[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it as bad as everyone said?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 81Tj4+BYVHL.jpg (337 KB, 1500x1154) Image search: [Google]
81Tj4+BYVHL.jpg
337 KB, 1500x1154
Was it as bad as everyone said?
>>
No.
>>
>>83627866
I read it from a storytime; with exception of Frank not even hidding that the characters are re-skins of Batman and Catwoman, it's actually not that bad a "Superhero vs. Terrorists" story. What saves it is that Frank had excellent page composition
>>
>>83627866
It's racist against terrorismaphobic
>>
Abysmal artwork, shit story full of plotholes and stuff that comes out of nowhere and just Batman fanwanking.

But I wouldn't call it islamophobic. To read any message into it, you would have to take it serious, which you clearly can't.
>>
storytime?
>>
>>83627866
I haven't read it, but I'm guessing "no", because all criticism I've heard against it was just moaning about "racism", instead of criticism on the art or writing. Sounds to me like people are just upset that Frank Miller is a Republican who doesn't like Islamic terrorists and turns them into charicatures. And excuse me, but subtlety and realism went out of the fucking window with Frank Miller doing a fucking superhero comic. Plus, it's kind of hypocritical when the same people think it's a good thing when their own politics are being shilled in their own comics. Just go and ask them how they feel about female Thor being called "Whor" and neckbeards suggesting it's all misandry all the way.

Holy Terror is a good name, though. Kind of wish it was used for something else. It succintly highlights the hypocrisy behind religious terrorism and the false narrative of fighting a "war" against the Evil West.
>>
>>83627866
The art is just shit. Miller kept the same style as Sin City, but this looks crappy / rushed in comparison.

Also the story just....ends? It feels like "episode 1" but there's no continuation.
>>
>>83628479
>Sounds to me like people are just upset that Frank Miller is a Republican who doesn't like Islamic terrorists
He's actually a Democrat-voting-libertarian who doesn't like Islamic terrorists
>>
>>83628479
Miller is a liberal and supports Hillary. He just jared muslims.
>>
>>83628508
>>83628511
Fair enough. I just figured he was Republican from all the criticism about this comic calling him that.
>>
>>83627866
Not at all.
>>
Is isn't as bad as everyone says, it's just very, very weird when you get down to it.

Also there's the way it just kind of ends. It feels almost like Miller was intending it to be a beginning or bridge to another series, and didn't bother to edit the ending after that became sure to not happen.
>>
>>83628561
>I just figured he was Republican from all the criticism about this comic calling him that.

Because people are idiots or liars and it goes against the Democrat narrative that all Democrats love muslims and only evil republicans dare to question Islam
>>
>>83627866
No it just triggered liberals who fight tooth and nail to protect their precious perfect Muslims
>>
>>83627866
Yeah it was bad, it was crazy and a lot of parts barely made sense.
>>
Miller's art has seriously degraded over the years.
>>
>>83629478
it was meant to be a Batman book but DC said no
>>
>>83627866
it's just a really shallow revenge fantasy motivated by 9/11. it has as much substance as that game Hatred, but because it was about a topical issue it got elevated to 'controversial' for reasons other than its actual quality
>>
File: scan0022.jpg (423 KB, 1600x839) Image search: [Google]
scan0022.jpg
423 KB, 1600x839
>>83628038
>Frank had excellent page composition
it really didn't. you could tell that a lot of the pages were structured in a certain way to make room for the walls of text he wanted to include.

look at pic related. the composition is really bland and there's an absurd amount of text obscuring what SHOULD be a background.
>>
>>83630215
>(Not)Catwoman is in Shibari Bondage
>(Not)Osama is in an outfit made up entirely of beads.
>>
What if Frank Miller wrote an issue of Ms. Marvel?
>>
>>83627866

...Yes.

I could make it long, but the answer is yes.

I you want to hear a longer version, watch Linkara's 300th episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50mpARmMGSg
>>
>>83630420
Stop shilling your stuff Lewis.
>>
>>83630420
>Miller can't write women
>apparently hasn't read Martha Washington
>dissing on Robocop Vs. Terminator
what a cock
>>
>>83630420
>watch Linkara
>>
>>83630215

This looks like a cartoon made to mock Miller.

...We lost him a long time ago, didn't we?
>>
>>83630664

I like his stuff. It's comfy.

>>83630569
>>Miller can't write women

Argue.
>>
>>83630792
>.We lost him
No he just kept getting more abstract and stylized. He started out doing solid figure work like Neal Adams or Gil Kane and when he had the basics mastered he started breaking the rules. It's the same thing Kirby did
>>
>>83630792
Miller's descent goes back longer than you'd think - he was mugged in the 80's, which came through in his writing.

