[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some great Tarantino-esque comic books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: kill-bill.jpg (155 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
kill-bill.jpg
155 KB, 900x470
What are some great Tarantino-esque comic books?
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 550x843) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 550x843
Django the comic.
>>
>>83538078
Oh shit, there was an actual comic? Was it good?
>>
>awful dialogue
>homages to/ and straight up rip offs of better material
>recurring tropes
>no signs of improvement over time
Bendis.
>>
>>83538169
>>awful dialogue
stopped reading right there
>>
>>83538169
Namefag has a horrible opinion, news at 11.
>>
>>83538245
>liking Tarantino dialogue
it gets old real fucking quick.
>>
>>83537987
I've always found Ennis to be the Tarantino of comics strangely enough.
>>
>>83538270
>it gets old real fucking quick.
No, not really.

Tarantino, I find, tends to have a way with dialogue. I love his snappy, badass dialogue and the delivery his characters tend to have.

His movies are always so quotable.
>>
>>83538270
Not really. If anything, dialogue is his thing.
>>
>>83538368
>>83538387
all his dialogue post-pulp fiction has just been unironic glorification of tired old cliches, just like all the other elements of his films
>>
>>83538438
And? Unironic (whatever that means) glorification of old cliches backed up by good acting and solid cinematography is cool, and it just so happens to be Tarantino's thing.
>>
>>83538438
Except for when he takes old, familiar genres and remixes them in unfamiliar settings or gives us unconventional protagonists that substantially change up these, "tired old cliches."

Kill Bill is derivative, sure, but pays homage to everything it takes from. It's also a samurai movie with some elements from the Western genre and martial arts genres, but set in the modern day.

Django Unchained is a Western set in the South with a black main character.

Death Proof is a slasher movie where the "slasher" kills people with a tricked out stunt car, and where the second group of women he antagonizes are experienced badasses.

Inglourious Basterds in its entirety was fairly original.

And his dialogue is fantastic as well.
>>
>>83537987
Frank Miller's Sin City series if you haven't read them
>>
bump

any more examples?
>>
>>83538438
>thinking Pulp Fiction is good and a standard for his other films to be held to
Fucking lol its his worst
>>
File: Hitman 02.jpg (398 KB, 990x1515) Image search: [Google]
Hitman 02.jpg
398 KB, 990x1515
Hitman, Preacher, most of Garth Ennis' non-war books.
Christopher Priest used similar non-sequential storytelling for the first few arcs of his Black Panther.
And Palmiotti and Gray's Jonah Hex has some similarly sharp dialogue and bloody plots.
>>
>>83538296
>>83539590
So I should check out Ennis then? Alright.

I'll check out the Jonah Hex series too.
>>
Ennis comics especially Hitman and Kev
>>
File: FuryMax-7-Zone-002.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
FuryMax-7-Zone-002.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2951
Anything by Garth Ennis.
>>
File: poc_sc_cvr-copy.jpg (250 KB, 660x867) Image search: [Google]
poc_sc_cvr-copy.jpg
250 KB, 660x867
>>83539681
Prince of Cats is Romeo and Juliet from Tybalts point of view reimagined as black new york hip-hop katana bullshit, seems pretty tarantino-y
>>
File: 1436977322468.gif (322 KB, 200x230) Image search: [Google]
1436977322468.gif
322 KB, 200x230
>>83539705
You know it.
>>
>>83539705
forgot to mention it's dialogue emulates old Shakespearean english instead of snappy Tarantino dialogue, so it's more in line with the Leonardo Dicaprio Romeo+Juliet movie in that regard
>>
>>83539705
I've heard of this and have been meaning to read it. Maybe I will in the near future.
>>
>>83537987
Blue Estate (Image Comics) by Viktor Kalvachev and friends is very Tarantino-esque.
>>
Not a comics but Rango.
>>
bump for more
>>
Can't think of any foot fetish comics desu
>>
>>83544826
I know Whedon has a foot fetish, but I don't know if that made it into his comics work.
>>
>>83538245
those long winded speeches in his movies are just him projecting his thoughts through a character.
>>
File: Boss.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Boss.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>>83538560
>Western set in the South with a black main character.

Its been done though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Fig_LoBy4
>>
Django/Zorro. Tarantino was involved in the writingstory process.
>>
>>83544826
And that's a damn shame.

>>83544926
Not really. It's been confirmed that Superman speech at the end of Kill Bill vol. 2 is from the point of view of Bill, a sociopath.

>>83544963
I knew of this movie, but thought it was set in the West.
>>
Stray mother-fucking Bullets.
>Issues can take place from anywhere between the mid 70's and the mid 90's.
>Focus on lowlife and down on their luck characters.
>Huge cast of characters that float in and out of each other's lives.
>Very dark sense of humor
>It's pretty much a comicbook Pulp Fiction, but better
>>
>>83539585
Clearly you haven't watched Jackie Brown.

Don't worry, nobody did back then either.
>>
>>83545567
I should check this out. I've always wanted to read Young Liars as well, which iirc, was by the same guy.
>>
>>83545858
First issue is free on comixology. First 7 are on comixology unlimited. I highly recommend it.

And Young Liars is indeed the same guy.
>>
>>83545696
I have Pulp is literally "dude Citizen kane but gangsters Lmao"
>>
>>83544826
Im sure it made it into a Claremont comic somewhere, though it may be too tame for hin
>>
Blades & Lazers
Terror Assaulter OMWOT (One Man War on Terror
Copra
Revenger

Basically genre as personal work. Quentin utilizes older techniques, film homage as visual language, and pastiche in his work and these comics are like that but with comics instead of film.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.