[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Claremont get so praised for the diversity of X-Men
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: OcobNfYzB6s.jpg (44 KB, 320x462) Image search: [Google]
OcobNfYzB6s.jpg
44 KB, 320x462
Why does Claremont get so praised for the diversity of X-Men when for nearly his entire run the only nonwhite member of the team was storm and every other member was white and straight?

Sunfire leaves early, warpath does early in Claremont's run, Dani and Bobby are in a side book, Forge doesn't join the team until after Jubilee, and Gateway is basically a nonperson.

Literally the next time a black person shows up as a main character it is synch whose entire personality is that he is a nigger and the least interesting member of Gen X
>>
>>83659164
1. Diversity means more than race, it also means nationality and culture
2. He created New Mutants which was even more multi-ethnic than Politically Correct Superfriends
3. When people say "diversity" they also mean women in roles traditionally filled by men

Diversity is kind of a meaningless term now anyway.
>>
>>83659305
The new mutants aren't really diverse. Dani and Bobby are the only nonwhite Humans. Warlock is an alien, and then the other 6, Sam and Doug are white Americans, Rayne (or however you spell it) and illyana are white Europeans, Amara is functionally European and I legitimately forgot Karma existed because she isn't in the book much
>>
>>83659383
a vietnamese, a brazilian with african ancestry, a native American, a white guy, and a scottish girl.
that is how the New Mutants started.

that is pretty diverse for an American book. The X-Men were much more international than the Avengers.

The main X-Men book had an African, a German, a Russian and a Canadian.
>>
>>83659164
sauce
>>
>>83659164
uh, Bishop?
>>
File: Baby It's Cold Outside.jpg (249 KB, 637x475) Image search: [Google]
Baby It's Cold Outside.jpg
249 KB, 637x475
>>83659448
Diversity goes through weird redefintions.

Like in the '40s Mexicans were pretty much considered white (which many of them are) so Ricardo Montalban singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" with Esther Williams got 0 diversity points.

Now it gets points for diversity but the song is considered rape culture.
>>
>>83659483
Bishop was designed by Jim Lee, also he is an abo
>>
>>83659164
>Claremont X-men isn't diverse enough
Get snikt ya cuck
>>
>>83659458
Underage pls
>>
>>83659164
That's the problem with modern day leftists. You think the only diversity that matters is skin color.
>>
>>83659576
No, I am happy it isn't diverse, just as I am happy reading giant sized xmen how the entire team throws around ethnic slurs. Like Scott calls proudstar geronimo and proudstar refers to sunfire as >the jap
>>
>>83659555
>Like in the '40s Mexicans were pretty much considered white

kek they were NEVER considered white, Ricardo Montalban was born to 2 EUROPEANS.

Mexicans were not considered white prior the Spanish-American war, it was even worst after that
>>
>>83659620
>>83659555
Depends on how mezo your shit is. I've never met a Latina who didn't try to convince me she was a white European. Hell I once had a professor who was like half native Argentinian who claimed he was German and Scottish
>>
>>83659608
Wait I don't remember Scott being /Pol/tard? Was he really so based back then?
>>
>>83659555
>Like in the '40s Mexicans were pretty much considered white

Not really. Not by white Americans, at least. Mexicans themselves have their own definition of whiteness (as in, looking like a pure Spaniard rather than having African or Indian blood), but Mexicans were pretty well excluded from being seen as "white" in the States, which is why their own civil rights movement started in the days after WW2 ended. Their exclusion was never as formalized as the exclusion of blacks, never written down in law, but it was there nonetheless. For instance, Dr. Hector P. Garcia, a physician who later became a civil rights leader and about as "white" a Mexican as they came, from a well to do and well educated family, was sent into the infantry in WW2 because the War Department essentially refused to recognize that a Mexican could be a medical doctor (the "mistake" was eventually corrected, after numerous appeals, but he only achieved the usual starting rank of an Army doctor, major, at the end of his service).
>>
File: goofyallnew8.jpg (110 KB, 620x558) Image search: [Google]
goofyallnew8.jpg
110 KB, 620x558
>>83659685
>>
>>83659164
>Cyclops
American
>Phoenix
American Woman
>Nightcrawler
German whose ugly
>Wolverine
Canadian whose ugly
>Storm
Eygyptian/Kenyan Woman
>Banshee
Irish arguably ugly
>Shadowcat
Jewish Adolescent
>Moria MacTaggert
Scottish Woman
>Prof. X
Handicapped Elderly

