[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't figure out why the fights in Korra are so borin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
I can't figure out why the fights in Korra are so boring. You have the Korra/Kuvira which should be important but it's dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqYY17r1UjQ

But then you watch something like the final fight in Sword of the Stranger which just feels so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1cMPnMcaY

Both fights are about 4 minutes long yet one has noticeably more impact. What exactly is about the directing in Korra that makes it feel bland? Even a critical fight.
>>
>>83559302
fuck off
>>
File: angry-bear-showing-mouth-up.jpg (688 KB, 1200x960) Image search: [Google]
angry-bear-showing-mouth-up.jpg
688 KB, 1200x960
The stakes are on shaky ground because the story and characters are shaky

The internal action logic isn't as sound and consistent as in Last Airbender, largely because of the proliferation of gimmicky powers like energy hadokens, metal bending, common place lightning bending, etc

But maybe most of all... Korra tried to ratchet up the Avatar series "maturity" a notch or two due to having adult characters and teen drama and all that, but the intensity of the action didn't go up accordingly. The lack of brutality in Last Airbender never bothered me, because it was a bunch of wee children doing the fighting, but in Korra you've got all these moody teens slinging around deadly elemental kung fu where, if this was a comic book, someone would probably have lost a limb or a large portion of their face. They kept the kids gloves on when the story was not about kids anymore, in other words.
>>
>>83559302
>>>/a/
>>
File: toph dubs.png (512 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
toph dubs.png
512 KB, 1280x720
>>83559444
What's with all the Korra threads the last week or so? Also nice trips.
>>
>>83559302
Because SotS had
>Better animators
>Better budget
>Better directors
>>
>>83560514
this>>83559485
>>
The Korra/Zaheer fight is one of the best fights in either A:TLA or LOK.
>>
>>83559302
Avatar fight has no fucking stakes.

The stakes are literally everyone saying "Korra! Go glowy and kick Kuvira's ass!" and Korra going "no! Not unless I have to!" So you already know she's got a back-up card that'll (supposedly) let her win the fight. And so we're not watching a fight with real tension - we're just watching a dumb chick get beat up until she decides not to be any more. It's fucking dull.
>>
>>83560514
Wait SotS had more budget than LoK? I thought Nickelodeon was pretty generous and let Bryke blown away millions on a whim.
>>
>>83559302

>comparing a final confrontation to a mid season filler fight

Of course it's gonna have more impact, the Korra/Kuvira fight is predictable, low stakes and boring story telling. You know all that's going to happen is Korra gets a few scratches and that will be gone by next episode. In fact when I watch it I just feel embarrassed for Korra, like watching someone forget their lines in a public speech.
>>
>>83561411
Shit no, Nick got cheaper by the seasons. That's why Book 4 had a clip show episode. It was either this or lay people off, and Bryke didn't want to fire anyone.
>>
>>83559302
For me, all of the choreography in Korra was weakened compared to that of ATLA primarily by the decision to start using MMA as an influence, which is all about boring functionality, instead of wushu flynning.
>>
>>83559302
Lesbionic woman fights are always boring for me

They completey butched up the women in those fights to appeal to the sjw
>>
>>83562011
Interesting...Sifu Kisu said similar things on his tumblr. MMA is all about the moment and its fast but fluid pace. It's difficult to animate that without being there and watch the whole "flow".

I'll probably get flogged for this, but what the heck. Attack on Titans used elements from MMA and it worked.
https://youtu.be/k2u1nTvBYx0?t=4m27s
It would have worked in LoK too, if they used similar longshots at the end of Season 3. But I remember they said that shot took a lot of effort and with Nick cutting budgets I doubt they would do it again.
>>
All I'm going to say is any fight that happens in LoK was pointless because after you learned after season 2 that literally there is a new unrelated antagonist every season and that they in no way relate to each other outside of korra being a little bitch about getting her ass kicked once and having the heavy undertones of rape involved with the character these fights mean nothing.

There is no build up, they just kind of appear for a season and you can tell yourself "Oh look there is this season's BBG" you aren't fighting things along the way that are stepping stones to the BBG and often affiliated with the BBG's plans and plots that's why it is literally worth nothing to be invested in.

I don't give a shit about he anime thing or care how it's supposed to be "impactful" because I know nothing of the story. But this is story telling 101, something you learn in elementry school, the five points of action in stories, the intro, rising action, climax, falling action, conclusion.

