[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IDW's new M.A.S.K. Series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 1200x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 1200x409
http://www.newsarama.com/29710-idw-s-m-a-s-k-is-a-fresh-take-while-remembering-the-spirit-of-the-show.html

Oh look, Matt Tracker's a black guy now.
>>
>>83765828
Oh holy shit M.A.S.K.

I haven't thought about them in over a decade.
>>
>>83765828
Oh neat, I don't even know what the first Mask was about, I had all the action figures tho.
>>
>>83765828

>Hasbro's cult-favorite toy line M.A.S.K. is returning in an all-new ongoing series from IDW Publishing, and is doing it as part of a over-arching crossover called IDW Revolution which brings G.I. Joe, Transformers and more all into one cohesive universe.

>Former Agent Carter writer Brandon Easton and artist Tony Vargas are collaborating together on this reinvention of the 1980s toy/animated franchise, honoring "the spirit" of the original while being unafraid to modernize it and improve on the formula.

>Newsarama talked with both Easton and Vargas about the modern-day M.A.S.K. series, reinventing the villain Miles Mayhem, and how the franchise fits within IDW's newly-minted Hasbro universe.

>Newsarama: Brandon, how would you describe your take on M.A.S.K.?

>Brandon Easton: This version of Mobile Armored Strike Kommand is contemporary with a slight touch of nostalgia to satisfy the original fans of the 1980s series. I'd describe it as a vehicle-based action adventure sci-fi thriller comic book with updated versions of the classic characters. Unlike your average comic book that has a singular emphasis, M.A.S.K. is unique in the sense that it combines military action, vehicle combat, changeable weapons and helmets that grant superpowers. If the balance isn't right, it falls apart so I've been working hard to incorporate all those elements in a logical, but extremely exciting storyline.

>Tony Vargas: If you can imagine taking an old computer and a brand new tablet PC equipped with AR capabilities, smashing them together to make a nice M.A.S.K. jelly.

>You'll look at the characters and vehicles and know right away its M.A.S.K. That's really the goal of revitalizing any existing property - to maintain what made it great and really looking for opportunities to make it even better.

>Nrama: Can you describe Matt Trakker in this for us?
>>
File: VenomDesignsB[1].jpg (101 KB, 1200x362) Image search: [Google]
VenomDesignsB[1].jpg
101 KB, 1200x362
>>83765863

>Easton: He's an engineering genius with a natural talent for science who comes from a deeply troubled background. The loss of his father at a young age sent Matt sprawling into grief, and because he couldn't handle his emotional pain, he became a bit of a delinquent. However, he was always smart enough to know how to work the system. Right before the M.A.S.K. training begins, he gets himself into some serious trouble so he had little choice but to join the boot camp. A core part of this series will be to chronicle Matt's growth from an insecure recruit to the resolute leader of M.A.S.K.

>Vargas: He's resourceful, highly intelligent and (initially) distracted individual who underneath the confidence and square jaw is a little uneasy about his direction in life.

>Nrama: How is his relationship with V.E.N.O.M.'s Miles Mayhem?

>Easton: It's going to be very different from the original dynamic on the TV series. Mayhem isn't going to be the same old snarling bad guy with ridiculous plans that are easily foiled. Our version of Mayhem is much smarter, much more respected and incredibly dangerous. The best way I can describe their relationship is to think of Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman from the submarine thriller Crimson Tide. These men respect each other because of a shared world view, but beyond that, when Matt gets in the way of Mayhem's grand design, things go south quickly.

>Vargas: Our version of Mayhem is a devious, charismatic mastermind lacking in morals and has little regard for human life. He's just a greedy jerk when it comes down to it. He's not a fumbling low IQ kind of villain.

>Nrama: USA Today describes this version of M.A.S.K. as having a "Fast & Furious spin." Can you comment on that?
>>
File: MASK-REV01_cvr_A[2].jpg (418 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
MASK-REV01_cvr_A[2].jpg
418 KB, 791x1200
>>83765867

>Easton: The Fast & Furious franchise is one of the most successful movie franchises in history and there's a reason for that. The 21st century audience craves speed and spectacle. The modern audience also wants to grow with the characters over time. The funny thing is that if you look at the original TV show for M.A.S.K. and compare it to Fast & Furious, there's already many similarities. You have a diverse group of people from different walks of life who come together to stop various threats. In this version of M.A.S.K., each character ends up in the training program because it was their last chance to find redemption. I believe there's considerable story potential for character growth by having a ragtag team of people with murky histories instead of a crew of cookie-cutter "good" and "bad" guys.

