[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Vampirella comics any good or is it just fan service for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: vampirella-talisa-soto.jpg (326 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
vampirella-talisa-soto.jpg
326 KB, 800x480
Are Vampirella comics any good or is it just fan service for horny comic readers? I have a huge fetish for long nails with nail polish so i don't really mind the latter
>>
>>83642767
Vampirella is Great fanservice for horny comic readers. just pick up anything not printed by Dynamite and you'll have a morbid, fun, schlocky book.
>>
>>83643037
Why? Is Dynamite that bad?
>>
>>83643074
yes
>>
The original books are just EC style horror comics. Vampirella was really just the mascot. I'm not sure if any actual comics about the character hold up but if you like Warren horror comics the old mag had plenty of great cartoonists. Russ Heath, Richard Corben, all those Filipino dudes.
>>
>>83643099
What are the reasons
>>
File: vampirella.png (445 KB, 1280x1042) Image search: [Google]
vampirella.png
445 KB, 1280x1042
>>83642767
The original comics were a solid horror anthology.

The 90s revival was focused on Vampirella more heavily and was occasionally pretty awesome. Pretty much anything published by Harris is worth looking into. The stories by Kurt Busiek, Warren Ellis, and James Robinson are the best. Some of her crossovers are also fun.
>>
>>83643176
0/10 writing or worse, shit art, feminism, and they cover her up.
>>
File: tumblr_lzho4ibSdC1qb4j6qo1_1280.jpg (158 KB, 600x917) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzho4ibSdC1qb4j6qo1_1280.jpg
158 KB, 600x917
>>83643142
>The original books are just EC style horror comics. Vampirella was really just the mascot.

She was featured in one (or on rare occasions two) short stories per issue. Reasonably solid book.

>>83643203
Also, read the Visionaries collection. Has short stories by Bruce Timm, Loeb/Sale, Amanda Conner, and a bunch of others. Cool stuff.
>>
>>83643277
Welp, no way i'm touching those then

>>83643203
>>83643376
>>83643142

Thanks
>>
File: Jose Gonzalez Vampirella.jpg (223 KB, 1548x2588) Image search: [Google]
Jose Gonzalez Vampirella.jpg
223 KB, 1548x2588
>>83643142
>the old mag had plenty of great cartoonists. Russ Heath, Richard Corben, all those Filipino dudes.

Don't forget the Spanish artists from Selecciones Illustradas—Jose Ortiz, Jose Gonzalez, Auraleon, etc. They drew some of the most iconic, classic Vampirella images.

I used to dismiss Warren's Vampirella as cheap schlock, but that was before I learned all about the great artists who worked on the title. I mean, the writing's still cheap schlock, but it's very beautifully-illustrated cheap schlock.
>>
>>83646006
>writing's still cheap schlock

Deliberately. It's tongue-in-cheek horror. There's a surprising amount of humor mixed in.
>>
>>83646241
True.

The writing on the Warren anthology mags was generally a (small) step above DC's horror and weird/mystery titles from the same era and they're decent enough as disposable fare. Still, there's a reason why they're more fondly remembered for the art than the writing.
>>
File: VampiVol1TPB8.jpg (178 KB, 663x1019) Image search: [Google]
VampiVol1TPB8.jpg
178 KB, 663x1019
>>83643203
There is Trautmann's run for Dynamite, running #1-20 and collected in three TPB: Crown of Worms, Murder of Crows and Throne of Skulls

It starts with Vampi in "civilian" clothes, but unlike Simone's ridiculous outfit, there she is stil hot, sexy and badass. And she reverts to the classic costume quite often.

Fun fact: Wonder Woman's current identity crisis looks a lot like Vampi's own. She, too, had problems with recurring changing past
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.