[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questionable /Co/ntent General #837
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: 3240.png (157 KB, 800x1160) Image search: [Google]
3240.png
157 KB, 800x1160
"Leave it to Jeff Jacks to make a post singularity society completely boring" edition
>>
>>83649304

God FUCKING damnit, Jeff. Stop trying to force shit that is totally irrelevant within the context of your fucking setting.

You have conscious, intelligent AI already existing, with much more powerful AI already confirmed to exist above them in labs and shit. An intelligent, but unconscious, AI that acts without morality or anything other than instinctual self advancement is no longer a threat in the world of QC. That sort of AI is difficult to detect without massive data crunching power and information systems awareness, which your already introduced benign AI have in spades. And an unconscious AI would be childs play for a 'self aware' AI to deal with because the very thing you are trying to use to make it sound scary (single minded amorality) means that it is incredibly easy to predict because it runs on pure logic and stimulas response and it is fundamentally incapable of defending itself against other AI because it cannot recognize an attack against itself (because it does not recognize itself).

Fucking Pintsize could handle an unconscious AI once it was detected simply by observing its actions for a minute or two and then feeding it a poison pill code.
>>
File: 3235.jpg (157 KB, 800x785) Image search: [Google]
3235.jpg
157 KB, 800x785
>>83649304
Just stick to the fart jokes, Jeph
>>
The problem with this current line of discussion is the comic's own past.

Pintsize, Winslow, and Momo existed as intelligent, but with out consciousness, entities. In fact they had the little Perscoms meeting in coffee shops and in dedicated message boards.

the abstract thinking needed to run a simulation of an entire world, would require some consciousness.
>>
>>83649573
>Thinking Jeph is smart
>Reading QC
>>
>>83649304
If she didn't want to learn about AIs and shit, she shouldn't have asked.
>>
File: ArcUnited.jpg (107 KB, 500x748) Image search: [Google]
ArcUnited.jpg
107 KB, 500x748
>>83649304
Man and Machine must work together in these future times.
>>
>>83651572
fucking Omnic lovers
>>
>>83649304
Its the post-singularity cyber-times, and people are still talking about Friends and coffee.
>>
File: LaserEyes.jpg (32 KB, 651x465) Image search: [Google]
LaserEyes.jpg
32 KB, 651x465
>>83651608
>>83651572

In these Future, one may have to become a futuristic cyber-hybrid to survive and compete
>>
File: 1465271805780.jpg (46 KB, 381x620) Image search: [Google]
1465271805780.jpg
46 KB, 381x620
>>83649304
>people here read EVERY UPLOAD and new content of this webcomic.

>I-I don't like it! I'm not the public! I swear I just reading every update and discuss it here with other people.

I'm starting to think that you niggas are tsundere for this shit.

If you didn't really liked anything about it, you wouldn't have so long discussions about characterization and other aspects, it just look like a poorly disguised general no different from any other webcomic on this board now.

You guys are his avid readers, that can even don't like it, but can't stop FORCING yourselves to have weekly discussions about however he wrotte.

Looking back this is sad as fuck.
>>
File: 167.jpg (32 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
167.jpg
32 KB, 300x100
>>83649304

In a good comic, this would be a plot hook.

Here, it's just pseudointellectual babble.

>>83652174
pic related.
>>
>>83652285
In a good comic, there would be a plot.
>>
>>83652174
>If you didn't really liked anything about it, you wouldn't have so long discussions about characterization and other aspects
Go read a BvS thread, then shut the fuck about everything forever. People can discuss why things are bad.
>>
>>83652174
Honestly, I read this more out of habit than anything. I started in high school when I was home sick and I had caught up to it in about half a day. I didn't really laugh at it much, I just assumed it was written for adults and that the jokes I didn't laugh at were just a little too "mature" for me to get. As time went on though, I realized that they were just dumb jokes.
>>
Motherfucker gave us table scraps of a new delicious brown waifu, then delved right into a solid week of Clinton-objectification and his tween-level understanding of AI and singularity consequences.

God fucking dammit
>>
>>83650385
This was probably the conclusion of Brown's involvement in the comic.
>>
>>83649304
Braniac?
>>
>>83652626

Knowing Jephs track record with anyone not white skinned, yep.

Fucker may preach equality, but only if it means it doesn't conflict with his warped mind.
>>
File: don't fist android girls.png (32 KB, 802x618) Image search: [Google]
don't fist android girls.png
32 KB, 802x618
>>83651572

Careful Now.
>>
>>83649304
Consciousness in beings can not be proven or disproven, thus you never know if you are interacting with a "philosophical zombie" or not. There could be humans that are philosophical zombies for all we know!
The only reason we can be so fairly certain that humans have consciousness is because we all are humans and can feel "it".
The "philosophical zombie" is yet another completely worthless philosophical idea that has zero practical impact.
>>
>>83649304
>bogeyman
Ew.
>>
>>83652174
This.

Fuck these shitty generals for a shitty comic.
>>
>>83649304
>Intelligent AI without consciousness
So like, a regular AI pre-singularity ? These didn't have consciousness
>>
File: ANGER.jpg (41 KB, 245x204) Image search: [Google]
ANGER.jpg
41 KB, 245x204
>>83652174
>>83656905
>>
>>83649573
The issue is this is completely meaningless and Jeff has been going on about it for 2 days. In a competent writer's story, this would be a setup for an arc involving grey goo or something. But that isn't going to happen. This is just exposition for expositions sake. It isn't even world building, a setting requires the characters interact with it. The last 2 pages have been a complete waste of time, done nothing to advance any of the ongoing plots in the comic, and the art has just been giant word bubbles and two characters. These may be the worst comics Jeff has ever done, from a story perspective.
>>
>lol we build the androids but we dont understand how they suddenly become conscious :^)
such a fucking copout
>>
File: 1458074449384.png (9 KB, 200x190) Image search: [Google]
1458074449384.png
9 KB, 200x190
>>83649304
Another possible explanation for why our universe seems so indifferent to anything and everything could be that it just exists naturally without being run by any sort of higher intelligence. However, seeing as this is post-2010 4chan, I dare not point that out lest people call me a hat...

