[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wait, what did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 7
File: gl_credit.png (161 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gl_credit.png
161 KB, 500x375
Wait, what did he mean by this?
>>
John Stewart is an alien.
>>
File: 1460079610791.jpg (20 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1460079610791.jpg
20 KB, 500x367
>>83739304
I guess he's a Black Lantern.
>>
>"You are okay for a stupid nigger"

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>83739304
>"you run pretty fast for a white guy"
What did Jon mean by this?
>>
exactly what you think he means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3r8KN17wP0

note the way john reacts. its obvious what the intended meaning is.
>>
>>83739304
>his childhood heroes were actually racist.
good old days without muh diversity shit
>>
>>83740939
>good old days without muh diversity shit
This moment was only possible because they replaced a white GL with a black one, probably for the sake of diversity.

I get that "OMG this show is objectively good because black people exist in it" is a dumb line of thinking, but so is "this show is crap because people like it because there's black people in it". Try your best to lessen the idiocy in the world.
>>
>>83741855

I don't think you understood his post at all.
>>
>>83739304
In all honesty, without context this wouldn't be racist in the slightest.
>>
>>83739304
The sad thing is, once upon a time "you're a credit to your people" was a compliment. Sadder thing is, if everyone strove to be one, racism might actually die out in a generation or two.
>>
>>83739304
ooga booga unka bung dooga, eek

I studied 4 years of Niggerspeak in college.
>>
He was trying to not be racist but did it in a way that was racist.
>>
>>83742274
You don't think Jon is a credit to his people?
Why are you such a racist?
>>
I love /tv/ summerposting
>>
>>83739304
John is a marine
>>
Man that was probably my favorite 2 part from justice league

>Opens with a homage to Neon Genesis Evangelion
>Creepy silver age
>The tweest
>villian you could empathize with
>>
Jon was a great Green Lantern and The Streak wanted to tell him so. GL's are usually addressed as 'son'.
>>
>>83739304
Would you consider him racist or not racists but unaware of the racism coming from his mouth because of the time he's from? He clearly doesn't mind working along side John or shows dislike working with him.
>>
>>83742320
The streak does not know that.
>>
File: birdman.gif (1 MB, 680x570) Image search: [Google]
birdman.gif
1 MB, 680x570
>>83739304
He meant people as in the people from his universe and he called him son to address his youth.
I'm tired of this "everything is racist meme."
>>
>>83742444
Would he let him date his daughter or invite him to hang out with his drinking buddies though?
>>
>>83742510
(You)
>>
>>83742519
>letting Green Lanterns date your daughter

No responsible father would allow that.
>>
JL/JLU's portrayal of John made him my favorite Lantern.
It also made me appreciate Hawkgirl more than I ever would, she's the best character in that show.
>>
>>83742531
Women that date green lanterns tend to end up in refrigerators or as super villains
>>
>>83742580
get out of here Desh
>>
>>83742519
I think they would keep it very proffesional, family stuff is a slippery slope when it comes to superheroes or famous people in general, you have to be very careful.
>>
>>83742510
Why not say he's a credit to his world?
>>
>>83739304
Innocently racist, since he's from an earlier era. That's it.
>>
>>83742444
He's probably not racist but if he is then he probably works alongside John because he feels like he's being progressive or something like that.
>>
>>83742678
This. Fair for his day.
>>
>>83742320
Regular or angry?
>>
>>83742580
I feel like the biggest reason HG was good on that show was because she had this bizarre unwritten anti-jobbing ability. Flash tripped, J'onn never shape shifted, Superman was made of wet cardboard, and Batman still had the relevance of not having powers. Shakes, though, always used her full ability, she never made you think 'JUST PHASE THROUGH THE WALL J'ONN, NOBODY WAS ATTACKING YOU HOW DID YOU MESS UP YOUR SHAPE SHIFTING!?'
>>
All niggers must fucking hang
>>
>>83742584
Or they're villains and they bang them into heroics.
Based Alan.
>>
>>83742726
>>
>>83742444

He was racist but only by today's definitions. That was just the mindset of the people at the time.

