[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mutant ripoffs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
Why are there so many ripoffs of x-men and mutants as a concept? I can name at least 10
>>
>>83659606
>I can name at least 10
Do it.
>>
>>83659606
Because it's a concept you can do a lot with.

And I would be very surprised if the x-men were the first to do it.
>>
The inhumans count as a "mutants concept" ripoff?
>>
File: opm okay.gif (2 MB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
opm okay.gif
2 MB, 500x300
>>83659606
>collection of normal people that get powers

Yeah, what a unique idea.
>>
>>83659606
>Why are there so many ripoffs of x-men and mutants as a concept?

Because is the easiest way to write a super-hero story without having to introduce every character and explain the origin of his powers.

In fact, the X-men concept was created exactly for this purpose, so marvel could introduce characters without losing time with pointless origin explanations and jumping directly to the main plot
>>
>>83659606
x-men were a ripoff of doom patrol
>>
>>83659615
Every single power rangers series. Or is the ripoff going in the other direction?

'Regular people getting superpowers" is such a disgustingly broad concept that probobly 1/2 of all fictions have it.

This question is stupid.
>>
>>83659811
>Every single power rangers series.

Name one Power Rangers series where they get super-powers.

They just get fancy suits and weapons
>>
>>83659862
>They just get fancy suits and weapons

Batman
Ironman
>>
I can think of a few.

>Heroes
>Mutant X
>Push
>Dark Angel

I'm sure there's more.
>>
My Hero Academia is a pretty good one.
>>
>>83659615
>Heroes
>Inhumans
> the tomorrow people
>Alphas
>Infamous
>Harry potter (the basis of them living in modern society with young ones going to a school)
>push (the movie)
>Jumper
>benders
>DC Metahumans (like rose wilson and Jericho)
They even borrow the concept of baseliners hating powered people
>>
>>83659862
>Name one Power Rangers series where they get super-powers.
Power Rangers the movie
they get the power of ninjetti
>>
>>83660132

>Jumper

One of the only times I got triggered by an adaptation's changes to a work. What they did to the source material was fucking criminal.
>>
>>83659777
Good thing that Doom Patrol didn't have anything close to the super-powered mutant concept going for it. Otherwise your post would be relevant to the thread and not just bad DCasual bait.
>>
>>83659862
Dino Thunder. What did I win?
>>
>>83659862
Operation overdrive
Dinothunder
Mystic force, but thats just magic
Some members of time force and ransik
>>
>>83660070
>Mutant X

Fun Fact: This was made by Marvel as a fuck you to Fox for being faggots with their X-Men film/television rights.
>>
>>83660184
Hollywood is a shit wreck that's why
>>
>>83659615
Harry Potter
Infamous 2
Heroes
Alphas
Misfits
Being Human
Cyberforce
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Percy Jackson
The Mortal Instruments

As a kid I read a lot of young adult fiction and a lot of it was basically X-Men. I can't think of all the titles, but there is way more than this i.e. kid finds out they are apart if a group of superpowered mutants/wizards/peculiars/alphas/shadowhunter/monster and is transported to the organization where they train them. They always have a mentor character, are either hated by humans or kept hidden from humans, and more often than not there is a character who is apart of the evil version of the group who thinks they should rule over humans. so really its all a rip-off of Doom Patrol
>>
>>83660132
Harry Potter is a stretch, but I'll give you the other ones.
>>
>>83659698
>inhumans
>created by stan lee and jack kirby

>x-men
>created by stan lee and jack kirby

Definitely not a rip off. The concepts aren't even similar.
>>
>>83660242

I remember it being pretty good at the time, but I've never gone back to see if it holds up.

Wasn't Howard Chaykin one of the main writers for the first couple seasons?

>>83660249

I'm just not normally somebody who gets mad about changes for an adaptation, it's the prerogative of the artist to do what they want to it.

But Jumper got me. I guess we all have our own personal lines in the sand.
>>
>>83660307
Jack Kirby ripped off his own ideas all the time.
>>
>>83659698
Only after Fox didnt give up the movie rights
>>
>>83659606
Poor Chuck.

I just want him to have a good career and a nice life after Chuck finished, you know? He seems like such a nice guy, it's a shame to see him waste himself in junk like this.
>>
>>83660376

He's terrible in it too.

Heroes Reborn is actually one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life. /co/ can complain about how bad Arrow has gotten all they want, it's The Sopranos compared to Reborn.
>>
>>83660309
Never watched it myself. Just remember seeing commercials for it and thinking "what a fucking x-ment ripoff". Finding out that Marvel was behind it years later was a real mindfuck for me though,
>Howard Chaykin
Yup.

