: ttttt.png (1 MB, 1600x1800) Image search: [Google]
ttttt.png
1 MB, 1600x1800
A page i finished for a short thing I'm working on
Like doing things in shades of blue rather than just black
>>
File: clone.gif (280 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
clone.gif
280 KB, 500x383
welp the drivers of my tablet don't want to work, again

i used to have this problem before but i usually fixed it by just going to services and restarting, or just restarting my computer with my tablet connected but now that doesn't work anymore

anyone here knows more ways to fix this?
>>
>>83789307
It's a sign to stop drawing.
>>
>>83789307
Have you tried, y'know, un- and re-installing them?

I just fucking formatted my hdd and have re-installed everything, including upgrading Photoshop to fix the issue of PS hemorrhaging memory.
>>
>>83789716
On that note,
>22 minutes remaining to install 'Camera Profiles Installer.'
>I will literally never use this.
>I don't even have an reaction pics left.
>>
File: good night anna.png (162 KB, 289x332) Image search: [Google]
good night anna.png
162 KB, 289x332
YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE GOOD SLEEP ANNABETH!

GOOD LUCK WILL INLY COME YOUR WAY IF YOUR RESPOND "Sleep tight anna" TO THIS POST.
>>
File: hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.gif (60 KB, 656x327) Image search: [Google]
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.gif
60 KB, 656x327
I'M GONNA DO IT

I'M
GONNA
consign myself to eight weeks of internal screaming
>>
>>83790085
>stupid meme shitposts
>bad spelling of simple words like "only"
>not even an image of the character he's talking about

Dewd please stop
>>
File: image.jpg (845 KB, 2591x1207) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
845 KB, 2591x1207
After literally years of writing comics and lurking these threads but being unable to find an artist for my comics I have finally decided to say fuck it and try to do it on my own even though I have the drawing skills of a ten year old.

I really hate to abandon my other concepts since they're much better than this but I don't have the ability to adapt them even remotely satisfactory.

Anyway, here's the chapter 1 thumbnails for my WIP, space warden, a sci-fi comedy about space prison, space inmates, space riots and other prison related stuff... In space.

On a related note, where should I publish my webcomic? I don't want to go through the trouble of creating my own site and I don't expect to make money off it. Topastic? Somewhere else?
>>
>>83784292
So, Jack says he knows the guy next to his dad...but then he doesn't remember him.

>>83791361
Hey now, it's not like browsers have built-in spellcheck in them or anything. You can't blame Dewd, it's not like spellcheck is a basic feature that's been in browsers for over a decade now.
>>
>>83791552
>IT'S NOT LIKE "ONLY" IS A BASIC FUCKING FOUR LETTER WORD
>>
>>83791500
Ganbatte, Anon!
There's Tapastic, Comicfury, Tumblr... Probably some other places that are just as good.
>>
>>83791500
You should spend a year or more getting good at art first.
>>
>>83791613
Nah, he can get good while he's drawing comics. Going "oh, but I'm not good enough yet, I have to wait" is going to result in procrastination and a lack of motivation.
Definitely worth it to practice on the side, though.
>>
File: image.png (128 KB, 581x443) Image search: [Google]
image.png
128 KB, 581x443
>>83791604
Thanks anon. Can I release my comic on different sites like that simultaneously or will I get in trouble for that? It's not like you sign over your copyright as with real life publishers, right?
>>
>>83791724
I know Comicfury explicitly allows it, and I've never heard of anyone getting banned for it (I think The Green Knight and The Sisters from these threads both host on Tapastic as well as their own sites with no issue).
>>
File: Wolf Riding Size shenanigans.png (390 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Wolf Riding Size shenanigans.png
390 KB, 2000x1000
Does this seem like a reasonable size between a wolf and a rider?
I didn't want to make the wolf too unreasonably big, but I also don't want it to look too silly when Skalmöld's riding it.
>>
>>83791642
This is the most invaluable piece of advice I can give any creator desu
>>
>>83791642
dewd pls go
>>
>>83786814

Say what you want about tumblr, but it knows the feels of an artist.
>>
>>83792343

3rd one looks best. Also, I think you should draw more nudes. Suddenly all your characters (or at least the girls) are nudists.
>>
File: congratulations.jpg (37 KB, 600x453) Image search: [Google]
congratulations.jpg
37 KB, 600x453
>>83784292
>no glaring spelling errors or grammar mistakes

Congratulations
>>
>>83784136

New versions of PS have an autosave feature. FUCKING FINALLY

>>83784573

Kawaii.
>>
>>83793120
>3rd one looks best
>I was trying to make them all the same relative size

As for nudism, I don't think it would work out so well in winter.
>>
>>83793162
After months of people screaming at Dewd to type his dialogue in Word to spell and grammar check it, he finally started doing it.
>>
>>83793089
Sketch on the left is atrocious desu
>>
>>83791552
he has a wall of pictures, as i recall from a long-ass time ago.
browsers have spellcheck now? yeesh
>>
>>83792343
realistically no, that's maybe a 250 pound wolf.
buuuut if it's even a little bit magic it should be able to carry her okay. in terms of basic physics as long as he was strong enough for his back not to buckle, it's not like her feet are dragging on the ground (as long as she rides sidesaddle like that all the time)
i used to think just 'big / more rideable versions of animals' were the dumbest things to add to fiction, but i dig them now, and there seems to be more tradition behind wargs than solely tolkien. I say go for the big size. Not too ludicrous, not like.. mononoke hime huge, but like, liger huge.
>>83793120
cant disagree with this. love me a scandinavian attitude towards the body
>>83793244
inside it does!
>>83793292
though that isn't enough, because of homonyms. we also told him to write down little notes for the easily confused words, and he did. good job little guy.
>>
>>83795419
He's still a retard.

