[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Painfully mediocre writers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3
File: 732_Mark_Waid_2004.jpg (86 KB, 732x503) Image search: [Google]
732_Mark_Waid_2004.jpg
86 KB, 732x503
Mark Waid
>>
>>83614110
>it's a Geoff Johns fan thread
>>
>>83614110
Dan Abnett
>>
>>83614252
His DD run petered out after #25
>>
>>83614252
Geoff Johns is in the same category
>>
>>83614284
His Hulk was bad, Shield was bad, Avengers is bad.

Black Widow is decent but that's being co written by Samnee
>>
Grant Morrison, the one trick pony

>what if people in comic books were real
>what if comic book characters knew they were in a comic
>what if comic book characters were just another universe were and the comic was the portal
>what if this character was really comic booky and I made reference to the fact that he is a comic book character
>>
>>83614328
Black Widow also hasn't really gone anywhere yet. Still plenty of time to screw it up.
>>
>>83614378
What if I stuck my penis in your butt, faggot?
>>
>>83614455
Then I still wouldn't be as butthurt as you.
>>
>>83614328
imo His Avengers would be a lot better if they tossed Sam, Jane, Vision, and Tony out and added a bunch of other teens heroes with Kamala, Sam, and Miles and made it New Young Avenger.s
>>
Grant Morrison
>>
>>83614110
Waid, Pak, Gage, Yost, Abnett, Soule, Taylor, Zub, Tomasi, Jurgens, Tieri
>>
>>83614110
This man gave me Chain Lightning and JLA: Year One. I will speak no ill of him.
>>
Len Wein
>>
>>83614110

Waid isn't mediocre he's shit.
>>
>>83614603
JLA Year One sucked.
>>
>>83614691
>2016
>having shit taste
I SHIGGY DIGGY
>>
>>83614770
I know right? how can anyone like that steaming pile of shit.
>>
Snyder
Johns
Waid
Rucka
Robinson
Fraction
Kot
Tynion
Edmondson
>>
>>83614378
>one trick pony
>lists four tricks
Can't explain that.
>>
>>83614378
The vast majority of people who hate Grant Morrison are fucking plebs. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>83614927
Or they are the Gentry trying to get us not to believe his gospel.
>>
Neil Gaiman
>>
>>83614972
Sheeeiiit..
>>
>>83614328
>>83614284
So you mean its a
>writer who's great at DC but crap at Marvel
thread
>>
There's alot of contrarian/plebs in this thread
>>
>>83614110
he looks like how I imagine Boco looks

>>83614657
that's the joke
>>
>>83615220
Writing in DC's shallow talent pool always makes you comparatively better.
>>
>>83614904
Do you see any possible similarity between the different tricks, pray tell?

>>83614927
The vast majority of people who like Grant Morrison are plebs. Prove me wrong. Do you see how idiotic that sounds. No evidence on a forum such as this could ever come close to presenting anything worthwhile, and even if it were to happen, it would just be dismissed by "yeah, but still the VAST MAJORITY are idiots anyway." Talk about what makes him great in your eyes instead of acting this defensively.

Also
>MEDIOCRE writers thread
>You must hate him and you're a pleb!

Only on /co/.
>>
>>83615324
autism
>>
>>83615324
>Do you see how idiotic that sounds. No evidence on a forum such as this could ever come close to presenting anything worthwhile, and even if it were to happen, it would just be dismissed by "yeah, but still the VAST MAJORITY are idiots anyway." Talk about what makes him great in your eyes instead of acting this defensively.
Morrison is great because his works are densely layered and have an intricate, non-linear structure to them, with references to mythology, philosophy, classical literature, and obscure comic books scattered throughout that do not feel forced, but feel like an intrinsic part of whatever he's doing. He also generally writes characters really quite well and has a way with dialogue.

There, you happy?

>>You must hate him and you're a pleb!
In fairness, people who hate Morrison frequently fail to pick up important aspects of his works and don't seem to be able to wrap their minds around what he's doing. That's not the case ALL the time, but it very frequently is.
>>
More like painfully mediocre opinions
>>
Almost all comic book writers who didn't start as artists are dog shit.
>>
>>83614378
Nothing wrong with writing with a particular theme in mind. In terms of cape comics, Morrison has written a lot of different sub genres. His Multiversity is a good example of his varied work, where he wrote a classic children's book to a pulp book to a political conspiracy. Compare that to writers like Bendis, Johns or Lemire who can't excel in more than one sub genre.
>>
>>83615614
This is also true
>>
>>83614110
Morrison.
He can't write good characters or good plots so he revolves around METAgimmicks and AREN'T COMICS CRAYZ? *wink wink* moments
>>
Ewing
>>
>>83615739
>He can't write good characters or good plots so he revolves around METAgimmicks

Animal Man is so frustrating because the writing in it is solid all the way until Morrison shows up as God to explain why bad things happen to fictional characters. Compared to the cast from Doom Patrol, which was just weirdness on top of weirdness so the character never seemed that different form their threats, Buddy and his family felt like real people

Worse it comes across like he's spelling out some profound truth, it's just pretentious. Everything in the ending was already covered in The Coyote Gospel
>>
>>83614110
Garth Ennis.
>>
>>83615859
Deus Ex Machina is the greatest issue of all comics tho.
>>
>>83615324
>>83615464
>Morrison is a one trick pony

He sure does love his panentheism and mysticism, but I've found he can do more than one story. Doom Patrol was not Animal Man was not Final Crisis was not We3 was not The Invisibles was not Multiversity was not The Filth. They had different tones and themes and characters, even if they all have commonalities.

