[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Rebirth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: batmanrebirth.jpg (2 MB, 1964x3034) Image search: [Google]
batmanrebirth.jpg
2 MB, 1964x3034
These Rebirth spin-offs are more like "Afterbirth".
>>
>>83635366
Because they're bad?

I think they're just boring... I don't know if any of them did their job: getting the reader interested in something they didn't use to read.

Except maybe Green Arrow.
>>
as someone who has never followed any comic books and is interested in some of the rebirth, i think it's pretty OKAY I GUESS SO FAR
>>
>>83635468
They're so boring. I trudged thru the Batman, Superman, and Lantern ones, before giving up 5 pages into the Aquaman issue.
>>
I've been enjoying them all so far.
>>
>>83635535
What comics do you like, Anonymous?
>>
>>83635366
You shouldn't have made this thread. But that's a good joke and I'm going to steal it so ok.
>>
>>83635535
Yeah, the Aquaman and GL were particularly bad. And Superman felt like an issue in the middle of a run, instead of new reader friendly.
>>
>>83635366
The Rebirth one-shots seem more concerned with establishing the new status quo than actually telling a decent story. I'm waiting until the actual #1s come out before passing judgement
>>
Flash was legit great except for the art.

All the rest are just okay, but it feels like some of them are unnecessary recaps.
>>
>>83635712
Yeah. They were kind of like "here's just another throw-away adventure starring your favorite hero".
>>
>>83635366
Don't know if it's Ed or Tyrone, but whoever it is get off /co/ and start working on + again.
>>
It feels like for most of them, you didn't need to have some sort of named event/restructuring

Green Arrow was the only interesting one
>>
>>83635737

Okay, I gotta ask, how was the Flash one great? The only thing that happened was we saw the Rebirth events from Barry's perspective, and that Old Wally was going to fuck off instead of meet Iris. So little happened! I couldn't believe it! I've read a Bendis comic where more things actually occurred in them. It was taking "decompression" to an all new level and it sort of drives me crazy to hear people tell me it's good.
>>
>>83635737
>Flash was legit great except for the art.

What was great about it? I hated the visit to Batman

>Well Barry, we have some clues and some theories. You know what, let's not share this with anyone, let's sit here and wait until the writers come up with something.
>>
>>83635893

I'm just a sucker for good character work and this was a really great little vignette of what makes both Barry and Wally distinctive superheroes.
>>
File: tumblr_m45em9bITx1qa8o34o1_500.jpg (25 KB, 411x273) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m45em9bITx1qa8o34o1_500.jpg
25 KB, 411x273
>>83635366
They were trying to fill us in too hard, that's the problem. I understand why they felt the need to do that, but it really took a lot time from the possible new stuff they could've introduced, and probably wanted to introduce.

Also, the comics were super word-y, and some parts were exhausting to get through.

I'm still extremely optimistic, though.
>>
>>83635366
Fuck you, I liked Green Arrow and Detective Comics. I regret nothing.
>>
>>83637543
Green Arrow was great but the rest were mediocre at best.
>>
>>83635366
>>83635468

Considering that a big company wide event at its worst is okay ish I chalk that up as a win.

CWII is just retarded top to bottom
>>
>>83637724
Why do you have to bring company wars into this?
>>
>>83635366
Flash, Supes, Green Arrow have the reason for "Rebirth".

To Batman, it is indeed Aftermath, since his return to the mantle happened earlier. Instead, here rebirth refers to the metahuman Calendar Day's new powers.
>>
>>83637543
>>83637631

Green Arrow was just Black Canary (who is a fucking knock-out bar none) preaching skepticism over Oliver's SJW shit. Read like a libtard soapbox (which I realize means 0 to most /co/cksuckers, so whatever).
>>
>>83640101
Welcome to Green Arrow
>>
>>83635366
Batman was literally the only bad issue and it wasn't even that bad
>>
>>83640157

There was always a SJ-ish flavor to Green Arrow, but they've never been so up-front and obnoxious about it that I can remember.
>>
>>83640101
You just described Green Arrow since always

>my feet hurt
>where are Black Canary's tits?
>muh liberalism
>why is Black Canary so problematic?
>I should dump her
>but them tits are good
>muh bow
>I want to fuck Black Canary
>>
>>83640520
>no mention of "I want to hang out with Hal"
>>
>>83640520
>I swear I'm not green Batman
>who's my sidekick this month again?
>>
>>83640520

>I wish Batman wouldn't say such mean things
>Fuck Hawkman
>>
>>83635366
I've read a few of the Rebirth issues, and come to think of it, yeah, few of them were any good.

Green Arrow was pretty good. But I was reading Percy's run all along, and it was always good. I'm happy it's selling well and that people are paying attention to it now, but part of me feels sad that what brought people in isn't just that he's a good writer, but the nostalgia of "hey, it's something more like classic Green Arrow!" I mean, I wanted classic Green Arrow back, too, but comics should be more than just about familiarity.

Wonder Woman was okay. We got Rucka back, but the issue was 20+ pages of "reboot shit is messing with time so that's what this storyline will be about when it starts." Underwhelming, but I'm still hopeful and excited for when the series really gets rolling. This was a filler issue that Rucka probably cobbled together in five minutes.