Evidence: he signed on with Blu trinity Publishing, which is one level of competence away from scam.
>>
>>83791552
Yeah, he just looks kind of familiar. But then leafy magically gives him the knowledge who he is.

>>83795030
Those were only memories he was recording after he joined the team.

And even then, they all went up in flames after the house blew up.
>>
>>83796406
ohh yeah. okay i'm up to speed now
you know when this is all over i think you're going to have a pretty good story to look back on. and that's not something i ever expected to care about in this comic
>>
>>83796106
Well, Harro joined them too.
>>
>>83796792
There's a lot of people in this thread that seem quite ready to hand of their comics. >>83786524 I guess seeing it as some kinda of level of "making it."

Getting asked, even if by a nobody, is probably exciting. Even though it's just as possible to do it yourself without the middleman.
>>
>>83796903
I'd rather make it on my own terms, or at least somewhere where I fit in better.
If there was some kind of 'league of retro webcomics' (i guess we'd call it a 'webring') i'd hop on that train
>>
>>83796792
Harro made a mistake.

Dewd deserves the bad deal, because he's an idiot and his comic is garbage.

But Harro is far too talented to be slumming it up with a shitty publisher like that.
>>
File: page 31.png (568 KB, 1125x1650) Image search: [Google]
page 31.png
568 KB, 1125x1650
WIP of the last page in this chapter!
>>
>>83797618
So, you finally decided to get rid of the subtlety?
>>
>>83797618
It's not even in his mouth you lazy cunt.
>>
>>83797585
>bad deal
I'd say the publisher got the bad end of that deal, considering his grade school art project of a comic makes the catalog look like a joke.
>>
>>83797698
Well, It's a work in progress, I'll get when I get back to it.
>>
How many of /hyw/ -visitors sent a submission to HW this year?

I'd like to know about your experiences with it. How long did you work on the submission, was it your first time submitting a pitch and how many pages have you posted online atm or did you pitch an entirely new comic?
>>
>>83797618
cliffhangerrr
hahahahaha he's got three stogies. somehow that's amusing as balls to me.
>>
>>83797970
Our submission didn't take that long to work on, I think a week or two, mostly because the part that would take the most work, the comic pages (and to a much lesser extent the thumbnails), was already done since our comic isn't a brand new one we're pitching. All we had to do was write the pitch and get some character model sheets done.
>>
File: 1450934706307.gif (197 KB, 462x326) Image search: [Google]
1450934706307.gif
197 KB, 462x326
Only two paths to take when making a webcomic: you either write a weeb fiction and try to emulate the asians or make an anime parody and be down with encyclopedia dramatica crowd.
>>
File: Pitch Cover.png (859 KB, 494x592) Image search: [Google]
Pitch Cover.png
859 KB, 494x592
>>83797970
I think it took us three or four days to get the wording right, but we were prepping it prior to the submission period. Isn't our first pitch, but it is our first pitch of our webcomic. We've got like 250 pages online for our first arc, and we're about to be 12 pages into our second.

>>83796903
>Getting asked, even by a nobody, is probably exciting.
It is always nice to feel appreciated, but there are varying levels of it. Getting appreciated by Paul Sheldon is vastly different than getting appreciated by Annie Wilkes.

But when contracts come into play and terms get discussed, the smarter move is to consult someone with knowledge in those fields before you let that excitement take you anywhere else.

>>83799806
Follow your kokoro senpai.
>>
>>83799928
yeah it's important to remember what lwaxana troi said
"contracts are for people who don't trust each other"

and unfortunately even in this century, they're written specifically to confuse, so that you have to consult someone who intimately understands them in order to reliably avoid being suckered. It's like secret agent spy shit, fucking each other over is somehow a tolerated, even expected aspect of it. yet each side defends their behavior by saying this is the only way to survive the attack of the other.
>>
>>83800035
Well I mean, I did law school for a bit and used to work for a firm so I understand contracts. And they used a boilerplate one you can buy online. Contracts really exist to ensure that nobody suffers and everyone gets what they signed up for; the issue is that you have to define things down to minutia to really get to the heart of matters. Which does make them really confusing and easy to use to sucker someone in. If you have two people who know contracts, then you can get a good agreement on the table that is mutually beneficial; not that there's anything wrong with boilerplate in some circumstances.

Which is not to say that Blu Trinity is a scam, but rather they're very new in a field that is old and filled with risks that one can't generally afford to take. Throw in the worth of IPs nowadays, their hashtag campaign video (and lack of subsequent updates), website grammatical issues and general poor design--the whole thing becomes something you ought to be far more cautious of signing on with.

Appearances are important, especially in a field of business based on selling visuals. Ultimately doing your due diligence should give you a clear picture of who you should strive to sign on with, emulate as a business, or at least who you should avoid giving your stuff to.

But those are just my two cents.
>>
>>83800366
i'm sure they're just amateurs. nothin wrong with amateurs working with other amateurs. you don't expect a masterpiece tv show to air on a cable access channel, but that doesn't make them suspicious.
it's worth keeping an eye on though, of course. worth keeping one's eyes open.
>>
>Have someone random copyedit my Hiveworks pitch doc
>They don't find any flaws
>Then they immediately want to chat about their ideas for my webcomic and show off their interest a bunch

This could be good. This could be a good pitch. Hiveworks please. Please.
>>
>>83800481
you wouldn't be pitching it if you weren't already pretty good, right? even if you don't make it, you're impressive to me.
>>
>>83796903
You should have seen how many people Jim approached to join Blu Trinity. It was a lot just from /hyw/. And only two of them accepted, one of those two being a complete idiot.

