[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cyclops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: cyclops01.jpg (43 KB, 200x389) Image search: [Google]
cyclops01.jpg
43 KB, 200x389
http://archive.is/WtBct
>Cyclops has “lead” the X-Men on and off for over 40 years. However, over that same period he has managed to become one of the most disliked “heroes” in the Marvel Universe.

http://archive.is/6Udjp
>Q: Why all the hate for Cyclops?
>A: Because Cyclops is basically terrible.

>Yeah, I know, that’s exactly what I said about Aquaman. If I use it three times, though, it officially becomes a running gag, and that’ll come in handy the next time someone asks about Hawkman....
>I know otherwise rational people who insist that he’s not just the best X-Man, but one of the best characters ever. And they stick by this statement, even when you remind them that Cyclops is not Wolverine and therefore does not fight ninjas, like, all the time. It’s weird.

>This is how most of my conversations about Cyclops go. You can see how this is a problem. But the thing about Cyclops is that even if I agree with all that and see where he’s coming from, he’s still not Spider-Man. That might not sound fair. I mean, there are plenty of comic book characters who aren’t Spider-Man, and at least seven or eight of them are well worth reading about.

>...that’s the image of Cyclops that I have in my head whenever he shows up: The guy who frowns at all the cool characters and tries to stop them from doing awesome things because the Professor says and we have a responsibility and you can’t just stab everyone and not now Jean I have to program the Danger Room. And he kind of has to be that way, because there has to be someone providing the core of the team so that everyone else can orbit around it and push away; Wolverine wouldn’t be Wolverine if he didn’t have Cyclops to rebel against. I’d just rather read about the rebelling than the guy who tells him hey stop that, it’s after 10 and we have a noise policy here.

What is with the "Cyclops sucks" meme that Marvel and braindead retards like these fags are trying to push?
>>
He's a highly disciplined, no nonsense leader of his team because he feels the weight of responsibility on his shoulders for protecting the entirety of the mutant race. He takes what he does with deadly seriousness and his teammates find him rigid and hard headed for it
>>
File: 2627269-x_men_zone_022.jpg (512 KB, 1280x1968) Image search: [Google]
2627269-x_men_zone_022.jpg
512 KB, 1280x1968
90s kids watched the cartoon where he was a stick in the mud and wolverine was the cool bad boy and it stuck and got into the movies and now everyone hates poor Scott.

But he can take it, he can carry that weight.
>>
>>83511721
Cyclops was my favorite X-men, who wasn't a girl I had teen-lust for, when was a kid.
>>
File: 2016-06-04.png (189 KB, 368x475) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-04.png
189 KB, 368x475
>>83511800
yes but he also doesn't fight ninjas xD what a LOSER!
>>
File: rightclops.jpg (155 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
rightclops.jpg
155 KB, 2560x1440
I'm enjoying these daily Cyclops threads tbqh
>>
>>83511860
He was so right that he left
>>
>>83511850
These kind of "popular stuff" is what created writers like Bendis, cut it out
>>
>>83511806
>Blaming the cartoon
That's the worst part about it. I had the same theory, but recently my roommate and I have been rewatching the series and Cyclops actually is really cool, has tons of emotional range, and is just as snarky, rebellious at times, and angry as Logan.

People remember him completely wrong is the problem, and most of that is because of Jean.
>>
File: cyclops-mvc2fixd.jpg (124 KB, 700x870) Image search: [Google]
cyclops-mvc2fixd.jpg
124 KB, 700x870
does anybody have that interview where Grant Morrison said Cyclops was his favorite?

You know, I'm actually sort of curious about the overlap between people who are big Superman fans and big Cyclops fans. I'd wager that the types of people who hate Superman also hate Cyke.
>>
File: killmenow.jpg (43 KB, 844x469) Image search: [Google]
killmenow.jpg
43 KB, 844x469
>>83511721
How can you tell someone's opinion is shit? They like fighting ninja. There was even an entire video game made to drive home just how terrible fighting ninja is, but, no, some people still enjoy it.
>>
One of those links uses the Scott v the X-Men in the Proteus story as an example of Scott being shitty and I'm so mad.

>>83511721

This is Chris Sims right? Funny cause Batman and Cyclops are actually super similar characters. Scott just didn't have the privilege of all the money in the world
>>
>>83511940

Sims did a whole like episode by episode series recap on CA and I have no idea how/if his opinions changed. bet they didn't tho
>>
File: 1384845663061.jpg (38 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
1384845663061.jpg
38 KB, 400x402
>>83511721
This whole article reeks of faggotry from some guy with daddy issues.

Cyclops was and will always be my favourite X-Men character, because I actually read the old comics at a comic store when I was young.

Wolverine just came off as an edgy tryhard when I read stuff he was in later on.

Cyclops is a character whose story was over at the end of Uncanny X-Men or, if we REALLY stretch it, when Jean was revived originally.

The fact that they've dragged him out this long has only hurt him. I find it a shame he has to be remembered as being character-assassinated into being a villain because Marvel no longer likes his kind of hero (white, male, dutiful, disciplined, but smart and brave).
>>
>>83511721
>http://archive.is/6Udjp
>Cyclops sucks man
>I mean Wolverine is super cool
>but look at how cool Claremont made Cyclops
>I read the 90's X-Men and didn't like Cyclops in that
>Cyclops sucks
Chris Sims is dumb
>>
>>83511977
ellis also seems to find him interesting and basically called him the closest equivalent marvel has to an actual batman.
>>
>>83511912
>Hawkeye is boring
>turn him into ninja and use some other name
>>
>>83511987
>Funny cause Batman and Cyclops are actually super similar characters

I can see that. Batman doesn't want people to have to suffer the way he did as a child, and Cyclops doesn't want people to have to suffer the way he did. Both are willing to protect people at the cost of their own lives.

I think the difference is that Batman does what he does out of feelings of guilt, while Cyclops does what he does out of duty.

