[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could animation for adults ever be as profitable as children's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: fritz-the-cat.jpg (209 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fritz-the-cat.jpg
209 KB, 1280x720
Could animation for adults ever be as profitable as children's work? Or will it always be a niche audience?

Is "Sausage Party" the only hope we have for a potential Deadpool scenario of being a hit and proving to investors to make more adult works?
>>
>>83531926
No matter what happens, Casual americans will believe animation should strictly be for kids
>>
It takes a really long time to change prevailing opinions about things. Achieving acceptance of adult interest in cartoons in the Western world is almost like achieving acceptance of alternate lifestyles, except no one is fighting for the rights of cartoon fans. We'll always be the 'weird ones'. People will always think there's 'something wrong' with us.
>>
>ITT: let's pretend "Family Guy/South Park/The Simpsons..." doesn't exist
>>
>>83532213
They don't. Adult humor cartoons always slip under the radar. They're literally a non-issue. They're the only kind of socially accepted adult cartoon we can get.
>>
>>83532213
>"Look at these rare anomalies, clearly this deunks your theory!: The Post.

Those are literally the only adult animated works that are as profitable as something like Spongebob.
>>
>>83531926
It's possible. But you'don't have to market in a way that's accessible to a large audience, but aimed at adults that isn't comedy.
>>
File: 26176-Felidea, Amazon.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
26176-Felidea, Amazon.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
I guess this is as "non-counter-culture" as western adult animation was able to go.

I mean that in the sense that it wasn't based on alternative comix.
>>
imagine fucking sausage party redefining animation as we know it
>>
>>83532283
Before this thread continues do we need to establish that when you type "adult" you mean "sexual"?
>>
File: POP1.jpg (511 KB, 941x1066) Image search: [Google]
POP1.jpg
511 KB, 941x1066
>>83531956
That wasn't always the case. Once upon a time Bakshi's American Pop was a box office success.

It's my favorite Bakshi film and my second favorite movie. I'm really glad it's getting more recognition these days.
>>
>>83532394
Deadpool redefined the profitability of an R-rated movie, so who the fuck knows, anon.
>>
>>83532366
Felidae was German, though.
>>
File: wtf_disneyfied_cover.jpg (26 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
wtf_disneyfied_cover.jpg
26 KB, 214x317
A new cover of Fritz the Cat has censored the pose and added bullshit 90's shading to obscure crumbs unique style.

This is an indication of how serious people take adult animation these days.
>>
>>83532427
Nigga please, he mean with serious under tones or consistent plots. Early Simpsons actual was hitting all the right notes. But you know they had to keep milking that cow.

I would like to see a western animated movie about some historical events with big budgets. Like prince of Egypt except less bible. Give me the last flight of the red baron animated with a Disney budget
Or Billy the kids life in several shorts.
>>
>>83532724
Criterion'll just do a bakshi series and fix it.
>>
>>83532735
>Nigga please, he mean with serious under tones or consistent plots.
Some Disney films are basically close to being some of the best mature animated films around, but the obvious pandering to kids with funny comic reliefs totally ruin it. Tarzan, Atlantis, Hunchback. They could easily be on par with Prince of Egypt if it weren't for a couple of characters.
>>
>>83532735
>he mean with serious under tones or consistent plots

That's what I was hoping originally. But it seems like that might not be the case.
>>
>>83531926
>don't want to watch sausage party because shitty seth rogen and it looks stupid
>might be our only chance in who knows how long to make adult animation more mainstream

I'm so conflicted.
>>
>>83532869
Just jumping in, but sex shouldn't be thrown out altogether either. Plenty of live action films have sexual content without turning into a sexploitation movie.
>>
>>83532735
I don't see how the success of Sausage Party would be conducive to that outcome. Seems like studios would just opt for more crude comedies.
>>
>>83532870
If it succeeds, it could just backfire and make animation into even more of a ghetto. Adult works only work if you have sex and cursing!

TV adult works are stagnated into "The animation needs to always be shit and always be offensive". Why can't there be an adult cartoon that is a comedy but also has fucking nice visuals, like Wander or Gravity Falls? Why do they all need to be stiff, flat pieces of shit that look like napkin doodles? Have you seen HBO's latest adult animated comedy, "Animals"? It's one of the worst offenders of "fuck you animation" I've ever seen.

I can only think of a couple of shows that actually put in some effort in looking nice, and BOTH are made by Titmouse (Mike Tyson and Venture Bros). I'm hoping Nerdland succeeds, but it looks like it's just going to have a cult following based on the trailers and lack of marketing alone.

