[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When was the last time a comic book superhero movie had a really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: X-Men-Apocalypse-1-645x370.jpg (60 KB, 645x370) Image search: [Google]
X-Men-Apocalypse-1-645x370.jpg
60 KB, 645x370
When was the last time a comic book superhero movie had a really good villain?
>>
>>83675365
Burton's Batman.
>>
My dick in your mom's mouth
LOL #SCORCHED
>>
>>83675739
Jack Nicholson was a better Joker than Ledger
>>
>>83676149
Jack Nicholson was a better Jack Nicholson than Ledger.
>>
>>83675365
TDKR.
>>
Since Captain America: Civil War.
>>
>>83675365
Willem Dafoe in Spiderman
>>
>>83676574
Talia was shit
>inb4 bane
Bane was a tool the reveal destroyed his credibility
>>
>>83676740
I didn't like the reveal either but Bane was still good and, twist aside, a much stronger villain than most anything since
>>
>>83675365
Civil War.

If Apoc had come before it, I'd have to think a lot further back, but Zemo was pretty great, if understated.
>>
>>83675365
I liked Yellow Jacket.
He was very ably acted.
>>
>>83676866
Best live action Ultron as of now.
>>
>>83675365
Apocalypse was charming, campy and entertaining. Dont fool yourself thinking there is good writing on cape movies.

The last good villain was Rorschach in Watchmen.

>>83676740
nah, he is pretty underrated. It was a great performance, remember that Hardy is a manlet and he was quite physically intimidating, or at least he was when I watched it the first time. Then the memes came. But still a fucking achievement. He was also greatly expressive despise the fact his face was covered with a mask and could only use his eyes.

>>83676836
There is not much Zemo in the movie, is nothing like Zemo and his plan made as little sense as did Lex's. Frankly all the hype it was because lol suicide so mature.
>>
>>83677010
>There is not much Zemo in the movie, is nothing like Zemo and his plan made as little sense as did Lex's.
Nah, his plan was simple:
1. Find out where is the evidence about Bucky killing the Starks
2. Get to evindence
3. Show it to Tony

Everything else was him being lucky/right because the Avengers were already primed to be fractured in the first place. Tony didn't have to go to Siberia for it to work. Heck, it would've still worked with all the 12 people going there. Zemo just needed to show that Cap was flawed to shake them enough to start fucking up.

>Frankly all the hype it was because lol suicide so mature.
Yeah, I'll give you that that part was a bit cliché'd, but at that point, he didn't care for seeing his victory, just that he had already won. The seed of mistrust had been planted, even if they had shook hands and left, because Tony would never again back down from an argument with Steve because Steve was no longer automatically right.

I'm not saying he's the best villain ever, but he was really good and really well implemented in a way that the fact that he shows up so little makes sense and furthers the point that he's just that efficient. Unlike all the other Marvel heroes that usually just suck because of it.
>>
>>83677010
Zemo's plan made perfect sense. He knew Stark was unstable and finding out that Bucky killed his mom would finally push him over the edge. Zemo learned from the information dump that Hydra not only had Bucky kill Stark's parents, but that they had a tape. All he needed was the tape. That is why he went after the Hydra agent in Cleveland. When he did not break his only other move was to flush Bucky out, use the control book, and get Bucky to tell him where the mission data was hidden. After that he had to lure Stark to the site, which is why he set up the breakfast the way he did, knowing that Stark would come.

It was a nice, cohesive plan with a backup. Zemo's only failure was his own suicide as he did drive a wedge in the Avengers and drove them underground.
>>
Wow, that really makes me think.

Why are villains so hard to do in comic book films?
>>
>>83677010
>is nothing like Zemo
I thought it was pretty close. Meticulous planner, obsessed with Cap, good with weapons but mainly relies on his mind. They got his ethnic origin muddled, but...
>>
>>83677226
I'm >>83677167 and I'll just append that, in all fairness, the biggest flaw in Zemo's plan was that he assumed that Cap had not told Tony, but that is just comic book logic of 'I studied you and knew you wouldn't have talked' sort of leap.

>>83677274
Limited screen time. Unless your hero is sort of a blank slate to cast your villains onto (like Batman), most villains end up being an obstacle to beat rather than a character. TV Shows have an easier time.

