[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the current Doctor Fate run any good? I'm kind of floating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
Is the current Doctor Fate run any good? I'm kind of floating back towards DC lately and I want to get into their magic stuff.
>>
It drags along at times but when it doesn't it's pretty cool.

I'm not sure how good of an introduction to their magic stuff it would be though, since it's pretty self contained.
>>
It's okay. Levitz advances the plot painfully slow but the art's pretty and the main character is very likeable.
>>
>>83566388
Slow as balls.
>>
>>83566415
>>83566406
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Is there anything you guys think WOULD be a good introduction to the magic stuff outside of Fate?
>>
>>83566537
Shadowpact.
>>
>>83566567
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks
>>
>>83566672
I'm gonna need you to take your gatekeeping bullshit and shove it waaaaaaaay up your butthole, Morty.
>>
Someone is salty their Zootopia furfag thread was bumped off the board. Congrats OP.
>>
>>83566999

you know there's nothing wrong with helping people that are new and interested in comics,
>>
>>83567256
>muh exclusive club

Christ dude get over yourself
>>
>>83567278
>actually thinking people give a shit about comics
Get out of your imaginary candyland.
>>
I like it enough, reads better in trades.

A better intro to DC's Magic side however would be Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman. The whole story is a journey through every corner of magic in the DCU.
>>
File: phstr_cv5_02.jpg (158 KB, 631x950) Image search: [Google]
phstr_cv5_02.jpg
158 KB, 631x950
>>83566388
There's barely any "magick" stuff in it. Writin is subpar and hyper decompressed. Art is great though.

If you're looking for recent DC magic titles that were good Constantine: The Hellblazer and Phantom Stranger were great(PS starts up a bit meh but it gets a writer change early and becomes fantastic)
>>
>>83567314
>Gaiman
Look, I hate casuals as much as anyone, but outright trolling the little bastards helps no one.
>>
>>83567334
Cool, I was interested in Phantom Stranger so I'll definitely give that a look. Constantine as well

>>83567314
I'm not huge into Gaiman but there's no harm in trying it, thanks
>>
>>83566550
>>83566672
>>83566999
>>83567256
This isn't /a/, comics aren't as accessible and e encouraging new readers is harmless.
>>
>>83567355

Make sure it's Constantine the hellblazer and not just new 52 Constantine.

Alternatively, old Vertigo Hellblazer.
>>
>>83567481
Just hide the thread faggot and quit shitting it up.
>>
>>83567481
You should return to /a/ if you like it so much.
>>
>>83567481
I'd understand if this was about whatever Bat book, but at least the OP had the taste to pick a character like Dr Fate. I'll gladly take that over another /tv/ or cartoon thread
>>
>>83566388

I enjoy it, but it does drag on. It's one of those books where nothing is wrong with it, but it needs that 1 extra spark.

It's like DC version of Ms Marvel
>>
>>83567574
That actually tells me a lot, thanks. I'll maybe pick up first couple of issues and if I'm feeling it I'll grab the trades like one other guy suggested
Was Justice League: Dark worth reading? Or if not, Deadman's solo stuff?
>>
>>83567878
calm down bro we were all new to comics once and with comics its not easy to find good starting points plus dr fate is underrated so im happy people are interested in him
>>
File: You're serious.gif (3 MB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
You're serious.gif
3 MB, 264x240
>>83567481
>It should be.
>>
>>83568386
>And we all got into them on our own, without other people influencing our opinions
You what?
>>
>>83568386
I have a very serious question.

Are you autistic?
>>
>>83568386
You must be great at parties huh
>>
File: zatanna.jpg (240 KB, 1202x1047) Image search: [Google]
zatanna.jpg
240 KB, 1202x1047
>>83568890
He does this every single time a rec thread pops up, so probably
>>
>>83569107
It's not like people are ever introduced to comics by people they know, right? And asking /co/ couldn't possibly be the same method, just on a larger scale, right?
>>
>>83569059

Someone should update this with dini's bloodspell.
>>
>>83567546
/co/ has always been this way. That's why /co/ is love. Go back to /a/
>>
File: cause I say so.jpg (51 KB, 552x442) Image search: [Google]
cause I say so.jpg
51 KB, 552x442
>>83568386
>None of these casual are interested in Dr. Fate beyond the name they can spout to make all their other fake gook friends think they're cool.
>>
File: u wut m8.jpg (49 KB, 292x409) Image search: [Google]
u wut m8.jpg
49 KB, 292x409
>>83569336
>they're opinions end up being corrupted by the person who recced the book to them
What? Are you being autistic on purpose?

Anyhow, we should just stop replying.
>>
>>83566537
Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic is basically a guided tour around the highlights of the magic DCU. From that you can find characters that look cool and see if they have any good runs. Most have great ones.
>>
>>83567481
>>83567256
>>83566999
>>83566672
>>83566550

Geez who the fuck let this Hot Head in?
>>
>>83567878
>>83567481
>The world is full of casuals
>It's not my job to help casuals become more literate comic book fans
>It is my job, however, to derail threads based on honest discussion and recommendation, because I'm such a pathetic hipster loser I can't stand new people getting into my super-secret special hobby, because more people enjoying something means I can't enjoy it.
>I should literally kill myself

I couldn't even be bothered going back and selecting every one of the turds you've dropped in this thread to reply to, so please fuck off.

You don't speak for what this board wants. Just because you say /co/ shouldn't spoonfed doesn't make it true. The fact that you're on this autistic crusade alone should prove what a sad bastard you are.
>>
>>83569059
Thanks for this!