My personal dealings with Blu Trinity were not good. Their terms didn't seem very beneficial to me and there was an air of incompetence and lack of communication in everything they did.
>>
>>83791642
I stopped for a year and just focused my art and it really made a hge difference. I don't have anything resembling a motivation issue, though.
>>
>>83800562
>he didn't approach me
i-it's just because my comic isn't in easily printed page form, r-right?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I'm not ready for publication as an artist or writer. This is just a practice comic.
>>
File: 1396718048203.jpg (37 KB, 662x684) Image search: [Google]
1396718048203.jpg
37 KB, 662x684
>>83801292
>tfw your comic is so bad not even hacks with zero standards want to publish it
>>
File: 1465844723519.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1465844723519.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>83797723
The publisher deserves the bad deal they got too. They saw this shitty cover Dewd thoughtlessly made and thought it was OK to print. ONE OF THE CHARACTERS IS COVERED UP BY THE TITLE. ESPECIALLY with all the potential negative space on the right side of the cover he could have stuck Sarah in by moving SD over a little bit. You KNOW Dewd didn't think for one second about it. He drew the cover then stuck the title there because the title goes at the top, then sent it in, AND THOSE MORONS APPROVED IT. The level of incompetency on all sides is unreal.
>>
>>83801986
>hey let's keep harping on the tiny details of something we already know is kind of generally amateur
put this energy into your comic, anon
also, the joke has already been explained to you. her face is covered because she's lol ugly, and the Os in book are over her boobs

jesus, if you don't like it, don't buy it. this comic didn't run over your pet raisin
>>
>>83802035
Shut the fuck up and let the man complain dude.
>>
Drawing someone scratching his crotch is hard.
What are you all currently struggling with?
>>
>>83776199
Going ok. Working on a setting before getting art done. How does this setting sound

>very Early industrial fantasy setting
>Two main factions control the majority of the world
>The Soulbound are the religious hierarchy who believe that only by following the Gods and their acolytes can humanity survive against the wide range of monsters roaming the lands
>The Children of Autumn are the other faction who believe that Industrialization is the way of the future an have taken this to the extreme by beginning to physically enhance people with machine parts.
>>
>>83802081
howbout you let me complain about his complaining
do you go around at restaurants criticizing people's order, or the quality of the food they got served?
>>
>>83802106
I can't tell if that would be really fun or painfully generic. It kinda sounds like youre working on the wrong parts of the setting first. what kinda stories are there going to be? Like, do they just fight in standard wars? Or is there something a little more interesting going around, like subterfuge or uncovering mysteries related to the setting?
>>
Any good tutorials for making onomatopoeia text? It's all I need to finish a current page I'm on.

Also, are animated segments too much of a Homestuck thing?
>>
>>83802109
>food analogy
Even though he's wrong about Dewd not thinking about the cover design, he's right that it's pretty bad. There are better ways to accomplish the same effect and the composition is pretty bad.

But really, complaining about complaints about complaints about complaints? That's like going on an anonymous image board and insulting anyone who dislikes your comic.
>>
>>83802035
Sarah isn't ugly though, she's easily the qt-est grill in all of West Tree.
>>
File: Screenshot (24).png (797 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (24).png
797 KB, 1920x1080
I am the worst employee. Not like there's much to do right now anyway. I'll be able to sleep tonight so yay.
>>
>>83802035
The fact that you think ANYONE would pay for this is hilarious. You could pass these out for free and at the end of the day you'd find the nearest garbage can filled to the brim with them.

I would accuse you of being the retard himself, but I know he has a friend/caretaker/diaper-changer posting here who corrects his mistakes/feigns interest sometimes.
>>
>>83802242
Better to get creative with that. Make the letters look like the sound sounds! Reach inside yourself.
animated segments are awesome, I wish I had done them all along.
>>83802253
it's more that he repeated himself. everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you don't harp on it.
>>
>>83802158

So the Faction's relation towards each other is complicated. The Soulbound believe that the Children of Autumn all heretics and should be destroyed but acknowledge the fact that they're much stronger than themselves. The Children of Autumn don't really care if you support them or not and just want to do their own thing.

So the story itself is going to focus on a rebel fighting in a small Kingdom not affiliated with either faction. He's going to find out that there is a small group of radicals in the Children of Autumn who are secret trying to start a war between the two factions.
>>
>>83802255
hence 'lol ugly'. like that's her joke, just like meg griffin, but she isn't really that ugly
welll to me she is
>>83802394
p5ot? psot?
>>
>>83802663
Well, from the text perspective, I meant specifically the mechanical parts of warping text into the proper shapes and angles, without making it look smeary
>>
>>83802485
>The fact that you think ANYONE would pay for this is hilarious.
I guess it would be if I said that.. buuut.. I didn't? that's kind of my point? nobody's going to buy it, so maybe it's upsetting you a little too much that it's daring to go on sale.
>>
>>83802394
Cats farting is NOT cute.
>>
>>83802671
there we go, i like this. asymmetrical aggression and attempted instigation of war. that's gonna make this setting pretty cool
>>83802712
oh, that.
you using photoshop? play around with the various transform tools. warp, perspective, all of those puppies are pretty useful. As for keeping it from looking smeary, unfortunately you have to go into the preferences and change the setting for image interpolation to 'nearest neighbor'
now all your resizing will look pixely and terrible (which i kind of like) but your warped text won't be all blurry and messed up
you can always change it back afterwards. and you can manually select bicubic when you, say, resize for the final display size.
>>
>>83802775
In my experience it smells the color of peanut butter, only incredibly spicy and acrid.
>>
>>83802394
poot. it was a layer error. I fixed it.
>>
>>83802791
I could use photoshop, but I'm using CSP primarily, especially since it has better vector support than my edition of PS
>>
>>83802775
I dunno, I think its funny when my cats do it. I am easily amused by cats though.
>>
>>83802837
clipstudio is fantastic, i'm sure it has similar options and tools. it's basically everything photoshop is but better.
>>
File: 1334091391369.png (275 KB, 421x427) Image search: [Google]
1334091391369.png
275 KB, 421x427
>>83801986
>it's actually real
It's embarrassing to even share a thread with this kind of shit. Wish he'd fuck off like the other 2 tripfags.
>>
>>83802671
>>83802158
I like it. A little generic sounding but I kinda like that stuff
>>
File: JADALBRS005b.png (338 KB, 1000x1424) Image search: [Google]
JADALBRS005b.png
338 KB, 1000x1424
Little update for Cold. The placeholder balloon is going to have any attack name I can find in there when I go for the final version.