>>83660334
But the premise isn't even similar. One's about a society of people who were given powers by an environmental factor. One's about a minority of people born with powers trying to fit in with and help normal society.
>>
>>83660334
Heh all big bads belong to Jack King Kirby
>>
>>83659641
I mean gerally Xmen are a rip off of Doom Patrol, but i don't think they got the mutant part from them... As i hear it Stan Lee was just sick of having to come up with origin stories and mutations was in at the time due to radiation fears.
>>
>>83660277
I see where you're getting at since the concept of humans being born with magic is an ages old trole, but there are strangely fa.iliar concepts on both.
> school only for mutants/wizards
> school is run by a powerful yet benevolent old man
> old man is enemies with a fellow powerful member of his race
> powerful terrorist hates humans
> humans don't like mutants/wizards
>>
>>83660480
>humans don't like wizards
They don't even know wizards exist
>>
>>83659606
Laziness (mutants were created because Lee didn't want to make up origins for an entire team)
Shared origin eases the writing of the story's main arc
The concept of normal people becoming extraordinary and not knowing what to do with it isn't new

>>83660334
Inhumans didn't have much to do with mutants until Marvel got pissy about movie rights to the X-men and tried to cram them into the mold.
>>
>>83660480
>Mutant X
If you believe that shit was invented by the xmen you are beyond salvation, stop watching cartoon and open a book
>>
>>83660400
This is so true.

Is this now a Heroes Reborn sucks thread? 'cause that show just fucking sucked ass.

It kinda showed potential with the two flashback episodes...barely. But everything else is just pretentious bullshit.

Nobody was fucking sumpathetic. Especially not the two lead kids. I wanted Peter Pan to choke on a fucking dick.
>>
>>83660132

But infamous isn't like mutants, everyone is affected by an event that kills some and gives others powers. Is more like the standard "caught in a chemical explosion" and got powers origin.

And harry potter is such a stretch.
>>
>>83660502

They don't know they exist because after witch hunts wizards went underground.

But yeah that was inspired by x men, totally it was.
>>
>>83660507

>Laziness (mutants were created because Lee didn't want to make up origins for an entire team)
Shared origin eases the writing of the story's main arc

You say that like "science experiment gone wrong" isn't lazy.
>>
>>83660549
Play infamous second son. More characters develop powers because of the events of infamous 2. Hell, just like x-men you have the prejudice shit going on.
>>83660588
this.>>83660502 wizards intentionally hide themselves from muffled
>>83660541
Wrong anon. I wasn't the one who mentioned mutant x.
>>
>>83660549
Inhumans then, now that the Terrigen Cloud is out in the world.
>>
>>83660625
It's still less so than "i turned 13 and suddenly my eyes were punches from the punch dimension".

>>83660685
Honestly, reading the first issue of Ms Marvel back when it came out seemed EXACTLY like Static's own origin, but with more hallucinations. It was weird.
>>
>>83660649

>Play infamous second son. More characters develop powers because of the events of infamous 2. Hell, just like x-men you have the prejudice shit going on.

They're hated because of propaganda generated to justify the capture of them to use them as super soldiers / experiments and also because a human atom bomb created them, how is that like x men?
>>
>>83660722
So. The hate for mutants was generated by a sentient bacterium. On top of that there are mutants like magneto that caused collateral damage as well.
>>
>>83660549
I thought that when looking at the list too in first but when you think about it they were always there. The event just activated them but conduits as far as we know are a natural event. Second son further proves thar by having their numbers dwindle but still pop up (Cole killed all the surface weeds but not the roots is a way of looking at it) and before they even get powers theyre super durable like that time zeke mentioned Cole being hit by a truck and perfectly fine within like 2 days. So like inhumans there is a trigger but them existing is a ntaural occurence.
>>
>>83659862
You shouldnt choose the show with literally over a dozen seasons/groups for your defence. It is the easiest way to get proven wrong because there will always be at least one exception that fucks you.
>>
>>83660543
My gut told me not watch. Look like that was the best decision.

Red pill me. What was bad about it?
>>
>>83659862
SPD. Some of the Rangers had random powers, like walking through walls.
>>
>>83660543
I tried to care but couldnt. If I cared for any it would be Matt Parkman but only because they put his character through 4 seasons if bullshit and then just say "yeaaaah he went villian". I read up a little more on the show abd the creator always writes some of the dumbass stuff like "this isnt heroes season 5 it is season 10" because time has passed and all Im thinking is "that is called a time skip, normal people do them all the time without acting like they skipped several seasons"
>>
>>83661305

Guy he was responding to, literally everything.

>Narrative is a mess, plot introduces entire major storylines that never go anywhere or are dropped for no reason. And the entire story hinges around garbage time travel mechanics.

>Main villain is garbage, all she does is speak in riddles that o nothing but hide crucial plot elements from the viewer even when they would make no sense in the context of the conversations she would be having.

>HRG goes from a badass operator to your generic Tim Kring protag who wanders around asking questions instead of actively participating in the plot.

>Literally the worst CGI I've seen on a TV show in years. It's sub-Babylon 5 at times.

>Chuck's storyline is embarrassing. They so clearly wanted him to be the new version of Sylar but it fails on literally every level

>In fact, all the new characters are shit except for Mexican Batman, who's stuck in an awful storyline shunted of from everyone else for no reason

I can't think of anything I liked about it except for Matt Parkman becoming a gigantic sarcastic asshole.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.