[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So was Crisis on Infinite Earths a full reboot like what New
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: crisis.jpg (165 KB, 584x451) Image search: [Google]
crisis.jpg
165 KB, 584x451
So was Crisis on Infinite Earths a full reboot like what New 52 was supposed to be, or was it more of a relaunch like Rebirth is supposed to be? I know it cleaned up all the multiverse stuff a bit to be more tidy, but how many storylines and characters continued where they left off from before CoIE? I know some characters died and were replaced, like Wally replacing Barry, but for the ones who survived were they heavy altered?

I've been going back lately and reading older stuff, but most of what is recommended is from after CoIE. I'm just curious about the difference between say pre-CoIE SUperman and post-CoIE, and whether a new reader back then would've been able to just pick up any post-CoIE comic and be reading a fresh start to characters. As someone who only really started reading DC with New 52 I'm really curious about the history of the various Crises and whatnot, especially with all this Rebirth stuff going on.
>>
Post-Crisis was 100% a fresh start for most of the characters that gave people a chance to start again from whole cloth

Superman is a particularly good example of this

The negating of Superboy
The change of status of the Kents

It also allowed them to do Year One's to fill in more of those changes.
>>
>>83622904
>>83622969
It wasn't as complete as some people would have you believe.
>>
>>83622904
>but how many storylines and characters continued where they left off from before CoIE?
A lot of books continued THROUGH COIE and only got relaunched later

You know what was a clusterfuck? They had Who's Who running DURING COIE

All Star Squadron and Infinity Inc also ran through COIE which was pretty fucked up considering that the JSA got shunted into Limbo and and their Earth got combined into Earth 1 so their history had to be totally rewritten WHILE they were also being written out

Hawkman didn't get rebooted until several years after COIE, GL and Batman didn't get anything changed at all (sound familiar?)

Superboy got booted from continuity which created a big mess in the Legion of Super Heroes continuity (which had been a HUGE book at the time) that required a lot of effort to fix later on

Superman and Wonder Woman got clean reboots but they were about it
>>
>>83622985
Tell that to the people running Legion.
>>
it really depends on the character. Like Batman had a new origin, but a lot of pre-crisis stuff was still in the canon. Everyone knew Barry Allen had sacrificed himself in the Crisis. Swamp Thing just went right through the reboot like it wasn't a big deal.
>>
You should read it if you haven't yet because it explains the specific mechanisms of what happened in-universe. For a lot of characters it gave them new histories because the Earths merged together. When needed there were flashback origins written. But a lot of series did just continue on too. I guess it's kind of a mix of what you're thinking. There wasn't a line-wide deaging or anything though. New 52 is kind of unique in that sense.
>>
>>83623055
That isn't true

Only a few character knew about the Crisis.
>>
>>83623055
>>83623078
They knew there was a Crisis and Barry Allen died in it but the specifics of their memories were different from what actually happened.
>>
>>83623110
If I am not 100% mistaking this I thought the whole deal with the Psycho Pirate post crisis is that he was insane because he did remember what happened and no one else did.
>>
>>83623155
Yeah Psycho Pirate remembered it, and a handful of others like the Spectre did too
>>
>>83623155
yeah he's the only one who had full correct memories like knowledge of the multiverse and all
>>
File: damn countdown.jpg (133 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
damn countdown.jpg
133 KB, 500x750
DC was like "Our multiverse is too confusing. Destroy everything, start over." some lived, some died, nothing was ever the same. (for better or worse (now you can do stories about fixing stories to great acclaim for one thing))

some top talent on their characters with that new start. (Byrne, Frank Miller, Perez on the Trinity)

and Barry was dead until 08?09? and bringing him back screwed up a franchise for years
>>
>>83623072
I plan to soon, probably next week. I've basically just been working down a backlog comprised of stuff from rec charts and runs people talk about a lot. All of this stuff with pre-Flashpoint Superman coming back in Rebirth has me half tempted to just read the whole Superfamily catalog over the summer since I've been digging the character, and especially since it sounded like he had a pretty hard reboot after CoIE. Think that's what got me reading into the history of the various Crises, was curious what all was really affected like that.
>>
>>83622904
Crisis was a full reboot like New 52.

>>83622985
It was "complete", but that doesn't mean they changed everything. It was the continuity that got rebooted. MOST of the characters stayed roughly the same. Unlike New 52 where they changed EVERYTHING.
>>
>>83625211
>Unlike New 52 where they ruined EVERYTHING.

fixt
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.