[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2009 >Morrison's Batman and Robin >Rucka's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10
File: Reborn.jpg (104 KB, 824x1280) Image search: [Google]
Reborn.jpg
104 KB, 824x1280
>2009
>Morrison's Batman and Robin
>Rucka's Batwoman
>Dini's Gotham City Sirens
>Miller's Batgirl
>Yost on Red Robin

Was there ever a better time to a batfag?
>>
I still re-read Morrison's run from time to time. It's so great.
>>
Dunno was also doing Streets of Gotham, wasn't he?
>>
>>83669318
Yeah but while that series was pretty good, it wasn't the god-tier we were seeing from everything else.
>>
>>83669253
>>Miller's Batgirl
>>Yost on Red Robin
Ew.
>no mention of Streets of Gotham
hh
>>
>tfw you browsed /co/ the most during that time and you remember the majority of the board shitting on all 5 of those books
>>
>>83669591
As someone who didnt come to /co/ until after Snyder showed up, how did everyone shit on Morrison's run before they pulled a 180 and decided to praise it as God?
>>
>>83669591
"What else is new"? for $300, Alex
>>
>>83669253
The 70's, mostly the Englehart and O'Neil stuff making Batman serious again instead of the goofy silver age clown that became popular because of comics code shenanigans and the TV show influencing more camp
>>
>>83669675
Morrison gets shit on constantly here. I remember back then it was the minority that loathe his work and most of us loved the book. Storytimes were filled with multiversity theories and shit.
>>
>>83669591
The only one I remember people hating was Batgirl but it was mostly Cassfags and passed by the end of the run
>>
>>83669675
At the time they hated Damien, hated how his stories had bad art, weren't part of the "Bat Family", had transparent twist, and played more goofy than the traditional Dixon style combat Batman

You should have been here when they had those previews of the flying Batmobile. Non stop shitposting
>>
>>83669253

>Batwoman in any capacity
>Worst Batgirl replacing best Batgirl
>Catwoman stuck in a Harley Quinn containment book
>Batman-lite

Was there ever a worse time to be a Batfag?
>>
>>83669826
I never understood Cassfags hatred for Steph. Cass' character was ruined by editorial long before Steph came along.
>>
I miss it so much
>>
>>83669826

it's kinda funny how people act like that run wasn't constantly shit on. /co/ hated it until it ended
>>
File: batusi.gif (978 KB, 318x223) Image search: [Google]
batusi.gif
978 KB, 318x223
>>83669877
Nice bait, friend
>>
>>83669932
During promotion for the book the ads showed a costume similar to Cass (with the stitching) and no face. Cass fans got their hopes up since DC was glib as to what Batgirl it would be
>>
The nature of serial storytelling means in hindsigt the pieces look better as a whole then as single parts

Any run/period of a comic was shit on during it's time on /co/ because people here could never let a story sit.
>>
>>83669675
/co/ didn't like Damian and Timfags were going fucking insane over him being Robin.
It took until the first arc of B&R for people to not hate him all he time, and even then I remember people not liking him in Batgirl or Red Robin since he'd shit on those two a lot
Also a lot of people rolled their eyes at Bruce being dead and were more waiting until he came back instead of slobbering all over Dickbats.
>>
>>83669591
>look mom I'm lying on the internet!
>>
>>83670212
the only people that like Damian are people that never read any Batman book before that, same for Dickbats.

Either that or have the same IQ of that retarded Damifag that shitpots every thread about Batman
>>
>>83670065
To be fair, I still shit on it. It's pretty mediocre.
>>
Personally, I really like the late 80s/early 90s Batman comics (basically, the era in between Crisis and Knightfall). Stories by Alan Grant, Marv Wolfman, Peter Milligan and Doug Moench, with art by Norm Breyfogle and Jim Aparo. Lots of cool covers by a wide variety of artists, too. Plus Legends of the Dark Knight, which was really strong in its early years.

The Rucka and Brubaker era in the early 00s was good too.
>>
File: 1465458868554.png (638 KB, 1176x1712) Image search: [Google]
1465458868554.png
638 KB, 1176x1712
>2004
>Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man
>Millar's Marvel Knights: Spider-Man
>Jenkins' Spectacular Spider-Man
>Spider-Girl
>Spider-Man 2

Was there ever a better time to be a Spider-Fag?
>>
>>83669675
also Jasonfags bitter that their husbando was made ugly
>>
>>83669932

A lot of it came from Cass getting sent away and Tumblr was coming to existence around that time and by 2011 they were full stop shilling Steph and shitting on the other two so her fans were bitter about that.