There's also the fact that Batman is applauded for heroism, while the Marvel universe has every single hero and villain gang up on Scott for doing the right thing.
>>
>>83512127
Hawk Eyes?
>>
>>83512057
>white male

Why do you fags have to play into this shitty narrative? Don't fucking frame everything in the context of gender and race. There isn't a single one of these characters that represents men, women, white people, black people or any other kind of political identity of that nature. Cyclops does not represent white men in the same way that Storm does not represent black women. You've let your mind get infected with this racial persecution complex
>>
I find everything about Wolverine and Japan incredibly cringy, all the Wolverine weaboo stories actually remind me of 4chan.
>>
File: 1458176199849.png (629 KB, 680x951) Image search: [Google]
1458176199849.png
629 KB, 680x951
>>83512191
>>
>>83512174
Ha!
Love you, anon.
>>
>>83512205
wolverine was only good when he was a weeb
>>
>>83511800

Add that ontop of how much guilt he has for killing Xavier that he refused to admit. He knows he will never be able to be as good as Xavier in terms of helping the mutant race. He never will because the world will forever know that he killed Professor Xavier, the man that he admired the most
>>
>>83511721
>why all the hate for Cyclops?
>>Because Cyclops is basically terrible.
>>Yeah, I know, that’s exactly what I said about Aquaman
Oh yeah, two sentences in and opinion discarded already. I don't agree with a lot of his recent decisions, but Cyke has a long history of being a damn fine character.
>>
File: 1426482610578.jpg (40 KB, 552x559) Image search: [Google]
1426482610578.jpg
40 KB, 552x559
>>83512191
The fuck is your problem?

I looked up to white male characters like Cyclops when I was a kid over the black ones because they looked more like me.

Referencing that Marvel is trying to phase that kind of character out is a statement of fact, not a 'persecution complex.'

The only one left off the top of my head of their current runs is Tony Stark, and that's because RDJ sells movie tickets.
>>
File: Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_168_001.jpg (148 KB, 400x537) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_168_001.jpg
148 KB, 400x537
>>83512275

Also Xavier is a fucking monster but no one remembers because he can mind wipe them
>>
>>83512223
What do you think you're getting across by showing me this? Don't fucking go to Salon and spread every single article they post around the places that you spend your time if you don't like them. They're allowed to write shit like that if they want anon, it doesn't justify your pathetic white male persecution complex that you've adopted. You've literally just tried to make Cyclops out to be a pitiful victim of white male persecution and you don't even realize it. You're just like them, clamoring for victim status where ever you can. Just fucking stop. Stop surrounding yourself with blogs explicitly featuring things you hate if you truly don't like them.
>>
>>83511721
>But the thing about Cyclops is that even if I agree with all that and see where he’s coming from, he’s still not Spider-Man. That might not sound fair. I mean, there are plenty of comic book characters who aren’t Spider-Man, and at least seven or eight of them are well worth reading about.

why are spiderfags such universally shit people
>>
remember when cyke abandoned his wife and son for JEEEEEAAAAAAANNNNNNNN?

he's always been a fucking prick.
>>
>>83511850
He solo'd some dinosaurs one time tho, that was pretty cool
>>
File: 1446253365171.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2500) Image search: [Google]
1446253365171.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2500
>>83512364
>>
>>83512326
Yeah, that just means you were and still are deeply ignorant and have a simplistic conception of who these characters are and what these stories are about. It's a requirement for simple minded people to have to see themselves in the characters they can read because they are wholly unableb to extend their thinking beyond themselves
>>
>>83512154
true, but to be fair Batman is a fucking asshole too.
>>
File: 4604713-untitled-1.jpg (875 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4604713-untitled-1.jpg
875 KB, 1280x720
>>83512364
>marvel does not support the genocide of whites
>>
File: cykeapproves.jpg (111 KB, 232x345) Image search: [Google]
cykeapproves.jpg
111 KB, 232x345
>>83512191
I understand where you're coming from with "don't let that shit poison your thoughts" but >>83512057 is right to an extent. You think they're about to genderswap Blob? Or create any new black villains? Not a chance.

>>83512326
>Referencing that Marvel is trying to phase that kind of character out is a statement of fact, not a 'persecution complex.'
this. It's not just Marvel though. It's the same kind of thought behind BvS (Heroes are to be town down) and Suicide Squad (they're just misunderstood underdogs).
>>
>>83511721
Is this faggot serious? "I don't like him because he's not Wolverine!" I don't want a person like this writing anything at all.
>>
File: 1424595883393.jpg (63 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1424595883393.jpg
63 KB, 1440x1080
>>83512364
Neither of us are clamouring to say we're oppressed, we're pointing out the obvious.

Stop getting so offended over these things. If you don't like what we're saying, don't reply :^)

See how stupid you sound?

Captcha: select all street signs.

>>83512447
Why? Because as a child I wanted role models like me, that I could look up to and felt like I wanted to become?

I hope you kill yourself, honestly, daddy-issues.
>>
File: 1461573997936.png (82 KB, 926x656) Image search: [Google]
1461573997936.png
82 KB, 926x656
>>83512472
>>
>>83512428
They've done shit exactly the same as this gimmick every year or two for the last decade. It means nothing. We still have decades of comic canon that they cannot change.
>>
>>83512326
>Spider-Man no longer exists.
>Neither does Moon Knight or Old Man Logan
>who the fuck is Hyperion?
>Hercules who?
>>
>>83512472

what fucking Suicide Squad are you reading

>>83512372

the article goes into some depth about why he thinks Spidey has the similar "Forcing yourself forward and doing the right thing" thing that Cyke has
>>
>>83512057
>This whole article reeks of faggotry from some guy with daddy issues.

You know, I've noticed this a lot in comics. Batman nowadays focuses on Thomas Wayne's influences on Bruce a lot more than Martha, Superman always has Jor-El and Pa Kent, modern Flash grew up with a dead mom (and the show hands out new dads like candy.)