I wish The Goon was still in production. Fuck, that could have changed the game for adult comics so hard.
>>
>as profitable as children's work

This is you problem. The childrens stuff is more profitiable because of merchandising. That doesn't mean animation for adults has only been for a niche audience.
>>
>>83532934
I think there'll be a wave of crude animated comedies until it starts to get stale. Then once it gets stale there's the possibility that a more mature, emotional script'll get picked up as a change of pace.

Similar things have happened before, though it's far from a guarantee and would span several risky years.
>>
>>83532867
They keep inching on that border man, I mean the hung a man in tarzan. thats dam hard core
>>
>>83532942
>The animation needs to always be shit

That's just modern western animation in general.
>>
>>83531926
Fritz was fucking garbage and only furry-fuck /pol/ards like it
>>
We could all just watch Kubo and the two strings instead
>>
>>83532869
No, that's the case. At least, it's what I was talking about.

I mean, sexual content is great and all, but that's at the far end of the 'adult' spectrum. I can get sexy stuff on the internet whenever I want. What I can't get is a mature subject matter unless it's a comedy. And even then, it'll get dismissed by everyone I know if it's animated, because animated = 'for children', and that's not going to change for a long, long time.
>>
File: Homer Simpsons Acting.webm (2 MB, 288x216) Image search: [Google]
Homer Simpsons Acting.webm
2 MB, 288x216
>>83532981
With how much shit people give shows like Gravity Falls or Steven Universe for "bad animation", it NEVER gets as stale and lazy as something like Family Guy. At the very least, they're interesting to look at even if the animation is a little float or weightless. Whereas modern day Simpsons compared to now is a fucking travesty.
>>
>>83532977
Dude, there are so many Disney villains that meet a grisly end like that. Tarzan was just one of many.
>>
>>83533079
Snow White's stepmother got crushed by a boulder. The Loan Shark from Oliver and Co. drowned or froze to death in the Hudson. Ursula got stabbed by a boat, Call of Cthulhu style.

I think the only Disney villains that didn't meet some kind of gruesome end were Cinderella's stepmother, Edgar the butler, and Jafar.
>>
>>83533079
>>83533124
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDHrY4D-9s

Just grabbed a random vid. They're all pretty gruesome.
>>
>>83533162
Ha, I forgot that the loan shark got hit by a train. I just remembered the river for some reason.
>>
>>83533183
Well, they never show him getting hit, but even if he wasn't killed by the train (maybe he leaped free), the river would have killed him almost certainly. Showing the wreckage fall in the river pretty much just confirmed him as dead.
>>
>>83533237
I think it was the wreckage falling in that I remembered.

Syke in general was a dark as fuck villain.
>>
>>83533031
>it'll get dismissed by everyone I know if it's animated, because animated = 'for children'

Maybe by some people that you know. But do you think your the only one watching all of this stuff?
>>
>>83533031
>What I can't get is a mature subject matter unless it's a comedy.

Don't forget short films. Never forget short films.
>>
>>83531926
>Is "Sausage Party" the only hope we have for a potential Deadpool scenario of being a hit and proving to investors to make more adult works?
The fuck are you talking about? The only hope? Plenty are being made now: The McFarlane shows, Bojack, F is for Family, Rick & Morty and as much as I loathe them, Mr. Pickles and Brickleberry are all "adult" animation. And frankly Sausage Party looks to be at the lower common denominator appealing end of the spectrum.

Meanwhile the major Hollywood studios, Europe and Japan will continue to make animation that actual adults enjoy, but children can also watch. Because being for adults doesn't mean being edgy.
>>
>>83531956
When I went to see Up! in theaters, the majority of the audience were old couples. I saw Wreck it Ralph opening day and it was mostly 20-year olds. I also saw an advanced screening of Inside Out and it was all adults.

The MoMA in NYC also screened early animation works (A day of Looney Tunes, Bambi, Snow White) and it was a packed theater of all adults. There's more appreciation for the medium than we think. It's just that none of them are Oscar judges, so it doesn't "reflect" that.

But the Oscars have said they wanted to do an investigation on their judges for animated works because the last few years have had abysmal reasons for votes. Remember, there are actually passionate people who are nominating these films, but the judges are completely different group.