The steph disappeared and both sides learned to just hate Babs together though.
>>
>>83670477

That was later on though. Dickbats and that jumping on point in general switched /co/s perception of Morrison's run.

Damian left a bad taste in this boards mouth and Morrison's Zur En Tha and drug tripping Batman stuff was a nonstop shitstorm here. B&R changed that after the second act.
>>
>>83670477
Jasonfags are probably the worst of the Batfags
>>
>>83670703
no, that would be Dickfags
at least the others know the place and Tim, Jason and Damian didn't damage Batman as much as Dick did
>>
>>83670703
False, batfamilyfags are the worst.
>>
>>83670567

Experiencing Batman and Robin as it came out with /co/ is some of the most fun i've had with an ongoing comic.
>>
>>83670759

I have to agree. I mean the fans the book bad and the "I-I always liked it!!" could be beyond annoying but seeing a new era start and watching as fans grew to like Damian and accept Dick in a role that was Nightwing was great.

Seeing the Batfamily regress was the only thing about the reboot as a concept that really stung me. They had come so far and really changed.
>>
>>83670880
So it's true that you people never read any Batman comic before?
The whole Dickbats was just a reharshal of Prodigal and anyone with a little experience would have know that it was just a shortlived gimmick.
>>
>>83670929
Morrison said he actually had plans to do it long term, like 10 years.
>>
>>83670983
Yeah, just like he said that he expected Damian to stay dead.
>>
>>83671012
Hey plans change, but it wasn't intended to be short lived.
>>
>>83670929
Prodigal didn't do shit to the makeup of the Batfamily. It was a quick one-and-done crossover. The Dickbat era lasted quite a while, long enough to actually have character growth. Your pedantic complaining completely ignores context and is without merit.
>>
>>83671037

This.

And it wasn't the only thing undone. Steph had about 10 years of character development that was washed away.

Tim and Cass finally had reestablished themselves as decent.

Barbara and Bruce were starting to take the stick out of their asses and let people in again.
>>
>>83669591
It was truly awful, but it was one of the main things that convinced me that so much of /co/ doesn't actually read comics.

>Morrison is a hack!
>Who gives a fuck about Batwoman and Question?
>Why the fuck should I care about Stephanie as Batgirl? Give me CASSSSSS!

>Snyder is a hack!
>Why the fuck should I care about Grayson?
>GIVE ME CASSSSSSSSSSS!

>KING IS A HACK! I DON'T CARE IF HIS RUN HAS STARTED!
>Why the fuck should I care about Nightwing>
>GIVE ME CASSSSSSSSS AS INVINCIBLE BATGIRL BEATING UP THE JUSTICE LEAGUE ON HER OWN!
>>
>>83671037
Because even back then they knew it was a stupid idea.
But we are talking about Morrison here, the guy that can't write a story without trying some pretentious spectacle to try to leave a mark.
Still hilarious because it's thank to Tomasi if people actually like Damian now and the best Dickbats story wasn't even written by Morrison
>>
>>83671175
Cassfags are disgusting
>>
>>83671175

What? We should sucked elegy's overrated cock. We still do.
>>
>>83669253
No, not really.

Even in other great times when we had more straight Bat-comics (Batman, tec, Gotham Knights, Legends of the Dark Knight) they weren't written so well.

And we have a new Legends of the Dark Knight, digital only that sticks to those old, non continuity straight detective stories.

>>83669512
>>no mention of Streets of Gotham
Fucking Dini out of NOWHERE redeems Hush singlehandedly.
>>
File: Ratcatcher.jpg (207 KB, 947x780) Image search: [Google]
Ratcatcher.jpg
207 KB, 947x780
>>83670363
Seconding this
>>
>>83671747
>Fucking Dini out of NOWHERE redeems Hush singlehandedly.
not quite single-handedly
I think Hush really thrived under Nguyen's art style. He was more scary doctor, less Tacticool.
>>
>>83671747
>Fucking Dini out of NOWHERE redeems Hush singlehandedly.
Not just Hush.

Face/off.
>>
File: Hush_0022.jpg (265 KB, 1280x1982) Image search: [Google]
Hush_0022.jpg
265 KB, 1280x1982
>>83671874
forgot pic
>>
>>83669512
Miller's Batgirl was great. Where is your sense of wonder?