It's like saying somebody 2000 years ago was an idiot because they thought lightning meant God was angry. They just didn't know better,
>>
>>83742744
That black people should hang out with each other
>>
>>83739304
>implying there anything wrong with what he said.
>>
>>83739304
It's a relief they didn't use the real JSA for this.
>>
>wow, a flying nigger, what'll they think of next

Bit uncouth.
>>
>>83742749
People knew what racism was in his era. Racism was more accepted socially but that doesn't make him non-racist.
>>
>>83742726
>2016
>being rude
>>
>>83739304
In Streak's time, Blacks had it rough and he knew that. Seeing a guy like John doing the stand-up thing and being a hero, he recognized as something good for their community.

Streak couldn't change the lot of Blacks in society, but a guy like John could. Therefore, he said he was a credit to them, and gave him his respect.
>>
>>83742749
If anything this scene was a great parallel between well meaning attitudes of today (being the early 2000s) and the 1960s
He didn't mean anything bad by it and in fact probably saw it as a progressive complement, whole Green lantern was unsettled by it he probably accepted it as him at least trying
>>
>jigga jigga, good job nigga!

what the fuck, man?
>>
>>83742862
Well put
>>
>>83742306
Who are his people?
>>
>>83739304
>this is now considered racist
The actual fuck?
>>
What's racist here? If someone called me a credit to my people I'd take it as a compliment. Everyone was proud to be a credit to their people/country back in the day.
>>
>>83739304
Wow, this place gets dumber and dumber by the second.
>>
>>83739304
That he's a role model to his people, and he isn't wrong.
I see no problem with this.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h5kg5f8Im0
>>
>>83743018
That was before everyone became much more proud of being a victim.
>>
>>83739304
When you think about it a comment like this isn't really that racist.
There's a clear difference between 'you're a credit to your race' and 'you're smart for a nigger'. And not just in the word use.
The second implies that expectations for black people are just lower and calling him smart doesn't really mean as much as calling a white man smart but the first just means whites and blacks are separate groups that barely interact and that GL paints a positive picture of blacks.
>>
>>83743151
What made it so desirable to be a victim?
>>
>>83743018
>>83743103
The fact that Stewart is considered part of a different "people" is inherently racist.
>>
>>83741855

John Stewart is a good GL in this show, regardless of his race
>>
>>83743200

Nothing racist about it. To recognise a distinction between one's own people and another is a pretty neutral fact.
>>
>>83743183
> 'you're a credit to your race'
> 'you're a credit to your race'

It's the same shit with the same intent. That's still saying " You're lower than me, but at least you're trying"
>>
why in the fuck is this a forced meme
>>
>>83743230
But superheroes are already a different people, why not unite under that; rather than establish a separate opinion because of race?
>>
>>83743200
>Racist
No, racist would be considering his people inferior. Acknowledging differences isn't racism neither sexism.
>>
>>83743231

Only if you read the statement uncharitably. "You're a credit to your race" just means "You're an excellent example of your race," and surely that's something to be proud of? I'm not sure acknowledging the existence of race, or that people can be excellent members of their race, is intrinsically racist.
>>
>>83743231
>Susan Whatever, scientist, athlete, Peace Nobel etc, is a great role model to all the women in the world
Is this sexism?
>>
>>83743265
What part of "You are a credit to your race" doesn't imply inferiority? It's already implying Blacks are an inferior race with Stewart being the exception that makes the rule.
>>
>>83743230
It is racist because it suggests that you think that they need a mascot of some sort. But it's not really harmful just kind of rude.

