[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-men 3: The Last Stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 421x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 421x349
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>83565826
Are you retarded?
>>
>>83565826
WE
>>
>>83565826
She's a slave
>>
>>83565826
Why does she have scales and no clothes?
>>
>>83565826
She prefers to be called Blueberry Cunt.
>>
>>83565866
Why do you have clothes and no scales?
>>
I liked how they reference this movie in the new one.
Always cute when failures are acknowledged
>>
>>83565826
Gosh watching this is embarrasing. She actually prefer to be called Mystique? Like, as a code or agent name it's not that bad of a concept, but what would happen if Magneto did wipe out all the humans? How would we name ourselves in a mutant world?
It'll be like a MMO, where everyone is constantly trying to find an unregistered and edgiest name possible. And maybe substitute letters with ones they don't even know how to pronounce.
>>
It's an allusion to African Americans renaming themselves using names derived from Africa actually
>>
>>83566059

But mutants have not been enslaved and had a foreign culture/religion imposed on them.
>>
>>83566026
Or they'd just do the realistic thing, and multiple people could have the same name. Just like before.

Crazy, I know, but it just might work.
>>
File: 1265320876027.jpg (39 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1265320876027.jpg
39 KB, 500x491
>>83565826
>mfw she answered to it anyway to explain that she wasn't going to answer to it

it's a thing that Mohammed Ali said about his name change (when he started out boxing he was still called Cassius Clay), ie, the name that he originally had was a name that his ancestors had (presumably) acquired from being owned by white Americans, therefore it's a brand of ownership long after the end of slavery

the meaning in the wider context is that we define who we are, which is an admirable, cross-political statement (unless your totalitarianism is showing)

the thing about it in this context is that Clay becoming Ali made sense; you could understand why he did it even if you thought it was oversensitive, and all it took was a few minutes to legally change

whereas even in the context of the X-Men universe as portrayed to 2006 on-screen, there had never been a point of systematic slavery of mutants, let alone the imposition of "human" culture on mutants at the expense of their own former culture, because they were never even a country, just, you know, mutants, so it utterly cheapens the meaningful political statement it's based almost verbatim upon, for no real gain because it doesn't make you respect Raven's choice; she's just repeating something she heard once and didn't really understand

tl;dr Ratner may have filmed it, but Singer let this fly
>>
>>83566076
I think the point is that humans supposedly want to hold mutants back, by using her human name Raven the guy is denying her the right/privilege to be recognized as something more than human
>>
>>83566123

Mystique's 'slavery' was that her existence had for a long time required her to make herself a normal human to escape prejudice and hate. That's who Raven Darkholme was.

Mystique is who she really is, a name she gave herself.
>>
>>83566105
My point being I don't mind being called John, instead of trying to get a play-on-words name resonating with my true nature yet could have easily muddled up a normal, everyday conversation.
Hey Mystique have you seen that mystic woman name Mist? Oh what a bad weather I guess it'll be raining soon so we better stay inside and wait for Sunfire to come over.
>>
>>83565930
And the new one also sucks.
>>
>>83566123
He was originally named after a white abolitionist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Clay_%28politician%29
He changed his name to an Egyptian slave owner of Albanian descent, presumably because that man founded the modern Egyptian state, and Egypt is in Africa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_of_Egypt
The boxer was a fucking moron. Changing your name from a white abolitionist to a white slave owner and then trying to claim the first one was your "slave name". And that's without going into the issue of Arab cultural imperialism in North and West Africa.
>>
>>83566171
This. It's not complicated.
>>
Watch another one of the movies. Figure out which one you stupid shit.
>>
File: mock.jpg (65 KB, 523x592) Image search: [Google]
mock.jpg
65 KB, 523x592
>>83566171
>Raven Darkholme
>>
>>83566125
The point was to make symbolism digestible for the unwashed masses.
>>
>>83566184
Many names are derived from words.
>>
>>83566171
Then why does she keep change her appearance, even at times where it is not necessary.
>>
>>83566338
Why do I belch when I don't need to? Superman flies everywhere long distance, you never see him get on a fucking plane just for cover. batman could literally fly is submarine anywhere but he takes his slick added ubermega car.
FeelsGoodman.jpeg.
>>
>>83566338
because J-Lo is a hack
>>
>>83566461
Assed assed assed assed assed assed assed.
Don't mind me just beating a word into my tablet's autocorrect.
Sick added. What the fuck. Stupid thing is hooked up to Google it should be able to recognize slang, or hey how about just underline something instead of changing it without permission. Fuck I wish I could punch this thing sometimes but it would cost too much and I'll have to start yelling at autocorrect all over again.
>>
>>83566338