I've got a theory that a lot of the people writing now grew up with Boomer dads who worked long hours at factory jobs or something, so they never had a father figure near them. It seems as if a lot of comic book characters either fill those surrogate father roles or are self-inserts for the writers' own issues.
>>
>>83512496
What did you do other than paint your understanding of Cyclops to be entirely defined by the persecution of white males, which you feel you yourself ate a victim of?
>>
>>83512428
>>83512466
>12 out of 27 shown are white males
>MARVEL TRYING TO KEEP US WHITE DUDES DOWN

jesus
>>
>>83512472
All you're doing to submitting to the guiding leadership of these ideologies that you hate, allowing them to form your perceptions and your understandings of these characters.
>>
>>83512647
the niggification of western society
>>
>>83512466
>white male front and center
>four additional white males
>black character that has existed for decades
>white woman that has existed for decades
>black character that has existed for decades sharing a legacy name
>three additional minority legacies
>Alt-U white woman legacy
>a native american
>a robot
White males still have the most representation with white women close behind. Almost 2/3 of characters are white (Vision doesn't count for any race) which is roughly proportional to the American population.
>>
File: party pooper supreme.jpg (186 KB, 531x567) Image search: [Google]
party pooper supreme.jpg
186 KB, 531x567
>>83511721
My going theory is that Cyclops is too real for most cape fans, and by direct expension most writers as well (since 90% of all writers today are essentially just fans that get paid to write fanfiction).

Characters like Wolverine are the cool guys that every child and manchild wants to be. They're the tough guys who don't take shit from anyone, who can get away with almost anything, and who have that dark and gritty edge to them that 13 year olds try to replicate in their Sonic the Hedgehog OCs. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Wolverine is just that. He can be amazing in the right hands. But it's the image that counts.

When people contrast a character like Wolverine with a character like Cyclops, people are usually quick to point out the superficial differences. Wolverine is the cool bad-boy rebel, while Cyclops is the uptight straight-laced boyscout. The eternal party pooper, only there to complain about Wolverine's immaturity and irresponsibility, making him even cooler by contrast.

And while that's true to a certain extent, I don't think that's the real reason why people dislike Cyclops. Captain America is a straight-laced boyscout as well much of the time, but he doesn't catch nearly as much flak for it.

The reason, as I mentioned above, is that Cyclops is too real. Wolverine is the guy our inner manchild desperately wants to be, but Cyclops is much closer to the guys we really are and (perhaps even worse) the guys we're expected to be. The responsible guy who does his homework and goes to bed early instead of partying all night long. The guy who fucks up and has to live with the consequences instead of running away from it (which is more Wolverine's thing). The guy who never quite feels at home, but does what he can anyway. The guy who fails, who doubts himself, but for whom that failure and doubt is also a constant inspiration to be better.
>>
File: sadHulk.jpg (201 KB, 492x398) Image search: [Google]
sadHulk.jpg
201 KB, 492x398
>>83512499

>>83512581
I realized as soon as I jumped from comics to movies someone would hit me for that. I'm talking about the way our culture treats heroism and genre-fiction as a whole. I understand that comparing comicbook Cyclops to unrealsed-movie Boomerang is apples-oranges, but my point is about fruit in general.
>>
>>83512618
Dead/missing parents are super common.
>I have no father figure!
>better start robbing banks
>I have dead mother!
>no kid will live without their moms >:(
Remember how Tim was fresh for having living family and all? Until they got Boomerang'd.
>>
>>83512712
And if that last part sounds familiar, good. It's supposed to. Because the same thing is true, with relatively minor differences, for several other great characters that many writers seem to hate, like Hank Pym.
>>
>>83511721
It's "led", you fucking idiot. You lead in the present tense, you led in the past tense.
>>
>>83512499
>heroes can't face moral dilemmas.
That's a pretty shit idea, plus conflating two writers (one of which is known for his edge) is retarded.

Also the knock-off Thor wasn't killed by the Ultimates but by Nerd Hulk as a vampire.
>>
>>83512684
I've seen it happen so many times with white men who get caught up in this pitiful racial persecution complex, literally just ranting about how women and non white people are keeping them down and oppressing them. These are of course the exact same people who would criticize black men for complaining about white people holding them down, but as soon as they got the chance they all jumped on the racial persecution train.

It's ironic that these guys are saying they like Cyclops so much too, when he is defined as a character by his capacity to overcome and disregard all of the unjust and unfair hatred levied against him by society and still hold to his ideals and his sense of duty even though he gets nothing but hatred for it
>>
>>83512512
I stopped reading as many comics of late because of my job and university, I'll probably catch up on a few select titles when I have a chance.

Said off the top of my head, by the way, not "I just did thorough research and have extrapolated exactly 17 results."

Is Spider-Man Peter? I thought they brought Miles into 616. Didn't know Moon Knight still existed given I never hear anything about the character tbqh, figured they'd kill him off or something, I do quite like him, hope he goes to Netflix.

>>83512618
I've actually theorised the bit about comic characters filling surrogate father roles for awhile, first it was as you said, the lack of a father figure, and recently I've seen it as 'defiance of the father figure.'

Where the writers express how much they hate 'strict' characters by writing them into villain roles or just getting rid of them, because daddy didn't buy them an ice cream once.

>>83512647
Never said I felt like a victim, every day I like to sit back, toss back a beer or a couple shots and relish in the fact that I'm a white male, because Lord only knows what else I could be.

Doesn't mean Marvel isn't trying to write them out of their comics.

>>83512684
>>83512697
>change characters that have always been white males into insert-your-oppression-of-the-month
>how dare you disagree with Marvel's actions!

Here's a tip, too: we don't need 2/3rds in rough proportionality with the American population, because white males are the ones that buy comic books.

The new 'feminist' books and 'racial diversity' books are just a shallow marketing scheme to get upboats on Reddit.

Marvel's gone as far lately as turning Captain Britain into a Muslim woman. That was almost the point at which I wanted to drop comic books. I'll wait until they replace Dr. Strange with Neil DeGrasse Tyson first.
>>
File: unsolicited opinions on israel.png (318 KB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
unsolicited opinions on israel.png
318 KB, 500x509
>>83512831
>>better start robbing banks
>>I have dead mother!
>>no kid will live without their moms >:(
>Remember how Tim was fresh for having living family and all? Until they got Boomerang'd.
>>
>>83512857
>i dont read comics

nigga, if you dont even know what the fuck you're talking about why are you shitposting here?
>>
>>83512693
Nah, you've just sold out to a defeatist persecution complex
>>
>>83512919
I'm sure I've read more comics than you, buddy. Just not as many in the past, what, 5 months?