Maybe "racist" is too triggering of a word in this sense because it suggests hatred.
>>
>>83743299
You've got to read the implication of inferiority in there. The expression itself can (and probably should) be read as one of genuine admiration. One can use it of one's own people as much as of someone else's, with the same meaning.
>>
>>83743290
If someone came up to her face and said something like " You're good for a woman" , then yeah, it would be.
>>
>>83743333
>>83743299
>For a woman
Oh, I get it, you're the racist and sexist one who is projecting hard
>>
>>83741919
But there is context, so...
>>
>>83743199
tumblr and probably seeing how much money anita sarkeesian made from her kickstarter
>>
>>83743314
>you think they need a mascot
The fuck? you are either reading too much between lines or you come already seeking for a racism in that phrase.
>>
>You shoot up schools, bars, and theaters very well for an american
>>
By your people he meant militaristic fanatics, not niggers.
>>
>>83743403
That Afghans do it better.
>>
>>83743314
true, prejudiced would be a better word. But it's not good to /pol/-wash statements that are that belittling
>>
>>83742862
>Streak couldn't change the lot of Blacks in society
Because "the lot" black people needed changing?
Because only people with a specific race should interact with their specific race?
Or because it couldn't be possible that a group of heroes who were sexist and expected women to do certain things would also be racist too?
>>
>>83743314

I didn't grow up in the West, so I might be missing something. I just don't see it as rude even.

Doesn't every people and culture have paragons they look up to? Isn't it a good thing to be one of these paragons, and therefore a compliment to tell someone else that they represent their people well? It doesn't follow at all because people are good members of their respective societies, that therefore those societies are assumed to be inferior.

Maybe it's got to do with the advance of individualism. To imply that the individual is embedded in a larger social category at all beyond a completely universal (and trivial) one, might be interpreted as taking away from their individuality.

But of course from someone who at least partially conceives of their identity in terms of their people, the expression is a clear compliment.
>>
>>83743403
That you should go back to /tv/.
>>
>>83743436
See, and this is the problem with all these "racism!!" faggots, you already start in the side of "this is racism" without even reading the phrase or the context, so there's no chance for an argument, you already think is racism.
>>
>>83743436
That version of the streak was a memory that a telepath projected into reality from memories of him as a child spending time with those heroes. They all seem like characterized because he's created them from rose tented glasses so he could forget the fact his heroes got blown up in a nuclear war.
>>
Is not racism, John is a faggot with inferiority complex and he assumes always people are onto him.
>>
>You're a credit to all mankind
>What do you mean with mankind? so we are different from womankind? and from faunakind? what about for florakind?
>...oh, you're a credit to all living beings then
>Again with the segregation, what about minerals and inorganic beings?
>so-sorry, I was just being nice...please, someone, I need a hand
>A HAND?! so you're assuming I have a hand? you're projecting your antropocentric vision of the world in me!
>>
>>83743480
anon I could copy and paste your post and replace everything about me and switch it to you, and it would still make sense
if your argument is actually "well you already think one thing, so it doesn't count" then it's a bad argument

I'm just saying, if it didn't have racially biased connotations, why wouldn't he just say "the" people not "your" people

>>83743487
I'm aware, but that doesn't make it not racist
>>
>>83743546
lmao
>>
>>83743333
So if someone said something that was completely different it would be sexist?
That's just like with OP!
>>
>>83743605
>completely different
>changes 1 word
>>
>No meant to be hurtful, neither to imply John or his race is inferior, etc
>Is still racism
Shit, my 3 dictionaries and Internet definitions are all antiquated, what's the new definition and why my 2016 dictionary doesn't have it?
>>
>>83743663
Acknowledging differences is also racism, also racism can only be done by whites, minorities can't be racist because racism is prejudice+power, and minorities don't have power so...
>>
>>83743663
>not meant to be hurtful
>not meant to imply his race is inferior
you can still be hurtful without meaning it
you can't just say "haha, I'm not a racist, I didn't mean to make you feel bad"

here's a definition for you
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races
>>
>>83743565
Burden of proof, you're the one saying his intention is to state white people is superior to blacks, so prove it.
>>
>>83743624
Are you messing with me?
'rolemodel to' vs 'good for'
those are entirely different things
>>
This phrase is a great example of: if you look to be offended you'll be offended.
>>
>>83743017
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with "It's good you're not one of them lazy dumb niggers, you're one of the GOOD ones. If more niggers were like you, they'd maybe even deserve to drink water from the white faucets!".
>>
>>83743333
>for a
Nice change, let me try it
>You're a cunt to your whoremom
See, if I also change two words just like you the phrase becomes offensive
>>
>>83743734
It's obviously he's concerned about race because he brings it up

If he meant "you're doing a good job and you're probably a great role model towards blacks", he would have said that differently.
And if he wasn't concerned about race, he wouldn't mention it because people are people wherever you go.