>>83677359
Also his plan involved masking as someone else and gloat directly to Cap before his plan was completed (despite Cap not being able to do anything about it at that point). His origin was just not mentioned. There's still ways of making him a Baron and giving him a mask. They just didn't want to commit to a design/story until they have him in a movie again.
>>
>>83677010
>Rorschach
>villain

u wot
>>
>>83677226
Zemo's plan is pulled off by the film ignoring basic security and engineering measures. The simplicity helps because you don't look at it very carefully, but he still manages to somehow pull off two bombings from his room in a bed and breakfast, successfully impersonate a guy with high level security clearance despite looking nothing like him, and personally decipher more HYDRA files than the entire world combined.
>>
Batfleck was a great villain.
>>
>>83677511
All of which can be explained by him being a movie/comic-tier spy-soldier.

Also, he was the only one obsessed about it, like he explains, and could "decypher" through intimidation, like he tried to do.

None of it is a particular big leap for these sorts of things. A bit keikaku, but that's Zemo for you.
>>
>>83675365
BvS
>>
>>83677664
Directors don't count.
>>
>>83677274
No one wants to go through the effort of building them up over multiple films and making them recurring, instead opting for them being one-off chumps that die in the same movie they premiere. It's like everyone's forgetting that the villains characterization is just as important as the hero's when it should be the most obvious thing in the world..
>>
>>83677511
>successfully impersonate a guy with high level security clearance despite looking nothing like him,

Its hilarious to me that one of the most crucial things in the film, a Bucky replica mask, is never once seen , merely mentioned in a quick briefing towards the end of the movie. That damn mask sets off a series of events and is a major catalyst for one character's motivation yet it exists effectively only as a quick bit of dialogue.
>>
File: 4586148-12.jpg (144 KB, 656x411) Image search: [Google]
4586148-12.jpg
144 KB, 656x411
>>83675365
>>
>>83677796

>No one wants to go through the effort of building them up over multiple films and making them recurring, instead opting for them being one-off chumps that die in the same movie they premiere.

Movies aren't comic books. I have no interest in watching seven movies in order to get a good villain at the end, this a format for self-contained narratives.
>>
File: ShreckWalken.jpg (38 KB, 299x310) Image search: [Google]
ShreckWalken.jpg
38 KB, 299x310
>>83675739

correct
>>
>>83679861

>Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed like Batman?

Batman Returns has its moments.
>>
>>83675365

Heath Ledger's Joker
>>
General zod
>>
>>83677883

Black Widow turned into a wolrd security council member, so it's becoming a cheap cop-out for the russos. They need knock this shit off and just use skrulls already.
>>
>>83679894

Max Shreck was almost Harvey Dent, with the electric kiss at the end making him two-face.

They should have just done it with Max Shreck, thats the problem with comic book movies, aliases can give things. That would have blown people away.
>>
Dredd, Nothing ground breaking or all that deep, but she was an effective antagonist.
>>
>>83675365
There's been some pretty good jokers over the years
Damaged aside the next one is shaping up to be ok to.
>>
>>83675365
Is that Ganondorf?
>>
>>83675365
I liked Loki, he was relatible but clearly wrong.
Trask in Days of ' ... I WANT to say Ultron ...
Huh, Civil War didn't actually have one? Now that I think of it that movie was almost entirely Avengers self-destructing.
This is kinda weird because it doesn't seem to have hurt the movies to not have many good villians but in comics it's the kiss of death to have a weak rogue's gallery.
>>
>>83675365
X-Men Apocalypse
>>
>>83677440
>TV Shows have an easier time.
And yet 90 percent of all comic-book TV show villains are dogshit.
The only passable ones we've had were Reverse-Flash and Kingpin.
>>
>>83677274
Because studios want sequels formoney. They are terrified that a villain winning in a movie would mean less money for the sequel.
>>
File: lol ok.jpg (29 KB, 531x530) Image search: [Google]
lol ok.jpg
29 KB, 531x530
>>83676866
>>83676901
>Yellowjacket comments always have to mention he was a better Ultron than Ultron
>lets ignore we were told everything about him rather than saw him actually develop as a character
>all we're actually shown are bad guy cliches
I liked Antman too, but lets not pretend there was anything to Cross. He's about as one dimensional as they get.
>>
>>83675365
Baron Zemo
>>
>>83681730
Killgrave, you stupid bitch.
>>
>>83681920
Fuck off you tasteless cunt. He was awful just like the rest of that shit show.
>>
>>83677010
apocalypse was shit, WAKE UP!
>>
>>83676149
>>83676540
Ledger was NotAnarky and normies fucking love him.
>>
>>83675365
Cap and his team of terrorists were decent villains.
>>
>>83682690
Except Anarky is not a villain, and thousand times more interesting and complex than LOLCHAOS EVERYONE IS BAD teenage angst bullshit.
>>
>>83681890
Hey, /co/ absolutely loves one-dimensional, uncharismatic and unthreatening villains. Even praises some of them as the best villains ever.
>>
General Zod in Man of Steel

Has very clear, and understandable motivations, not just DESTROY EARTH BECAUSE EVIL! Probably one of the stronger points of Man of Steel.

