[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular Opinions thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7
File: uo.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
uo.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
share 'em here

that people still ride the new wave of british comics writers from the 80s is a testament to how stagnant the medium is becoming.

There are very few cape comics that are really good right now and people will settle for watered down whatever that plays to their sense of nostalgia

cartoons need to stop feeling the need to cater to any whims except the creators

live action capeshit discussion is totally okay
>>
>>83736844
cartoons and anime are literally the same thing with different names, and i respect both as a medium and what they've done to change and inspire not only my life, but others as well, although i do prefer western animation over eastern.

the 4kids opening theme song is better than the Japanese version IMO

Johnny test was okay in it's Kids WB run, and even a little into it's CN run

El Tigre is one of the best cartoons ever made

Mabel literally isn't as bad as everyone says she is

i don't mind the Cal-arts style as long as the show has good writing/comedy/characters.

not /co/ related, but i like the English them to most anime dubs than the original, excluding the ones that have an English theme originally, or only have a Japanese theme Freckles isn't that bad
>>
>>83736844
>that people still ride the new wave of british comics writers from the 80s is a testament to how stagnant the medium is becoming.

You're right. but I wouldn't say the medium just the Big 2. There's exciting talent out there at Dark Horse, Image, Fanta, and some self publishing people
>>
>>83737218
sorry when i referred to medium i should've been more specific with big 2. a lot of the problem is fanboys who feel some sort of unreciprocated obligation to keep these characters alive in the media and keep ip static and that love isn't ever really acknowledged by creators other than the occasional press statement at comic-con of "we do this for the fans".
>>
I recently discovered Morrison wrote and is currently writing stories for comics not in the big 2. These go completely undiscussed here and leads me to believe all the biggest Morrisonites are actually the biggest casuals who just need something to latch onto to feel somehow superior to the other posters here.
>>
File: 1465682119334.png (18 KB, 209x97) Image search: [Google]
1465682119334.png
18 KB, 209x97
>>
>that people still ride the new wave of british comics writers from the 80s is a testament to how stagnant the medium is becoming.

Alan Moore, as always, was right.
>>
>live action capeshit discussion is totally okay

That's not an opinion, if you mean they're okay on this board. That's just factually wrong.

By definition they are neither comics nor cartoons, and therefore have no place on /co/. Neither do cape movies.
>>
>>83737428
alan moore himself would probably tell you to stop reading his books because of his status
>>
>>83737384
>These go completely undiscussed here and leads me to believe all the biggest Morrisonites are actually the biggest casuals who just need something to latch onto to feel somehow superior to the other posters here.

I wouldn't say they go completely undiscussed, just a lot less. Discussion of his DC stuff tends to dominate, but I've definitely seen non-big 2 works discussed.

Also, do you count Vertigo as Big 2?
>>
>>83737454
Movies directly influence what Marvel will do.
>>
>>83736844
I think mlp should be allowed in /co/
>>
>>83737482
Sure, but they still don't belong on this board, by definition.

You can discuss the influence in discussions of the comics, but not the movies themselves.
>>
Uncanny Inhumans is one of the best current Marvel ongoings
>>
>>83737461
He'd tell me to stop reading Providence?
>>
>>83736844
These might be the lest controversial "unpopular opinions" I have ever seen.
>>
>>83737541
if you're only reading providence because its written by alan moore

namely he'd want you to read it for being a good-ass book
>>
>>83737428
If he's so smart, why did he sign that awful contract with DC?
>>
>>83737548
Come on, even he would say that's silly. He knows his name as an author is part of what draws people to the book.

If he really wanted what you're describing he'd use a different name and let the work live or die on quality alone.
>>
>>83737120
The only thing I disagree with here is the english themes one but music is subjective as shit anyway. Otherwise agree 100%
>>
>>83736844
It's Such a Beautiful Day is overrated.

I liked Hush
>>
>>83737575
Because he was a young anarchist leftist idealist with little to no business sense.
>>
>>83736844
Harley quinn is one of the worse dc characters ever and her ship with Ivy is one of the worse relationships ever written
>>
>>83737218
>There's exciting talent out there at Dark Horse, Image, Fanta, and some self publishing people

Sure, they're just inferior to the British Invasion writers of the 80s, as all writers since have been.
>>
>>83737575
He was young and wanted work. I mean Alan Moore's last job before he became a professional writer was a janitor in a shitty motel or something similar. I'm sure DC was offering way better pay than 2000AD.
>>
>>83737665
Evan Dorkins did more for the medium than any of those dudes ever did.
>>
Lana > Lois

Next to Catwoman, Steph is my favorite batfamily member and her as Robin is an interesting idea, and I wished they went further with it than they did.