By saying "your people", he makes a differentiation between John separating him by race.
Instead of using language that congratulates him based on his own personal merit, he congratulates him based on the demerits of his race.
The notion of him saying "you're a credit to your people" means that either typically John's people don't have many people he would consider good or any people he would consider good.

And I'm not saying his intention is to state whites are superior to blacks, I'm saying that his language reflects that belief

tl;dr: he wouldn't have said "your people" if he wasn't racist
>>
>>83743831
>"It's good you're not one of them lazy dumb niggers, you're one of the GOOD ones. If more niggers were like you, they'd maybe even deserve to drink water from the white faucets!".
I love abbreviations, and it makes sense, Streak moves and talks so fast he doesn't have time for long sentences, he sums up all that in "you're a credit to your people" but his intentions are very clear. Also look at his suit, is intended to hate blacks.
>>
>>83743793
Are you messing with me
Credit to == good for
>>
>>83743831
It's pretty clearly a racist thing to say but when someone that old says it you just smile and take the compliment desu
>>
>>83743838
>tfw saying blacks years ago in my country was racist and they became very offended by it so they asked you to say person of color or colored
>tfw saying POC or colored now is racist and they become very offended by it so they ask you to say black
Streak comes from an old time where Black was offensive therefore the you people, he didn't have time to get along with the new language and etiquette
>>
>>83743867
>You're good for a human
>You're a credit to humans
>It's the same
No, it isn't. Go back to school and learn English.
>>
File: VykinTheBlackFP1pg5_sml.jpg (469 KB, 675x344) Image search: [Google]
VykinTheBlackFP1pg5_sml.jpg
469 KB, 675x344
I find it very sad this clip brewed this petty argument about the modern perception of racism and all that. That dialogue was just meant to acknowledge differences between the time the show was made and the one it was paying homage to, not even in a positive or negative way. I don't think there was any racism implied on any part. Just the idea that times change and it was a bit awkward for John to hear that. This show making that in a campy "parody" of the Silver Age is pretty damn admirable, it's more than what most shows homaging that time would have done. I even found it kind of funny.

tldr: No character is saying anything negative about John, not the Streak, not the creators of the show. It's just a way to highlight some awkward cultural differences.

>83743215
Well, he is a good character. But Green Lanterns were boring in this show. They made beams, barriers, moved things and that's pretty much it. I remember only one or two instances where he makes... a crusher? And a maze, maybe? I don't remember very well. There was definitely more variety in constructs in the Brave and the Bold.

Again, happy with John's character and love the show, but wasn't he supposed to be the one with the complex constructs and all that?
>>
>>83743898
They get offended whatever you call them, same with femnazies and SJW, you always start a conversation to them with: Please, inform me of all the acronyms, pronouns, etc I should use to refer to you so I don't trigger you
>>
>>83743954
Crap, meant to quote >>83743215 for the second part of my post but screwed it up.
>>
>>83743954
I thought the point was that he was being racist, in the same way that grandparents are racist. Like you said, a product of the time's culture and nothing really to get offended over.
>>
>>83743898
Black actually wasn't offensive given the period of time that he was from
Not only that, but the fact that he says your people instead of black people still shows the prejudice he holds

