[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel the MCU is shaping up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_logo.png (53 KB, 314x150) Image search: [Google]
Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_logo.png
53 KB, 314x150
I mean, the lack of TV and Movie crossovers (except small timers like Sif as fan service) is annoying as it was supposed to be a thing, but the setting is pretty massive at this point. If you squint, you can even make the X-men movies fit into it all, if you handwave why they don't end up meeting up at [insert disaster/villains point of attack]. But the comics did that for decades, and still often do.

I wish Agents of S.H.I.T was better, but Daredevil is aight, JJ is good if only because it's different, and the films are good if you don't overthink them. But that's just my feelings.

I want to hear some varied feels.
>>
I like how big the universe feels now compared to 8 years ago. I've been following the MCU since I was 14, so I do have some nostalgiafagging going on and I'm pretty invested in the universe at this point.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I'm glad Marvel doesn't have the rights to their heavy hitters (well, except Spidey now). It allowed the company to do movies with more unknown characters. I have a feeling we wouldn't have gotten stuff like GotG, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther etc. if they had X-Men/F4/Spider-Man rights. Hell, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have gotten the Avengers either if Marvel had the rights to their A-listers. At this point, I'm content with the characters we got and might get in the future, though those F4 villains would be pretty sweet to have in the MCU.
>>
Films are good, shows are mostly good. It's a good universe that distills most of what makes the MCU good.
Coulson should've been on the helicarrier in AoU. When they express surprise he's alive, have him say "it's a long story". Now it's been long enough that they can't bring him back without confusing casuals.
Speaking of which, Agents of SHIELD really fucking needed actual Marvel villains, characters and concepts. It would've been tolerable if it did.
>>
>>83770631
>If you squint, you can even make the X-men movies fit into it all,

Are you a fucking idiot?

Anyway, I feel like the MCU started strong and with promise, in my opinion The Avengers was a triumph, not a perfect film but it did it's job and all the phase one movies did their job just fine.

Now, as things have played out since then, it seems Disney is not good for Marvel...(inb4 they make millions), sure, fine, so do Transformers, irrelevant. The point is these movies have become somewhat stagnant....no longer is it a fresh new universe of what if and what next but a predictable, middle of the road, super safe franchise aimed purely at the casual and family audiences

That isn't to say I hate all of it, there is good stuff here and there and probably will continue to be, but honestly as a whole it's only downhill from here, the MCU has scene it's best days
>>
File: retarded cat.jpg (200 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
retarded cat.jpg
200 KB, 1280x850
>>83770631
>If you squint, you can even make the X-men movies fit into it all
Why would you want to?
>>
>>83770801
I agree. Still, fuck you for making me feel old anon. If that's how old the MCU is now, I haven't bothered looking before, I was barely twenty when it started and now I'm nearing thirty.

>>83770875
>Are you a fucking idiot?
Often and unapologetically.

>The point is these movies have become somewhat stagnant...
That was always going to happen unfortunately. I don't disagree. Well, aside from the whole being a flaming retard bit.

>>83770945
They are shit, but they are shit I grew up with and campy as fuck in the best way. Dat fight scene on top of the train in The Wolverine.
>>
File: CbgSeVPWEAAj64T.jpg (209 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
CbgSeVPWEAAj64T.jpg
209 KB, 600x887
It's become a big stupid piece of crap where everything is crafted to be as inoffensive as possible.

Instead of several series linked together, they're now just one giant series.

When I was a kid, I used to pretend all the Spider-Man and X-Men and Fantastic Four movies took place in the same universe, and would be discouraged whenever they contradicted each other (which was all the time). Then I was hyped by Iron Man appearing in Incredible Hulk, and that we were gonna get an Avengers movie, and the Avengers movie was good, but Iron Man 2, Captain America and Thor were all essentially just turned into Avengers preludes instead of being their own thing, which I hoped would subside now that Avengers was a huge success, but instead every other movie just became part of the Avengers franchise.

It reminds me exactly of the Ultimate universe in that it started as a fresh take on the MU, but very quickly fell into a trap of constant crossovers that killed the universe.

Suffice it to say I would have done things very differently.
>>
I feel like while it isn't in any danger of getting worse, it isn't actually getting much better either. Call it 'Disney Safe' or whatever, but they are kind of bleeding into each other at this point.