You need to take a drink. It's about noon West Coast, 3 East, sounds like a good time for you.
>>
File: two monkeys.png (3 MB, 1275x1101) Image search: [Google]
two monkeys.png
3 MB, 1275x1101
>>83512929
which chimp most resembles you
>>
>>83512857
>Here's a tip, too: we don't need 2/3rds in rough proportionality with the American population, because white males are the ones that buy comic books.

translation: please keep pandering only to me.

Either way Ms. Marvel and FemThor sell well so they dont need to just pander to you.
>>
>>83512919
>WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH EVERYBODY SHOULD READ MARBLE'S LITERAL SHIT OR ELSE YOURE NOT ALLOWED IN MY SAFE SPACE
>>
>>83512945

you said turned Captain Britain into a muslim woman happened lately. Motherfucker that was an alternate universe event tie in from 2013

take your weak shit outta here
>>
>>83512982
>im going to criticize something without knowing anything and look like an idiot
>>
>you guys are actually letting this internet war faggot derail a Cyke thread

sad tbqh
>>
>>83512945
if the only white male in comics you can think of is fucking tony stark then i doubt you read much of anything or maybe youre just stupid.
>>
File: image.jpg (304 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
304 KB, 600x911
>>83511721
same writer
>>
>>83512857
>>change characters that have always been white males into insert-your-oppression-of-the-month
>Oh no, a long time Cap supporting character has taken over his mantle, that's never happened before
>A black Spider-Man from an alternate universe who isn't even the main Spider-Man, may horrors never cease
>Thor is a woman? Happened before, her book sucks but the concept of a woman taking the hammer isn't new to CURRENT YEAR
>Ms. Marvel is muslim. The old Ms. Marvel is now Captain Marvel which is not only a more "prestigious" title but one that was held by a black woman

None of this shit is new or exciting and the fact that it bothers you so much is ridiculous
>>
>>83512900
That panel can't be fucking real.
>>
>>83511977
Does Superman pout like he's the only person doing superhero work and sleep with women that try to kill Lois?
>>
>>83513049
*in marvel comics
>>
>>83512857
White men aren't a single unified group. You're just another collectivist who can't understand just how different we all are from one another. I hate that you try to associate yourself with me based on race and gender. We're nothing alike in terms of our thinking.
>>
>>83513021
It just kind of proves what everyone already knew; numales and nigs cannot handle the idea of a hero who does the right thing and happens to be white. They think Cyclops has to be torn down and destroyed
>>
>>83513063
It gets shitposted literally every day, how can you be this new to have not seen it before?
>>
>>83513021
Bunch of berrypickers, I say.
Also, /co/mrades never miss chance to take bait if it's SJW flavored.
>>
>>83513069

hey I said he was a Batman
>>
>>83513058
Holy shit. People actually bought this.
>>
File: cuck community.jpg (42 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
cuck community.jpg
42 KB, 300x298
>>83513090
cease your chimpout

>>83513063
it is
>>
>>83513021
Why don't you personally post some rad Cyclops shit instead of signaling your righteous indignation? I mean, I agree with you that it's sad, but let's turn it around
>>
>>83511977
I love Superman and I hate Cyclops but I like Cyclops BECAUSE I hate him if that makes sense. I like that he's the stick in the mud control freak with enormous psychological issues and huge control freak because he hasn't been able to look at people without hurting them since he was ten years old. I like that he's the NO FUN ALLOWED guy because somebody on the team had to be, he had the responsibility shouldered onto him and he's endured it ever since. It makes him compelling. I love reading about him and watching him fuck up, even if I dislike him as a person.
>>
>>83513101
Because /co/ is a bit shitty and I only come here occasionally.
>>
>>83513120
whats the problem here besides some /pol/ autism about racemixing?

are you gonna crop all the panels where danny rand kisses mysty or all the pages between luke cage and jessica jones?
>>
>>83513058
Cyclops should put Wolverine down.
>>
>>83513120
All you've done is attempt to post examples of what you perceive are signs of your persecution as a white man. You actively surround yourself with feminist rhetoric and multiculturalism, then act like it's society foisting it upon you. It's just been you and the people you hang out with that do it to yourselves.
>>
File: 1461364763553.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1461364763553.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83513135
rad or lewd?
>>
File: MUH STEM p1.jpg (163 KB, 680x1039) Image search: [Google]
MUH STEM p1.jpg
163 KB, 680x1039
>>83513212
>I love Superman and I hate Cyclops but I like Cyclops BECAUSE I hate him if that makes sense. I like that he's the stick in the mud control freak with enormous psychological issues and huge control freak because he hasn't been able to look at people without hurting them since he was ten years old. I like that he's the NO FUN ALLOWED guy because somebody on the team had to be, he had the responsibility shouldered onto him and he's endured it ever since. It makes him compelling. I love reading about him and watching him fuck up, even if I dislike him as a person.
>>
>>83513135

i don't have any and it's just gonna be that handful of Whedon pages
>>
>>83512963
No, translation: sell to your demographic, don't make it upset with you.

When Marvel gave Falcon Cap's legacy I stopped paying for their comics because I refuse to support it.

Also: nice strawman.

>>83512995
It did happen lately. 3 years ago isn't that long. Maybe it is for you when it's, what, 1/5th of your entire life so far?

But 3 years ago I was still in university. It's not that long.

>>83513049
I'm talking on-goings, buddy.

I am glad to see I've brought out the trigger brigade, though.

Someone even used 'translation:' to strawman my statement, a very classic Tumblrism, in my experience.

>>83513062
The part that bothers me is that they're forcing it for the diversity trend.

It's not races alone, it's things like Squirrel Girl and that fucking bimbo they have as a scientist spouting off about how 'superheroes don't need a Y-chromosome.'

If they weren't politicising it, I'd care much less. But you aren't here to listen to what I'm saying, you're here to strawman and rave.

>>83513090
We're one group in America, that's for sure, because no one but us will represent our interests.

When I lived in Russia, I was a Russian, not 'white.' Such a concept is foreign to a nation. But America is no nation, America is a country, and too polyethnic to be a nation. So I become white here.

>>83513174
>there is no problem here

Well, the race-mixing part is enough of a problem, but let's set that aside.

She's acting like a huge cunt to Thor while doing it, too.