I don't like the conspiracy theorist version of Question from the DCAU.
>>
>>83737726
Milk and Cheese was pretty cool, but nah.
>>
>>83737726
I think it's impossible to stress how much Moore had an impact on writing. Not with Watchmen, but The Anatomy Lesson his second issue of Swamp Thing. When people talk about how Watchmen changed what people thought you could do with mainstream comic writing I think they're misattributingit it. For some reason Watchmen is easy to put on a pedestal, probably because it's a stand alone graphic novel
>>
>>83737810
bro all those british writers ended up in eerily specific lanes of storytelling that shows how far they've 'progressed' nobody wants to touch a true war story because ennis has that niche filled. nobody wants to do crazy psychedelic metatext because that's morrison's thing. those dudes fell into lanes very quickly and kept putting out the same book over and over
>>
>>83737861
>those dudes fell into lanes very quickly and kept putting out the same book over and over

That's the trap most comic pros fall in. I was reading an interview with R.Crumb where he says that he thinks most comic artists will have about 7 years of immense creativity and then get stuck with an audience and just make products for that audiences taste forever
>>
File: 018.jpg (174 KB, 1200x850) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
174 KB, 1200x850
>>83736844
>>83737120
I really don't disagree with any of these opinions except

>not /co/ related, but i like the English them to most anime dubs than the original, excluding the ones that have an English theme originally, or only have a Japanese theme

It really depends on what shows you watched but most I've seen don't have English dubbed themes even in the dub. Very popular and good shows like Eva and Cowboy bebop also have a mix of English an Japanese music. The songs usually work better in their native tongue for me though but that's really only because some dubs loose their musicality in the translation.

of course a well translated song can always fix that.

Prime example.
Some Where beyond the sea/ La Mer/ that song at the end of that remake of a British spy movie that no one saw but me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcp3_OT2-0
>>
The nu52 Bat Girl should have been Cassandra Cain,i guess the unpopular opinion is if you disagree, i hope you get raped by the cast of Fraggle Rock.
>>
>>83737905
as much as i love brandon graham's work i feel like he's falling into a lane do you agree at all? like dude is into these slice of life pun-filled sci-fi stories mostly
>>
>>83738086
His current big work is Prophet and that isn't really slice of life or pun-filled
>>
>>83737521
>Being this spastic
>>
I didn't find any amazing positive message from Flex Mentallo :man of myself. I heard people claim it saved them from suicide but I don't feel anything.
>>
>>83738086
I don't think his work on Mirror, Kiem, or Prophet, really fall into that stuff. Just King City and Multiple Warheads
>>
>>83737738
Did you like her as Robin better than Batgirl?
>>
I loved BvS.

I think Alan Moore is a talented writer but is so far up his own ass he doesn't realize he's just telling people to stop liking what he doesn't like.

Most people who don't like Grant Morrison just don't want to use thier brains while reading comics and would rather have guys like Snyder spout exposition through character "dialogue".

I want cape writers to stop with these multi issue stories and just write some solid one shot stories. Batman has to solve a mop hit. If Superman touches anything it'll blow up and hes got to save the day. Just one and done fun stories.
>>
>>83738368
Spoiler = Batgirl > Robin.
She was only Robin for like three issues, so Batgirl wins.
If you mean if i'd rather see her be Robin than Batgirl, then eh sure. I think her strongest appeal is that she's an amateur learning the ropes among the people who are the best at what they do.
Had she stayed Robin and been shown improving over time and proving her worth, I think she would have had more fans.
We kind of got that in her Batgirl run before the N52 happened. I just hope her time in Tec' is done well.
>>
>>83737490
i would agree if it wasn't for the fact that if we let mlp back in, /mlp/ would follow
>>
>>83738522
Why don't you like multi issue arcs? One shots are fine, but they can coexist.
>>
>>83738562
They're fine it's just that it's the norm now and I hate it. The best I've seen it done recently was early on in Wales run on DD where they were only three or so issues.
>>
Jason Todd is the most relatable and human Batman character, everyone else is a Mary-Sue/Boring AF
>>
>>83737120
>not /co/ related, but i like the English them to most anime dubs than the original,
Well i dont watch dubs and even as kid when i watched anime it was always in japanese with subtitles.
>>
GL:TAS was nothing special and will never understand people that fellate to it.
>>
>>83737623

I want more of her
<---
>>
File: Don't flinch.png (2 MB, 1000x1350) Image search: [Google]
Don't flinch.png
2 MB, 1000x1350
I take great satisfaction at Turbo Autists who get triggered over my Legend of Korra fanfiction.

http://murrlogic1.deviantart.com/
>>
>>83736844
Steven Universe and Kamala Kahn are both utter and complete shit.
>>
>>83737404
I kek'd.
>>
>>83736844
I wish GR15 wasn't enforced as much as it is, considering it caused the autism of barneyfag.