>Vargas: Yup! Fast paced action, deep character development and an amazing story! All of that is backed by a world filled with technology, allowing for some pretty awesome possibilities.

>Nrama: What will the first storyline be about?

>Easton: Most details from the first arc have to remain classified for a few months. We're going to slowly reveal more of the story over the summer months but in the meantime, fans should be assured that we're coming up with a heck of a story world for everyone to get immersed in. Expect tons of action, speed and intrigue. Oh yea... Killer artwork from Tony Vargas. I've seen some of the concepts and they've blown me away. I can't wait to see the response from the readers. I truly believe that this will be one of the most attractive looking comics on the market when it hits later in 2016.

>Nrama: How will M.A.S.K. tie in to IDW Revolution?
>>
>>83765871

>Easton: The M.A.S.K. team is very much a part of the Revolution story line. The team shows up early in the event and has a major impact on the outcome. I guess you could say that much of what M.A.S.K. will become is tied to the climax of Revolution. The upcoming M.A.S.K. one-shot is somewhat structured around Revolution so you should consider M.A.S.K. a vital element to the new order within the Hasbro titles. Fans will have to wait to see where we go with all of this.

>Nrama: Are there particular characters from the other books you think M.A.S.K. would be particularly conducive to share a comic book page with?’

>Easton: Absolutely. There will be characters from the other books showing up - not on a regular basis - but there will be some "bleeding" in from the Hasbro comics from time to time. I'd love to include Storm Shadow, Destro or Roadblock into a M.A.S.K. story because there's a natural connection with the Joe-verse in terms of character styles and technology. I really like a lot of the Cobra characters so who knows who might pop up in the series? Generally speaking, M.A.S.K. has quite a few characters that need to be explored so I'll be taking my time with that instead of a revolving door of guests. I believe the audience appreciates getting to know the core characters first.

>Nrama: How much did IDW & Hasbro already have laid out before you joined this project?

>Easton: There was a concrete framework in place but I was given some freedom to set up the rules of the world and the relationships between the cast. We're still ironing out some wrinkles here and there, but production is well under way.

>Vargas: Before I signed on, Brandon submitted a pitch, which I read and got hooked on. It was a really fun and immersive plan he had for the future of the comic and I was happy to be a part of its development.
>>
>>83765877
>Hasbro and IDW are giving us a pretty wide playing field with very few restrictions. As things progress in the development of the book that may change, but for right now...weeeeee!

>Nrama: What were you inspired by in revamping M.A.S.K.?

>Easton: So many things! First, for the driving sequences, I loved the anime film called Redline. There's also classic westerns like The Magnificent Seven or The Wild Bunch in terms of character interactions. Obviously, I've been re-watching the original show and looking for unresolved plot threads or interesting moments that were never expanded upon. I'm having a total blast reliving my childhood.

>Vargas: I was inspired by the nostalgia that people seem to have when they speak about the show and the characters.

It was obvious from the beginning that what people loved about the show would have to be maintained, but also not be doggedly adhered to. My goal was to embed the spirit of the show, while extending an olive branch to newcomers and fans of the series, to enjoy a fresh take on the look and feel of the universe M.A.S.K. lives in.

>Conceptually, there are just way too many opportunities to exploit newer technological advancements and to speculate how much further into the future we can go with our tech. Limiting ourselves to only recreating what was in the original show, I feel, would be a detriment to the story as a whole. I'm glad we took the chance at deviating from the original.

Out this September
>>
File: DSCN7891.jpg (132 KB, 1024x712) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7891.jpg
132 KB, 1024x712
>>83765828
>Oh look, Matt Tracker's a black guy now.

Don't care in the slightest. The show hardly had plot or characters. It was a vehicle to sell vehicles, and I should know, I had a shitload of them.