So far, this crossover is the only one planned from the ground to be in colour, so I feel these two pages I've got so far somehow don't make your characters any justice.
>>
File: Wolf Riding Size shenanigans 2.png (511 KB, 1624x1028) Image search: [Google]
Wolf Riding Size shenanigans 2.png
511 KB, 1624x1028
>>83795419
Maybe I'll scale it up a little bit so that her navel is about shoulder height for it - 100 cm at the withers is a record-setting height for a gray wolf, but not completely outside of the realms of the possible with proper breeding (IIRC there've been dogs slightly bigger than that). Not that I really need to stay within the realm of the possible when I've got monsters like Fenris*, Hati and Sköll running about.
>as long as she rides sidesaddle like that all the time
Well, there's no way to look dignified while wearing a dress and sitting astride a horse or wolf, so I figured she'd ride side-saddle**.

>inside it does!
Eh, even modern houses can get pretty chilly in winter, and viking age houses needed to have a constant airflow to keep everyone from dying of smoke inhalation. Not to mention, if everyone's naked, how will you show off your sick-ass brooches?

*That reminds me, it's always bothered me a little bit that the name "Fenrir" is what's commonly used in English works, because in all the stories I heard as a kid and all the modern Scandinavian languages as far as I can tell, it's far more common to call him "The Fenris-Wolf" or just "Fenris". Nobody would have any problem if I used those names for him, right?

**well there's no saddle because the wolf is a symbol of the untamable and terrifying wild in Norse myth and putting a saddle or reins on it would completely defeat that, but you get my point
>>
I'm out of the loop. What's all this about a publisher? Is it new? Are people paying for it?

Disgraceful. Why not just self-publish on Gumroad or Sellfy or print your shit and sell physical copies through Etsy or Storenvy or whatever the kids are doing these days? I think there are even online places that will print your comics for you in floppy size, as long as you don't mind the gigantic ads in the back of the book. Joining a brand-new publisher sounds like a hassle for everyone involved.

Also, Dewd, that cover really is atrocious.
>>
>>83803698
>vibrating with excitement
this is all my fantasies come true i tell you what. s'doin them major justice.* i've never had full-on comic-form fanart before
oop, that should be sluggish*
Hmmm what's a good attack name.. I don't remember if she ever used special attack names with just the sword, without sending out watery energy cutters...
maybe just Waterfall Slash would work
*i mean uzi's thing is she can reflect any attack but that doesnt mean you have to stick with that. I found it handicapped me hard choreographing the fights. besides maybe she thought she dodged it, and only didn't manage to because her tits are bigger now
because she modified her form to be a better copy of mizu's
who has had a kid in the intervening years and is thus boobier now
and uzi is... if i've counted it right.. like barely 6 years old, being a clone.. and has modified her body several times.
>>
>>83803710
I've always wondered about that too, because i heard fenrir sometimes and fenris other times. For your comic I'd say stick with authenticity, not recognizability.
**I just assumed that saddle is a word we came up with later to just describe what we had already been calling 'sitting on something' since it obviously has the same root words as sat

also that sketchy fluffy mule is cute. it's a mule right? looks like one

wait, they didnt have chimneys? shiiit.
>>
File: cover.jpg (36 KB, 231x311) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
36 KB, 231x311
>>83801986
That's some fiiiine design work ther.
>>
>>83803914
I found a bit about her in the archive, but I went with my own thing for the sake of wardrobe malfunction. Next page will stick closer to source material, promise.

For the time being, don bother your head with giving me info on attack names until I get on the colouring stage, I'm sure I'll end up asking again later.
>>
>>83804081
you do whatever you want man, fancomics are like babysitters.. they have their own rules and that is part of why they're fun
my only concern right now is how i'm going to put this on the site. I think I'll put a special link on the links page, embedded in the description for your comic.. which i need to add.
>>
>>83802035

The problem is that people in this thread don't care about the joke. That's not going to sell the comic. Nobody is going to look at that badly drawn cover and think "oh man, that joke from Monsters Inc., I gotta buy this comic right now!"

They're going to think "why would I pay $12 for this?"

If you see someone constantly putting a fork in the socket and electrocuting themselves, you're going to run out of popcorn and eventually tell them to stop doing that.
>>
File: rococo_01_20_2016JUN15.jpg (246 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
rococo_01_20_2016JUN15.jpg
246 KB, 850x1200
This is the second squad of magical girl that I will be showing off in this chapters. I want to show a few other groups more with staple characters in them before I wrap it up.

On the left is Scarlet Song, and on the right is Charlotte Chen. They belong to the squad called "fire team red" which is a small portion of a faction led by an immortal flame witch name Ruby Sapphire. They are generations of warriors that are dedicated to fighting against an ancient time traveling evil goddess trying to incarnate into the modern world.