The shorter the rising action the less impact the climax would be or the important parts of the rising action.
>>
File: ETirZjT.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
ETirZjT.gif
2 MB, 500x281
On the bright side, I'm really fucking happy with the way our first airbender vs airbender fight went.
>>
>>83561831
This, holy shit OP, you just blow in from stupid town?
>>
>>83559302

I've never watched this, but does Korra ever actually WIN any fights?
>>
>>83560282
What the fuck is that stupid scene kid looking asshole with a green hair stripe doing in this shot?
>>
>>83562153

this was really stupid.

pretty!

but dumb. Why is this shit so popular?
>>
>>83565032
Her crew is basically the avatar, they do all her work for her when they should just be support.
>>
>>83565081
Skrillex is one of Toph's grandsons in the LoK canon.
>>
File: cIFu0Z1.jpg (441 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cIFu0Z1.jpg
441 KB, 1280x720
Could probably use a little bit of stylization to make it feel more kinetic.

Anime has speedlines up the ass to accomplish that. Yeah, it's a cheep trick, but it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFqy1Qh2gYs

Also emotional connectivity helps.
>>
>>83565032
So does beat the same lady later in the season, but it doesn't feel like there's a real need to do that so it kinda fall falt because of it. Some would argue that she beats the villains each season, but honestly shes rarely the reason for them losing, she feels more like those cops in scooby doo that comes in at the end and takes away the criminal. She also does beat some mooks up but thats rare.
>>
>>83561233
Not much of a fight though since Zaheer is mostly running away and avoiding any kind of fighting. Which makes sense and is kinda awesome considering he should be dead within seconds if they actually fought.
>>
>>83561831
Did the finale fight have more impact for you? I mean sure that fight was emberrasing to watch, but Kuvira was never a believable threat so the finale didn't really have any stakes either. I mean Korra should have been able to take out the mech on her own desu.
>>
>>83566225
A reasonable and logical outcome instead of the eye glowing, energy-bending, portal-opening, all problem solving, supersaiyan like sequence from the greatest Avatar evuh? How DARE you!
>>
>>83559302
Why didn't these two just kiss and make up? You can tell they both wanted to.
>>
File: 1443043748856.png (946 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443043748856.png
946 KB, 1920x1080
>>83559302

Korra mid-season vs. Kuvira

>Korra has inner struggles (again)
>Kuvira at the obvious top of her game
>Is largely plot oriented but made obvious that Korra will lose, show does nothing to subvert expectations regarding this
>Stakes are not made strongly (you know what the risk is but it's far from anything impossible to recover from)

Sword of the Stranger
>Both fighters at the end of the line, final fight in the movie
>Main character claims to do better under stress and damage, adds an element of suspense and mystery that seems less able to be trusted the more he loses momentum during the fight
>Batlte is placed less on story, more on impact in direction for art, sound, choreography; basically everything that tickles immediate senses
>Which snowballs into every action being made sure to have a large sense of weight (among hte most important, if not the most important principles in action media), ends up working well with the very back and forth flow of the fight, where everything feels like it matters

Really not that hard to gauge. If you have trouble figuring this out you might have bigger problems than what isn't right in in a couple of cartoons.
>>
Has Korra done anything in her show that would count as legendary?

Biggest thing she did was not closing portal to spirit world opened by Unalaq.
>>
>>83566336
Korra was a public nuisance, not a legend.
>>
>>83566336

She opened up another one in the middle of a city, for lolz.
>>
>>83566352

To be fair that one wasn't willingly
>>
>>83559302
Pussy fighting style. There was a change in bending style since AtLA, now everyone uses short punches that throws a tiny amount of element at the enemy. On AtLA the bending masters would throw giant shit storms of elements at the enemy. Bumi for example bended an entire house off a mountain for a giggle.
>>
>>83566414

That's a large issue I have with Korra's fighting style. It's suggested she trades the principles of her martial arts to mix it into her own style, which seems to be largely kickboxing oriented. The problem is that kickboxing just isn't brought out to its fullest choreographic beauty in the direction of Bryke and in the world of Avatar; its only saving grace is that it's still animated rather nicely anyway.

Those hits don't look like they'd hurt the average bender at all, they don't have any distinguishable energy in movement, hell they're not even all that fast so it can't even really do its own thing right.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.