[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT tropes you hate in cartoons. Mine is characters whos life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_ljyv6bKSau1qgcyhl.jpg (40 KB, 400x307) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ljyv6bKSau1qgcyhl.jpg
40 KB, 400x307
ITT tropes you hate in cartoons.

Mine is characters whos life is terrible just for the sake of humor and will never be happy because of it. Sure he will win once or twice but in the long haul. These types of characters just make me sad.
>>
>>83577166
Cat from catdog

I hate the show because the shit cat goes through reminds me too much of my life
>>
>>83577166
Get a sense of humor. Squidward's misery in the first few seasons is hilarious.
>>
>>83577166
Shut the fuck up, Squidward. Your life isn't miserable because of Spongebob, your life is miserable because you've settled for working in a burger joint for the rest of your days.
>>
File: 1454664240440.png (491 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454664240440.png
491 KB, 640x480
Nickelodeon has always had a throbbing erection for this trope, and I could never understand why.
I haven't seen Rocko's Modern Life in ages, but I remember Rocko was rarely ever happy for more than five seconds.
>>
Status Quo is God. Cartoons that never evolve in a meaningful way are the worst.
>>
>>83577166
In order for children to be protagonists and save the day, adults have to be pants on head retarded and/or transparent so that the children can see through their facade and solve all the clues.
>>
Any show where most of the conflict is caused by the characters being dumbshits.

I'm not talking about plotlines where the character makes a genuine mistake and then fixes it and learns from the mistake. I'm talking about when a main character does something so stupid that a 5 year old would be going "wtf is this idiot doing" and they spend the rest of the episode making it worse.
>>
>>83577166
It's not entirely SpongeBob and Patrick's fault tho. Squidward's misery is also a result of his own arrogance.
>>
>>83577222
It worked because he deserved it. His misery resulted from his behavior. Later on he just gets tortured because he exists, and it kills the whole joke.
>>
File: 1461482028818.jpg (22 KB, 272x285) Image search: [Google]
1461482028818.jpg
22 KB, 272x285
>you saved my life, to repay you I'll be your slave
>you don't have to do that
>I'll do it anyway
>okay you're not helping at all, trying to help me is only making shit worse
>in that case I'll just try harder and become even more up in your business
>this is even worse please stop
>nope, you saved my life so I have to do this for you
>okay in that case I'll just put myself in danger, and then when you save my life it will be repayed
>>
>>83580668
Then the trope you hate is flanderization
>>
>>83577166
No, that's what Squidward was flanderized into being. The entire point of Squidward's character is that he's capable of being as happy as SpongeBob, but he chooses not to be. He is the cause of his own misery.

>>83577236
Nah, there's literally nothing else he can do. Remember when he quit and ended up homeless?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.