>>83743962
>They get offended whatever you call them
I'm assuming you don't call them by their given names
>Please inform me of all the acronyms, pronouns, etc
Tons of people with specific pronouns are more than happy to inform you
>>
>>83743898
Blacks just sounds strange. No one says the whites or the yellows.
No reasonable person has a problem with 'black people'
>>
>>83743987
And we will be racist and to segregationist for people who comes from 100 years in the future. See Capt Harkness, he's pan sexual, meaning he fucks everything, even cars. Bet saying something like you're as attractive as a rock is something offensive in his time.
>>
>>83743916
You're a credit to your people means that because he finds black people to be bad he states that John is a black person he doesn't think of as bad
It's the same thing
you're good for a X
you're a credit to X
>>
>>83743987
>>83744020
Actually no
Stop pretending that there was never a right way to talk to people
Chances are if you come of as racist now, it's because you were racist then
There are plenty of older people who aren't offensive because they have always held the ideas that the current generation has held
>>
>>83743954
>He presents himself as Vykin the Black
Is this a ruse? is he trying to call him that so he gets all upset?
>>
>>83742158
For what? Talking to your own kind?
>>
>>83744074
>a credit to
>if you are a credit to someone connected with you, or if you do them credit, they should be proud of you
Current English disagrees with you but ok
>>
>>83744123
what do you mean by Your own kind?
>>
>>83744135
Dunno where you got that definition but it's wrong, being a credit to means: you're slightly superior to my initial assumption considering you come from a lowly background
>>
File: 836213-vykin.jpg (2 MB, 974x1516) Image search: [Google]
836213-vykin.jpg
2 MB, 974x1516
>>83743987
Well, I don't even think the Streak's necessarily being racist. There's nothing racist about just saying "You're a part of this group and you are doing good things for them". Weren't black USA citizens still in a bad place in the 60s? Maybe the Streak is standing for their rights and happy to see John empowering them? I would assume the creators of this show thought a hero of this time would have this intention, or else he would not be smiling or look kind of deadpan; it's John the one who's out of place in that universe.

Again, I think this moment is just meant to be awkward. I don't think it's even denouncing anything. Just highlighting how things have changed. Lighten up, people. It's meant to be light-hearted.

>>83744106
Nope, that's his name. I think he was the very first DC black superhero, so maybe at the time it made more sense to call him that. See how it now sounds awkward? Similar cultural clash to how John reacts to Streak's comment. And no bad intention or racism on Kirby's part.

For the record, I think Vykin is neat and I was really happy to see him and his crew in Young Justice.
>>
>>83744233
>Throughout the Kirby run, Vykin was referred to as "Vykin the Black". He was the first black superhero to appear in a DC comic book, preceding Kirby's Black Racer by approximately seven months.
Based Kirby.
>>
>>83744135
But saying that he should be a credit to only black people implies that he thinks of him and john as different enough so that john wouldn't also be a credit to people in general including "his people" or white people

saying he's a credit to only black people implies that he views black people as not as good, and given the context of sexual/gender predjudice, it makes sense

>a credit to
>of value or benefit to someone or something; of enough value or worth as to enhance someone or something
so basically he's saying you're good so now black people are less bad
>>
>>83744233
What about MM in DC? wasn't he the first black superhero?
>>
>>83744254
He's implying black people and white people are totally different demographics.
Just like the Chinese are the ones who should be proud of chinese olympic medal winners and not us.
>that definition of credit
you might notice that that definition involves objects while the other involves people
>>
File: johnJones.jpg (77 KB, 384x426) Image search: [Google]
johnJones.jpg
77 KB, 384x426
>>83744296
>>
>>83744314
But that's a nationalistic view not a racial one
Are you saying that it wouldn't make any sense if an ethnically chinese american born person was proud of anyone who isn't chinese?
Why wouldn't a black person be excited whenever any american, even if they aren't black, brings home gold?
It's because you only make distinctions about race if you the distinctions in race

>you might notice that that definition involves objects while the other involves people
read it again silly
>>
>>83744254

To see someone else as being part of a people that is not one's own, so that he is a credit to his people and not one's own, does not imply the inferiority of the other's people. At the absolute worst, it implies a certain distance between the two.

It's like saying that one is a credit to one's parents. That reflects well on them, but it doesn't imply inferiority. To say that one enhances one's parents' value doesn't imply that one's parents are otherwise bad, so mutatis mutandis the expression does not denigrate one's race or people.
>>
>>83742744
All black people are well hung
>>
>>83744333
>Jonzz as a white dude
That's racist
>>
>>83744296
>>83744333
Yep, was about to post that. But kind of pointless, cuz he's A GREEN ALIEN, way, way more alien than Supes, and he can be literally any race he wants in Earth. The only thing concerning J'Onn's race I can say is that my favorite versions of him were voiced by black actors, and since they're arguably some the most famous, I see where this confusion comes from.
>>
>>83744406
That's racist
>>
>>83744410
>Cuz he's a green alien
Yep, and Vykin is a human...oh wait
>>
>>83744366
Given the context of the time period and other prejudiced things that were said, it does imply inferiority
If he wasn't concerned about making a distinction between john and himself by race, he wouldn't have said "your people"

Being a credit to one's parents and being a credit to one's race carry different connotations. Not all analogies transfer. You can't always exchange one word for another and have it mean the same thing. Meanings change based upon given context, both who is saying it and where they are saying it.

