[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bill Waterson must be George Carlin of comics. Can somebody explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
Bill Waterson must be George Carlin of comics. Can somebody explain why this cunt is so revered for his smug contrarianism? If he were born in our generation he probably would have never even taken up art in the first place; he'd be too busy correcting people on Reddit.
>>
>>83595715
file name... damn
Personally I like his stuff and I think it holds up, today.
Also pretty much 100% of success stories boil down to being at the right place at the right time
>>
>>83595715
He was passionate about his work and stuck to his principles. He also stays away from the Internet. I wish I could be half the man he is.
>>
>>83595715
For one he's actually good so the Carlin comparison is inaccurate and the concept of an author that wanted nothing to do with whatever merchandising scheme the big wigs come up with is a nice change of pace. He set out to make a story with a boy and his tiger and finished it at that,

>If he were born in our generation he probably would have never even taken up art in the first place; he'd be too busy correcting people on Reddit

Oh, this is b8
>>
>>83595715
Pretty sure you're b8ing but I'll bite. Yeah he could be pretty smug but not in a Carlin kind of way. There's no sense of contempt or even arrogance in C&H. And ignoring the writing, the art is just fantastic on a technical level. It is perfect comic strip art in my opinion. I don't think anybody understood how to draw a comic strip as well as Watterson, not before and not since (definitely not any syndicated strip and not any webcomic I've seen).
>>
What choice would you have made, OP?

I would have chosen integrity
>>
>>83596132
Would have taken the money, regretted what I had done later, then slashed my wrists in my gold Jacuzzi surrounded by used whores and cocaine
>>
File: brainproblems.png (22 KB, 623x371) Image search: [Google]
brainproblems.png
22 KB, 623x371
>>83595715
>smug contrarianism

Wait, integrity is contrarian?
>>
>>83596265
I wouldn't say contrarian, just extremely rare
>>
>>83595715
>If he were born in our generation he probably would have never even taken up art in the first place; he'd be too busy correcting people on Reddit.

On point. OP roasting the fuck outta niggas. Shee-it.
>>
File: Nerd[1].png (441 KB, 588x350) Image search: [Google]
Nerd[1].png
441 KB, 588x350
>>83596558
Have some self respect
>>
>>83596265
Millenials seem to think so.
>>
>>83596558
Hey guys, I found OP!
>>
>>83595715
I like Waterson and Carlin. They don't have much in comon.
>>
>>83596633
Post a pic of your birth certificate to prove you're not one
>>
>>83595976
>Carlin not a good comedian
Bet you're a Louis CK fan.
>>
I think Calvin and Hobbes raised an entire generation of "Well, actually..." kids
>>
>>83596901
>liking Louis CucK
Nope, both are the same vein of bullshit 'if I pretend to be disinterested and hedonistic enough I'll be funny' race to the bottom of comedy that has been happening for years.
>>
>>83597385
>Carlin
>disinterested
What?
>>
"Selling out" (different from "Selling Art") isn't something that you just wake up one day and decide to do. Jim Davis didn't just decide all at once to farm out his comic to ghost writers and artists and marketing. It's a gradual thing. Someone says" want to do X?" and the artist is like "X would make my life easier because it would give me time/money to spend on myself or my family, so yea. Let's make merch/hire writers/hire artists/sell movie rights." And one day they wake up and there's a Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.

Which isn't to say that I think Davis or Schultz are bad or weak for making money with their property. They have a right to. But the way Peanuts was commercialized kinda betrays, say, the Charlie Brown Christmas Special (although that featured heavy Coca-Cola advertising in the original airing that was later cut because people had standards about marketing to kids. So it kinda betrayed itself, too.)

I guess Bill Watterson is beloved because his comics weren't the kind of cheap topical jokes other cartoonists did, and because he was committed to making some really great comics in the confines of a restricted medium, and stuck to what was important about his work and fought to keep it pure, and when he had no more, he walked away instead of letting it become a shuffling zombie between the margins of Marmaduke and Cathy. He had a clear vision and the integrity to stick with it instead of taking the easier career path.

TL;DR: he has street cred
>>
"I remember hearing about how Bill Watterson attended a comic convention and announced beforehand that he would not sign any autographs or talk to the press and I could never understand that attitude. Like it or not, this is a commercial industry we're in and it carries certain obligations. If you want to be a 'serious' art, go take up painting or something."

