[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rotoscoping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1461839064554.jpg (164 KB, 1076x1306) Image search: [Google]
1461839064554.jpg
164 KB, 1076x1306
So, having just watched Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly, I'm interested in more examples of rotoscoping. I'm not sure if I should ask about it here or on /tv/, because it's a middle ground. If this is the right board-- Where can I find more? This shit's dope as hell, and makes up for crappy no-name actors.

Also, does anyone else want to see the technique applied to a superhero film? I mean, Marvel and DC's cinematic universes both have their own established styles, so it probably wouldn't fit for either of them, but what if, say, Transmetropolitan got picked up for a movie?
>>
File: 1462450643361.jpg (66 KB, 452x640) Image search: [Google]
1462450643361.jpg
66 KB, 452x640
>>83599858
rotoscoping IS an animation technique, you crumbus
>>
>Walking Life
Don't you mean The Walking Dead?
>>
>>83599858
>Where can I find more?

Ralph Bakshi got big into rotoscoping in the late 70s and early 80s. You might want to check

>Lord of the Rings
>American Pop
>Fire & Ice

The actual films are of debatable quality (particularly his LOTR), but you said you were into the aesthetic technique, not the storytelling or characters. American Pop is genuinely a good drama, though, and might as well be a live action period piece. At least give that one a shot.
>>
>>83599858
Heavy Metal had a pretty sick rotoscoped flight scene. I don't think they used that technique at any other point in the movie though..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqa_oiHw5g

>>83601626
Seconding this guy. American Pop was a great movie.
>>
L'illusioniste
>>
>>83599858
Oh shit! I remember those commercials! The dog was always trying to sell the recipe.
>>
>>83600487
I'm not disagreeing! But mods are fucking weird, and it can also said to be a post production editing technique equally as truthfully! There's a reason I posted it here before /tv/, after all.

>>83600499
No, Waking Life is some crazy ass pop-philosophy dream wankery. Cool visuals and a couple of monologues that are worth watching it for.

>>83601626
>>83601775
>>83601784
Thanks, wise anons! Much appreciated!

>>83601796
That dog was a fucking fixer, man. I want that dog in my Shadowrun crew.
>>
Was the scene in Batman (1989) where he's on the building looking down at the street, then walks away rotoscoped?
>>
>>83601626
Don Bluth did a lot of Rotoscoping too. An American Tail had it all over the place.
>>
>>83599858
Rotoscoping is shit. It's nothing but a shortcut and always looks awful.
>>
>>83604391
Betty boop. Popeye. Superman. Snow white. Hoppity goes to town. Sleeping beauty........
>>
>>83599858
fucking asshole dog always trying to sell the secret recipe. why? how does it benefit him? he'd lose his fortune
>>
>>83604669
The rotoscoping in those looks worse than the original animations in every instance. It was literally only done to save time and money.
>>
>>83604391
Thank you.
>>
>>83604976
Dogs don't live long, man. He wants to cash out and get that good dog livin' while he's still, well, alive.
>>
Disney did it in his first movies.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.