Because she renounced having a default human form, not her powers and the utility of those powers
>>
>>83566059
Except they don't. They used bastardized French colonial names. I'm hella sure you ain't gonna meet a single Shaniqua, Jamal or Lakeesha in all of Africa.
>>
File: x2.gif (4 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
x2.gif
4 MB, 480x320
>>83565866

Clothes are a burden heaped on mutants by their oppressors.
>>
If the movies stopped using the legacy of the comics as a license to be as pretentious as possible, would things really be worse?
>>
>>83567054
Damn
>>
>>83566923
Wrong, Jamal is a common muslim name, presumably there are shittons of Jamals in africa
>>
>>83567078
what would they have left?
>>
>>83566209

This reminded me that Black Bolts real name is Blackagar Boltogon. Like they made the alias and then half assedly thought of a name. It's silly at best.
>>
>>83567154
That name is the silliest in all of creation
>>
>>83566923
My favorite is Airwrecka
>>
>>83566923
Oh, but the best part is that Africans despise Afro-Americans as "mongrel slave offspring". And Afro-Americans also tend to hate Africans for some reason, maybe because most Africans have good work ethic and make them look bad.

I'm excluding Somalis, they are human garbage that makes gypsies look like human beings.
>>
>>83565866

Because she's Mutant & Proud and has no need for clothes.
>>
>>83566528
>Because she renounced having a default human form
But she transformed only into the same again and again.
>>
File: brett ratner.png (307 KB, 856x477) Image search: [Google]
brett ratner.png
307 KB, 856x477
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>83565866
>no clothes
Sex appeal for starters. But also because the X-Men movies used to like to present a more believable approach to the world. If her powers were real then yeah she probably wouldn't wear clothes since they would actively hinder her powers and she can shape shift clothes when necessary anyway. Yea, she could shapeshift clothes over her natural form, but this would presumably require some degree of constant concentration that she doesn't care about. If she needs to hide she changes entirely, if hiding isn't necessary then clothes aren't necessary, so she goes naked. The in-between blue+clothes is pointless in the movie world past a certain point.

Also yeah, the mutant and proud thing is also a metaphor for not hiding who you are and accepting yourself.

>scales
Fuethers the chameleon analogue and to censor nudity
>>
>>83566123
>>83566189
>Ali converts to Islam because of Christian slavery
>Islam created the word "slave" from captured Slavs, had a major slave trade route in Africa and there are still Islamic states that permit slavery
Ali took too many shots to the head.
A black man converting to Islam is more hypocritical than him voting for Trump.
>>
>>83567584
>>83567614

GUARENTEED REPLIES
>>
>>83567426
he isn't trying to make some autuer film to capture the zeitgeist of his time, he's just trying to get paid
>>
>>83567642
I hope I get a reply because I genuinely want to know this guys thought process.
>>
Rebeccs Romijin Mistique >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JLaw Mistique

>and it's not just the body
>>
>>83567717

Then maybe you should ask on the board dedicated to political discussions
>>
>>83567747
Then he shouldn't have posted this >>83567584
And none of the people he's replying to should have ever posted either. Why don't you complain about them discussing things? I haven't even discussed anything yet, all I did was ask one question.
>>
>>83566184
>John
Literally comes from Hebrew for "God has shown favor," and in that language, it was a name that people would instantly recognize as a specific term with a meaning, much like Mystique.
>>
File: chingchong.png (74 KB, 302x170) Image search: [Google]
chingchong.png
74 KB, 302x170
>>83567238
>most Africans have good work ethic
>>
>>83565826
How do you fuck mystique in her blue form?Does she just creates a pussy or she has to change to other female form?
>>
>>83568129
I think we don't see it in the movie, but her bluegina is supposed to be out there in the open the whole time
>>
>>83565826
fuck you and your dumb forced meme you stupid nigger
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 422x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 422x562
>>83566026
We'd name ourselves after our personality or ability traits. Like the wolf riders in elfquest or native Americans.
>>
>>83567584
Muslims enslaved everyone that wasn't Muslim but also everyone was allowed a free position within Muslim society if they converted to Islam. European Christians used to have a rule like that as well, but it was cast aside in favor of racial politics.
>>
>>83566123
>movie made for US Americans frames its issues in terms US Americans can understand