>>83513212
No, we don't actively surround ourselves with it, it's pushed on us. I don't say 'man I can't wait to go outside and look at this amazing multicultural campus (and by multicultural, I mean 90% Asian and 5% white) that I work and study at!
>>
File: MUH STEM p2.jpg (159 KB, 680x1111) Image search: [Google]
MUH STEM p2.jpg
159 KB, 680x1111
>>83513212
>>83513228
whoops, didn't mean to quote that
>>
>>83513226

i'm shocked no one has done like a Morrison thing with Erik the Red as Cyke's repressed sexuality or something. tho i guess the story would have to happen before he and Jean hooked up
>>
>>83513226
He even has X over his chest.
>>83513228
Oppressive Five.
>>83513230
>Warren, you useless fuck
>>
File: 1455744358060.jpg (24 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
1455744358060.jpg
24 KB, 400x271
>>83513021
This anon is right, I didn't intend to let my statement derail the thread. I did manage to become guaranteed replies: the person, though.

I'll take my leave so the shitposting stops. Glad to see that /co/'s always got some lovers of Marvel's best.

Cheers, lads.
>>
>>83511806
>>83511940
i actually hated Wolverine in the cartoon because he could never use his claws on anyone. yeah, he could cut robots and cyborgs but that doesn't count, anyone can beat robots and cyborgs. at least Cyclops could shoot people with his laser.
>>
>>83513305
>i'm shocked no one has done like a Morrison thing with Erik the Red as Cyke's repressed sexuality or something
That was joked about in one of the SW tie-ins. Not sure which one though.

Wasn't '92
>>
>>83512857
If your identity hinges on being a white male, you've let the collectivist identity politics you're claiming to hate buy out your thinking and define your perception of yourself and the world around you. I'm a man of Western/European descent and we're nothing alike.
>>
>>83511940

I always thought it was the cartoon as well. I've never gone back and watched it as a kid. but from when I remember he was just boring, I always liked morph the most followed by gambit and rogue, as I kid I guess I just really liked their backstories and characterization more than sniktbub. and cyclopes didn't really register much with me until I read the comic. from the comic I recall him being loyal, smart, heroic, and having a pretty awesome super powers compared to the other x-men, but there were some runs where he was more written as a bratty jerk mostly to push more wolverine down the readers throat, maybe it's more the comics than the cartoon that soured him with some people.
>>
>>83513336
>i actually hated Wolverine in the cartoon because he could never use his claws on anyone.
Same shit with Leonardo and Rafael in TMNT.
>omg, Leonardo cut Shredder's fucking head off!
>oh, Shredder isn't actually human and is controlled from belly a la Krang
>>
>>83513263
You push it on yourself faggot. You feast on it
>>
>>83512963
https://popcultureuncovered.com/2016/04/18/comics-youve-got-your-diversity-so-why-dont-you-buy-them/

KEK
>>
>>83513263
>small dick syndrome the post

Posting /pol shit in other boards should be an automatic ban.

And why people keep entertaining you retards outside of /pol is beyond me.
>>
>>83513347

maybe Inferno? I didn't read any of the X-tie ins because I don't have affinity for any of those X-Eras.

Really weird Inferno was the closest to a Claremont era tie in there was. Like does Marvel have a vendetta with the dude
>>
>>83513263
>If they weren't politicising it, I'd care much less. But you aren't here to listen to what I'm saying, you're here to strawman and rave

Most of the big books aren't politicizing it and the only one that is (Thor) doesn't do it as the focus. The ridiculous political books aren't big or the "main" books in any way.

Squirrel Girl is bad but has little to no politics (or at least the issues I read before dropping it didn't). Mockingbird (the book that actually has the Y-chromosome page) isn't big or important..

I'm not strawmaning you in any way. You posted pictures of Marvel promotional line-ups as if the reasonable level of non-whites was somehow offensive. All I did was point out how dumb of an attitude that is
>>
>>83513165
>a bit
>>
File: but muh pronouns.jpg (356 KB, 1254x1172) Image search: [Google]
but muh pronouns.jpg
356 KB, 1254x1172
>>83513482
>>
>>83513263
>Scottfags are white meninists.

Very not surprised.
>>
>>83513482
>(Thor) doesn't do it as the focus
>>83513120
>>83512900
>Not to mention "I'm gonna let you arrest me because we are both women and GRRL power."
>>
>>83513439
>everything I don't like is /pol/

posting tumblrshit should be a permaban imho
>>
>>83513324
Wow. You are a huge fucking faggot.
Don't even know which posts were yours. Don't care. 100% faggotry right here.
>>
>>83513540
It was actually a /pol. Either take that shit where it belongs or shut the fuck up entirely. It's not hard.
>>
>>83513439
>le /pol/ boogeyman meme
>getting this mad
Calm your tits, man.
>>
>>83513515
Actually, Squirrel girl has a point. The use of "they" as a third-person pronoun for a singular entity of unknown gender is linguistically correct. It's not a question of sensibilities - she's right for the wrong reason.
>>
File: Marvel Then and Now.jpg (431 KB, 1360x1024) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Then and Now.jpg
431 KB, 1360x1024
>>
>>83513515
>One page that's more about a bad language joke than any kind of gender politics
>>83513532
>>Not to mention "I'm gonna let you arrest me because we are both women and GRRL power."'

Literally two pages out of a book. The book sucks but the politics are mostly limited to the panels that get posted on /co/.

Also the other two aren't from Thor. Read some fucking comics or at least learn to recognize art. I'm not trying to imply there aren't dumb politics in comics but it's not in the majority of books (unless the existence of minorities triggers you) and it isn't even the majority of the books it is in.
>>
File: Marvel.jpg (897 KB, 1444x1097) Image search: [Google]
Marvel.jpg
897 KB, 1444x1097
>>83513749
>>
>>83513749
>it's comedy, bro
>>83513769
>Avengers vs Avengers
So... Civil War II?
>>
File: cyclops collapsing.jpg (412 KB, 1233x967) Image search: [Google]
cyclops collapsing.jpg
412 KB, 1233x967
>mfw i thought this would be a nice Cyclops thread
>>
>>83513396
To be fair, comic books are a dying medium. We'd likely see declining sales regardless.