>>83569400
Okay, I'll give it a shot, it does sound pretty helpful. Wish there was more stuff like it for the various "kinds" of heroes
>>
>>83569672
I wish you would die.

Let me ask you something. Why do this? Why pretend like you're going to read any of that shit? Pretending to know your shit to your friends isn't going to make you look cool. All that will happen is that they'll ask you some stupid questions about how it was in the comics, and then forget what you even said like five minutes later.
>>
File: zatanna.jpg (299 KB, 1202x1047) Image search: [Google]
zatanna.jpg
299 KB, 1202x1047
>>83569156
Good call. Threw in Dini's Tec issues which feature her as well
>>
>>83569672
While you're on the Gaiman train you might as well look into his Sandman. It's not a superhero series or very heavily connected to the DCU but it deals intensely with a number of magical and philosophical concepts, and its an over all pretty great read.
>>
>>83569646
>>83569740
>Anybody who asks for recommendations just wants to be nerdy around their friends
>There are no exceptions ever. Everyone is phony
>Only me, and my secret club are true fans who.

Go to bed, Holden.
>>
>>83566420
Why did you even reply? OP obviously wanted to know what /co/ thought and not what generic comic site #47 thought, dumb ass.
>>
>>83567334
Man, how rad is it that a Phantom Stranger book lasted more than 20 issues these days?
I mean, sure, Didio was probably pulling for it, but it stayed above cancellation numbers for a good while.
>>
>>83570452
Doctor fate isn't some mainstream "cool" hero though
>>
I read the last issue and it was good. The first couple were really slow though. I think it might read better in trades.
>>
Why do you guys respond to the anti-reccs guy? He does this so often you should know the drill now. He'll say to read it yourself, then when someone suggests that discussion is good he'll say /co/ is a shit board anyway and can't discuss anything while refusing to actually discuss comics himself. Just ignore him.
>>
>>83571324
Anything in that sort of early new 52 era got a bump.
>>
I miss the big rec list threads
They had the most comics discussion the board ever saw.
Then the tumblr was made and killed the threads, then the tumblr died too.

And now anything remotely about recommendations summons this guy who's clearly a lot of fun to be around and surely has many friends.
>>
>>83571981
Honestly those big rec lists never seemed very helpful to me. They're so big and thorough that they're just as intimidating and overwhelming as having nothing at all. A new reader shouldn't be forced to choose between a hundred new books when they ask for something to read, somewhere between 1-10 is much easier to start with.
>>
>>83572707
Google doesn't tell you anything actually helpful for new readers. If you want to get mad at something, get mad at having a hobby with a high barrier of entry that people have to consistently ask for help when getting into other mediums is so easy most people do it without even realizing they did.
>>
>person wants to get into dying, underfunded format
>hurr stay out of my sandcastle

>>83571843
The more we reply the more bumps the thread gets. He's unwittingly hurting his own cause.

That said, I'd be disingenuous if I didn't keep to the subject at hand.
From a mainly Marvel reader since childhood, how does Dr. Fate compare with, say, Dr. Strange? Is it that same level of "it's magic i ain't gotta explain shit" or is there more ritual methodology/rules to things? I'm a sucker for demons and faeries and stuff having codes to operate by.

Also, is Constantine worth getting into? I like what I've seen of him in Sandman.
>>
>>83572707
I know you're an autist, but why would you ever search from that and not just the normal URL bar? It has the same function and doesn't waste toolbar space. That's the first thing I delete when I clean install.
>>
>>83572808
>Google doesn't tell you anything actually helpful for new readers.
I missed the part where that's my problem.
>>
>>83572869
A reccs thread isn't your problem either
>>
>>83572869
Neither is rec threads. Neither one is your problem at all. You have no obligation to keep 'casuals' out of your secret club, as it doesn't affect you in any way if they read the book someone suggested or not.
>>
>>83572552
I always found rec lists redundant, but then again I'm the type who just downloads everything to pick and choose what I read.
>>
>>83572821
>Also, is Constantine worth getting into?
Absolutly
>>
>>83573034
Some people have limited bandwidth though.
>>
>>83572821
Dr. Fate is the same sort of WIZARDS! as Dr. Strange

The original Vertigo Hellblazer is 90s Vertigo, so that should speak to its quality. It's more on the lower end of the power scale, with rituals and stuff
>>
>>83572821
>Constantine
I can't speak for the new52 and beyond series but the original Vertigo Hellblazer it top-notch. The second or third arc (Fear Machine) is generally considered to be slow and pretty weak so be ready for that. However the Ennis stuff soon after is worth it.
>>
>>83573034
I often get picky about them and then I don't like directing people to them after a while. Like I'll never understand the Superman lists that have Action 775. It's nothing special and 800 is probably the more meaningful issue in that run.
>>
>>83573382
What's So Funny is still pretty good though
>>
>>83573382
What's so Funny... is one of the classic Superman stories. I don't really care for it (since it's just a shallow strawman attack on The Authority) but it makes sense to recommend it given its status as a classic story
>>
>>83573506
I think it does the piss-takers good to get the piss taken out of them every now and then
>>
>>83573474
>>83573506
It's not bad but it's not good enough to recommend imo.

Maybe that's kind of the issue though. Some of them are made to be generally just reading lists rather than "best stories" lists.
>>
>>83573584
Or they recommend runs that were good overall but maybe had some weak issues
>>
>>83573548
Yeah but it's such a childish maudlin attempt at doing so. I think it may actually hurt a person to read that as one of their first depictions of Superman.
>>
>>83567338

Books of Magic is a fantastic tour through DC's mystical shenanigans. Stop being a salty fuck.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.