They will get proper introduction eventually, but I just wanted to give them some face time. There will be many different squads of magical girls or some other type of characters. Some will be fighting against one another. The goal is to have like an OG super robot war type of scenarios but with magical girls.
>>
>>83804156
I was wondering why that was posted. was that intentional?
it's not really the same joke..
I don't think 'not putting sarah behind the title' is going to make a discernible difference in its appeal really. do you? you're being overdramatic, but even using your metaphor it's like you're criticizing how many prongs the fork has
>>
>>83804184
might be pretty cool. this kind of thing definitely suits your art style
>>
>>83804225

Okay, you're the publisher now and this cover has been sent to you. What do you do?
>>
>>83804156
>If you see someone constantly putting a fork in the socket and electrocuting themselves, you're going to run out of popcorn and eventually tell them to stop doing that
Nah, I'm just going to get bored and leave. I've given up trying to help Dewd. He's Scribblehatch-tier when it comes to accepting criticism. Why waste the effort when you know they're not gonna listen.
>>
>>83804323
i would have looked at his stuff prior to ever agreeing to publish it, i reckon.
going by the standards of west tree, i would say this is pretty good. it has a gag with the title, it has shading and shadows.. it accurately represents the art you would find inside.. so i guess i'd be fine with it. though i'd give him more time to add more information if he wants. something appealing, some kind of blurb...
>>
>>83804184
Godspeed.
>>
>>83803698
It seems a little strange that you're covering up her breasts in the final panel - IIRC your comic's not afraid to show nudity, and CF revels in it, so having it censored in the crossover is kind of weird.

>>83803970
I honestly didn't know other people had used Fenris in English. I wasn't wondering if it was going to be confusing because I was thinking of going with Fenrir exclusively or anything, just wondering how much explanation I'd need to do - if the average reader would go "Fenris Wolf? Oh, that must be another name for Fenrir" or if I'd need to spend time explaining.

I believe the "side saddle" technically refers to the saddle designed for the purpose. The riding position is known as "sitting aside" (as opposed to "astride").

It's technically supposed to be a fluffy Icelandic-style ponyhorse, but I messed up the muzzle so I can see where you're coming from. I was just putting it there to get a sense of scale.

I think there's some evidence that some viking longhouses had chimneys, but the consensus seems to be that most of them just had holes in the roof (I can't tell you how they arrived at that conclusion, though).

>>83804184
>fire team
IIRC that's one word. Unless you're doing a pun on how the team has a fire witch at the head in which case never mind.

Also squads/sections are bigger than fireteams - usually they're made up of two fireteams, led by the squad leader and assistant squad leader respectively

I'm sorry I can't help it I'll shut up now
>>
>>83804825
anyone who's played RPGs has to be familiar with both fenris and fenrir. i actually wasnt 100 percent sure they were the same guy though

oh god i love fluffy icelandic midgethorses!
>>
>>83804825
True that, but I'm still on the verge if I should or shouldn't expose nudity, so until I decide, I'll have the crossover to be PG13

To be honest, nudity is my comics is a rarity, it just happens that my current work was build around it, kek.
>>
>>83804497
>i reckon
>going by the standards
>i guess i'd be fine
>more time
Look at this wishy washy weak ass language. You can almost picture this guy mumbling as he's trying to convince himself that what he's looking at isn't complete garbage.

There's a reason he's been "working" on this for years to no avail, and the only thing more embarrassing than his comic is his patreon.
>>
File: 20160505200924_1.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160505200924_1.jpg
300 KB, 1920x1080
>>83776199
I think this thread is as good as any to ask.

/co/, I've wanted to write a comic of my own for a very long time. However, I can't draw for shit no matter how much I practice or try. After a while I moved onto writing, and found it much more comfortable and interesting for me. Still, there's a lot of stuff you can really only accomplish with a visual aid.

Is it possible to just write for a webcomic and get someone else to draw? I think that's what the Dr. McNinja guys do, but I don't know.
>>
>>83805076
>trying to convince himself that what he's looking at isn't complete garbage.
again, never said that. i said if I was already agreeing to publish it, then I must know what it's like, and like it. meaning this cover is no shock.
if you were asking would i publish it, i would say no. i'd politely tell him he's not ready yet but encourage him to keep working and trying until he is.
>>
>>83805091
collaborations are great. they're not easy to find, but they happen
>>
>>83804910
I guess I'll have to make the connection obvious if it ever becomes important. Fortunately, Fenris is pretty full of himself, so having him run down his list of synonyms as his introduction basically writes itself.

>>83804963
Technically I think PG-13 allows for brief, non-sexual nudity (Titanic, Pretty Woman, Return of the Jedi). Semantics aside, though, I see what you mean.

>>83805091
It's possible, but it's not easy. The two in this thread that I can think of off the top of my head are Vigor Mortis and The Sisters. You might want to track down the writers and see if they can give you some advice.
Artists need to put a lot more time into a comic than a writer does, so they tend to be pretty shy - your best bet is to have start out with small, self-contained scripts so artists can get a feel for you without signing up for years of collaboration (it also means you're not as far up the creek when the artist vanishes without a trace, which happens very often). You might have to pay for it to start or be willing to work with people who aren't very good artists, but speaking as an artist (currently occupied, sorry), I'd be much more comfortable signing up to work with a writer who'd already showed he's got experience at how to put a comic together.
If at all possible, get to know artists in real life, rather than online.
>>
File: page18small.jpg (193 KB, 700x1082) Image search: [Google]
page18small.jpg
193 KB, 700x1082
Hey question here. I was always taught that when creating a piece of sequential art, you have to show a head to toe pose at least once every page or two to keep the viewer interested.