Why can't Marvel do villains, at least in the MCU.
>>
>>83683700
He was just an angry dude who wanted to transform Earth into his former planet.
He's basically a human Bayformers Megatron.
>>
>>83675365
Apocalypse
>>
>>83681740
>Good villain = villain winning
Ugh
>>
>>83681941
And now that we know you trigger so easily we know why you didn't watch it
>>
>>83685017
>you didn't like my shitty show/villain, so you didn't watch it
Nice to know JJ-fags never stop being retarded.
>>
Loki.
>>
>>83688539
>pathetic manbaby with daddy issues
>good villain
>>
File: 1.jpg (171 KB, 1297x489) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
171 KB, 1297x489
>>83676599

sure thing, kid
>>
File: trash.jpg (134 KB, 778x1018) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
134 KB, 778x1018
>>83688646
>IGN

Also
>1.jpg
>>
>>83675365
What is your definition of a good villain?
>>
File: superman.jpg (11 KB, 254x198) Image search: [Google]
superman.jpg
11 KB, 254x198
>>83675365
Every solo superman movie including returns and man of steel
I still dont get why the villain is the star of the movies
>>
>>83680019
Except Billy Dee Williams was already cast as and played Harvey Dent with the express pay or play for Two-Face down the line.
>>
>>83688819
Not OP, but
>has terrifying, menacing presence and makes any scene he appears in filled with tension and suspense (the most important thing in a villain for me)
>monstrous/evil enough to feel like a threat, but human enough to not be completely cartoonish, unless the writer is very good at pulling an inhuman monster thing well.
>entertaining (preferable, but not necessary)
I guess I'd have to settle for those few slasher movies that are good or stuff like Silence of the Lambs and No Country for Old Men, because cape movies and shows are extremely disappointing when it comes to the kind of villains I consider to be good. (some comics and cartoons are a whole lot better in that regard). Complexity and stuff like that is fine and all, but sometimes simple villains work very well and complex ones fall flat.
>>
>>83688870
Except what the fuck does that matter when in reality, someone replaced him anyway. Shitbird.
>>
>>83675365
The first half of Iron Man 3.

But that movie was such a steaming pile otherwise.
>>
>>83688646
>1.jpg
Go be mad elsewhere, cuck.
>>
>>83690234
I wouldn't have minded the twist had Mandarin been replaced with a good villain, not fucking Killian. He was so uninspired it was the first time I was bored by Guy Pearce.
>>
Bane?

Or General Zod.
>>
Abomination anyone?
>>
>>83681911
only if you never seen a superhero movie before
>>
>>83682675
indeed, wake up marveldrone
>>
>>83676540
Jack Nicholson was a better Jack Nicholson than Jack Nicholson.
>>
File: Faora.jpg (461 KB, 618x929) Image search: [Google]
Faora.jpg
461 KB, 618x929
>implying
>>
>>83688870

Pretty sure he got paid for batman 3 even though he didnt appear in it.

Walken would have been the tits as Two-face and you know it.
>>
>>83677167
I just don't understand why he would go through all of the hydra files expecting to see something that could destroy the avengers. That part just doesn't sit well with me. If he already knew that bucky killed stark's parents and just needed proof, no problem but then how did he find out? Of course he looked for it in the hydra files but why did he look in the first place?
>>
>>83692603
Figures a tripfaggot is also a useless waifufaggot.
>>
>>83675365
Batman from BvS
>>
>>83677010

>The last good villain was Rorschach in Watchmen.

You must be an insane leftist
>>
>>83677687
kek
>>
>>83692603
>>
>>83695146
He was obsessed to find a flaw in the avengers after his family died. He knew the SHIELD files had been leaked so he looked them up.

After a year decyphering/investigating he found out that Bucky had killed the Starks (Zola knew it, Widow knew it, Cap knew it). Notice how Widow tells Cap that he might find out ugly things about Bucky in the files she gives him.

After that he just needed proof (which he suspected existed from the leaks), but wanted it to be visceral and definitive before sending it to Stark. When he saw the opportunity to show it, he did.
>>
>>83679792
Star wars had a villian that lasted throughout 3 movies, the problem is just that the writing in comic book movies never makes the villian interesting or threatening
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.