>>83669591
Only if you focused on the negative threads. We would regularly go to autosage speculating on the Black Glove and Dr. Hurt. The only serious backlash I remember during Morrison's run came after the Clown at Midnight and that weird 3d-animated Batman Incorporated issue. That plus the Timfags crying over Damian from Batman & Son up through the first arc of B&R. Oh, and all the Cassfags mad that nobody wanted to write about their waifu.
>>
File: hush02.jpg (110 KB, 584x460) Image search: [Google]
hush02.jpg
110 KB, 584x460
I know it's all women in closets or whatever but come on, this was epic.
>>
>>83669253
It's the best the Bat Family has ever been and will ever be. There will never be as much across the board vitality, quality, and creativity across the Bat characters as the Pre-Flashpoint era. Probably the peak of the connected universe cape comic for the conceivable future.
>>
>>83670439
Again, the 1970's. Seems like cap comic storytelling peaked in the 70's and every subsequent decade has just been people getting more gimmicky or writing stories that could just as well not involve super heroes
>>
>>83670733
Dickfags can't decide which version of Dick they like, and think Judd Winick wrote him well

Jasonfags throw temper tantrums every time their husbando isn't written as "the most super-awesome fighter ever!"

Timfags have no way to actually describe why they like Tim without "well, he's the BEST Robin" or "well Ras called him detective one!"

Damianfags literally think every Batbook that doesn't have Damian is terrible, and bitched endlessly about Tom King for using Duke
>>
In high school I mostly just read OGNs and Graphic novels (Watchmen, TDKR, etc) but I first started really getting into comics freshman year of college in 2013. That Summer I torrented a bunch of bat comics and basically "started from the beginning" with Year One, hitting all the critically acclaimed moments. By the time I got up to ~2010 I had become so invested in the whole Bat Family. Moreso than most other comic characters, it felt like a real progression where the characters and their relationships really evolved.

I was absolutely dreading the New 52 reboot because I knew that all the relationships that I had come to love were going to simply be washed away. I'm still somewhat bitter about it. It felt like you were in the best season of your favorite long-running show, and then the studio decided to cancel and reboot the whole thing.

I know it's a long shot, but I've really been hoping that with Rebirth we can try to get to a point where I can feel like there's an actual continuation to what made me love comics so much.
>>
>>83672006
Roger Stern's Spider-Man is fantastic.
>>
>>83669253
Also throw in Dini's Tec and Knight and Squire. And the limitless potential and characters of the rest of Batman Inc. Goddamn, fuck DC.
>>
>>83672042
>or "well Ras called him detective one!"

And he wasn't the first one since Tomasi's Nightwing had Ra's call Dick that lol
>>
>>83670480
>they were full stop shilling Steph
The worst Steph shillers were Girl Wonder though. God, they were fucking toxic as hell.

They hated Cass, because she wasn't Girl Robin. They hated Tim, because he wasn't Girl Robin. They basically hated everything, because it wasn't Girl Robin. They Hated Steph back to life. Which wasn't a bad thing overall because she's a decent character and War Games was shit, but I still feel like they always liked her more as a symbol than a character, and the whole thing was like the forerunner of the social media bullshit we have going now.
>>
>>83672096
I'm very similar but almost even worse. I decided to randomly dive back into comics around 2009 with RIP and had my love of the medium not only reawoken but amplified ten fold with the Bat Epic and associated character runs only to have it ripped away at its pick and replaced with a cynical shit sandwich.
>>
>>83672042
>and think Judd Winick wrote him well
god don't remind me of those people.
Still baffled by them thinking the version of Dick that threatened Superman with kryptonite and was just an awful asshole the entire volume is a good one.
I think they liked earth 2 Dick too.
>>
>>83672136
And I forgot how Snyder's Dickbats so ridiculously towers over the New 52 stuff. FUCK DC YOU MONEY GRUBBING CUNTS.
>>
>>83672270
Black Mirror had the same problems as the rest of his Batman stuff but featured mostly new villains so people like it more

People wouldn't have suddenly liked a gay Joker arc with Dick as Batman. Cause Joker was easily the worst part of Black Mirror and he was only there for like five pages and was the gayest thing about it.
>>
File: Eh, I dunno.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
Eh, I dunno.gif
2 MB, 316x213
>>83672096
>mfw I read a bunch of different comics by a bunch of different publishers, not sticking to one character or title
>mfw I don't care one bit about continuity, and subsequently didn't care about the New 52
Different strokes I guess.
>>
>>83672136
>And the limitless potential and characters of the rest of Batman Inc.
That wasn't around yet in 2009
>>
>>83672392
All of those books save Batwoman were cancelled with the New 52 while having enough momentum to propel them for at least five years.
>>
File: 436042_1348244951870_500_283.jpg (84 KB, 499x283) Image search: [Google]
436042_1348244951870_500_283.jpg
84 KB, 499x283
>>83672480
Don't remind me
>>
>>83670142

There was no hope. I knew Cass was doomed the moment we got Beechen as the Vol. 2 writer. I knew it would bomb (cause it's FREAKING BEECHEN.) Still, I knew what was gonna happen so I bought all six issues buried them in a long box.

