[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>52 >The Return of Bally Allen >The Tower of Babel >Kingdom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (359 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
359 KB, 500x500
>52
>The Return of Bally Allen
>The Tower of Babel
>Kingdom Come
>Birthright
Why is he not back at DC again? What did DC do to him that made him spiral out of control, write a shit Hulk comic and go anti-GG crazy?
>>
>>83618029
Johns pretty much shat on everything he did
>>
File: 4 years and still divisive.jpg (95 KB, 660x350) Image search: [Google]
4 years and still divisive.jpg
95 KB, 660x350
>>83618029
prolly still mad over Man of Steel

maybe even as mad as /co/
>>
>>83618067
For the Flash? That's why he won't return to DC?
>>
>>83618029
>MUH SUPERMAN
>MUH SILVER AGE
>MUH HERO'S INTEGRITY
>MUH DC EDITORS AND THEIR BULLSHIT
>>
>>83618029
>Why is he not back at DC again?
he's a big fucking baby
>>
>>83618029
>Why is he not back at DC again?

http://comicsalliance.com/mark-waid-slams-dan-didio-and-dc-comics/
>>
>>83618029
He can stay at Marvel with the rest of the trash as far as I care. He was dead to me after writing "all new all different avengers" and subjecting readers to that bullshit falcon/whor shock romance.
>>
>>83618131
>“…once I committed to the project and we’d solicited the first issue, before even one script was finished every single promise that had been made to me to get me back aboard was reneged upon, so integrity and backbone demanded I quit on principle before the first issue even came out. The only reason I stayed six was because of my loyalty to my editor, who didn’t deserve to be screwed.”

What?
>>
>>83618158
No. He needs to be given a small corner of the DC Universe so he can create a really great story and get back on track. Flash wouldn't be as great without him. He needs to do the Flash treatment to someone else.
>>
>>83618173

In what way is that not clear?
>>
>>83618393
The promises I guess. That was the Waid/Acuna run right? I feel like Acuna quit after the first issue or soemthing.
>>
>>83618131
Aside from the Didio stuff, he also hates Harras. His stint on the X-Men lasted all of 6 issues in the 90's because he hated working under Harras.

>Word has it that you’re no longer welcome at Marvel after a statement you made on my Forum about Bob Harras. What’s your take on Bob’s time at Marvel in your experience?

>Yeah, that’s at least temporarily true. Apparently, the fact that Bob was fired for unfair and wrong reasons one September rather than for all the tens of hundreds of RIGHT reasons he’d racked up in the seven years PREVIOUS gave a lot of staffers a sudden change of heart. Amazing. Overnight, they forgot what a two-faced, cowardly liar Bob had been and what crap they’d all had to suffer through because of his shortcomings as a manager. Instead, everyone was lighting candles for Bob. Jesus. You want to know the truth? In my humble =koff= opinion, Bob did as much to help destroy the comic book industry during the 1990s than any other single human being alive. Yes, even more than Gareb. I’d even let Ron Perlman out of Hell before I’d pardon Bob. For years and years and years, the editorial philosophy at Marvel was to make each and every comic book as labyrinthine and confusing as creatively possible. Marvel had the single highest-profile comic book in the Western hemisphere–X-MEN–and Bob did everything imaginable to make it completely incomprehensible and inaccessible to new and/or casual readers. Everything.
>>
File: 1464092237946.png (32 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1464092237946.png
32 KB, 128x128
>>83618666
>I’d even let Ron Perlman out of Hell before I’d pardon Bob.
>>
>>83618029
>anti-GG

No wonder /co/ turned its back on him in a flash.
>>
>>83618666
He says that and yet the x-books were the best selling comics of the 90s. Makes all those other books look bad, huh?
>>
>>83618817
>the x-books were the best selling comics of the 90s. Makes all those other books look bad, huh?