-- Charles Schulz
>>
>>83596121
Also unlike Carlin, he mostly stayed out of politics beyond a few bits of environmentalist commentary.
>>
>>83595715
>he's stuck up
>smug
>contrarian cunt
He never comes out of his cave and he doesn't actually interact with the public that much
The only reason you think of him that way is because you've been programmed to want to make as much money as possible and think lowly of people who don't share that belief
There's no reason for you to dislike him, he's not actively shitting on people who DO go after tons of revenue, he's just not that interested
>>
>>83597385
>stand up comedy
>ever anywhere but the absolute marinas trench bottom
It's all shit unless you actually go to a club and get drunk and then it's all good. People who watch recorded stand up comedy are sad, sad people
>>
>>83596632
the fuck is wrong with you nigga?
>>
>>83595715

If he were born today he would live in a world that didn't have Calvin and Hobbes and they would be involved in different activities in the strip.

That's it.

You talk about his work, as if it only has relevance in the past, when his work influenced the present state of illustrations and storytelling in strips.

It came at the right time, not because society hadn't seen enough and appreciated it in lack of other things, but because right fucking now, no one gives a shit about newspaper comic strips. It would be a work dealing with other issues, making homage to what that Watering would have been exposed to.

He is not revered for contrarianism. And you will not be either.
>>
>>83598208
Didn't George Carlin say he never voted again after McGovern got pasted?
>>
>>83597385
There's no funny stand-up comedy anymore. The Daily Show singlehanded redefined what the public thinks "comedy" is now and all anyone does anymore is state their political opinions and say random sexual. No one even tells jokes anymore.
>>
>>83598276
>singlehandedly
>when colbert exists
Cmon son
>>
>>83598240
Yeah but really, the guy was a staunchly committed far left fedora. Actually, GC's anti-religion rants are lulzy because much like Richard Dawkins, it's as if he'd never actually met anyone who attended church and was so uninformed on the thing he was attacking that he did nothing but burn strawmen.

Does this come off as a guy who knows jack-all about Christian theology?
>>
>this thread
>these idiots bashing Watterson for beign "contrarian"

goodbye, /co/. It was okay while it lasted.
>>
>>83598334
>, it's as if he'd never actually met anyone who attended church and was so uninformed on the thing he was attacking that he did nothing but burn strawmen.
As someone who was forced into Catholicism including all boys Catholic high school, you are the one who's never met someone who's been to church, or you are just an assmad Christfag.
>>
I tell you this, he missed out on a big opportunity to sell Susie Derkins dakimakuras.
>>
>>83598381
>worshiping a guy in a pointy hat
>Christianity
Pick uno.
>>
>>83598373
How is it not contrarian as fuck to go to a convention and then do none of the things that an artist is supposed to do when they attend a convention
No one here is shitting on the comic, just the man
>>
>>83598355
>Does this come off as a guy who knows jack-all about Christian theology?
Sounds accurate to me.
>>
>>83598355

Well that quote doesn't take forgiveness/salvation into consideration. But in Christian theology you can still go to Hell if you fail to obtain said salvation, and Christians will say God loves you even as you fail his test and are damned.

It's accurate but exaggerated because it's a god damn comedy routine.
>>
>>83595715
Imagine how Jewish OP is, to be mad that someone isn't selling out for money.
>>
>>83598404
>being a heretic
>>
>>83598426
>Sounds accurate to me

You never read St. Augustine and Thomas of Aquinas, did you.
>>
>>83598443
>Thomas "Circular Logic" Aqiunas
>worth reading
Hahaha holy shit
>>
>>83598381
Actually I'm more of a pantheist...
>>
File: AllYouNeedToKnowAboutSohmer.gif (462 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
AllYouNeedToKnowAboutSohmer.gif
462 KB, 1000x1000
I recognize that """"""opinion""""""
>>
Actually >>83598355 is pretty wrong and I never understood where this idea came from that sinners are cast into a lake of fire forever when that's only supposed to happen to Satan and his minions after the Final Judgement.
>>
>>83598355
The difference with Dawkins is that Carlin has great delivery. His material got progressively worse since the 70s but he's always had perfect delivery.
>>
>>83598516
Well, not the last years of his life when he was just an angry, hamburger-tossing old guy.
>>
>>83598470
>smurf fight club
>not just "smurf club"
>>
>a bloo bloo where is my Calvin & Hobbes cartoon Watterson you hack!
I am glad he retired.
>>
>>83598527
Nah. Even in his angry old man yelling at clouds phase his delivery was the only thing that made him watchable. That never really went away, only his writing did.
>>
>>83598487
The bible literally states this multiple times. I'm not sure what kind of church you've attended.
>>
>>83595715