I think once the Oscars starts treating animation seriously, the general image will slowly change.
>>
File: foodorgy.png (202 KB, 919x2000) Image search: [Google]
foodorgy.png
202 KB, 919x2000
>Sausage party
>Being anything but a failure waiting to happen
>>
>>83533295
I think he's specifically talking about theatrical releases, not TV series. Adult animation has more than proved its salability in the television market. Big-budget Hollywood is a bit trickier. Even live action R-rated movies were generally mid budget because of mid-tier box office revenue. The fact that Deadpool made 700 mil was a huge surprise to the industry. It made back almost twenty times its 40 mil budget.
>>
>>83533335
They'll obviously cut this scene. At least in theatrical releases.

That's Unrated Version material if I've ever seen it.
>>
>>83533333
>nice quints

I think the prevailing opinion will start to die out with the baby boomers. The younger generations will be more open to cartoons as a respectable medium.
>>
File: myfingers.jpg (32 KB, 499x364) Image search: [Google]
myfingers.jpg
32 KB, 499x364
>>83532430
POIMENANTLY PUCKAAAAAAAD
>>
>>83533388
The younger generation will be spending all their time on facebook/ working for minimum wage, no chance of being able to watch movies let alone care.
>>
>>83533891
Movies are still the best form of social hanging, right next to eating out.
>>
>>83531926
Not just animation, but all movies for adults are dying, Anon. The industry knows that teens is where the money's at.
>>
>>83533891
Facebook is home to niggers and moms, anon. Every teenager I've met easily juggles movies and minimum wage jobs, while texting or hanging with friends, occasionally going to the movies.
>>
>>83533935
No one will go soon, it'll be Netflix/stream-controlled shit after a long days work.
>>
>>83533961
You obviously know very few
>>
>>83533979
You're obviously living in a culturally stagnant shithole.
>>
>>83533962
Doubt it. Even in torrent age, people still go to movies
>>
>>83534003
it's bait, it's so obviously bait and yet you still replied.
>>
>>83534034
What else am I gonna do? Something productive?
>>
>Deadpool
>an adult movie
If by adult you mean teenagers and manchildren.
>>
>>83533124
Pretty sure Sykes was killed when his car was hit by a train.
>>
>>83534328
Keep reading the thread. We get there.
>>
>>83533333
Quints tell the truth.
>>
>>83532724
And the girls are cool.
>>
Tim Miller is involved with the animated Goon movie, and the success of Deadpool has caused it to gain some traction now.

Don't give up hope.
>>
>>83531926
The chubby blonde was my favorite
>>
>>83531926
>Adults
>Watching cartoons
pick one
>>
>>83531926
Depends on where you draw the line for "animation".
The majority of what little people remember about Avatar was animated, and we all know how that turned out.
>>
>>83535850
And the red hair one is my favorite too.
>>
File: fritz-the-cat-00-650-75.jpg (46 KB, 650x363) Image search: [Google]
fritz-the-cat-00-650-75.jpg
46 KB, 650x363
>>83535850
>and so does fritz himself.
>>
>>83531926
But we're fans of the animation that exists already, why would we want a major change to the medium?
>>
>>83531926
Well, seeing that movies in the past 20 years that are not adaptations, sequels, or parts of a franchise that have made over a billion in international box office are Avatar, Titanic, Frozen and Zootopia, I'd say that animation has recently proven itself to have the possibility to indeed be profitable if it appeals to adults as well and not just kids. It certainly has potential
>>
>Adult Animation
>No mention to Urbance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_rXxp6KY8
>>
>>83532299
Spongebob wishes he made Simpsons money. It's literally a top 5 multimedia franchise.
>>
>>83533031
>I mean, sexual content is great and all, but that's at the far end of the 'adult' spectrum.
I'm actually kinda sick that "adult" at this point only means sexual, gross or gory while the writing is still teenage tier shit.
>>
>>83533031
You can, they're just not wide releases or mainstream successes.
>>
>>83533333
>But the Oscars have said they wanted to do an investigation on their judges for animated works because the last few years have had abysmal reasons for votes.
Well that's good to hear
>>
>>83533124
It's possible the villainess in Rescuers didn't end up eaten by her own pets.
>>
>>83535850
Mine too.
>>
>>83532299
Man, you need to expand your horizon - it's a big world out there.
>>
>>83533016
This to.

I've talked to people about it but they say the stop-motion animation freaks them out. Or the characters are too ugly. Both stupid excuses.

People need to support Kubo and the Two Strings.
>>
Why does everyone think Sausage Party will be the thing that will create the trend of adult animation.

How would this time be different then say when South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut which was both profitable and critically acclaimed?
>>
>>83532475
And based on a novel.
>>
>>83536817
I watched this a few months ago and the VAing needs a lot of work.
>>
>>83531926
Children's stuff is profitable because of the merchandising. That's where the main cash comes from
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.