[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If they wanted a female Thor so bad why didn't they just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Thor - Season One.jpg (170 KB, 589x885) Image search: [Google]
Thor - Season One.jpg
170 KB, 589x885
If they wanted a female Thor so bad why didn't they just give Sif a series?
>>
File: prv14263_pg1.jpg (165 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
prv14263_pg1.jpg
165 KB, 900x1366
>>83584194
They did.

Surprise, no one bought it.
>>
>>83584194
Because a strong female hero who has Chemo sounds more empowring than a legit Asgardian Warrior.
>>
>>83584219

Because it was fucking out of character shit.
>>
>>83584194
Not controversial enough
>>
>>83584289
Fuck you nigga it was great.
>>
>>83584329
>>83584219
Storytime?
>>
>>83584219
I liked it, but knowing about it was probably the main problem. Had they pushed her like that Thor book, it would have sold, too.
But at least Sif isn't pushed as a feminist mouthpiece now.
>>
Because no one would buy it. Journey into Mystery was fucking great, but it sold like shit. The casuals love Thor, they barely know Sif exists.
>>
>>83584390
I loved that we got some Gunnhild spotlight in there, too.
There are just far too many forgotten characters lying around.
>>
>>83584219
They did a Red She-Hulk solo at the same time and showed it even less love.

JiM at least got an ad for it's second arc in a few books.
>>
Would /co/ have been less triggered if it was Sif that became Thor and wielded the hammer? Or Valkyrie?
>>
File: mad_Azula.jpg (33 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
mad_Azula.jpg
33 KB, 512x384
>>83584390
>Journey into Mystery was fucking great, but it sold like shit.

All people want is Spider-Man and Batman! Deadpool and Harley Quinn! It's not fair! IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR, DAMMIT!
>>
>>83584686
If it was a written the same way, probably, but that seems intrinsically impossible in Sif's case.
>>
>>83584686
The setup would be less stupid than Jane and her cancer, but I have to imagine the writing still would have been terrible.

I still say it should have been Roz.
And that they shouldn't have dragged out the reveal for eight issues.
>>
Cause Sif had a series that sold like shit and Thor has been a hit
>>
>>83584364
How could they have pushed more it aside from calling it Thor?

That's how they push things.
>>
>>83584862
Thor got an announcement on TV, a bunch of variants, tons of ads in other books, and was hyped on tons of sites.
>>
>>83584833
Alright then, tough guy. How would you have cured Jane Foster's cancer then?
>>
>>83585009
Chemo

Or just let her die with dignity, because who cares about Jane Foster?
Even now her popularity has nothing to do with being Jane. Nobody gives a fuck about her personality or past.
They care about "Female Thor."
>>
>>83585108
>who cares about Jane Foster?

Thor?
>>
>>83584686
Aside from the shittiness of the book we got, there were a few options for the Thor run.

> the obvious choices (Asgardian warriors)
> worthy characters in proximity to Thor
> worthy heroes unconnected to Thor
> a new character as a legacy (think Ms. Marvel)
> the dark horses ( have been around for a long time but never had a chance to shine)
> or Jane Foster, the bland love interest fans don't care for and who refuses cancer treatment on the basis of ass-backwards logic, while still representing Earth in the Ten Realms.

I could bitch on about how stupid that cancer thing is, but I'll stop here.
>>
>It's a /co/ pretends comic book readers actually care about well written female superheroes episode
>>
Because "THOR" sells, not "SIF". Same reason any franchise gets a sequel or reboot, remake, spinoff, etc.

Branding and Marketing are the strongest forces in media.
>>
They did and no one bought it
>>
File: 1258867454990.jpg (50 KB, 743x760) Image search: [Google]
1258867454990.jpg
50 KB, 743x760
>>83584560
>"Lots of girls read comics! We need more stories with women in the lead!"
>They are made
>Nobody reads them
>Whor announced
>Rides purely off Thor's fame and only got press because of the gender swap of a popular Male superhero
>feminists claim victory
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.