Superman ones... I was really excited for Action Comics because, come on, Super-Lex. But it was kinda dumb and it was just dumb characters fighting each other and saying dumb things like "WHO ARE YOU I DON'T BELIEVE YOU WE MUST FIGHT NO TIME TO TALK ABOUT SHIT" I was like, "shit, am I watching BvS again?"

The main Superman one was also just okay, not anything particularly good or bad, it's just there.

Similar story with Batman.

Detective was just cringey.

I thought Green Lanterns actually seems promising, though it didn't knock my socks off. Like, we've seen rookie GLs before, but we've never seen them learn the ropes together. That sounds fun. But when Hal fused the batteries, I was like, "yeah, I understand the point and the lesson it will teach, but this feels like a silly sitcom episode setup." Especially because he maybe just killed one of the GLs if there's ever an emergency and they need to recharge but the other GL is gone or kidnapped or some shit.

con't
>>
>>83640652
More "THE YELLOW STREAK KILLED MUH MUM" in The Flash, and the rest of the issue is shit you didn't need to read if you read Rebirth #1.

And I didn't even Aquaman.
>>
>>83635988

Characterisation, you retard. It had great characterisation and interactions between characters, not everything has to be about setting up the newest plotline from the get go
>>
>>83640652
>but part of me feels sad that what brought people in isn't just that he's a good writer, but the nostalgia

But that's literally what's bringing most people back into DC with Rebirth. It's what they promised.
>>
>>83640101

why do /tvirgins/ pretend to give a shit about comic books?
>>
>>83640698
>Characterisation

Oh, is "retelling the character's origin through thinly veiled exposition and recapping the special that came out a couple of weeks ago" what passes through characterization these days?

Alright.
>>
>>83640652

I disagree on most of it, the Superman boosk were good and a really good start for Superman Rebirth, the Batman ones were good too, clearly focusing even more on setting up stuff

And the Flash was GREAT, literally GREAT
>>
>>83640585
>Fuck Hawkman

Both of them got along better when they had the shared experience of "died and then got better" to bond over.
>>
>>83640802

Oh, its a contrarian complaining about comic books being written as comic books and bitching about expected elements from a reboot?

All faggot.
>>
>>83635988
Also, I don't understand how much of the Flashpoint stuff Barry understands. Like, he remembers Wally now, but did everything about the pre-FP universe and FP flood back to him, or just Wally?

That letter he gave to Bruce, does he even remember why? Does Bruce even remember why he has the letter? Since he doesn't know shit about the reboot, isn't he like, "what the fuck is this letter and why have I had it forever? How the fuck did dad know Barry Allen, and why did he try to kill him? Wouldn't he had been 6 at the time? My dad tried to kill a 6 year old? What the actual fuck is going on?" I vaguely remember that when the reboot started, DC indicated that Barry might be aware of the continuity changes. But then he wasn't.

Ah well it's an event comic, what do we expect.
>>
>>83638448
Not him, but a fair comparison to make given the circumstances at hand. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't believe they're competing for numbers.
>>
They range from good to serviceable. I wouldn't call any of them bad. They were, for the most part, set ups.

I have not gotten to Flash yet, but the first issue of Aquaman made me smile. Seeing Murk, Mera The Drift and Arthur still carrying on after the new 52 is a good feel.
>>
File: babby's butt aid.jpg (256 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
babby's butt aid.jpg
256 KB, 1024x768
>>83640853
<- - -

>>83640924
>Also, I don't understand how much of the Flashpoint stuff Barry understands.

Whatever the writers need him to remember.
>>
They're pretty much Point A to B set-up stories meant to rapidly establish status quos for the series without wasting much time.

They've been mostly fine. The only bad one was Wonder Woman honestly.
>>
>>83641300
I guess they aren't the first issues of the series proper, but are labeled as one-shots not in the overall series numbering scheme. Maybe that's why they didn't tend to feel like they had much "story" in them, they were just kind of set-ups. It still seems shitty to charge money for plotless setups when they could had just done what the DCYou initiative did (they released those 8-page previews over the internet that segued into the first issues), but maybe it means that the thinness of them isn't an indication of what the series will be like.

Then again, with decompression, a lot of actual comics are written in the exact same way, so I dunno.
>>
>>83641455
>when they could had just done what the DCYou initiative did ... 8 page previews

The problem is that no one read the 8 page previews, on the whole. And, for various reasons, it's a bit shitty to require/prod people to read something in one medium (online) when you *actually* want them to buy the thing following it in another medium (floppy).

I'm not sure if there's a perfect way to do it. The sort of "Marvel"ish way would be to have a summary page describing what happened up to the real #1. It could certainly work for DC, but they haven't used those in forever and -- along with wanting to differentiate themselves from Marvel -- it's unlikely they'll go back.

Similarly, just taking on some extra pages to the #1 would work, but it most likely would force DC to raise the price. And I think "holding the line" is more important to them than that.

Online previews, again, aren't ideal. And so, a separate Rebirth one-shot issue makes the most sense.
>>
DC "fans" just don't like comics
>>
>>83640326
Go read GA/GL. It was storytimed recently.
COunt how many times Ollie calls someone Hitler
>>
>>83640326
>but they've never been so up-front and obnoxious about it that I can remember.
lol

There used to be a running joke that Ollie and Hawkman would argue about politics and their speech bubbles would sometimes look like strawmen
And that's not getting into GL/GA
>>
>>83640760
Because their shitposting gets more attention here than on /tv/ where every single post is a shitpost. How else will they get those precious (you)s.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.