Being divorced around the same time 9/11 happened didn't help.
>>
>>83628479
The original Holy Terror is an old Elseworlds comic where Bruce Wayne was a minister in a theocratic Gotham City. The main villain was a jew (obviously).
>>
OP, watch this to find out how bad this comic really is:

http://atopthefourthwall.com/holy-terror/
>>
>>83631241
see
>>83630527
>>83630664
>>
>>83631119

...The main villain was the state. Erdel was just a pawn.
>>
>>83630792
well he has cancer, so yes, he's technically dead already.
>>
>>83631301
Jews are behind the state too, they always are.
>>
>>83631315

No, technically he is alive, but really sick. And that's not what I meant.
>>
>>83630814
>>>Miller can't write women
>Argue.

Read Martha Washington, particularly Give Me Liberty. It's a fantastic book with a well written female lead. Hell even Sin City's female characters had as much depth as the male characters (shallow as that may be).
>>
>>83630792
What was his last good book?
>>
>>83631485
>Sin City's female characters had as much depth

They're all whores, murderers or victims, occasionally all three.

And yes. Give Me Liberty was pretty great. And until you mentioned it, I didn't actually realize it was Miller's.

>>83631515

'Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot'.
>>
>>83627866
with that art
it was
>>
>>83631515
His Atom mini comic from DKIII
>>
>>83631563
>They're all whores, murderers or victims, occasionally all three.
The only thing the men aren't is the first one.
>>
>>83628484
>Art is just shit
nigga, we read the same book?
>>
>>83630116
other way round, Miller decided not to make it a bat-book
>>
>>83630215
>Cherrypicking
>>
>>83631563
please just kill yourself and take your shitty taste with you kid.
>>
>>83629828
Why has the Left become so emotionally invested in defending a sexist, homophobic and reactionary creed anyway? Is it because most of Islam's adherents are brown-skinned so they think they're re-fighting the Civil Rights movement? Is it just because the Right is hostile to it?
Seriously, I don't get it.
>>
>>83627866
Only to hardcore libs, tumblr, and /co/.
>>
>>83631898
They're still feeling guilty over the post-9/11 US. Bush won by a majority in 2004, the backlash didn't happen until 2006.
>>
>>83631563
>They're all whores, murderers or victims, occasionally all three.
None of those make the characters bad. No one in Sin City was particularly deep. All the male leads were "too old for this shit" tough guys and the women were femme fatales. The men are written about on par with the women.
>>
It wasn't even good as a piece of propoganda
>>
>>83631898
>>83632017

nah, it's because America was founded on Aristotelian dualism, i.e. the idea that there is only one right answer, and that anything that isn't the right answer is its opposite, i.e. Wrong/Evil.

so if you like the color blue, then you must HATE the color orange.

if you love Jesus, you HATE muslims.

if you hate republicans, you LOVE muslims

if you like chicago style pizza, you HATE new york style pizza.

any reasonable person should realize that this type of rigid ideaology isn't going to work for every situation. this is the end result of the decades-long slapfight between Republicans and Democrats, NOT "liberals and conservatives." that's just some bullshit they say on the news to try and fool you into thinking they've been around forever, instead of only having been around for less than 50 years. honestly, the current crop of Dems/Repubs is only about 15 years old. but they want us all to think they have authority that extends past their true origins as Yet Another Bullshit Political Party.

currently their best efforts have been focused on preventing us from talking to each other. they are pants-shittingly terrified that americans will find out that we all have much more in common that we think, and that we're not nearly as polarized and extreme as some faggot on tv tells us we are.

also, you Repubs need to let us tell Africa and the rest of the world about contraception and sex education. SERIOUSLY.
>>
>>83632597
>also, you Repubs need to let us tell Africa and the rest of the world about contraception and sex education. SERIOUSLY.
Not actually an American, which is why I referred to the Left rather than the Democrats. No objection to you trying to convince Africans to use condoms instead of anal as a preventative measure. If nothing else it'll stop the spread of HIV.
>>
>>83632597
>also, you Repubs need to let us tell Africa and the rest of the world about contraception and sex education. SERIOUSLY.
I have a friend who went to Africa who said that if given condoms they'll just poke holes in 'em even when explained why they shouldn't.
>>
>>83632597
>let us tell Africa and the rest of the world
They already know, the ruling class are usually just uneducated military men, who are sometimes religious fundamentalists.
>>
>>83632105
this

I can defend ASBAR and TDKSA over some things but Holy Terror was shit in literally every way
>>
File: holyterrart.jpg (84 KB, 952x669) Image search: [Google]
holyterrart.jpg
84 KB, 952x669
>>83631739
that's how the majority of the book looks, my dude.
>>
>>83632597
>also, you Repubs need to let us tell Africa and the rest of the world about contraception and sex education

>Liberal strawman bullshit

IM SURPRISED
>>
>>83630215
>"guys help me i cant see through all these fucking beads"
>>
>>83631335
Nice save
>>
>>83627866
No.
>>
>>83632597
>Africa
>Learning
These are the same peoplem ho broke ebola quarantines and attacked medical personelle because they thought the white man was giving them ebola as part of a death cult

This is the same place where people are still being executed for witchcraft and delicious albinos are butchered and sold as an AIDS cure
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.