> contrarianism

I don't think that word means what you think it means
>>
>>83598176

Except in the end, Watterson seemed to do just fine and make plenty of money without the hassle of dealing with idiot journalists

So really who was right in the end
>>
>>83598903
The guy who was such a pussy he couldn't talk to journalists and likely lived in constant anxiety did not win
Reckuses are not well adjusted and happy people
>>
>>83598975
I don't think you know what a recluse is.
>>
>>83598975
honestly, who WANTS to talk to journalists?
>>
>>83599012
I think you're moving the goal posts
>>
>>83599023
This is the real question
>>
>>83598226
There's plenty of good stand-up. Patton Oswalt and Demetri Martin come to mind.
>>
>>83598176
I can understand not talking to the press, but why not sign autographs? That doesn't have to be a commercial thing, it might just be people who really like his works.
>>
This thread is bait you idiots
>>
>>83598422
If you shit on the man, you shit on the comic. Nobody great gets where he is by pretending.

It takes work and good, honest people put their souls in their work. Watterson was one of them.

He doesn't have an obligation to you. He doesn't have to sign your damn posters or sell t-shirts or toys. He created Calvin adn Hobbes as a comic strip and it remains as it is. It's a matter of integrity and pride in one's own work, and not being a sellout.

This is something almost no one understands now

>queue the insults
>>
>>83599092
He saw that some people somd them so he got fully triggered
>>
>>83598975

> The only way you can actually win with journalists is to give into their demands
> If you live your life avoiding the public eye you're a recluse

You have to be retarded to actually believe this.
>>
>>83598355
As far as religion goes, Carlin paints a pretty accurate (if hyperbolic) reflection of my experience growing up in the South.
>>
>>83599041
What fucking goalposts, I'm just telling you not talking to journalists doesn't make you a recluse.
>>
>>83599226
>journalists have "demands"
Oh I see why you think Watterson is right in this now.
>>
>>83599298
That he was the "winner" in this situation.
>>
>>83599336

Maybe "demands" is the wrong word. But they certainly have expectations that anyone even remotely famous is going to answer their questions. And they have a whopping sense of entitlement that lets them justify stalking, harassment and mockery when the person doesn't really feel like talking to them.
>>
>>83599351

> Got tons of money
> Lived exactly as he wanted

sounds like a winner to me
>>
>>83599265
>tips fedora
>>
>>83599351
You haven't demonstrated otherwise either, just assumed that since he didn't talk to journalists he must have been a recluse and thus unhappy.
I didn't move the goalposts I contradicted your argument.

I personally don't care, who gives a shit if some dude wants to be a cantankerous ass in his corner, he's really not doing anyone any harm.
Whether that means he "wins", who gives a shit, why would I fucking care if some guy is happy.
>>
>>83599397
>counting getting tons of money as a positive for the man who chimps out at any opportunity to make more money
>>
>>83599515
>>83599515
That's the point though. He made tons of money the way he wanted to
>>
>>83599515

> Sure, he made tons of money. But he didn't make even MORE money by doing things he didn't want to do, so he's a LOSER!

I will pay you ten thousand dollars to record a video of yourself being violently gang-raped by a pack of wolves. Keep in mind that if you refuse you are a loser, according to your own arbitrary definition
>>
>>83598387
I don't think that was so much of a thing when C&H was around.
>>
>>83599070
I'll give you 1/2 of Patton Oswalt.
The correct answer is Mike Birbiglia and Brian Regan.
>>
File: swain.jpg (93 KB, 560x718) Image search: [Google]
swain.jpg
93 KB, 560x718
>>83595715
If Watterson is Reddit, would that make Shulz 4chan?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.