Diverse does not just mean varying shades of brown retard.
>>
>>83659895
To be fair, I wouldn't see a doctor who wasn't a man and wasn't white, jewish, or asian. As you know none of them got by on affirmative action
>>
>>83659672
That not the point, that anon is just wrong, mexico is one of the least european countries in Latinamerica, and as far as Americans were concerned in the 40's mexicans were not white. Hell, even spaniards were not considered white for most of the country's history since they were catholic. Back on the day even natives were considered black or white depending on the state census, it wasnt that people saw them as any of those races it's just that racial OFFICIAL racial classification was terriuble since they didnt had the need to add any extreme minority group.
>>
>>83659920
I never got why Jap was derogatory. It's short for Japanese.
>>
>>83659926
Storm was born in Harlem you fucking mong
>>
>starts a political thread on /co/
>will say "GO BACK TO /pol/" if someone posts something they disagree with

every
fucking
day
>>
>>83659977
With the exception of Scott being based you are the first person to bring up /pol/
>>
>>83659977
/co/ is a hugbox for faggots
>>
>>83659967
Most derogatory terms are just abbreviations. Nigger, abo, spic etc. It's about the manner in which they're used
>>
>>83660114
Nigger means black. Nothing more.
>>
>Kitty Pryde
Jew
>Wolverine
Canadian
>Beast
Blue Meanie
>Banshee
Irish
>Nightcrawler
German
>Sunfire
Japanese
>>
>>83659685
>Wait I don't remember Scott being /Pol/tard? Was he really so based back then?

It was a far different time and in a way more tolerant today.
I grew up in a pretty ethnically diverse neighborhood and we would call each other what would be called "slurs" all the time and no one got butthurt.
The black kids (we called them the chocolate drops) called the Irish kids "potato famine mother fuckers" which we all thought was hysterical.
>>
>>83660097
So is /pol/
>>
>>83659971
She was moved to Africa when she was a toddler. She was revered as a Queen of Thieves and a Goddess in Africa. Her mom was a tribal princess from Kenya. She was married to the king of Wakanda. Shes more African than American.
>>
>>83660349
>She was married to the king of Wakanda
Don't remind me, I'm still pissed they made her a coal burner
>>
>>83660215
>Beast
>Blue Meanie

I think you mean furry.
>>
>>83660215
>beast and sunfire
>Claremont
>>
>>83659926
>nightcrawler
>ugly
Nah m8
>>
>>83660757

Is the solo Nightcrawler series from Marvel Now! any good? Saw about 10 issues in the dollar bin the other day.
>>
>>83659164
>warpath does early in Claremont's run
Thunderbird. Warpath is his brother.

Also what is it with that OP pic? Stop using the same dumb pic. I almost overlooked this thread because the last one was about something different.
>>
>>83659164
a black guy (Bishop) doesn't join the team until Claremont leaves.
>>
>>83659954
You do understand that affirmative action gets someone into, not through, college?
>>
Please stop posting this shit band. I'm still trying to forget how everyone had a boner for them in early 00s.
>>
>>83659164

Lolwut. Sunspot is Black and from Brazil.
>>
>>83660414
How the fuck can she be a coal burner if she's black?
>>
>>83661313
>tatu
>shitty
>>
>>83661559
He was a new mutant not an xmen

>>83661565
By fucking a nigger, how else?
>>
>>83661595
You're a special kind of retard, anon.
>>
>>83659383
Read his post again. Diversity in nationality and culture.

Sam was a southern hick from alabam.

Rahne was a super-religious catholic from scotland.

Colossus and Magik are russians raised under communism. Wolverine is a rural western canadian. Gambit comes from New Orleans.
Compare this to:

Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey

Four american east coast white suburban WASPs from new york state.
>>
>>83659164
I liked their songs beyond the fap bait.

I mean I used to fap to them a lot but I also legit liked some of the songs.

They introduce me to Morrisey
>>
>>83660757
>Blueberry Popsicle
>>
>>83661595
>By fucking a nigger, how else?
that's not how this works
that's not how any of this works.
>>
>>83662282
>she fucked a nigger
>not a nigger fucker

What?
>>
>>83661664

Sam's from Appalachian Kentucky, big part of his character
>>
>>83661250
>You do understand that affirmative action gets someone into, not through, college?

Check grade requirements to get into medical schools based on race.

some races can get into medical school with a 2.0 average
>>
>Claremont is not diverse
>>
>>83659895
Similarly to this, currently in India, there's a huge thing of "darkness". Ie, the darker skinned you are in India, the lesser you are.
>>
Jesus, American concepts of diversity are shallow...
>>
>>83663151
This is a country where people complain baseball isn't diverse enough and got mad at he NBA bucks for only being 60% black
>>
>>83659164
You most likely can't get how diverse Claremont at the time. Diversity doesn't just mean race or skin color. What about religion, nationality, gender or ethnicity? It also means, allowing the characters to be more than just stereotypes. Claremont mixed these pretty well.

Besides being female, african, and beliving in tribal gods, Storm was pretty much her own character. It helped define her, but nothing of it was the center of her, she had her own voice/character/and so on.

Collossus was more than just the stereotype of "the ruskie" at this time, yet he was distinguishable russian.

Wolverine, well he has become a clishe on his own, since then, so it's even harder to see, how he was a diverse distinguishable character.
Back in the day he was very pretty diverse.

most likely just can't
>>
>>83661714
"All the things she says" is still a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jC5WAJzp34
>>
>>83659164
Because back then diversity didnt mean "add more black characters"
>>
>>83663325
Ultimates is super diverse
>>
>>83659920

Pretty sure Scott was just fucking sick of being called "One-Eye" by the Injun.
>>
>>83660259
>called the Irish kids "potato famine mother fuckers"

How are you posting here from way back in the 1860s?
>>
>>83662065
>double stick
>>
>>83659383
Illyana isn't european you shitlord
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.