[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a non-cape comics thread? I want to try things outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: Scalpedcover.jpg (108 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
Scalpedcover.jpg
108 KB, 250x375
Can we have a non-cape comics thread? I want to try things outside of the Big Two and would like to get some recommendations, if possible. Some lesser known stuff would be great as well.
>>
File: Copperhead09_900px.jpg (743 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Copperhead09_900px.jpg
743 KB, 600x900
Have a subgenre or character type in mind?
>>
>>83557532
Nope. I'll try anything.
>>
>>83557637
Alright.
Well, if you liked Scalped, try out Southern Bastards. It's by the same author and it feels like a real return to form.
100 Bullets is another good one, great crime/conspiracy comic, gets pretty crazy but the art is fantastic and the writing is great.
>>
>>83557448
if you want things outside of the big two you should've posted a non-big 2 comic

that being said my rec list is this

Dark Horse:
Mind MGMT
Any of the Manga they put out is fantastic, like Lone Wolf and Cub and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service
Usagi Yojimbo

Image:
King City and Multiple Warheads
Island the Magazine (ongoing)
Prophet (almost done, two issues in a miniseries left)
Deadly Class (ongoing)
East of west (ongoing)

Drawn & Quarterly:
Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
Big Kids
Puke Force

Top Shelf:
Cigarette Girl

Oni Press:
Wonton Soup

Fantagraphics:
Hip-Hop Family Tree
Ghost World
Megg, Mogg and Owl comics
any of the Love and Rockets Stuff

Asterios Polyp
>>
File: Conan_02.jpg (31 KB, 438x571) Image search: [Google]
Conan_02.jpg
31 KB, 438x571
does he count?
>was published by the big two for a while
>takes place on Marvel Earth
>no "superpowers", but often shows Batman-esque super-strength/endurance/etc.
>Often acts out of kindness
>often involved in supernatural events
Or no?
>Originally a pulp character predating Superman
>Non-linear story, with the status quo changing
>Does not interact with other capes due to being way before them chronologically
>Often does morally questionable stuff for money or revenge
>is fine killing people, keeps no secret identity
>has no "costume" to speak of, just a lot of interchangeable armor he picks up when he can
>has no signature gadgets or attacks
>>
File: Comic Book Sampler.jpg (715 KB, 1946x1660) Image search: [Google]
Comic Book Sampler.jpg
715 KB, 1946x1660
>>
>>83557813
>>83557828
>>83558055
Thanks!

>>83557950
Fucking love Conan, i own the complete tales of Robert E. Howard. What are the best comics?
>>
really enjoyed the couple volumes of Richard Stark's Parker.

classic pulp crime stories
>>
>>83558450
Savage Sword by Roy Thomas and the first few volumes of the Dark Horse run
>>
I'm kind of partial to Rick Remender books for classic comic entertainment
The Last Days of American Crime is quick 3 issue miniseries
If you're looking for a longer read, Fear Agent is a hard-boiled raygun scifi adventure that has been collected in two gorgeous hardcover volumes
his ongoing Black Science is wacky time/dimension hopping adventure
>>
eh, I'll just throw some of my favorite shit out there
Wallace Wood's Cannon
Fletcher Hanks collections
Kingdom Bum
Manifest Destiny
>>
The first TPB for Injection was awesome, I hope my hype for volume 2 is justified
>>
>>83558462
Those look great.

>>83558506
I'll check it!

>>83558705
>>83558711
>>83558824
Thanks mates!
>>
I just got all the Dark Horse Star Wars comics. Which ones are not garbage.
>>
>>83559284
Knights of the Old Republic is solid. Gets a little convoluted in the final volume, but I feel like the ending was worth it.
>>
Not really obscure, but if you haven't read it yet you should check out the Bone storytime that is going on right now
>>
>>83559284
>>83559314
Knights is good and introduces fun characters to the SW universe. Legacy was nice for the most part in my opinion, but YMMV.
>>
I just finished Deep State. Such a disappointing ending.
>>
I liked Unwritten, Y The last Man is good, 100 Bullets was ok. the new ones from vertigo, Art Ops, Unfriended, and the Red thorn thing are good....ok ya im biased I like vertigo stuff
oh ya cant forget fables..
>>
>>83533481
>>
I really like Locke and Key, Hellboy, and Revival.

Revival is ongoing and Locke and Key has some supplemental material coming soon.
>>
File: That Salty Air.cbz - Page 1.jpg (389 KB, 1863x2688) Image search: [Google]
That Salty Air.cbz - Page 1.jpg
389 KB, 1863x2688
>>
File: LockeandKey.jpg (265 KB, 997x1450) Image search: [Google]
LockeandKey.jpg
265 KB, 997x1450
Locke&Key by Joe Kill
>>
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.