Someone picking teams who says "I want you" doesn't mean the exact same thing as someone talking to their lover and saying "I want you"
They carry a similar meaning, but the meanings are different enough to where someone could be confused if they were switched around.
>>
>>83744451
Oh, so all this comes to: I think he's a racist therefore he's a racist no matter his phrase isn't actually racist. Nice to know.
>>
>>83744493
>Oh, so all this comes to
It's been shown that they delegated tasks like cooking and cleaning to females while they talked about how to defeat the villain
If you don't consider that outright sexism, then we can stop arguing now
Given that the are prejudiced against women it makes sense that the writers included that line to show their racial prejudice

But seeing as how you've stopped arguing entirely, I'm sure that it doesn't really matter
>>
>>83744451
>The 40s were racist and sexist
Stop being ageist.
>>
>>83744443
Vykin is an extraterrestrial God, yes, but that's his original form. J'Onn is a made-up alien that takes a human disguise, sometimes black, but Vykin is black amongst definitely caucasian-looking Gods, so there. I understand your point, but I think Vykin is way more of a black hero than J'Onn.

But I guess I also understand seeing J'Onn as a black hero. Carl Lumbly is still the best Martian Manhunter. It's just that he originally wasn't meant to be specifically black, as seen here. >>83744333
>>
>>83739304
The 50's were racist, duh.
>>
>>83743898
Black guy here. I don't know of any time in which 'black' was derogatory. 'Colored' is derogatory because it hardens back to the Jim Crow era and segregation. Only really old people that lived during the Jim Crow era use the word colored to refer to black people and that's only 'colored' was the least derogatory term that was directed black people as a whole. For instance, my grandmother said 'colored' but she was 100 years old when she died back in 2010 and she's from South Carolina. my grandfather was from Boston and he never called anyone colored.
>>
>>83745008
>I don't know of any time in which 'black' was derogatory.
Not him, and as a Spaniard from Spain I tell you black (negro) was and is considered derogatory as fuck here and person of color is starting to also being seen as derogatory now.
>>
>>83741919
Eh. It implies the people in question aren't considered so great, as in having a hero like John was proof that they aren't as bad as people think.
It's not that offensive out of context but it can't really be considered a compliment unless said people need a boost in credit from the speaker's POV
>>
>>83744296
Are you retarded, son?
>>
>>83745088
Where exactly? Not that anon, I'm a Spaniard as well and I used to call a black friend I had in High school and my mulato friend from the Canary islands (I still call him that sometimes, in fact) negro all the time and they didn't even bate an eye. Heck, none of my progressive acquaintances do either. Unless you say "negro de mierda" or make some sort of reference to "THEY'RE SAVAGES" or whatever it's not regarded as offensive. The Spanish language is sadly not as rich in slurs as the English one is. Most of those things you have to communicate through context or tone.

Not to mention just calling black people "gente de raza negra" or "negros" is... absolutely not offensive at all? But on the other hand, in the English language, negro is, undoubtedly offensive, I think even more than nigger. We were also discussing up there how calling a black hero "The Black" is kind of inappropriate now.
>>
>>83744410
Honestly, that's still fucking dumb as black people can voice non-white characters.
>>
Most human green lanterns are uppity fuckers who don't know their place in the world and consistently try to rise above their station or act out and break rules.

