[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inspired by the East and West thread. How could we improve cartoons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 620x372
Inspired by the East and West thread. How could we improve cartoons specifically from America? Many cartoons nowadays share too similar of an aesthetic and abuse the 3/4 perspective. Steven Universe is one of the only shows on right now that tries to have "striking" shots that give insight on the tone of the scene. Among that, most American cartoons are very poor at having a sense of weight and can't really do slapstick like they used to. What are your thoughts on the state of TV animation in America? What would you fix?
>>
I honestly don't get /co/'s hate for Japanese stuff. Where is america's Tokyo Godfathers? The way it's looking, American animation will never be anywhere near as it was in the golden age. All you have to do is have "muh deep lore" and "muh damaged characters" (not even that well) and people will eat it up.
>>
fuck off
>>
>>83516867
Hey reddit
>>
>>83517256
go back to /a/ jack ass
>>
THIS is what passes for character design?
>>
File: Magical Girl Starfire.webm (3 MB, 864x480) Image search: [Google]
Magical Girl Starfire.webm
3 MB, 864x480
>>83517321
yes
>>
>>83517290
How you doing Reddit?
>>
Just take a risk for once. I still maintain that the best animation we have in the west is Adult Swim, because of how varied and entertaining it is. Different art styles, different personalities, not trying to pander to social justice warriors or make pop culture references to try and be "with it", no lowest-common-denominator shit. They just do their own thing and make shows that entertain them, and as a result it entertains us as well. Which isn't to say these kinds of shows don't do that, but I wish they did it more. Gumball's pretty good at that.
>>
>>83517453
how are you /a/
>>
>>83517587

Lmao R u mad Japan is even doing cape cartoons better than the west now?
>>
>>83517377
>United States
>where originality and trying to create new stuff goes to die
>>
>>83516105

Honestly the system itself is a failure when it comes to actually making money off of animation (trying to rely on advertisements and
shitty quality kids toys instead of quality merch for kids and adults alike while the hype is strong for popular series) which in turn cripples creativity because no exec/investor/corporate
shill is willing to allow people to try shit outside of what's already proven to be somewhat successful and god forbid any budget that would allow for more complex shit than fucking 3/4 perspective.

The way to fix it is fairly obvious (continuously allow more complex and unique works to be created at a steady pace, allow works to build
off of each others successes while not being afraid to allow in new things to try them out, allow larger budgets but also actually utilize
popularity if it's fucking there and sell merch, etc.

It's just you know... not really going to happen though. We'd have to get a huge upheaval to actually see some change given how even successful series are getting treated.
>>
File: oh god my heart.webm (3 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
oh god my heart.webm
3 MB, 720x400
>>83517649
epic meme

>>83517693
ok
>>
le su bad mene :)
>>
>>83517587
Doing great but I'd recommend you lurk 2 years before posting

No need to thank me
>>
>>83517782

>wonderwoman goes for the neck

WHAT A SNAPPER!
>>
why dont you idiots make this stupid thread on /a/ you can bitch all you like there
>>
>>83517799
What is this in reference to?
>>
>>83517838
The only one ACTUALLY bitching here is you.
>>
>>83517827
how many cartoons have you seen one episode of SU and think thay all are like that

>>83517878
because its a fucking stupid thread you are trying to have every fucking day
>>
>>83517838
>People who care about animation on /co/ can't talk about it without criclejerking the newst show

Fuck off newfag
>>
>>83517939
how dose it have bad animation
>>
>>83517914 #
>how many cartoons have you seen one episode of SU and think thay all are

What are you trying to say?
>>
>>83517993
How does what have bad animation?
>>
>>83518006
>>83517969
>>
>>83518067
I can't read broken English.
>>
File: 66124806.jpg (98 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
66124806.jpg
98 KB, 400x400
>>83517536
>>
>>83517536
well technically the biggest example of "trying to pander to social justice warriors" (steven universe) are people who themselves share similar views, so they ARE making something for themselves
>>
File: 1427915911639.jpg (8 KB, 580x630) Image search: [Google]
1427915911639.jpg
8 KB, 580x630
>>83518067
How about you post like a non retard?
>>
>it's a /co/ gets triggered by its inferiority animation complex episode
I'm tired of seeing that episode. They play it like twice a day.
>>
>>83516105
Start hiring talent that wasn't trained at cal arts. Or start hiring conservative writers. The problem is that the creative industry is dominated by the political left.
>>
>>83517832
You are not funny. Stop it.
>>
>>83518267
>Start hiring talent that wasn't trained at cal arts

Cal arts isn't the problem. Its that they hire the WORST of Cal Arts. The good Cal Arts students go on to places like Disney nowadays. A few decades ago television animation was led by the big boys like Spielberg.
>>
File: tears.gif (183 KB, 539x703) Image search: [Google]
tears.gif
183 KB, 539x703
>>83518164
you first
>>
>>83516105

1: Hire someone who can actually animate, not a bunch of hip digital artists from tumblr

2: Hire someone who can actually direct a scene and understands cinematography, this can even be the same guy as the first one

3: Hire someone who can write a good long-running in-depth story as opposed to just endless one-off jokes

4: Don't make it for kids, don't hold back on your vision to please parents, SJWs or anyone else

5: Somehow get a network to fund and air it

Unfortunately the last one is pretty much impossible.
>>
>>83518267

Conservatives are the ones who have ensured cartoons are strictly "for kids" in America for the past half a century, including enforcing strict censorship on them. Shows that dare break the mold like Steven Universe are the ones made by leftists.

Go back to /pol/ with your retarded upside down worldview.
>>
>>83518340
My post was in perfectly readable english though.
>>
>>83518406
name one cartoon
>>
>>83518510
One cartoon that did this? Most recently, Motorcity.
>>
>>83518155
I suppose, but I still feel like those kinds of shows tend to wear their morals on their sleeves.

For example: the whole trope of women being "bossy" when in positions of authority, or being unable to have some kind of power. Look at Dr. Mrs. the Monarch, who blows the trope out of the water and no one questions it. They don't go out of their way to point it out and it's not made to be super-special or anything, that's just how it is. That's how I think it should be done.
>>
Stop merging writers and storyboards into a single position. There are very few people who are good at both, so either the writing or scene layout suffers.
>>
>>83518155
What part of SU panders to SJWs? Lesbian rocks? That was planned from the start rather than added JUST for that crowed, and I don't see any strawmen in there representing the patriarchy beyond an alien civilization that's against relationships in general.

That's like saying a non-burning American flag in a cartoon is pandering to /pol/.
>>
>>83518477
Are you suggesting that young conservatives don't like comics and cartoons. I'll tell you right now we do, but
Its near on impossible for conservatives to get backing for their ideas.
>>
>>83518477
I'd say that audince demographics have kept animation "strictly for kids", adult cartoons just haven't made money in the States.

Seems like you've got some worldview issues of your own.
>>
I'm watching Hotel Transylvania 2 right now and realized that most CN cartoons don't nearly have as much expressive movement nowadays. All the movements are so snappy and eloquent. Gendy needs to save CN.
>>
>>83519631
The last time he tried that, CN canned his show after one season
>>
>>83519665
Well there's a new exec now
>>
File: anime animation.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
anime animation.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
It would be nice to get something that looks like this more often.
>>
>>83523108
Honestly how can something like this compare to Ben 10 or Ren & Stimpy? It's so lifeless.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.