> mini bombs.

Yeah no surprise there. Nor was it that DC started to hint that they were gonna put Barbara back in the role. I was sick. Like fucking hell you're just shitting on all that character development.

Then Vol. 3 arrives and it's Stephanie. Eh, I accepted that Cass got the poochie end of the stick with #1. But it felt disheartening being a long time reader of Cass to see she only appeared in two freaking issues and never once helped her best friend or was there for her.

It even had Barbara in the "mentor" role too. The ongoing wasn't bad. But damn was it heartbreaking to be a Cass fan at this time period.
>>
>>83671230
>Because even back then they knew it was a stupid idea.

Your pedantic complaining completely ignores context and is without merit.
>>
>>83672872
>If I repeate the same thing it will look like I have a leg to stand on!

Not that I expect people like you to actually have arguments instead of hiding behind a faux moral superiority
>>
>>83672480

They even had to cancel Batwoman after that shitsow regarding Kate's wedding only to show a lesbian wedding during Batgirl's run.
>>
>>83673360
Batwoman went on for like 15 more issues after the wedding thing, anon.
>>
>>83672480
> we were just getting Cass back.
> she was gonna be in "S2" of Batgirl.
> she was gonna be more a presence again as Black Bat.
> New 52 erases her.

DAMMIT!!!
>>
>>83673520
Didio strikes again
>>
>>83673360

That wasn't cancelled but JHW III leaving. Yes, DC did not allow JHW's ending but rather JHW do changes on it he up and left leaving the next writer to pick it up.
>>
>>83673536
I hope he erases her again desu
>>
>>83673520

What S2? Was it confirmed that the BM hallucinations were future storylines?
>>
>>83673536
Destroyed Cass' character and wanted to kill NIghtwing

Why does Didio hate the Bat Family so much?
>>
>>83673970
Because they're filled with redundant characters and the fanbases are shitty
>>
>>83673970
>thought Nightwing was redundant
>wanted a Batwoman book over a Batgirl book as to not have five billion batbooks
Reminder around Infinite Crisis was filled with a bunch of experimental titles and legacy characters.

And didio wasn't wrong.
>>
>>83673999
This.
>>
>>83674033
Didio never consolidated his vision for a unified DC Universe and his start/stop methods ended up driving away most talent and creativity from the promotion.

Just because you're right doesn't mean you're correct
>>
>>83673970
>wanting DC's line up to be half Batman related

Not even joking when I say early 00s was a third batbooks. It was worse since Vertigo books took up a lot of their output, so there were even less actual DCU books and Batman and co were hogging them all. Superman hogging another third, and everybody else having the other third.
I can see why he'd want to cull the Batfamily. Notice how even /co/ has taken to the opinion that there's too many batfamily members in general and not enough differentiation. Now imagine more of them having solos, said solos being pretty similar, and there being less DCYou type stuff and no HB stuff.
>>
>>83669253
DC's older tentpoles and the works they inspired broadly from 1996 to 2009 are so fucking good that people are still willing to give them a serious chance six years after they just resigned themselves to being shit.
>>
>>83671916

To be honest Damian was a terrible character during Batman and Son. He deserved the hate back then.
>>
>>83673999

That was then, they have trimmed them no..

>Batman
>Batgirl
>Batwing
>Batwoman
>Robin
>Red Robin
>Nightwing
>Talon
>Red Hood
>Bluebird
>Orphan
>Spoiler
>Catwoman
>Noob Robins (Black Robin, Redneck Robin, Asian Robin, Emo Robin)

Yeah, they do have too many characters.
>>
>>83675459
Dan learned his lesson to not mess with the batfamily and now Batman is covered in tumors
>>
>>83674409
Literally one issue has him being terrible
>>
>>83675459
>Talon
>Bluebird
>Still counting them
>>
>>83675669
Talon was a stupid spin-off, even that one Owl chick on Birds of Prey. Best guess is that they were banking on the Court of Owls to be big but it just flatlined.
>>
>>83675459
>forgetting Azrael