Is this truly needed? Im very bad at avoiding head shots and waist up panels throughout my comics. Whats an easy way to keep the angle interesting? Is it wrong to have too many head shots or waist-up shots during dialogue?
>>
>>83804024
That's the joke silly buns.
I just want to finally clear this up... again.
>>
>>83806677
in your kind of comic i think it's forgivable.
when in doubt, try zooming out. can that scene benefit a bit from a zoomout? then throw one in. otherwise leave it, it's fine
>>
>>83805091
yes

sprite comics
>>
File: page 31.png (872 KB, 1125x1650) Image search: [Google]
page 31.png
872 KB, 1125x1650
Also Here's the finished page
>>
>>83806914
It's not a good reference to put ON THE COVER. Put it inside the book, fine. ON THE COVER OF A SOLD PRODUCT? Fuck outta here.
>>
>>83807127
>mouth penises
>>
>>83804497
>going by the standards of west tree, i would say this is pretty good

Relatively speaking, if your only frame of reference is West Tree, of course it's good because it's the only thing you're looking at.

West Tree is really bad and this cover is really, tremendously unappealing. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it gives you an exact picture of what you're going to get when you open the book.
>>
>>83807127
playing a little too much overwatch there dewd
>>
>>83806677
It's a good rule to follow. For me, it helps pull the camera out to see the full bodies and gives you a chance to show more of the environment. It also can break up a lot of medium shots, which is a trap a lot of amateurs fall into. However... If there's no place for it in the page, don't do it. Rules can be broken if needed.
>>
>>83807300
so what's your point then?
>>
>>83807326
yikes. now that you mention it, it looks extremely similar.
>>
>>83807236
They look like yams.
>>
>>83807426
eh, overwatch didn't invent the cyborg cowboy, it just referenced it.
we actually discussed this when he first posted the characters. the woman didn't look like the overwatch woman at all, until people made suggestions to change her outfit, and each one took her closer. but only in wearing similar clothes
>>
>>83807326
Aw what the hell man? come on the colors aren't even the same!

I tried to change around the designs so much after the last shitstorm.
>>
>>83807425
His point was how pointless your previous post is.
>>
>>83807457
Whoopsie, didn't notice the cyborg part. Only saw the Mcree and Mercy in both. Maybe I'm the one playing too much overwatch.
>>
>>83807550
Isn't Mcree a cyborg though?
>>
>>83807550
i havent played it at all, so i dunno. if, for example, this mcree person has flames along the edge of his poncho, and a crocodile dundee hat with a card in it, then yeah that is a ripoff.
>>
>>83807516
you must be new to english
in this context, the question "what's your point" refers to the PREVIOUS post this person made. In this case, >>83804156
what's the point of criticizing the minutiae of the cover when you're in agreement that nothing he changed would make it professional
>>
>>83807635
Just kill yourself you idiot. You aren't worth the oxygen you breathe, let alone the replies people give you.
>>
File: West Tree Academy of Heroes.jpg (88 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
West Tree Academy of Heroes.jpg
88 KB, 500x375
Colors ain't the same, brah
>>
it really pisses me off how dewd keeps getting people shouting things like "doesn't listen to criticism" or "isn't getting better" or "ripoff"
it's not just straight up lying, it's lying in order to insult something that doesn't require any lies in order to insult. That kind of malarkey is what makes people genuinely not listen to criticism. it's like taking a terrible B-movie and whining about it being sexist or something. all you're doing is working against legitimate criticism and whipping up a frenzy that, if anything, gives it more attention than it deserves, and false-flags it for praise. i'd almost suspect that was the idea, but who would do that?
i don't even see accurate insults at all anymore. did they just get tired of them? it's not even accomplishing anything vis-a-vis dewd, it seems like it exists merely to irritate _me_
>>
>>83807635
>the question I asked to one poster was ACTUALLY directed to this OTHER poster

A-bwuhhhhh?
>>
>>83807881
wow your english really needs work, this is going to be hard
that other poster? that's the same poster.
when a person says 'this person' that means the same one they're currently talking about.
>>
>>83807831
Tl;dr, more bullshit from the tripfag himself or from someone as inarticulate and uneducated as he is. His comic is a stain on these threads. He should follow the example of the other 2 tripfags and leave.
>>
>>83807831
If you genuinely believe Dewd listens to criticism you've clearly never tried to help him.
>>
>>83808188
have. often. still do. he listens.
he doesn't always obey when he listens
he doesn't always succeed when he obeys
but you have to be utterly delusional to say he doesn't listen. he's basically here just for that. and he needs all the help he can get
>>
File: BB01-test page 2.png (639 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
BB01-test page 2.png
639 KB, 850x1100
Lined and added flats to my page. How does it look and are the speed lines alright? I'd like some opinions on their placement and if they're in the way or anything.

Also, I heard there's a discord for this place, does anyone have the link for it so I can add it to my list?

>>83786814
>tfw you draw a sketch zoomed out and it looks nice so when you zoom in to line it it looks like hot shit
>>
>>83806914
The Monsters Inc joke has context.
>>
>>83808230
Center that text, my man! Keep it in the panel, too.
>>
>>83808230
hmm the hamburger-hatted thing looks familiar. oh i think you've posted here before. neat. uhh the speed lines look just right
>>83808261
what's the context there? a barcode relates to an eye?
at least Os for boobs makes sense to me
>>
>>83808340
The context for that image is in the film where the image originates.
>>
>>83808340
In the movie it's a joke that Sully (blue guy) gets all the attention and Mike is ignored/covered up but he's oblivious and enjoys it anyway.
>>
>>83808340
The context is that it's a running joke for Wazowski, on the other hand...
>>
>>83808414
Ohhh yeah.
Dewd does that apply to sarah? seems like more of an Angel thing
>>
>>83808308
Thanks for the advice!

