[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the general consensus on this film? I watched it in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
What is the general consensus on this film?

I watched it in theaters. I forget what happened. People said it was a great movie, one of Nolan's best. No one mentions it anymore other than for the now infamous Plane scene.
>>
Absolutely awful and it highlights Nolan's inability to film action sequences even more than the first two did.

Would also like to add The Dark Knight is horribly, horribly paced and the film slows to a crawl with its dreadful plot whenever Joker isn't on the screen.
>>
It revealed that people don't know what a plothole is
>>
>>83623303
kek this.
>>
>>83623228
Son of a gun, I remember giving this movie a shot, it blew my mind.
>>
Nolan's third batfilm was just as good as begins or dark knight. All 3 films are perfect for different reasons. Don't waste your time asking this shit hole for opinions on anything.
>>
>>83623282
>whenever Joker isn't on the screen
All the other characters should be asking, "where's Joker?"
>>
Bane?
>>
The plane scene gets all the attention, but it really sets the done for a film that's strange, clunky, and actually pretty goofy.

There are so many strange things that just sort of fucking happen. Catwoman runs on convenience. The 'clean slate' is magic, and so is the fusion reactor. Bruce going broke in a single hour makes no sense whatsoever. How does he get back to Gotham? Why is the ENTIRE police force going down after Bane?

On top of that the film has a really strange and creepy glorification of the police and hatred of the working class. Like, fuck, the cops aren't superheroes, Batman's a superhero.

Also, John Blake is a Mary Sue. He is a huge fucking Mary Sue and he is a perfect example of how 'Mary Sue' isn't a sexist term.
>>
>>83623303
A lot of the things from this film people called plot holes were still shit writing
>>
>>83623533
>Why is the ENTIRE police force going down after Bane?

This was so unbelievably stupid, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with this
>>
>>83623533
One of the weirdest parts for me was then ending when after a trilogy of hyping up this "realistic" Batman with human limitations he flies the bomb out of Gotham and far enough away that it didn't damage anything in a sequence silly enough to fit in the fucking 60's TV show.
>>
>>83623596
There is a shocking lack of worldbuilding in TDKR.
When Bane takes over the city- the city looks totally fine. No buildings burned down, no graffiti, no roaming gangs of criminals, not even a dumpster fire to be seen.
A super villain has taken over GOTHAM, the entire police force has been imprisoned underground and Batman is gone, but JIM GORDON STILL HAS HIS FUCKING HOUSE? Why does this earth shattering event have 0 consequences?
>>
>>83623533
>he knew who Batman was because he saw it in his eyes
>you should use your middle name, ROBIN
>>
File: tdkr_total_anarchy.png (248 KB, 718x384) Image search: [Google]
tdkr_total_anarchy.png
248 KB, 718x384
>>83623655
Like shouldn't they be hiding under a bridge? shouldn't entire neighborhoods have burned down? Hasn't it been anarchy for months?
Nolan clearly didn't give a single fuck.
Except for "Wall street traders do the world a public service" he cared enough to flop that in there.
>>
>>83623228
Really? It was great.

Batman old and getting back into it anyways. Bane the young turk trying to take him down out of jealousy.

Perfect ending for Nolan's version of Gotham, too, the ups and downs of the people.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (69 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
69 KB, 425x282
>>83623228
>I watched it in theaters. I forget what happened.
This sums up my experience, too. It was a mix of bewildering and forgettable, with the few memorable scenes being a rough 50/50 split between bad-memorable and good-memorable.

I think I hate it if only because it gave birth to Baneposting, not even because of the film's own flaws.
>>
>>83623533
>How does he get back to Gotham? Why is the ENTIRE police force going down after Bane?
Presumably the ninja-man can sneak on a plane.

The entire police force went after Batman earlier, they're trying to make a big show.

Besides it wasn't all of them, the rest just didn't do anything about it because, you know, they didn't want to die (or tried anyways).

>On top of that the film has a really strange and creepy glorification of the police and hatred of the working class.
Wow you didn't get it at all. While cops were definitely putthere as the people who are doing something about crime (something the entire trilogy revolves around) and exist as a stand-in for soldiers, they were shown to be just as human as everyone else and crippled by their media representations. It doesn't hate the working class, it's just focusing on aspects of the city that doesn't have anything to do with them.

