[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does this become more than a saturday morning cartoon with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (26 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
26 KB, 1280x720
When does this become more than a saturday morning cartoon with villains of the week?

I got on this wagon after wanting more cool action shows with great arcs after watching Spectacular Spidey, but BTAS is kinda developing more slowly.
>>
It doesn't, it was nearly unheard of to write cartoons like that back then.
>>
>>83535949
Aw. So it's not that good?
>>
>>83535963

There's several multipart episodes. I think the first is the Two Face one, but yeah it's a serialised crime drama starring Batman.

And it's probably the best serialised crime drama animated or not.
>>
File: batman.gif (205 KB, 499x320) Image search: [Google]
batman.gif
205 KB, 499x320
>>83535929
Continuity may be your thing, but that doesn't mean self-contained, minimalistic episodicity is "bad"; it's a different approach, and it's the one this show goes for.

Focus on execution doesn't do it for you? Skip it; it's not mandatory /co/rriculum or anything
>>
>>83535963
It's great but you have to accept that it's a series of one-shots with light continuity, just like nearly every other show from the 90s and before that wasn't a daytime drama.
>>
>>83535963

It's one of the best cartoons of all time, you're just a complete dumbass
>>
>>83535963
>So it's not that good?

If you think that only shows featuring overarching storylines over the span of a season are good cartoons, then no, it's not "good" by your standards. BTAS consists largely of done in one episodes with significant amount of mature depth and style to them when you compare it to other cartoons around the time it came out, and even today it has plenty of episodes that hold up well. That is what makes is beloved and critically acclaimed.
>>
>>83536016
>>83536044
>>83536009
>>83535989
Ah, okay, I misunderstood the first response a tiny bit. I'm still having fun, though, in case it wasn't obvious. Thanks.
>>
>>83535963
if this is your first time watching then perhaps it may not be as good for you. everyone else has summed up points quite well so i won't over step those points again however what made this magical for us back in the day was following the journey and growing up with all of the combined series.

I was born in 90 and to have a show that started when I was 2 tell a story to my junior year of high school with the end of Justice League it was incredible.

The only reason I rewatch it today besides what >>83535989 said is to catch all of the nuances i couldn't comprehend as a child.
>>
>>83536062

Didn't the episode with Tony Zucco win a Grammy?
>>
>>83536083
Now there are going to be some crap episodes. Penguin was never fully realized in the first series so most of his episodes are not that good. There's also the obligatory "Batman in my Basement" and one i cannot remember much about but Bruce Wayne looses his memory and joins a freak show.

Oh and another thing. While the show does not have an over arching plot what it does is set up and develop characters for the future. Bullock will never trust Batman but you see his relationship with Bats evolve over the series for example.
>>
>>83535989
*Western animation you mean.
>>
>>83537022

Did I fucking stutter?

And in honesty, while I'm sure there are some good crime-animes out there, I doubt there are any good serialised, as opposed to overarching plot crime animes.

Whether even the one's with overarching plots are as good as Batman the Animated Series is also open for debate.
>>
>>83535929
They should have called it, Batman animated, the series.
>>
>>83535929
If you haven't seen Beware the Batman, that one has the closest to what you're looking for. Other Batman shows are mostly episodic with occasional two-parters.
>>
>>83535963
Goddamn I've never heard of someone willing to gag on 3 cocks at once

How do you manage to do it?
>>
If you want overarching developments, it doesn't start in the DCAU until STAS.

BTAS is still good for what it is, but there's no value in watching every episode (especially when there are plenty of bad ones). What it does well is tone and shit.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.