>>83808340
Yah, I lurk more than I post though since I spend most of my time after dark drawing and I'm playing League of Legends during the day.
>>
>>83807090
>>83807398
Thanks for the great advice! I'll try to keep this in mind next time I storyboard.
>>
>>83808227
>he listens
Only after you yell at him for months on end. Do you not remember how fucking long it took for him to start using spellcheck Fucking MONTHS. Several people were telling him to do it every thread and he never fucking did it until like a week ago.

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE TOLD TO USE SPELLCHECK EVEN ONCE.
>>
>>83808498
Well yeah, Sarah's ugly and no one really loves her.

Angel on the other hand, isn't in this first book for starters, and even though she has terrible luck, every dude in West Tree wants to get it on with her because she's so cute.

>>83808681
Calm down my man, It's all nice and cool now, no need to use that caps lock in a desperate attempt to make a point.
>>
>>83808784
Christ, it's like an "I AM SILLY!!!" comic manifesting right before my eyes.
>>
>>83808681
it works better if you don't yell and scream. his grammar got gradually better, you just didn't notice until the mistakes dropped to zero. because there's something wrong with you, and something even worse with your standards
>>
>>83808681
I can tell you're really concerned with what's appropriate, so I'm going to just let you know: you're making yourself look really bad by getting this upset and suggesting that "you shouldn't have to be told" something. Everything needs to be told at some point, to someone, and when you act like this, you encourage those people never to ask for fear of being made fun of.
>>
>>83809240
Proper spelling is something you are literally taught in elementary school. Dewd is a fucking retard and it's not worth trying to help him.
>>
It's an argue about dewd thread.
>>
>>83809557
The best kind of threads. I think, in a way, Dewd inspires all of us. If you like him, you want to do better so you can improve from where you are. If you hate him, you want to do better because he's insufferable and you want to spite him.
>>
File: New canvas.png (669 KB, 1600x1800) Image search: [Google]
New canvas.png
669 KB, 1600x1800
got a comp of some of my whipped together pages
any comments?
The text is just placeholder until I throw it in photoshop
>>
>>83809608
that's a nice way of thinking
the only part that pisses me off is when it's inaccurate. like a broken down car and someone's like 'and even the seatbelts are broken' and they aren't. and you know it'll sound weird to correct them, but they're wrong.
>>
>>83809240
Thing is, Dewd isn't asking for help. He was using the thread to spell check /for/ him. He said as much.

If he's finally doing it himself Hallelujah. It's not about having problems, you see. It's about arguing over them. Do you think Dobson got so hated because of anything else? Dare I invoke the other guy in the thread notorious for the same actions?

Dewd just has no shame which I'll give him credit for. His enthusiasm is praiseworthy. Too bad he can't channel half of it into improvement instead of doing pages as fast as he can and arguing with people in the thread.
>>
>>83809698
at this point there's nothing much to say, it's a typical 'waking up' page. what comes next?
>>
>>83809608
>inspires
No, he just shits up the thread with his eyesore of a comic, along with his apologist. The only reason he so persistently posts it here is because no one would read it otherwise.

The frustrating part is ignoring him doesn't seem to work, because he's either hellbent on samefagging himself or has a friend from his special ed class giving him just enough scraps of attention to keep him here.
>>
>>83809724
Pretty sure he was doing both. Plus he was writing himself notes, and we were suggesting what to put on those notes. He was always doing it himself, it's just now he's finally got all the bases covered. At first, there were so many typos it wasn't worth proofreading. wouldve taken forever. so we just gave him the general guidelines and suggested spellcheck.
then it was like, 8 mistakes per page.. then like 4, then maybe 2, now they're mostly clean with a few slipups. I dunno how that progress can make you anything but happy
also i don't notice him arguing with the thread often, but when he does lately it's really dismissive, which is not good. still, it's a big improvement from his childish reactions a year ago.
>>
don't reply to overwatch ripoff
>>
>>83809796
psst, anon
when people tell you "just ignore it" that's advice for YOU so that you'll shut up
>>
>>83809720
Dewd's work is not good by any stretch of the imagination, my friend. Could he be good eventually? Probably. Is any of his work appealing right now? I don't think so. He's got a long, long way to go and he should be more humble about himself in these threads.
>>
>>83809759
exposition and getting you introduced to his routine
getting up, and going to work then sleeping being bothered by the ghost in the radio and repeating
his dead girlfriend is talking to him through the radio
when you meet him he is at a point he is in a state of apathy with her talking to him because she is dead and nothing can really change with their "relationship"
>>
>>83809908
I like it right now, anon. Lovely monochromatic color palette. Nice exposition and environment art. I'm impressed so far, I'd like to see more. Make sure your lettering is solid, though, that will really make or break your page.
>>
>>83809874
What does that have to do with the post you replied to?
>>
>>83809964
How are the panels?
as in the boxes themselves
They arn't symmetrical or anything and idk if it adds charm or looks sloppy
>>
>>83809967
I thought that person was saying that some of the critique for Dewd was inaccurate or wrong or unnecessary.
>>
>>83810001
If you keep the panels consistently loose, it will be fine. The readers eyes will get used to it on every page.
>>
>>83810085
Yeah, it frequently is. Which is infuriating because accurate critique, or even insult, is not difficult to come up with when it comes to this comic. It's like when people have a bunch of weird conspiracy shit against the president and you're like... it's not that hard to just say something true if you wanna slam the guy, you don't have to get so imaginative.
>>
>>83809796
I'd honestly rather have bones than this kid.