In twenty or thirty years I wouldn't be surprised if we looked at the MCU like we do Bond movies: Just a big long thing, with only the highest and lowest points being remembered at all.
>>
I think they're setting up off screen events between movies, going to recast the movie actors and do Netflix shows to test wafers, then use the Netflix actors when the Hollywood ones retire, around phase 5 or 6 we'll see Daredevil, Punisher, and Blade getting movies, with their TV shows serving as extended origin stories to mythos, and the movies just throwing you into it like GotG.
>>
>>83771065
thank god you're not in charge of the multi-billion dollar franchise
>>
I think it's already showing signs of buckling under its own weight. CW's largest stumbling blocks were all related to continuity and having to sort of tiptoe around Age of Ultron and its implications. That's only gonna get worse with every new movie that shakes up the status quo.
>>
>>83771066
Isn't that the fate of any long-running medium? Only the extraordinary entries really stand out? Same with comics, same with music, same with literature.
>>
>>83771268
This.
>>
>>83771268
Yeah, thank god these movies have become saccharine, predictable, formulaic hunks of forgettable that can't figure out if they want to be for comic book fans or expensive Disney Channel originals
>>
File: zack-snyder-censor-face.png (112 KB, 199x259) Image search: [Google]
zack-snyder-censor-face.png
112 KB, 199x259
>>83771565
Yeah, they could be completely unwatchable pieces of shit.
>>
>>83771565
yeah, we will all REE the day that our interests became mainstream interests shared with normies
>>
>>83771656
>he doesn't like MCU therefore he must be a huge fan of BvS

Fuck off with your stupid goddamn company wars. It's possible to criticize one without sucking the other one's dick, though you wouldn't know it from watching you.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 622x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 622x465
>>83771656
BvS is better than every MCU movie after Iron Man 1.
>>
>>83770631
I think Ant man is a weaker link than thor

Especially actor wise

They need mutants badly at least negotiate in having mutants and f4 villans
>>
>>83771065
This
>>
>>83771882

It's only a matter of time, with how well Spidey did in Civil War, that they just bite the bullet and either do a cross-company crossover, or lease the rights back.
>>
>>83771835
Preferring a disney universe over a snyder universe isn't company wars, you autist. There are two major companies making superhero movies right now so comparisons are as natural as they are relevant. The MCU is making 2-3 movies per year and few have been objectively bad over the last eight years. Snyder has made two movies in three years and it's gone from ok to simply bad.
>>
>>83772075
I'm not talking about DC at all. All I did was criticize Marvel, then you said it was better than DC for no reason, as if DC movies being bad somehow makes it ok for Marvel movies to be bad.
>>
>>83772378
I'm saying your opinion is wrong as it implies the MCU is on a road to death when it's been nothing but successful, even with c-list heroes like ant man.
>>
>>83772434
>it implies the MCU is on a road to death

Show me where I said that.

I'm not talking about DC, I'm not talking about commercial success, I'm not talking about critics. In fact, the opposite, I think the commercial success is due to the movies becoming more safe and formulaic. Nowhere at all did I say anything about Marvel failing as a company or DC being better or any of the things you keep bringing up.
>>
>>83770631
I think it's going downhill. The films are becoming interchangeable and toothless now. Status quo is keeping fans from seeing the actual comics come to life, but the normies are finding it. Civil War was almost depressing to watch, because everything about it was either a commercial for another product or "this is popular, so here it is."
Minus WS and GOTG, none of phase 2 onwards has been anything beyond bland.
>>
File: 1415913765608.jpg (82 KB, 953x960) Image search: [Google]
1415913765608.jpg
82 KB, 953x960
>>83770631
>JJ is good
>>
>>83772722
civil war was also a good movie
>>
>>83772516
see >>83771065
don't backtrack now. I'll stick by my guns and say thank god you're not in charge
>>
>>83771709
You are the normie, you're not part of the "our"

>>83771656
>Watchable = safe and sanitized
Bet you only listen to Radio Disney too faggot
>>
>>83772976
>REEEEEE
>>
>>83771871
According to absolutely no one.
>>
>>83770631
It's become popular and big enough that people here are going to hate it just based on that, so what's the point of asking if it's good.

MCU gets shit on for being popular, DCEU gets shit on for being bad, and nobody cares about Fox.
>>
>>83771882
Mutants are irrellevant.
F4 are ok, f4 villains are really needed though.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.