John on the other hand knows his place and does the job he's meant to do without any fuss. In that way he's a credit to his people.
>>
>>83742970
Black People, are they not a distinct american ethnic group?
>>
>>83745088
Yeah but your language is the only one that doesn't differentiate black from nigger.
In France some people use "black" in English to refer to people because for some obscure (heh) reason some people started getting offended by "noir".
>>
>>83745261
That's the stupidest one yet. No way he meant GLs.
>>
>>83745235
>Where exactly?
Galicia
>>
>>83745318
You're thinking of African Americans, black people are an international racial group (probably doesn't qualify as an ethnic group given the cultural diversity among them).
>>
>>83745261
Did he ever know about The Green Lantern Corps? I don't think so.
>>
File: cia.png (813 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
cia.png
813 KB, 900x900
>>83743333
>You are big for a guy.
>>
>>83741855
You missed the point of his post. He was saying that the show was able to have these characters, who were undeniably heroes and "good" people overall, as racists due to the time period they grew up in, which creates interesting character interactions like this.
Today a "good" character generally cannot be written in this way, both because of corporate policy and the fear of backlash from the audience.
I think this is not a great example of this idea however, because this concept was literally solely brought up for this specific joke.
>>
>>83745088
Negro is considered derogatory here in the US as well. However, I can only speak for how things are done where I live. Different regions have different ways.

For instance, where I'm from, someone saying "what's up?" Was a basic greeting when I was in high school. Normally the response would be "nothing much". Anyhow, I went to Brooklyn to stay with a cousin for the summer and a girl walked up to me and said "what's up?", when I responded "nothing much" she got pissed and stormed off in a huff. Turns out "what's up?" in Brooklyn meant "what's up-with us hooking up?" in that context. Girls where I'm from would just say "where's your girlfriend at?" or something like that.
>>
>>83739304
You know what he meant. That was the point.
>>
>>83745235
Your friend is from somewhere else. It's like calling a black American a Kaffir or something. The word has no meaning here. I've had people tell me that some politician got in trouble for using a racist term that I never even heard of before. I had to go look it up to see what the fuss was about.
>>
>>83746198
Somewhere else? The Canary Islands are a part of Spain, he was born there and is half spaniard. His mother tongue is Spanish. And negro means literally black. It's not a slur in any way.

Not to mention he's a bit of a SJW, if this was offensive in any way he would at least be like "Aw, c'mon" but like I said, he doesn't bat an eye.
>>
>>83743459
>Maybe it's got to do with the advance of individualism. To imply that the individual is embedded in a larger social category at all beyond a completely universal (and trivial) one, might be interpreted as taking away from their individuality.

Mostly this yeah.
>>
>>83746474
It's a slur if it's used as a slur.
>>
>>83742580
I suppose you haven't read much Lantern related stuff?
>>
>>83746554
If you take a look at the development of modern history, people's faith has steadily shrunk in its scope over the past two centuries. From God, to science, to the state, to the individual...

And now, to feelings - not even the individual as a whole that is; only the FEEEEEELINGS part. Hurting sb.'s feelings or "triggering" them is by and large considered a horrible crime.
>>
>>83745681
>>83745528

>autists r us
>>
>>83742726
O.p. here meant to say all nigers should hang with other races and share they're eloquent passion for the arts with us all
>>
>>83745174
But in context we know that black people are usually pretty bad, so what he said is not wrong.
>>
It was racist in the same way that many of the interactions between "good" blacks of the 50s and white people were racist, and in this case patronizing.

"wow you're one of the good ones" is insulting. Does that necessarily make Streak a _bad_ person? Maybe, maybe not. To chalk it up to the times, therefore its not racist, is silly. It's clearly offensive to any reasonable black person, then or now.

Lots of white people during that time were racists and they weren't wearing white hoods or lynching niggas or blowing up churches. Lots of these white folk didn't have to be foaming at the mouth at the sight of colored folk for them to be considered racist. You could very easily be cordial and polite to black folk while at the same time be condescending, give backhanded compliments, and be patronizing as fuck towards them. That's fucking racist whether you like it or not.
>>
>>83746991
It's not because your jokes are so shit we can't tell they're jokes that it's our fault anon.
>>
>>83747134
That's kind of irrelevant though. You can be both right and racist.
>>
>>83747367

Wasn't me, who made the initial joke anon, just pointing out how obvious it was.
>>
He was trying to say "You're making blacks look good in the eyes of neutral people and racists by being a good member in a time where our races are divided." but of course /co/mblr is going to make it sound something from /pol/.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.