With bones, it's like finding a pile of dogshit in your office, easily sidestepped. WIth dewd, it's like he's actively smearing the dogshit everywhere.
>>
>>83810152
Explain what you mean by accurate. Critique is almost always an opinion and everyone's is different. It's the goal of the artist to decide what they want to use or not.
>>
>>83810152
It's... hard. Because there's so much wrong with his work, it can be frustrating to critique. It's difficult to know where to start.
>>
>>83810218
Kinda outlined that earlier >>83807831
Let's put it this way
>It's the goal of the artist to decide what they want to use or not
is an attitude not held by the people in question
>>83810275
this, at least, is honest. just remember you're doing as much harm by criticizing wrong as you are by praising wrong. like how all the lies and exaggerations about the dangers of drugs actually encourage people to use them, after which they find out the ACTUAL dangers firsthand.
When you take the time to critique, you're doing a service, and you have a responsibility. Just like disciplining a kid, you don't do it out of anger, or to vent your frustrations. either do it out of love or don't do it at all
>>
>>83810138
Thanks for the input then my friend
I'm looking for a font right now for the text and then i will keep working on the lettering :)
It's my first comic so i am still in the learning curve
>>
>>83810428
You act like anyone who dares say anything owes you a 250 word essay citing references for every piece of critique. No one is obligated to tell a retard exactly how his shit stinks, just fuck off to tumblr/reddit if you want hand holding.
>>
>>83810428
>When you take the time to critique, you're doing a service, and you have a responsibility. Just like disciplining a kid, you don't do it out of anger, or to vent your frustrations. either do it out of love or don't do it at all

This is why I don't mind when people talk shit to my comic or give me harsh crits, I know they do it because they care and want to see me get better.
>>
>>83809796
>his apologist
It's coldfusion. Pretty much always. I wish he'd just leave his damn trip on.
>>
>>83810428
>is an attitude not held by the people in question

No it seems to be an attitude held by you because you want people to not say something...? That he doesn't take criticism? While people can tell you they have personal experience of him arguing about the simplest fundamentals of art and comics. People have sat with him for hours and tried to help only to have him try to flippantly say he doesn't care and doesn't want to do the work to improve. Yet he'll turn around and say he's working hard. Yeah.

But you. You, are the arbiter of truth because sometimes he has less typos.

>Just like disciplining a kid, you don't do it out of anger, or to vent your frustrations. either do it out of love or don't do it at all

You're on 4chan kid. We hate everything we love.
>>
>>83810689
yeah most of the time you do handle it pretty well. probably better than i would in your place.. and definitely better than i would have at your age.
people just like to act like you do mind because that makes it easier to make fun of you. i think they're retired school bullies and you remind them of the meat they used to roast.
>>
>>83810704
none of that is true
>>
>>83810689
Just don't even try this pathetic PR shit. It's as transparent as you are stupid
>>
>>83810777
If I wasn't serious, would I seriously still be on here or doing my comic?
>>
File: thisgif.gif (966 KB, 426x236) Image search: [Google]
thisgif.gif
966 KB, 426x236
>>83810771
We are at an impasse sir.
>>
>>83810819
If you were serious you wouldn't have a typo ridden comic that looks like it came out of grade school arts and crafts.
>>
>>83810819
guy on your side here
yyyes. you would.
it's time to stop arguing with these people now. just leave it, let it blow over
>>
>>83810689
Stop lying. You love to meltdown when people criticise your work and you have nothing to offer in return.
The amount of excuses you gave can almost make for a nice bingo card, and you are yet to apply any of the criticism you agreed on since I can remember.

Say you don't give a damn about improving, Say that you don't care about putting more than the bare minimum effort, so people can stop trying to help you improve, since you're definitely not interested.
>>
>>83810928
so like, do you actually believe this, or is this blaming-the-other-guy-in-the-elevator-for-farting? because, yknow, we're all here.. and we've seen that's not true. so you're either a shitty troll or you've got a screw loose. maybe 'since i can remember' is the operative word here?
>>
File: 20160615.jpg (669 KB, 900x1833) Image search: [Google]
20160615.jpg
669 KB, 900x1833
fuck dammit it's hard to draw blood raining in a place that's already red as hell
this is pretty much part 2 of the last one. but it would have been too long to keep as one.
>>
>>83811056
I think the blood rain looks pretty good. It gets the point across. Btw love the humor in your comic.
>>
>>83811056
This is fucking great. I love this comedy.
>>
>>83811029
Just leave your trip on, coldfusion
>>
File: brownie headruffle.jpg (99 KB, 400x451) Image search: [Google]
brownie headruffle.jpg
99 KB, 400x451
>>83811154
>>83811198
thanks you
>>
File: 1451450026742.png (35 KB, 645x552) Image search: [Google]
1451450026742.png
35 KB, 645x552
>tfw you can't draw or write and want to do both
>>
>>83811333
BEGONE YOU UGLY CREATURE REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>83811056
wolf girl is my favorite. This is starting to remind me of the anime, slayers. Also. wtf. Seeing him scratch his balls triggers her?
>>
>>83811555
she's a kittywolf-girl! unless you mean sasha
I watched Slayers WAY later than I should have in life, it's an inspiration sorely missing in my earlier stuff, but I tried making up for it.
Though really I was going for more of a Tales feel with that stuff. Same basic deal though.

nah see, just seeing him in general gets her ovaries all grovery. the fact that he's currently not acting sexy in the slightest is part of the joke
>>
>>83810703
...I honestly never noticed, but you're right.
Weird.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 113

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.