[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whose take on the Joker do you side with, Moore's or Mi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: TKJ DKR.jpg (1 MB, 1866x1401) Image search: [Google]
TKJ DKR.jpg
1 MB, 1866x1401
Whose take on the Joker do you side with, Moore's or Miller's?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/07/frank-miller-and-john-romita-jr-discuss-the-death-of-jason-todd-in-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-the-last-crusade

IGN: [Laughs] Well, I meant from the artist's point of view.

Miller: Alan Moore and I once had about a six-hour argument about the Joker, back when he did comic books -- because he believed that the Batman and Joker were almost parallels that were separated at birth. Alan had a much more, a sort of attitude of moral relativism about what was good and what was evil. I took a much more arched view, because I believe that the Joker is not so much insane as satanic. He's evil incarnate, and he's so malicious that it goes beyond anything we could understand. That's what's so terrifying about him, is that he simply wants to do as much harm and damage as he possibly can.

IGN: That's a fascinating take on the Joker, that he's not crazy but satanic.

Miller: Well, it made for a good argument between me and Alan. You know, someone who is completely and absolutely insane wouldn't be as effective, if you ask me. I believe that people who are absolutely crazy, with very rare exceptions, don't get very far in life. They do kill people and so on -- I mean, there are people who are absolutely malevolent and insane but somehow capable of uncanny evil, obviously Hitler, Joseph Stalin, like that. But they are exceedingly rare, and usually the crazy ones get caught. But the truly evil ones can go on for a long time.
>>
Even Moore rechanted the parallels between Batman and Joker, because he found he put too much thought into their methodology
>>
They're both shit.

"Insane" is such a useless description. It's a pathetic excuse to have a character that can do whatever you want hem to do without having to make sense. All right, so you've got a villain who's got something wrong with their head. That's fine. But "insane" just doesn't mean anything. Might as well go with "lolrandom" as a description of their character. Are they psychopathic? Schizophrenic? Psychotic? Do they suffer from manic depression? Do they simply lack empathy? And so fucking forth. Going "well yeah he's insane so of course he does crazy shit" is entirely meaningless.

"Satanic" is pretty much the same deal except edgier, unambiguously "evil" for no reason at all, and with a completely pointless religious undertone.

I'm not saying the joker of all people should have a coherent and realistic psych profile that informs his actions, but arguing about what exactly is wrong with his is completely fucking dumb, and doubly so when you're just throwing around meaningless terms because you think they sound cool.
>>
>>83609380
What's your suggestion wise guy?
>>
>>83609151
I prefer Miller's. I like when the Joker is a force of nature, a horrible storm that just comes and goes. We try to understand it, and even have those who "specialize" it, but so much of it can't be understood.
>>
>>83609444
Simple. Don't try to explain it.

You can have characters call him "crazy" or "insane" or "satanic" or what the fuck ever in-universe, because those are simply words people use, but don't go waste breath about which one is more correct and then brag about it online, when they're all meaningless anyway and the distinction is entirely arbitrary.
>>
>>83609303
So does that mean Miller won the argument?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.