Generals shouldn't be as they foster and develop cancer.

CGI is just a medium, good stuff has come from it and, as Disney and Weta have proved, it can be used well with other mediums.

Frozen fags should be napalmed.
>>
>>83736844
I wish Gordon was still Batman.
>>
Wreck-it Ralph was shit
>>
Edd, Ed n' Eddy was boring as hell. I get it tried to do slapstick but it utterly failed at it. Anything by Tom & Jerry is 10 times funnier. The designs were also ugly as fuck.

I will never understand what people saw on that show.
>>
[spoilers]I'm a dirty fucking casual when it comes to comic but was told Rebirth is a great starting off point but the revelation that there is actually three Jokers is the most stupid thing I've seen. Maybe it makes sense if I read everything else but like how come Batman couldn't tell there are like 3 Jokers fannying about[/spoilers]
>>
>>83741535
Boy I really fucked that Spoiler up
>>
>>83737120
Wait, do people not like El Tigre?
>>
>>83741535
It makes no more sense if you have context the opinion that it's fucking retarded is a popular one i doubt it will last more then 6 issues
>>
Legend of Korra was good.
>>
>>83736844
Are any of them even still writing? Ennis didn't start in the US until late 91; Ellis was even later by a number of years. Other than that there's China Miéville who I guess is technically still doing comics (and started with a single Hellblazer special in 1988) and Neil Gaiman, who gets pretty good sales when he bothers now and then.

None of them are what you'd call prolific, though. Has there been a slavish attempt to copy their various styles? Or do you just mean that DC has pushed Watchmen again recently, because seriously, they've got very little else that still sells.
>>
>>83737454
>comics nor cartoons, and therefore have no place on /co/

/co/ is the board for media of western origin, not just comics and cartoons, and it has always said that right in the board rules

we've been over this with you many times now
>>
>>83736844
Arguing over Injustice 2's roster makes no sense to me because Netherrealm is really bad at doing superheros justice and they're also really bad at making unique characters that are actually fun to play.
>>
>>83736844
>live action capeshit discussion is totally okay
Unless it's not based on a comic.
>>
Civil war 2 #1 is the best first issue in any event.
>>
>>83742120
Except the rules were further clarified by the year long sticky back in like 2014. Basically if it's based on a comic or cartoon then live action discussion is okay, if it's not based on a comic or cartoon then live action discussion is not okay.
>>
>>83742179
and I also like yearly events.
>>
>>83742179
Bendis, why do you say things that aren't true?
>>
The only movie I'm excited for this summer is the Neon Demon because I'm a slut for Refn films, even if he's pretty mediocre at stories.
>>
>>83742179
What... what exactly did you like about it?
>>
Harley Quinn is a shitty character that DC is forcing waaaay too hard.
>>
aside from the godawful visuals, i thought problem solverz was alright
>>
Through The Woods is shit.

John Arcudi is a much better writer than Mike Mignola.

JMS' Amazing Spider-Man was a much better "slice of life with some superhero shit" kind of comic than Fraction's Hawkeye

Hitman >>> Ennis' Punisher

All live-action cape movie/show villains are either mediocre or completely terrible.

Shade the Changing Man is one of the best Vertigo comics ever.
>>
The first 2 seasons of the Simpsons suck
>>
Jessica Jones is a mediocre-to-bad overpraised show and a complete failure as a psychological horror/thriller on every level.
Kilgrave is similarly overrated and boring.
>>
>>83742333
It really needed to be on Adult Swim.
>>
The only problem with current Inhuman push is giving them too many appearances in other books. Name drops, having them get a part in the big event, and variant covers are fine ways to advertise them and wont throw off other story lines.
>>
>>83742402

Very popular opinion, m8.

The Conan years are best
>>
>>83736844
Scott Snyder can be great, he just works better with original content

Carlarts isn't killing animation, it's keeping it alive in dark times. Money is the real killer

Creators should not be heard or judge by their views in anything, ther are just stupid as us, if it don't effect the work, they are still okay in my book
>>
I actively enjoy the newer seasons of Family Guy, and do not like the older ones, mainly as they don't have enough dark humor.
>>
File: miracle.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
miracle.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
Miracle Whip is better than Hellmann's.
>>
>>83742956
>he just works better with American Vampire
FTFY.
Wytches and The Wake are shit. I sometimes can't understand how a man responsible for those can create something as good as AV.
>>
>>83743123
agreed but they are not the same thing to me
>>
Astro City is mediocre.
>>
>>83736844
I greatly prefer 3D CG animation to 2D traditional animation.