>Also, John Blake is a Mary Sue. He is a huge fucking Mary Sue and he is a perfect example of how 'Mary Sue' isn't a sexist term.
He's the audience, fuckwit. He's the nobody who sees the plotholes and how to make a good movie and do something about it. He could be you if you weren't an anonymous whiner.
>>
>>83623655
>. No buildings burned down,
why would buildings burn down?
> no graffiti, no roaming gangs of criminals, not even a dumpster fire to be seen.
it wasn't no man's land, bane had an army of mercenaries
>>
>>83624134
>He's the audience, fuckwit. He's the nobody who sees the plotholes and how to make a good movie and do something about it. He could be you if you weren't an anonymous whiner.

Oh, so he's a self-insert, and therefore a TEXTBOOK Mary Sue, then.
>>
This movie was so fucking bad, holy crap
>that opening Bane scene with the plane
>that passable Selina Kyle
>them fight scenes
>no one figures out the rope is too short and causes them to fall
>that big "twist" with Talia
>starved and imprisoned underground cops are able to fight Bane's thugs with ease
>Bane's thugs weren't able to shoot the oncoming cops before Batman disabled their guns
>Bane's awful lines and the way they were presented
>Batman's unexplained Make It Nighttime powers
Seriously, I saw this movie for free when I still worked at my local cinema and felt like I deserved my money back.
>>
>>83624169
>Oh, so he's a self-insert, and therefore a TEXTBOOK Mary Sue, then.
Did the audience write the movie?
>>
>>83624169
Technically a self-insert would be if he was supposed to be Nolan himself. Audience inserts are incredibly common in movies, and that claim can be made of many protagonists.
>>
This movie was undeniably the worst of the series while Batman Begins is still the strongest. The Nolan realism is dumb because there is still goofy shit going on and only limits what can happen in this universe. Also Bale's Batman is perhaps the most overrated interpretation yet.
>Supposed to be a master of several martial arts, each fight scene is him punching like a drunk
>Laughably bad Batman voice
>Batarangs a virtually nonexistent
>He quits
>Magic knee brace
>>
File: TDKR fall over.gif (3 MB, 381x318) Image search: [Google]
TDKR fall over.gif
3 MB, 381x318
>>83623228
>I watched it in theaters. I forget what happened.
A clumsy mishmash of The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall and probably some other crap about Bane and Talia. It's a well-shot movie with good visuals and music, but the story arc is a complete mess.

They seemed to think that just because they made some neat references to A Tale of Two Cities, that would somehow make it more elevated, or impressive, or as important as works like that. But in a Batman movie, that just makes it more pretentious, and distracted them from asking important "Is this going to be a good movie?" questions, such as:

"Does it make sense for a CIA agent to act the way he does by bringing total strangers on his plane without even looking at who the captives are?"
"Does it make sense for Bane to expect the police department to send all the cops in the city into the tunnels? Why would he expect them to do that absurdly ill-advised thing?"
"Do we really expect the audience to buy that Dr. Pavel could so easily rework someone else's nuclear device into a bomb, just because he's written a paper on it? And why would Bane assume that he could?"
"Yes it looks cool for Batman to make a Batman symbol on the bridge in gasoline, but is it really worth the time and resources it would take when there's a bomb set to go off the next day? Doesn't that send the message to the audience that he doesn't take the threat seriously?"

And other glaring elements that while not all of them are true "plot holes" are definitely plot flaws.
>>
>>83624484
I liked Bale's Bruce Wayne, but his ridiculous Batman voice really took me out of each one of the movies. Wasn't he convinced to do that by marketing or something? I forget.
>>
>>83624569
Proof that Snyder has given us the best Bat action to date. Can't wait to make that HD webm of the warehouse fight.
>>
>>83624484

>Nolan realism

It's not realism, it's stripping away the elements that would interfere with the drama. There's plenty of unrealistic stuff in those movies, Nolan just took away what would drag the drama while keeping the comic-book core.

