[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-men
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 428x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 428x343
I'm reading Morrison's X-men as per your recommendation /co/. How the hell was Cyclops okay with Magneto joining the X-men during the Utopia era when he killed Jean right in front of him?
>>
Marvel pussied out and made it so it wasn't actually magneto who killed her.
>>
>>83591669
There will be a retcon later so that wasn't actually Magneto. It was Xorn pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn

That's the damage control Marvel ran post Morrison so Magneto could be used again
>>
Retcons my friend
>>
It wasn't Magneto, and Jean would later come back to life again before getting killed by Wolverine.
>>
>>83591763

So Magneto didn't get possessed by sentient LSD, fake his death at Genosha, start a new life in China, create an elaborate lie that he's a mutant with A MINIATURE SUN for a head, persuade the Chinese military to build a prison around him and try and sell him to the U-men in the hope that the X-men will rescue him so he can infiltrate their ranks when the Shi'ar empire tries to kill them? Okay.
>>
>>83591761
>Marvel pussied out

The Magneto things still really confuses me. Morrison always talks about building on the history of characters and he basically commits the worst character assassination in the X-Men since Cyclops walked out on his wife and baby.

As far as I can tell he just didn't like the character
>>
>>83591984
I thought he was tired of Magneto not living up to the villain he was held up as. I don't think he hated him, he just wanted him to do something that earned him the right to sit up with the other big bads.
>>
>>83591937
Yes, he was Xorn all along. Magneto shows up when Xavier holds a funeral for the body he believed to have been Magneto's

In House of M they tried to handwave it and blame it on Scarlet Witch
>>
>>83592063
He was portrayed as a pathetic drug addict that had to make a Brotherhood out of the likes of Beak.

New X-Men turns the mutant metaphor into the young against the old and Magneto is the old terrorist whose ideals don't have a place in the world anymore
>>
>>83591984
Magneto hadn't been the noble revolutionary for a decade at that point. He went over the deep end during asteroid M and stayed there.

Trying to end all human life was how he got Genosha in the first place. Morrison had him continue with the exact same plan he had used in his last battle with the X-men.
>>
>>83592063
He didn't like that Magneto was a terrorist. 9/11 was still fresh and Morrison went full retard with his "a terrorist should never be sympathetic"
>>
>>83591984
Magneto has been a racewar-wanting mass murderer multiple times since the 60's but Claremont kept backpedalling and having Chuck and crew just forgive and accept him over and over again and it makes no goddamn sense.

Morrison just had him do what he does without the apologies and pussyfooting for once.
>>
>>83592200
I know he has been a villain since he gave up teaching the New Mutants. It just feels like an attempt to be the final nail in the coffin for a character
>>
>>83592298
>it makes no goddamn sense
The actual reason was that when he was turned into a baby and then aged up again he was essentially born again and given a second chance by an official court, not just the X-Men.
>>
>>83592282
>9/11 was still
Oh right, easy to forget that since I read New X-Men more than a decade after it came out
>>
>>83592298
>without the apologies and pussyfooting for once

And then he explains it all away with a sentient bacteria so nothing the character did was really their fault. That's hack writing
>>
>>83591669
Morrison's X-Men suck, you shouldn't have read it.
>>
>>83592907
Besides the shitty art it's pretty good up until Planet X, even Morrison thinks he went to far with that

> In hindsight, I think I overdid the world weary a little but, you know, my loved ones were dying all around me while I was working on those issues, so I'm entitled to a little stumble into miseryland
> There's loads of good stuff in Planet X - it's just that miasma of bleakness and futility which hovers over the whole thing.

http://www.popimage.com/content/grant20044.html
>>
>>83592968

The run reached its high point with Riot at Xaviers. Everything else went downhill from there.
>>
File: Xorn-Nxm147.png (241 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
Xorn-Nxm147.png
241 KB, 300x460
>>83591937
You got the timeline a little wrong: the sentient LSD was much later on, the faked Genoshan death was never retconned away but simply moved over to be Magneto-Magneto's canon, and the mini-sun lie would come before he ever moved to China otherwise everyone would have asked him why a westerner was pretending to be Asian.
But overall, you make a dang good point that Morrison's Magneto reveal never made any kind of sense.
How sad is that? As crazy as his writing gets it's rare to see it become total gibberish.
Was that intentional on Morrison's part because he enjoys confusing his readers beyond the point where you can enjoy the comic? Or did he think that later-on screwy dialog between Xorn-Magneto and Xavier about identity was a tip-off to it never having been Magneto? Or was he abusing the comic out of anger that Marvel was going to fire him and one lastminute Magneto bashing was on his to-do list?
>>
>>83591669
Ugh, my trans gf gets triggered everytime I mention she should read New X-men, she loves Jean Grey too much
>>
>>83593118
>Marvel was going to fire him

Him going DC exclusive was a surprise to Quesada. I know editorial tried to convince him not to have Xorn be Magneto and for Magneto the holocaust survivor to not build giant ovens in Manhattan. Probably because they wanted to pull in movie fans and Morrison's Magneto was about as far as you could be form Ian McKellen
>>
File: 250px-Omega_gang_full.jpg (43 KB, 250x352) Image search: [Google]
250px-Omega_gang_full.jpg
43 KB, 250x352
>>83593016
You like "Riot at Xavier's" ?

... *EEEWWWW*
>>
>>83591937
I think the reveal would have gone better if Morrison built to it more. All the rumors about him butting heads with editorial were probably true and likely resulted in him rushing the ending.

I always felt like there should have been another arc between "Assault on Weapon Plus" and "Planet X" that would have made the Magneto reveal make more sense.
>>
>>83593016
Assault on Weapon Plus had some great ideas that could have really expanded the franchise mythos but it felt like they were just in a hurry to get the whole run over with by then.
>>
File: 1461736134523.png (23 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1461736134523.png
23 KB, 256x256
>>83593192
So it was all to his "Morrison plan"?
Damn, I hate him more for that. I always gave him a little slack because I thought he was rushed but if that was all him it's even more a disappointment.

But Magneto was never actually genocidal, even during his crazy terrorist days, he couldn't be because back then he had the raw power and ability to make that happen big-scale on a whim.
Having him suddenly say that the plan all along was "death to all humans" is creating a huge plothole that contradicts his past goals and actions.
>>
>>83591761

I'm normally pretty violently opposed to this type of retcon bullshit, but in this instance I'm in favour of Marvel doing so. Morrison's run was otherwise spectacular and breathed a lot of new life into the X-Men franchise, but man did he ever not "get" Magneto in any meaningful fashion. It seemed so wildly out of character that I was instantly and permanently ready to embrace the idea that it was someone else under that helmet the whole time.
>>
>>83593556
back in the day he wanted to dominate humans, not genocide them
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.