Woops!
>>
Jeph is taking pretty much all of this word-for-word from Neil Degrasse Tyson's last Isaac Asimov foundation youtube debate.
>>
>>83658274
I think he copied this almost word for word from the Elon Musk interview about a week ago in which a coked-up Musk rants about "simulated realities" and "A.I. takeover" to an interviewer. Reddit's sucked his mental cock for blabbering about incoherent and irrelevant nonsense because the great electric car mars rocket man can do no wrong.

Jeff's a plagiarizing hack either way.
>>
>>83657457
Don't you know that consciousness, morality and ensoulment are all interchangeable?
>>
>>83649304

OH SHIT I LEARNT THIS IN HIGHSCHOOL PHILOSOPHY
>>
>>83658250
shhh, there is teleology, t-there is. Don't tell people there is not a course only a river.
>>
>>83659846
you know how the Matrix guys are trannies? It must run in the genre because here comes Jephina
>>
That old time simulation theory
>>
>>83658985
>consciousness, morality and ensoulment are all interchangeable
Come on, even Hacks is aware that morality can only be a part of consciousness, not an equivalent
>>
>>83660628
What if Morality can be shown to be a direct result of evolution? The most moral thing is the thing that benefits the most members of my species, (Don't kill members of my species, don't steal from members of my species, don't cause disturbances in the tribe (covet thy neighbors wife), etc)

Then Morality is a direct result of biology, and being conscious is not a requirement for being moral.
>>
>>83649304
Wait... weren't there a few comic specifically about how the Singularity happened and there's a godlike SuperAI around now, but it's friendly? So to the debate in this one, the anwer is YES?
I hate when people just drop established things like a sack of potatoes. Or he just forgot. Yeah, that's probalby it.
>>
>>83649304
This is so incredibly retarded
>>
>>83657982
Grey goo?
>>
>>83661051
Nanomachines, son.
>>
>>83661051
The (admittedly shit) name for an apocalypse scenario. Self-replicating microbots designed to eat waste suddenly start registering everything as waste and devour the world.
>>
>>83660802
Maybe he's trying to point out that all his characters, including the actual robots, are prejudiced luddites?
Maybe this robot talking about the robot uprising is meant to be taken like a real person rambling about how the end times are upon us, as foretold in the Bible, and barcodes are the mark of the Beast.

Or, to take it a step further, their alien, inhuman AI god might already be here, watching them with a curious eye. The community the characters live in really is a simulation, or a social experiment, and the fear of AI is a deliberate trait instilled by the transhumans running the place. No, not Claire. The other kind of transhumans. It's a reservation of baseline human minds, kept in social stasis to observe their behaviour, and to retain a piece of history. They could leave, or get whatever information they wish from the outside, but through careful social manipulation most inhabitants are kept from ever wanting to. The fear of progress and change are the invisible cage keeping the people where they were placed.
>>
>>83660802
>expecting any continuity that doesn't involve untactful short-term relationship drama
Which comic have you been reading?
>>
>>83661123

It's fairly stupid because actual nanomachines could easily be foiled by a strong wind.
>>
>>83661786
or being raped
>>
>>83660714
Except that only happens if you study humans so the "only my species" argument is invalid as you're only studying one species
Morality is not shown in other species, it's a human concept and would only applies to beings which are conscious (Nature is not moral)
>>
>>83649573
People always complain he doesn't do enough of this shit. Not saying it's great or anything but at least it's not she-loves-me-she-loves-me-not at the pace of an iceberg.
>>
>>83652174
Many of us here are tsundere for it for sure. I can't stop reading it so I shit on it while doing so.
>>
File: ag.png (158 KB, 800x1120) Image search: [Google]
ag.png
158 KB, 800x1120
meanwhile, in Alice Groove...
>>
The fleshed-out characters in this comic all have strict defining behaviors. Those characters repeat their respective behavior a couple hundred times until you expect literally nothing else from them. As a surprise twist, the character suddenly doesn't behave the way they otherwise would, shocking everyone else, and the character may or may not stick with their new behavior permanently.

It's pretty sad to call this character development. How much are people paying him again?
>>
>>83649304
>That comic
Well Jeph just read Blindsight
>>
>>83649304
Calling it now, but Jeph will forget about this and never touch it again, like so many other "plot points".
>>
File: 1454616236961.jpg (76 KB, 400x524) Image search: [Google]
1454616236961.jpg
76 KB, 400x524
>>83669528
Jeph likes introducing new things, but not actually developing them, as that takes too much work. How many characters and plotlines appeared, only to fade to oblivion?
>>
>>83667651
So basically the Nightwalker eating the girl's nanomachines was the ONLY THING that ever really happened in the comic, right?
>>
>>83669822
that and the retarded gun fight between Alice and Not Alice
>>
>>83669822
To be fair, it's only been around for two years (I think) and updates only twice a week, and it's done significantly more than QC 's 13 year run,(Granted, being better than QC is not hard to do.)
>>
Just a post to let you know that I'm always watching.

Now donch'all do anything I woulnd't, y'hear
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.