You could say for instance that WE3 is like Animal Man because it has a pro-animal rights message and a pro "be nice to things weaker than yourself" message, but beyond that they're entirely different beasts.
>>
>>83614110
They're all mediocre that's why they write comics. I they were good they would get a real job
>>
>>83615859
>So that the characters never seemed that different from their threats.

I actually found the Doom Patrol to be some of his most human characters. They're all horribly, beautifully damaged people with identity issues. And they all cover it up in different ways. Cliff plays the unflappable down to Earth Ben Grimm but he's worried if he or his friends are at all like their previous incarnations. I loved that he never stopped believing that Rebis was the same Negative Man that he knew. Rebis acts cold and aloof but is afraid because he doesn't know what the hell he is. Robin has her multiple personalities.

Morrison DP is in my opinion one of the most well-developed super hero teams of all time in terms of theme and character development. And they got a happy ending at the end of the run, something that almost never happens to super hero teams.
>>
>>83614110
>>83614252

At least they used to be good. Fuckin Flash curse.
>>
How come everyone forgets Seaguy when talkin' bout Morrison?
>>
>>83616134
I liked the ending more than animal man. It was a happy ending for the characters, but bitter sweet for readers. Turning the last few pages was emotional.
>>
>>83615926
He's good with a good editor that can keep him under control. His black comedy tends to be juvenile, but he's capable of legitimate pathos when properly controlled. His 616 Punisher was meh, but his MAX Punisher was GOAT.
>>
>>83616178
No, they've always been fan writers
>>
Geoff Johns is the king of mediocrity and cereal.
>>
>>83616009
Thank you. Beyond all the craziness, he has a fairly good range.
>>
>>83616215
>His 616 Punisher was meh, but his MAX Punisher was GOAT

I feel the opposite. MAX was way to grim and serious, Welcome Back Frank and Knights were filled with some really great humor like Frank and Spider-man's " team-up" or Frank just shooting Wolverine for fun because he knows it won't damage him
>>
>>83614378
>classic DC used comics within comics as a cornerstone of their hokey Silver Age multiverse
>Earth-Prime was our world

Lurk more, faggot.
>>
>>83614561
Pretty much this. They all have good stuff from time to time, but not great.
>>
>>83614281
>>83614252
>>83614110
Lol my favourite three writers are the first three in the thread.
>>
>>83614378

I dont see any of those "gimmicks" in his x-men run.
>>
File: a97c8e_4943996.jpg (99 KB, 1300x892) Image search: [Google]
a97c8e_4943996.jpg
99 KB, 1300x892
>>83614110
>>
>>83614110
Scott Lobdell
>>
>>83614110
Paul Dini
>>
>>83615247
But we know how Boco looks
You're not that wrong
>>
>>83614561
I can cherrypick at least one good comic from every one of them except for Yost, Zub and Tieri.
Fuck those guys.
>>
>>83614110
Nothing "mediocre" about Waid. He's either awesome of shit. Not much middle ground with him actually.
>>
>>83618953
>Yost
Didn't like Scarlet Spider?
>>
File: 250px-Birthright01cover.jpg (43 KB, 250x386) Image search: [Google]
250px-Birthright01cover.jpg
43 KB, 250x386
>>83614110
Where did all of the Waid hate come from? I've never loved his writing but aside from some whiny social media presence he's had some decent stuff like his Flash run and shit like Birthright. This just seems to me like one of those things where he did one really bad thing and now /co/ hates him retroactively. I honestly wish to know what happened as I'm not caught up Waid's history.
>>
>>83622847
it is pretty much just the twitter stuff and some lackluster recent runs
>>
>>83615220
His Cap was good in the 90s.
>>
>>83622878
What's he done recently? I thought he was mostly done with comics.
>>
>>83622945
Hulk
Daredevil (just went off a cliff after #25)
SHIELD
Avengers

all of them disappointing
>>
>>83622990
Right he did do Hulk, didn't he? I don't think it was bad, just nothing special. We're people just disappointing it wasn't better than that?
>>
>>83623061
were*
>>
>>83614110

Remember, anon. Start threads about things you like, not things you hate.
>>
>>83615464
>He also generally writes characters really quite well and has a way with dialogue.
I'll give you the first bit but I think at this point you stopped talking about Morrison.
>>
>>83623061
I started okay but it progressively got worse
>>
>>83614328
The only good thing about a Black Widow is the art
>>
>>83614110
>the man who wrote crazy captain marvel

FUCK
YOU
>>
>>83615005
This

American Gods was shit and I'm sure he was the reason why I didn't enjoy Good Omens as much as PTerry's other work
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.