If anything, I'd think that the desperate pandering to diversity politics has been keeping them afloat; but I admit, that's a completely unsubstantiated opinion.
>>
>>83513573
>being this new
>>
File: Marvel.png (3 MB, 1228x950) Image search: [Google]
Marvel.png
3 MB, 1228x950
>>83513769
>liking modern Marvel

They have been butchering the X-Men for a few years. After Claremont the X-Men were left out in the wilderness in terms of comics.

New X-Men was great and started a few decent good bits.

Cyclops is disliked as this anon says:
>>83511806
The cartoon really had an effect on people's psyche andthey don't realise it as good in places because it took really good comic events.

Cyclops will always be the stick in the mud shafter for other people. The X-Men have had a massive problem of characterisation both in comics and movies because they stuff the books with every known character and then have to keep focus on popular characters. Think of all those forgotten mutants left to the wayside so the next writer can forget they exist.

X-Men has a big problem and Cyclops is a massive representation of how they don't know where to take it.

>>83513788
>>it's comedy, bro
I know it is. That image is an exageration but things really have changed.

The comedic light tone of books like Superior Foes, Squirrel Girl, Hawkeye really pushed themselves on other titles.
>>
>>83513818
>I admit, that's a completely unsubstantiated opinion.

especially when it actually goes against the facts
>>
/pol/ is completely full of shit about white genocide and race mixing because they blame everyone else for their own inability to get out from behind their computers and get laid (just like Tumblr!) but that doesn't make these pander happy books and their shit art and writing any better.
>>
>>83514001
You just seem to be externalising your own issues instead of adding to the discussion.

/pol/ and SJW types (like you) are just as bad as each other. Someone made a criticism that they don't know how to handle a character like Scott and mentioned him being white and what happens? You both get angry and make everything about your own ideologies instead of talking about comics.

So /pol/ needs to fuck off back there. And you, you need to fuck off back to tumblr.
>>
I just wanted to talk about cyclops. can't the marvel hate thread stay contained to one
>>
>>83514001
It doesn't, believe me I hate this shit too, but I hate being perceived as a white menist faggot when I criticize this kind of shit because these faggots have so fervently claimed opposition to liberal collectivism in the name of white male persecution. I don't identify with that kind of shit at all.

I'm opposed to all collectivist identify politics, and that includes "white male" collectivism.
>>
File: 1436756236129.jpg (501 KB, 640x984) Image search: [Google]
1436756236129.jpg
501 KB, 640x984
Fuck Scott.
>>
File: 1434574222458.jpg (469 KB, 640x984) Image search: [Google]
1434574222458.jpg
469 KB, 640x984
>>83514259
>>
File: 1444537932448.jpg (519 KB, 640x984) Image search: [Google]
1444537932448.jpg
519 KB, 640x984
>>83514276
>>
File: 1441433184525.jpg (471 KB, 640x984) Image search: [Google]
1441433184525.jpg
471 KB, 640x984
>>83514291
>>
>>83514308
>>83514291
>>83514276
>>83514259
No, fuck bad writing.

I haven't read X-Men in a few years. Is this what it has been reduced to?

I have a load of omnibus editions. I have a load of claremont/bryne comics. I have more modern stuff like Morrison and Whedon stuff.

Is this what the X-Men is now?

Scott is fine. The writing is shit.
>>
>>83514401
>I haven't read X-Men in a few years. Is this what it has been reduced to?
It's worse. Hilariously worse. Both writing and art.
>>
>>83511977
I despise superman(at least the modern conception of the character) but love cyclops.
the difference is that cyclops in universe isn't the most beloved adored person who always solves all problems by doing the right thing.
He's treated more like superman was in Kingdom come, but he doesn't get all whiny about it and keeps going no matter how much shit he has to take.
>>
File: Cyclops02.jpg (1 MB, 2622x2000) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops02.jpg
1 MB, 2622x2000
>>83512756
Except Scott is a leader of men and generally in complete control of himself.
>>
>>83514509
Speaking of control, remember how he wakes up with eyes closed?
Am I only one who really loves those Acolyte suits?
>>
>>83514509
I'm not implying Pym and Scott are the same type of characters, just that people hate them for remarkably similar reasons even though they're both (in my opinion) great characters with far more potential than guys like Wolverine.
>>
>>83514436
Cyclops is a guy who'd be put in a situation in which he would have to sacrifice a member if his own team in order to complete the mission he was tasked with, at the cost of taking the resentment and hatred of everyone else. It would be a necessary sacrifice and ultimately the right decision, but it's not the sentimental choice. Cyclops can't afford to be emotional in his thinking, but taking up this role on the team allows everyone else to feel less guilt themselves.
>>
File: 3405782-4575662822-30354.jpg (197 KB, 858x676) Image search: [Google]
3405782-4575662822-30354.jpg
197 KB, 858x676
>>83511721
>What is with the "Cyclops sucks" meme that Marvel and braindead retards like these fags are trying to push?
Read:
>>83514259
>>83514276
>>83514291
>>83514308
Like this anon says:
>>83514509
>Except Scott is a leader of men and generally in complete control of himself.
Scott WAS a leader of men and in control of himself. His character has been reduced to petty squabble man.

Writers have ruined his character. The stick in the mud who some admired is now a boring squabbling dewb.
>>
>>83514291
iirc Wanda killed

-mutants who were flying and fell to the ground when they were depowered
-mutants who could breath on water and were swimming drowned to death
-Amara/Magma was swimming in lava with her boyfriend who had powers similar to her, he burned alive
-mutants with strange phisyologies who could only survive as mutants.
>>
I like teen Cyclops from Evo, does that count
>>
>>83514612
And that happened across multiverse, even.
>>
File: Cyclops16.jpg (518 KB, 1280x2002) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops16.jpg
518 KB, 1280x2002
>>83514541
I thought Scott slept with a visor stuck to his head.
>>
>>83514681
Jesus Wolverine is a creep.
>>
>>83514401
>>83514424
This wasn't X-Men. This was some TV writer retconning Bendis' Wanda hate-fest at Cyclops' expense.
>>
>>83511806
Wonder Woman is a man now? Fucking SJWs ruined everything! He's not even wearing booty shorts!
>>
File: Cyclops34.jpg (606 KB, 1280x2052) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops34.jpg
606 KB, 1280x2052
>>83514999
That is true.
>>
>>83511977
Morrison cyclops is one of the best cyclops incarnations, he's also the one who rocks that awesome new x men uniform the best
>>
>>83514291
>The question is how do you want to be treated when it happens to you?
He hexed him didn't he?
Also my problem with these run downs isn't that they're calling people out, but how everyone sort of just ignores them quickly after.