Honestly, once again the problem is that your Jewish media overlords know exactly how dumb you are.
>>
>>83567238
Black guy here. That's not correct. African Americans don't necessarily dislike Africans at all. Tho africans so,entices feel that they are better than African Americans because they weren't enslaved and don't have a slave heritage. But it really depends on the people. Africa is a big ass continent with several countries. It is false to claim that the entire continent holds a specific belief about anything. It's as silly as claiming that all African tribes lived in straw huts, threw spears and wore loincloths.

African Americans in the US don't have a monolythic culture or belief system, so it makes no sense for that to be the case with Africa. For instance, my culture and beliefs are entirely different from a black person that comes from Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, New York, Illinois, California or Michigan and they are all distinct from one another as well.
>>
>>83567584
Black sea slavery goes all the way back to antiquity and the ports were under Italian control well into the Middle Ages.
>>
>>83568632
>so,entices
*sometimes
>>
>>83566123
Cassius Clay is a good name though.
>>
>>83568632
>African Americans in the US don't have a monolythic culture or belief system, so it makes no sense for that to be the case with Africa.

They do, they're all US Americans.
>>
>>83567614
>>83567584
Mike Tyson is a black Muslim who's voting for Trump.
>>
>What's your name?
>John.
>What's your *real* name, John?
>Pyro.

Magneto's philosophy holds that the most significant trait of any mutant is their powers, therefore the name they get from their powers is more important than the name they were given at birth before their powers manifested.
>>
>>83566188
Not nearly as much as X3 did though.
>>
>>83567732

I don't think you'll find any disagreement. Romijn was incredible. JLaw was "decent" at best and totally uninterested at worst, which is about the worst thing an actor can be.

>>83567399

That's mostly a JLaw Mystique thing and is likely akin to a masked hero frequently being unmasked to show the star's face as much as possible. It doesn't make narrative sense with her characterization and is particularly jarring in Apocalypse (think a fan edit could correct that?). Romijn's Mystique really only used the blonde bombshell look a couple of times and always defaulted to blue when in the company of mutants or when her guise was exposed.
>>
>>83567732
A piece of shit is better than Jlaw mystique
>>
>>83568674
But we really don't. That's why we have different states and different communities with different cultures. I've been to NYC a few times before and it is VERY different from stomping around in DC. I used to work in Detroit in the 90's. That's incredibly different from life where I'm from.
>>
>>83568632
>Americans in the US don't have a culture
This part is correct.
>>
>>83568940
>Romijn was incredible.

Get a grip. Of something that isn't your dick.
>>
>>83566171
That's not in any sense slavery, that's her choice. Nobody really wants to look at David Hasselhoff but he's not a slave just because he's stuck that way.

>>83566189
He took his first name from his father, who was named for the abolitionist. His second name was inherited from, guess what, a slave owner named Clay.

You're sure though that he named himself after the Muhammad Ali who founded Egypt and not the other, more relevant Muhammad Ali in his own lifetime (rather than someone who had been dead for a century), the founder of the Ahmadiyya movement? Or you know, just picked a really common name?

Either way his choice of name is almost immaterial; it's his freedom to choose, and his exercising of that right, which is the notable thing.
>>
>>83567189
>Airwrecka
I thought that Orks are based on British hooligans and have Cockney accent.
>>
>>83569880
I've heard that he named himself after the profet, THE Muhammad, because when he was offered the chance to have his name on that Hollywood road he asked not to write it down because it was sacred
>>
>>83569987
>Picking a name that you aren't allowed to write down
kek
>>
>>83569987
>ecause when he was offered the chance to have his name on that Hollywood road he asked not to write it down because it was sacred

You're misunderstanding. It wasn't "not written down" it was "not on the ground to be walked on". His star on the Walk of Fame is on the wall of a building (the Kodak Theater). It's the only star so positioned.
>>
>>83572905
Ah, thank you for clarifying
>>
>>83567054
Seeing this just makes me hate Jlaw all over again
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.