>>83675669
Talon is confirmed for Nightwing
>>
>>83671918
What's this from?
>>
>>83675765
If he doesn't show up in Nightwing and be gay with him, he's finished.
>>
>>83675833
Heart of Hush. Read it now.
>>
>>83675547

He was terrible the entire arc, anon.
>>
>>83675876
He was supposed to be terrible; I don't know why people don't get that. He was presented as a burden upon the other characters and none of the characters liked him; it's never presented any other way.
>>
>>83675796

>Azrael
There's two of them right now, right?
>>
>>83676008
No it's just JPV
>>
>>83672263
If you look at Winick's Nightwing separate from the Bat-Family Nightwing appearances published in that era, it makes sense. Early Outsiders, Dick was coming off of Donna's death. Yeah, he was cold and maybe an asshole to Roy, but his life was falling apart for most of that time.

During that time period, Dick had his circus burned down around him, his friends murdered, his building blown up, Babs left him, he joined the mob, and then he comes back only to have his home city get bombed to hell. Two hundred thousand people dead. Scorched Earth. If you look at that series as Dick trying to cope with loss through disassociation and extreme Batdickery it all feels more natural.
>>
>>83675796
>Talon is confirmed for Nightwing
Yeah but at this point counting him as a batfamily member would be like counting the absolute most minor of side characters in a Wally West book as part of the Flash family.
>>
>>83670480
Cass/Steph should just have their own team book going on adventures with other girl heroes around the world
>>
>>83671330
They are patricians of the highest degree
>>
Other then stuff like legends of the dark knight, is there anything worth reading in the time span between Knightfall and no man's land? I know that Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman started here I'll probably check out those for 20 issues or more if they're good, but I kind of want to skip forward to the early 2000s.
>>
>>83678949
>Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman
These are all ok. Robin and Nightwing were both helmed by Dixon, who some people really like but I've (and I feel most of /co/) found consistently "pretty good."

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory both came out during this time period, but I'm going to assume you've read those as they "take place" much earlier.

Other than that, there wasn't too much notable in that late 90s period.

>I kind of want to skip forward to the early 2000s.

If this means you're skipping NML, I *really* recommend you don't. It's probably the best example of a "Bat Family" event that really makes everything feel like a piece of a bigger whole.
>>
>>83679065
I should add that the early 2000s is when the extended Bat Universe really starts coming into its own. The Batman books themselves weren't that phenomenal, but Puckett's Batgirl, and ESPECIALLY Brubaker's Gotham Central were both great.
>>
>>83679065
I want to read it, but at the same time I'm not really sure I'm up for a huge story of that size.
I tried to read it back before I was into DC as much as I am now, and I remember getting bored becuase of a long scarecrow church cult arc that felt like filler and putting it down.

And yeah, I've read long Halloween, it was actually the first DC story I read that was longer then 2 or 3 issues.
>>
>>83679142
Did you start with Cataclysm/Road to No Man's Land? I know the last thing you want to hear is that the reading is even longer, but I feel those arcs really help set the stage and get you invested.
>>
>>83675948

I'm not saying otherwise. I just pointed out the obvious. Morrison was even going to kill him off.
>>
okay, what's the reading order for Morribats?
>>
>>83670929
>>83671230

>The whole Dickbats was just a reharshal of Prodigal and anyone with a little experience would have know that it was just a shortlived gimmick.
>Because even back then they knew it was a stupid idea.
>But we are talking about Morrison here, the guy that can't write a story without trying some pretentious spectacle to try to leave a mark.

This is a terrible line of reasoning.

By your logic, we should just disregard Dark Knight Returns because David E. Reed wrote an "older Batman" story in Batman #300 and Paul Levitz wrote the final case of the Earth-2 Batman in Adventure Comics.
>>
>>83681084
it's the one Morrison fags use to shit on Snyder all the time

"he just rehashed previous ideas!"
>>
>>83681131
I thought it was dumb there, too. Snyder still did his own thing.
>>
Even if Morrison came back to the title, I don't think he'd be able to top the Bat Epic. It was so tightly written and everything had a pay off.

Will we ever see the like again /b/ros?
>>
>>83681705
Probably. But from which writer, I don't know.
>>
>>83669253
Every criminals in morison run wear colorful costumes and used some gimmick, even the ones who's not from gotham
>>
>>83673609

Yep. It was in an interview right after the comic ended. Miller said the Black Mercy stuff with the various adventures was what he had planned for "S2" of the comic.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.