What's the point of bringing up an argument you're not going to address writer? It doesn't sate the matter it inflates and then deflates it. You can't have your cake and eat it, you can't make World War Hulk a big deal at the time and everyone just shrugs 5 minutes later. Vice versa don't have characters hold a grudge against the unpopular cast but the people with sales get off Mister Miracle. It just introduces a 4th Wall Force that dilutes any meaning to anything said or done. You may as well replace arguments with variants of "I'm popular. You're not" since that's what it comes down to.
>>
I'd rather read about the hard pushed leader trying to keep egos in line and just run a school (with a hero team) rather than yet another wolverine just not playing by the rules because he is edgy. I mean that's just me.
>>
>>83515748
Logan is like that one guy who hangs out at the mall trying to pick up girls and they just laugh at him.
>>
>>83515748
>>83514681

reminder Scott and Emma hooking up is blessed by Phoenix Jean
>>
>>83515748
Emma looked rather old in Astonishing.
>>
>>83516654
Well, if they didn't hook up, we'd get (yet another) post-apocalyptic future.
Besides, they're muh OT3.
With lots of kinky.
>>
We need to stop having Cyclops threads, the dude is dead and isn't coming back. The young one isn't even really the same character any more.
>>
wouldn't Cyclop's laser blasts just blast the sunglasses right off
>>
>>83516865
No, dumbass. Scott wears sunglasses laced with ruby quartz, which holds back his optic blasts.
>>
>>83516726
Fine, lets change subject
BvS is masterpiece, you're all too stupid to get it.
>>83516865
Ruby quartz. It blocks beams completely.
>>
>>83516595
The ideal is to have both, in addition to a well rounded team full of expressive personalities that play off one another and not play favorites with them
>>
>>83516945
>>83516969

so does he just have a constant stream of energy between his eyes and the lenses?
>>
>>83517021
Yep. His eyes are portal to, jokingly called, Punch Dimension.
>>
>>83515070
Children's Crusade really shat on two X-characters, Cyclops and Wolverine (who spends the whole event not only trying to murder Wanda, but Billy/Wiccan as well, and is called out by fucking Wonder Man as a terrible Avenger).

On the other hand the X-books shat on Wanda for years by constantly adding new crimes to her record (House of M didn't suggest she killed anybody). Gotta shit on somebody, is the lesson.
>>
>>83518193
that's the funny thing about Marvel not having villains. They always end up having to make their heroes into irredeemable shitheads.
>>
>>83514291
Wiccan's argument is such BS. The only person with actions of even remotely comparable scale to Wanda's are Magneto's and most people still treat him like he's a piece of shit villain but he's powerful so they're willing to work with him if it suits their needs. Wanda, in a fit of pique committed quasi-genocide on the mutant race. Cyclops is right to say that she needs to answer for her crimes.

What's hilarious is that when a similar event happens (Dark Phoenix Cyclops) everyone keeps shitting on him but he owns it and does exactly what he tells Wanda to do her, live each day trying to make it right knowing it will never be enough.
>>
>>83519218
His argument is basically that every single character has turned evil at some point so they shouldn't treat Wanda like she's somehow worse than them.

It's a bit of a leaning-on-the-fourth-wall argument that comes close to acknowledging that she was written out of character.
>>
Cyclops is the Superman personalty of Marvel...well he WAS. Scott for the boy scout for YEARS AND YEARS once he matured.
>>
File: 1442648341976.gif (3 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1442648341976.gif
3 MB, 400x300
>>83512857

>comics started pandering to marginalized and minority readers JUST THIS YEAR!

>X-men #1 (1963)
consistently used to write stories about bigotry being bad and diversity being good.

>Luke Cage: Hero for Hire #1 (1972)
OH NO! he's black

>Northstar openly gay (1992)
gay means your a homosexual btw.

yeah your clearly a long time comics reader.
>>
>>83514509
Is Alphaclops part of Rightclops or is it another form completely.
>>
File: Cyclops08.jpg (2 MB, 2787x2913) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops08.jpg
2 MB, 2787x2913
>>83520358
Scott's alpha-ness stems from his rightness. Otherwise, he would not be fit to rule.
>>
File: 13585658417786.jpg (14 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
13585658417786.jpg
14 KB, 400x300
>>83520171
>it's the "liberalism is identical between decades" meme
>>
>>83511721

Everyone becomes unlikeable when written by Bendis.
>>
File: 1463953851559.png (489 KB, 570x1023) Image search: [Google]
1463953851559.png
489 KB, 570x1023
The last thing I think of when I discuss Cyclops is his powers. That's how great a character he is.
>>
File: 1459753255612.jpg (76 KB, 253x591) Image search: [Google]
1459753255612.jpg
76 KB, 253x591
>>83511977
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-31-20-55-341.jpg (752 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-31-20-55-341.jpg
752 KB, 1440x2560
>>83524049
Cyclops is #1
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 52x43) Image search: [Google]
file.png
5 KB, 52x43
>>83524203
C'mon now haha
>>
>>83511977
Well, Superman and Cyclops are my favorite heroes on DC and Marvel side.
>>
>>83511977
>tfw I like cyclops and superman.
There might be something to this.
>>
>>83515748
>best body money can buy
is she saying she's had plastic surgery and a boob job, or is this some 'I stuck my mind in a genetically engineered supermodel' thing?
>>
>>83512418
I remember when he heard his ex had came back from life, never touched her, got caught up in X-Force and by the time he made it back to them Maddie was already gone.

I also remember Scott seing baby Nathan before going off to a mission with X-Factor.

However I do remember the time (all the times, actually) where perfect Jean made out or lusted over Wolverine and no one said anything about it. Or the time Cyke was psychically raped by his therapist and everyone blamed him like he was physically cheated on Jean. THEN he was mentally forced by his dead wife into a relationship with his rapist.