I don't want Marvel/Disney to get the rights to X-men back. Trying to add all that to the MCU would be a clusterfuck.

I thought X3 the last stand was better than X-men 1, First Class and Apocalypse.

I like Donner Supes better than Snyder Supes.
>>
>>83738551
That is the most rational argument against letting us back in I've heard in years.
>>
File: Escalation.png (873 KB, 1104x574) Image search: [Google]
Escalation.png
873 KB, 1104x574
>>83736844
I think Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is the best comic Marvel is putting out right now. I think it's funny and it stays the FUCK away from events.

The moment a new team takes over, it will be likely unreadable to me. Comedy/more lighthearted cape books immediately under new management, see for instance Power Girl.
>>
>>83736844

Those seem far from unpopular to me.
>>
>>83742122
To be fair, the only studio that makes fighting games that are fun to play is Sega AM2.
>>
I'm glad Disney can't crow bar x-men and FF into the MCU

I wouldn't be reading comics today if it wasn't for Nu52

I like Alex Ross's art

When web comics have shitty art or blatant fetish service it doesn't bother me as long as the story is entertaining
>>
>>83746894
Liking Alex Ross is not unpopular. He's a very good illustrator, the problem is that he's not a good comic artist.
>>
>>83745698
I think that they ruined the joke and that Ryan North can only write preteen inoffensive "safe" comedy. He's not for me, but everyone writes the character better.
>>
>>83736844
Ive never had any real grievance or problem with just about any issue people on /co/ have cited as sjw trash or pandering. The criticisms against men I see in comics are directed at a very real part of the Fandom, not everyone with a penis, and taking it as a personal attack is retarded.

One that comes to mind is the whole Ghostbusters thing. I've seen it phrased as delicately as "there are people with legitimate issues with this movie but there is a small but vocal subset that hate it for sexist reasons", yet people still take it as though the comment was directed at everyone who dares criticize the movie.

Whether it's actual stupidity or people twisting arguments to stir shit, the anti-progressive slant on this board is a cancer. Primarily because it gets brought up in every goddamn thread and makes up most of the threads in general.

People tout that if sjws are trying to rid this site of free and thoughtful open discussion. However, it is these shit posters who derail threads into yet another 500+ shitstorm of why korra was bad.

I'm actually actively seeking out better communities than this one where I don't have to sift through meaningless vitro to find a shred of decent discussion.
>>
>>83738040
Trigger should do a Eva remake. And make it "Trigger funny"
>>
There is nothing wrong with cartoons or comics today. /co/ is simply grown out of these but have no realize it yet.
>>
Spider-Man movies are the only good things Sam Raimi is responsible for. Evil Dead is awful, and its sequels are somehow even worse.

On the matter of horror creators, Wes Craven was a mediocrity who contributed to the downfall of the horror genre.
>>
culture is the most cancerous thing on the planet
>>
>>83742313
Honestly I mostly agree with this, I'm sick of her being pushed as DC's Fem deadpool and she has the most ridiculous over-exposure of a character thats undeserved right now.
>>
>>83736844
I really like the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. As in it is the only monthly I buy right now that Morrison isn't doing anything.
I don't understand Spider-Gwen
Geoff Johns is a shitty writer who cares more about nostalgia than interesting characters and plots. He is the opposite of Morrison. The only series he wrote that I liked was JSA.
I like Kyle Rayner.
Most of /co/ only cares about art when they can complain about SJWs
I think Joss Whedon is a bad writer and a bland director.
I think that the Thing would work as a black guy
>>
>>83737384
>>83737479
There's more Morrison Big 2 work than Morrison non big 2 work, it'd be weirder if it wasn't discussed more.
>>
Infinite Crisis gets way too much shit and is better than COIE.
>>
>>83746770
What the fuck is a good video game opinion doing in /co/ of all places?
>>
>>83737120
Good first post

>>83737490
Nah, just remove GR15

>>83745698
fuck I need to read this again
>>
>>83742386
>Hitman >>> Ennis' Punisher
That's a pretty popular opinion. I've never seen anybody claim otherwise.
>>
Big Hero 6 is one of the greatest animated movies of all time

Henry Cavil is a fantastic Superman trapped in a terrible franchise.

Injustice 2 looks kind of shitty

Ms. Marvel is a good book totally divorced from Kamala being cute

Don Hertzfeldt is incredibly overrated. He's a decent animator but a horrible writer.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.