But the movies aren't fucking "realistic."
>>
>>83624648
About the only thing he did right
>>
>>83624569
Yeah, it's really fun to watch, but thinking back on it, basically nothing in the movie makes any sense at all. Like, you have lots of well shot, cool to watch scenes, with absolutely no sensible connection whatsoever.
>>
>>83624678
Nice Okcupid profile faggot
Yeah like I want a batverse where villains like Clayface or Mister Freeze can never happen
>>
>>83624719
This doesn't even describe TDKR. That sounds more like Batman v. Superman.
>>
>>83624678
This might just be the dumbest fucking post I've seen on this board.
>>
>>83624678
>it's stripping away the elements that would interfere with the drama.
What the fuck does that mean? Are comic books incapable of drama because they have some level of camp? Making a movie about a guy fighting crime as a bat, and then pretending that itssupersrsguys is retarded.

also,
>>83624759
kek
>>
>>83624853
>Are comic books incapable of drama because they have some level of camp?

Yes? No injury never matters because you can cure everything, death is meaningless because it doesn't last, money is not a problem because everyone is rich or doesn't need it anyway. There's always some parallel universe frome where you can get a spare of copies in case people died. A city can be destroyed and it doesn't matter etc.
>>
>>83624924
All of that has nothing to do with less-than-gritty tone of comics, and still totally applies to the Nolan movies.
>>
>>83624818
Let's be honest here and admit that it describes most cape movies.
>>
>>83624165
>why would buildings burn down?
Because Bane released every criminal in Gotham?
>wasn't no mans land
But the point of Banes plan (Talias plan I guess) is to tear down society to "Torture Gothams soul"
"The city is yours do as you please!" sounds like anarchy to me?
There is no visual indication that Bane rules Gotham is my problem- everything looks fine pretty much.
>mercenaries
They weren't the new league of shadows? How was he paying them?
>>
>>83623596
Ledger's death clearly led to a hastily cobbled together plot for Rises.

Rises is nevertheless solid until it reaches the third act where it falls apart completely. The third act is a total mess.

Nolan kills all suspense in the bomb chase by kiling Bane BEFORE it and not presenting Talia as a serious threat; she does not even drive the truck ffs.

That chase is a tension-free fucking cakewalk where Batman's plane takes no damage even at point blank range and is only mildly bothered by missiles.
Selina on the Batpod takes out the Tumblers with one shot; very little real resourcefulness by she or Bruce.
>>
>>83623228
I've seen better fight choreography in high school plays. Bale's Batman voice was barely understandable as English. The ending was trash, we're supposed to believe the kid from Third Rock from the Sun is Robin now, somehow going to carry on in Batman's role with no special training, no funding, no privacy to work in with the mansion full of nosy kids, and no Wayne tech to supply him. Bane was completely wasted, his backstory tossed out so Bats can fight the league of shadows again for some reason when there are literally hordes of other things in the comics they could have used. Catwoman was pointless, it would have made much more sense to have Talia in her place as Bruce's equal in both parts of his life. They had a mock trial scene that was completely wasted as there was no Two-Face to run it, instead they use Scarecrow for SOME REASON.

Also it's kind of a nitpick but the idea that Bruce Wayne keeps his mother's jewelry in a safe some random burglar could break into in some random room in his house really bothers me. Wouldn't that be the kind of thing he keeps in his most crazy paranoid mega-vault down in the cave?
>>
File: The Bat God Returns.gif (158 KB, 550x834) Image search: [Google]
The Bat God Returns.gif
158 KB, 550x834
>>83623303
This.

Which is the short version of this: >>83623533
>>
>>83623228
Nolan's worst movie. 6,5-7/10 still.
>>
>>83627787
It's interesting to me, that people are able to recall some particulate details about this movie, even if to criticize...

What I remember:
> Bane was in it
> There was some HOLE
> People had to get out of the HOLE
> Lots of flashbacks about the HOLE
> Batwing, I think? Was it really in it?

After reading this thread I also now remember
> Bane took over Gotham
> Catwoman was in it

No idea who this Talia person everyone mentions is. Was she actually Al'Gul, from the comics? What was her role? No clue.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.