[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this so popular when it came out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Beautybeastposter.jpg (3 MB, 1676x2500) Image search: [Google]
Beautybeastposter.jpg
3 MB, 1676x2500
Why was this so popular when it came out?
>>
>>83561224
because the walt disney corporation made it and has basically unlimited money and has its tentacles all up in that Wholesome American Cultural Shit

fuck disney
>>
>>83561224
Because it's a tale as old as time
A song as old as rhyme:
Beauty and the Beasty
>>
>>83561615
Yeah, but this movie specifically received huge critical acclaim and universal love.
Beauty and the Beast is the first animated film to be nominated for "Best Picture" at the Oscars.
Beauty and the Beats is one of three full length animated features to have been preserved in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
I just don't get it. It's a good movie, but it's not that good. And the actual animation is fucked.

The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Mulan, The Great Mouse Detective, and The Jungle Book are all better than Beauty and the Beast. Just to name a few.
>>
>>83562063
> And the actual animation is fucked.
The majority of films you listed came after Beauty and the Beast. It's one thing to be better than your predecessor it's another to be ground breaking in your own era. And if I remember it correctly, the dancing hall has the one of the earliest 3D model yet it fits the 2D characters seamlessly. You can barely notice it until you realize they are using long turning shots that are rare in 2D animations.
Anyway, if you really care for the critical acllaim, t's probably easier if you just read the reviews from these critics.
>>
>>83561224
Because it is the wests version of Toradora
the greatest love story ever told
>>
>>83562241
But still, the films I mentioned that came before BatB are leagues ahead of it.
I can't imagine that it was just seen as groundbreaking because of shitty early CGI.
>>
>>83562346

That rotating shot is pretty dope.
>>
I never thought it was that great, but I haven't seen it since probably the '90s and so I won't trust my judgment from when I was a kid.

But then I'm not a huge fan of Lion King either and everyone loves the shit outta that.
>>
I love Beauty and the Beast. It has my favorite soundtrack out of all the Disney movies.
>>
>>83562063
it's in the Library of Congress because of the ballroom scene.
>>
Because it was actually good.
>>
File: Beautyandthebeast_5134.jpg (460 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Beautyandthebeast_5134.jpg
460 KB, 1920x1080
Would this be an example of Uncanny Valley in traditional animation?
>>
File: Beautyandthebeast_5135.jpg (46 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Beautyandthebeast_5135.jpg
46 KB, 960x540
>>83562676
>>
>>83562676
>>83562689
It's awkward, but not really uncanny.
>>
It's a tale as old as time
>>
>>83562630
That's bullshit.
Why not put actual good movies in there? I hate that films are praised for technical achievement.
Technical achievement doesn't mean anything if the writing is lackluster.
Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey may look amazing, but they're absolutely terrible.
>>
>>83562747
>getting this angry at a fucking cartoon

Anon, your problem isn't with Beauty and the Beast. It's far more personal and something you need help with.
>>
>>83562747
go back to reading sheet music
>>
>>83562778
Go fuck yourself, Beauty and the Beast is just not that good.
>>
>>83562747
Pretty sure there are good movies in there too.
Beside, technical achievement is still an achievement. Historians like to keep a record of how science and technology advance. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>83562676
>>83562689
even my father thought he looked better as the beast

it was the first and only time I ever heard him comment on the attractiveness of a cartoon character
>>
>>83561224
Very good film. Really didn't need that "servant utensils fighting the intruders" scene. Film was going a darker route and they had to silly it up for the stupid kids.

They had animated suits of armor earlier in the film. They should have been the ones to fight off the intruders.
>>
>>83562792
There's nothing wrong with documenting technical achievement, technical achievement should be documented, I just think only regarding something as good because of it's technical achievement is bullshit.
>>
>>83562902
Um, you lost me there. Why can't technical achievement be a merit of a film? It's new. It's revolutionary. It changed the industry. It would rather be unfair to dismiss it entirely.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast_(1991_film)#Accolades
>>
>>83562791
Did you get touched by one of the animators?
>>
>2nd digitally painted cartoon movie ever
>Solidified the Disney success and ensured the fairytale story was going to stay for a while,
>3rd animated movie to incorporate cgi
>it's actually a good movie
>>
My sister always told me it was an allegory for AIDS.
>>
File: 4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg (19 KB, 367x332) Image search: [Google]
4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg
19 KB, 367x332
>>83562902
So because just you don't like it then it should never be regarded?

Wow, bet no one here thought your opinion was that fucking important. Since you alone can declare a movie good or not despite what legions of critics and fans have been saying for three decades.
>>
>>83562747
2001 is good but some of the early segments drag on too long and I don't think it's the best sci fi movie ever like most people do. Blade Runner is great, not sure where your hate's coming from.
>>
>>83561224
>Why was this so popular when it came out?
Because we weren't as jaded as we are today
>>
>>83562871
The fight between Beast and the wolves is my favorite scene. Beast vs Gaston is my 2nd.

Slightly related, I always rewound the vhs tape so I could watch the fight between Todd and the bear in The Fox & the Hound over and over.

I just like animated fight scenes with animals I guess.
>>
>>83565471
Did you have fun with The Lion King?
>>
>>83562902
It's hilarious reading your posts.
>>
>>83562063
The only film you listed even close to as good as Beauty and the Beast is Great Mouse Detective.
>>
>>83562747
>Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey may look amazing, but they're absolutely terrible.
>>
>>83561224
So how many of these minimalist type of posters did Disney make?

And why the fuck did they stop?
>>
>>83566601
Why take the time to design a good poster when you can just make a model of a charater looking smug and re use it on everything?
>>
>>83561224
What the fuck is his problem?
>cursed to be a beast unless he falls in love
>girl shows up to castle for first time in years
>makes her a prisoner
>verbally assaults her

Wasn't he supposed to be a suave vain teenager? Why did he become so bitter?
>>
>>83566827
He was shown to be a spoiled brat that barely pass as teenager in the Christmas special, right before he's cursed. He never get that hormonal drive as a human teenager. Even if he did I doubt he'd do any better.
However that does beg the glaring question...did he entered and exit puberty as a beast? Was he ever...um...rutting?
>>
>>83561224
Because it's about interracial dating
>>
>>83566827
>Imprisoned her father for trespassing on his private property
>Agreed to let his daughter take his place when she showed up
>Immediately gave her a room with a large bed and wardrobe
>Tells her she can roam anywhere in the castle except for his private study
>And then he's the one being wrong when he gets upset after she goes into that private room
Yeah. What is the beast's problem?
>>
>>83562958
Stay in school, kid.
>>
>>83561224
No one makes movies great like Gaston.
>>
>>83562747
>having taste this shit
>>
>>83563511
Not rage-poster, but for all I love blade runner, Harrison fords noir monologue bits are absolutely fucking god awful in delivery. Still a great movie and has some added charm with how poorly those are done, but they're still poorly fucking done
>>
Disney
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.