Marvel also went bankrupt in the 90's.
>>
>>83618029
Waid was the heir apparent to Didio as editor in chief, and Didio felt threatened by him. Either because of that or just because he's a slobbering silver-age fanboy, Didio spent years shitting on everything Waid wrote throughout the 90's.
>>
>>83618666
>...let Ron Pearlman out of hell before I...
What the fuck is wrong with Ron Pearlman? This is based entirely off his choice of parts to play and I know nothing of him as a human being, but I think he fucking rules.
>>
>>83618811
Yeah I know GG Allen was the fucking shit. If you don't like him he doesn't care and he's just as likely to take a huge shit in your mailbox anyway.
>>
>>83620203
Because of issues unrelated to comics, particularly that bad collectible card deal.
>>
>>83620639
Not the actor. Ron Perleman the jerk who bought Marvel Entertainment Group in 1989 and preceded to issue a bunch of junk bonds to buy other entertainment companies, leading to Marvel's bankruptcy.
>>
>>83618029
they hinted that he's gonna get Harass position..... they didn't give it to him so he jumped ship is what I recall.
>>
>>83620943
Oh, it's spelled like the actor's name in the quote. I'm not as versed in comic book behind the scenes history as some other people, I just remember the marvel multiverse getting a million plot holes dick rammed into it and them going bankrupt while Rob Liefeld rode a cocaine fueled rocket into superstardom.
>>
>>83620748
>the comics crash was because of reasons unrelated to comics
>>
>>83621866
Uh, so it's just a coincidence that they all pretty much sucked mad ass 80% of the time and ran entirely off plot holes?
>>
>>83618096
You would think crap sinks to the bottom, but it floats
>>
>>83620203
X-Men were the only Marvel comics that sold well during the 90s
>>
>>83623019
yes
>>
>>83625396
Spiderman as well, I'd imagine. I'm basing this assumption on the fact he had more cartoons and video games in the 90s
>>
>>83618108
>MUH SILVER AGE
We're talking about Waid, not Johns.
>>
>>83621866
>>83623019
The speculator boom was temporary, the crash was simply a harsh reset back to status quo. Adjusted for inflation, annual revenues from the 90s weren't that much worse than the 10s annual revenues.
>>83628397
Johns is actually a bronze ager, he's too young to have any sort of silver age attachment. The silver age was Waid's childhood though.
>>
It's been implied before that Waid was skipped over as EiC because the Big 2 was moving away from creative EiCs and getting more into brand integration. Didio, Lee, Harras and now apparently Johns are guys that excel on the business front and Waid has only ever been concerned with creating (what he considers) the best comics possible.

Can you imagine Waid in charge while WB is pressuring them to advertise for the Snyderverse? It doesn't work. He's a comics nerd and this isn't a comics business anymore.
>>
>>83628415
>Johns is actually a bronze ager, he's too young to have any sort of silver age attachment

You're a dumbass
>>
>>83628651
Johns was born on January 25, 1973. The bronze age started in 1970.
>>
>>83628685

Yea congrats on googling his birthday. We all know Johns is too young to have lived through the Silver Age, he still absolutely worships Silver Age comics. That's obviously from even taking a glance at his style or the characters he favors.

That requires actually reading comics instead of shit posting though
>>
>>83628767
I see you can't tell the difference between bronze and silver. Take for example the JSA
>The JSA's popularity grew until they regained their own title. All Star Comics #58 (January – February 1976) saw the group return as mentors to a younger set of heroes briefly called the "Super Squad" until they were integrated into the JSA proper. This run lasted until #74, with a brief run thereafter in Adventure Comics #461-466,[36] but it had three significant developments: it introduced Power Girl in All Star Comics #58,[37][38] chronicled the death of the Golden Age Batman in Adventure Comics #461-462, and, after nearly 40 years, it finally provided the JSA with an origin story in DC Special #29.[39] The Huntress was introduced in DC Super Stars #17 (Nov.-Dec. 1977) which told her origin,[40] and All Star Comics #69 (Nov.-Dec. 1977), which was published the same day.[41] The 1970s run of All Star Comics was written by Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz, and artists included Ric Estrada, Wally Wood, Keith Giffen, Joe Staton, and Bob Layton.