If they can actually make a story that's coherent and pull it out of the depth of commercial-based goofiness that is the source material, more power to them and any changes they want to make.
>>
>>83765828
Matt is not a black guys name
>>
>>83765894
It's a biblical name. Plenty of people have it, including black guys.

Next you'll be telling me that Michael's not a black guy name.
>>
>>83765908
The first thing that comes to mind when i hear the word Matt is a white guy with glasses
>>
>>83765925
So we're supposed to conform to your stereotypes?
>>
>>83765925
>>83765925
LOOOOOOOOOOL The nigga I knew named Matt was white and had glasses and pimples. I ironically started pretending to be in MLP just for a few chuckles and this nigga thought I was serious and he started getting into MLP for real.

I fucked up his life, cause now he's on heroin and shit and this is all because he became an outsider and weird kid for coloring his hair like Princess Celestial.
>>
>>83765925
Okay, fine, it's short for Mattquanjamangel, happy?
>>
>>83765946
So were gonna conform to theirs? why cant Matt be a girl or a transexual
>>
>>83765958
I don't know, give me a compelling reason and we'll talk.

I don't give a shit about a blank slate toy character, and I especially don't give a shit about your nonsense.
>>
>>83765958
Because being black is worst than being a tranny or a woman
Were women or tranies ever taken from their homeland and enslaved?
>>
>>83765980
>I don't give a shit about a blank slate toy character, and I especially don't give a shit about your nonsense.
>post that a white guy is black now
/pol/ pls your stealth trolling is still not stealthy enough
>>
>>83765958
Great, now I've got to filter another spelling of that obsolete, ignorant word because the people who use it can't even spell it
>>
>>83765992
YES! Google "Ngoloslovenia" And you'll see.
>>
>>83766005
What the fuck are you even on about?
>>
/pol/ pls go for derailing this thread..
>>
I'm hyped
>>
>>83765867
Thankfully the villain is still white.
>>
>black matt
Dont really mind.

>black longhair Gloria
Thats what bithers me mme more. This feels edgy. Why long blackhair, this feels more some artist made his waifu here.

Besides "Black Matt matters" i would buy it if his son is still white. Like he got cuckhold. Kek.
>>
>>83765828
A nigger, a woman and a wetback. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>83766356
>black hair is edgy
What.
>>
>>83766028
He thinks you're OP.
>>
>>83765828
So what the game plan for when they run out of 80s ip's. Will they just move on to the 90s or crash and burn.
>>
>>83767334
Nah, they'll just pretend the previous 80s reboot didn't happen and say "this thing from your childhood is BACK for the FIRST TIME EVER! AGAIN!"
>>
>>83765828
Those are obviously helmets
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 600x300
>>83766659
Sure its edgy to make her ravenous waifu material. As if they need to spice it up as a love interest insert.
I bet she is now more like a kim possible kind of ninja-esque character.
>>
>>83765828
They already had a black token with T-bob.
>>
>>83768018
she was already the grll power element can't ruin whas was always bad.
Also the only think I care about are the villains. they were fun, they had the best vehicles.
>>
No transgender muslim no buy
>>
File: jayce2.png (562 KB, 718x537) Image search: [Google]
jayce2.png
562 KB, 718x537
JAYCE REBOOT WHEN? AND BRING BACK ULYSSES WHILE YOU ARE AT IT. BUT LET INSPECTOR GADGET ALONE HE'S ALREADY DEAD
>>
>>83765828
That's a really unfortunate color for Julio. At first look I thought he was wearing shorts.
>>
File: overlord_lores.png (129 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
overlord_lores.png
129 KB, 400x500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2Cd9tyUvY

where's muh Spiral Zone relaunch?

shit, why was the '80s so base?
>>
File: Julio_Lopez.jpg (106 KB, 686x600) Image search: [Google]
Julio_Lopez.jpg
106 KB, 686x600
..why does Julio losing his mustache bother me more than any of the other changes

it should be a really minor thing, but for some reason that's what stuck with me
>>
>>83770733
He looks like a hipster now.
>>
>>83770733
Who doesn't like a Mexican bear?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.