>The series was noteworthy for depicting the heroes as having aged into their 50s.[42] The artwork gave them graying hair and lined faces. It was highly unusual, then or now, for a comic book to have heroes this old. Most comic books obscure the timelines or periodically relaunch the series to keep the characters youthful. This depiction was a consequence of the fact that the heroes were closely linked to World War II era.[43] This became problematic in the 1980s when the heroes would logically be well into their 60s. The explanation given for this by writer Roy Thomas in All-Star Squadron Annual #3 was that the team and several friends have absorbed energy from the magical villain Ian Karkull during an adventure in the 1940s that stunts their aging process.[44]

Surprise surprise, Johns's JSA is a copy of this one, with 50+ year old heroes training younger ones. Not the silver age version.
>>
>>83628685
I was born in '91 and Bronze Age is my favourite comic era.
>>
>>83628792

The All-Star Squadron was a natural continuation of the annual Silver Age JLA / JSA crossover comics that Johns has worshiped his entire career. And if you read that comic instead of looking it up on wikipedia you would know that it's style and storytelling were a throwback to the Silver Age JLA style more than the "relevant" psychedelic or gritty tone of most Bronze team books.

Johns modeled his JSA after it because it was one of the few comics of his childhood that was written in the style of a Silver Age book.
>>
>>83628872
Semantics. Other Johns favorites: Cyborg, Firestorm, Alan Moore Green Lantern lore, warsuit-wearing Luthor. All bronze age.
>>
>>83628929

What do you think semantics means?
>>
>>83618029
>52
This. This is the reason. DiDio poisoned a lot of relationships with his shit-talk of 52. Honestly, Rucka was clearly not as interested in working with DC after 52, too.
Honestly, DC stopped poisoning their relationships with writers only around 2013-14. But soon DC editorial will forget their lessons again and writers will leave it. Again.
>>
>>83628961
That was shortform for "let's not argue over meaning/interpretation."
>>
Is there one anon in here seriously trying to argue that Johns isn't a Silver Age fanboy because of when he was born?

You know he's made a career out of sucking Hal's green cock right? You know he recorded commentaries for the Superfriends DVD right? You know every professional move he's taken since being put in a position of power is to return DC to the Silver Age style right?
>>
>>83628929
>>83629013

>Semantics: I'm dismissing your argument because I'm wrong
>>
>>83629065
Superfriends started in the bronze age and Hal Jordan still existed in the 70s and 80s. I've read silver age comics and Waid, Morrison, and Johns. I can see the silver age influence in the first two, but not Johns. He writes edgier bronze age stories.
>>
>>83629065
Hal was GL in the Bronze Age too and Superfriends aired during the Bronze Age. Also, Geoff's favorite Flash is actually Wally because he started reading around CoIE.

The issue is, most people don't actually think of "The Bronze Age" as a THING because it has all the same characters and continuity as the Silver, most people think "Golden, Silver, Post-Crisis, Modern"
>>
>>83618817
>He says that and yet the x-books were the best selling comics of the 90s

It was constantly bleeding readers and Harras didn't do anything because even if it was losing readers it was still the highest seller. There's a reason that Scott Lobdell was given the fucking boot and replaced with Morrison when new management came in
>>
>>83630784
>There's a reason that Scott Lobdell was given the fucking boot and replaced with Morrison when new management came in
Lobdell was only brought in temporarily for Eve of Destruction to tie up loose ends. The guy who got "replaced" was Chris Claremont, who got moved to X-Treme X-Men. Marvel wanted Morrison to write Spider-Man, but he didn't really have any ideas for it, so he submitted a great X-Men pitch and got moved there.
>>
>>83618811
Not everyone.
>>
>>83618067
What??!

Johns:
>2nd best Flash run, expanded on Waid's mythos
>based Earth-22 Supes
>wrote the last good arc of JLA until Forever Evil which he also worte
>used a similar Silver Age basis for Superman's origin
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.