Remember that one?
>>
File: 1454168775364.jpg (293 KB, 1200x708) Image search: [Google]
1454168775364.jpg
293 KB, 1200x708
>>
>>83524765
Diamond sculpting is expensive man
>>
>>83512418
Early X-Factor was a lesson in why fanboy nostalgia can be evil.

The writers wanted everything just as it was in the Silver Age no matter what had happened to the characters in the last 11 years, so Jean loses her telepathy, Beast looks normal again and Jean-Scott sexual tension is back, forget about the wife and son.

Fanboys are the worst sometimes.
>>
File: Logan is a creep.jpg (129 KB, 768x799) Image search: [Google]
Logan is a creep.jpg
129 KB, 768x799
>>83514999
>>
>>83524991
What the fuck.
>>
>>83524961
Jean's return was like a conspiracy of people who liked Silver Age X-Men and never warmed to the reboot, like Busiek (who wrote a letter about how much he hated the Dark Phoenix story), Layton, and probably even John Byrne.

It seems so weird that anyone could prefer '60s X-Men to post-1975 X-Men but nostalgia is powerful. And destroyed Cyclops as a character.
>>
>>83511977
tfw I love Supes and old Cyke but not Cyclops the Revolutionary.
>>
>>83513439
Not everything you disagree with is /pol/. Maybe you should head over there, you seem as if you like to get offended.
>>
What's the difference between old cyclops and new revolutionary cyclops? And which one is better?
>>
>>83511721
Wow. I think Cyclops just became my favorite X-Man out of spite.
>>
>>83527085
Old Cyclops was just a good guy, following the rules and trying to do right. He was a natural-born leader. Over time, he became jaded and became New Cyclops. While still a leader, he is angry all the time and keeps trying to force the world to listen to the plight of the mutants (very much like Magneto).
>>
>>83511977
Dunno, I like Cyke but Superman is one of the more bland characters ever.
>>
File: Cyclops13.png (917 KB, 572x899) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops13.png
917 KB, 572x899
>>83525130
Revolutionary Cyke was pretty cool, too.
>>
>>83513058
The fuck?
>>
>>83513058
Is it bad that the part that triggers me about this the most is that his powers aren't supposed to work on himself?
>>
>>83513263
>Well, the race-mixing part is enough of a problem, but let's set that aside.

kill yourself, and how is she acting like a cunt to thor? hes not even part of that comic. shes not cheating on him at all? has he even returned? i havent kept up with fem thor. i dont read it. i dont like it. but i dont give a fuck if it doesnt pander to me. ill just keep reading moon knight, ewings books, hyperion, karnak, nighthawk, and gwenpool.

why are you so autistic about falcap? he's a more worthy legacy than bucky. he was actually cap's partner longer than buck who was dead for the vast majority of marvel continuity.

i bet you would have been buttannihilated back when james rhodes took over the iron man name and armor.
>>
File: 37467894587.png (615 KB, 986x553) Image search: [Google]
37467894587.png
615 KB, 986x553
>>83511977
Yeah I like neither of them since I was a kid. Although I'm 28 now and kinda relate to him and can tolerate him aS I relate to him being a dad.
>>
>>83530949
>Hurr, I don't understand your point, or maybe I just don't like it, therefore I dismiss you as unworthy by default!

And we wonder why you keep meeting people IRL who think you're racist when this is your kneejerk go-to argument... ? ? ?
>>
>>83531536
Well, it's time to pass onto your children the values of hating those who are different from you, and the first step is to make sure they know how little you respect even them if they take the narrative's obvious message of tolerance and acceptance to heart.
>>
>>83512364
There is a current trend in comics to demonize white males.

This is objective fact. Hail Hydra
>>
>>83513769
> I have come to explain why Marvel has taken characters you love and shaken them like bugs in a jar

I still have no idea how this was allowed to be published, because so much of it is openly mocking.
>>
>>83524049
Based Grant.
I also love how during AvX he went "not muh Scott".
>>
>>83513749
That left panel is a good example of purple prose
>>
>>83531947
because Marvel is largely just giving the buyers what they demonstrate they want. More #1's, more team books, more gimmicks, more sensationalism

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-04.html
>>
>>83532051
>look it up
>he literally says "THAT AIN'T MY SCOTT"
>>
>>83532109
Englehart, senpai. Unless I'm wrong. He loves his purple prose.
>>
File: 640.jpg (130 KB, 640x761) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
130 KB, 640x761
>>83513749
>Meanwhile,
>>
File: 1455241126396.jpg (186 KB, 446x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455241126396.jpg
186 KB, 446x1000
>>83511721
Fuck Wolverine and his shitty fanboys.
>>
>>83532173
Internet lied to me, it's FF by Lee and Kirby, with Punisher and Microverse.
And Reed saying "Johnny boy".
>>
>>83512332
This, so much fucking THIS.
One of these days they'll do a story for each and every major X-Man about how Xavier brainraped them over and rewrote who they are as people.
He abuses his powers almost everytime he is seen using them.
Remember that Uncanny X-Men story: The Omega Mutant? Remember how that ended with both Eva Bell timetravel power abuse and Past Chuck Xavier mindraping power abuse?
Well, right in the scenes where they were planning this wrongness Xavier admits to having Brainraped someone too far, I saw that line and instantly though of Straightlace Choirboy Summers and his lifelong blind obedience.
Mark my words. Cyclops was probably some F-bomb-dropping criminal delinquent when Chuck got hold of him.
>>
>>83532937
But it's OK, he made himself forget it.
Just like Tony "I'd do it all again" Stark.
>>
File: 1428618100490.gif (939 KB, 180x155) Image search: [Google]
1428618100490.gif
939 KB, 180x155
>>83511721
The problem with Cyclops is that several really terrible arcs have made him do things that aren't even really for the best, he just says they are for the best. That would be fine in the context of parenting a team, but it's less fine when it involves suddenly joining a terrorist faction.

I don't actually hate Cyclops, I don't think he's UNCOOL or ALWAYS WRONG, but in the timeframe where a lot of casual or in-and-out capefans have only really heard stuff like 'he's a party-pooper' placed alongside shit like, well, being written into joining fucking terrorists. That isn't to say he's not allowed to do bad or potentially immoral shit. Tons of other people have pointed out, rightly so, that Xavier did heinous garbage all the time for the 'greater good' of Mutantkind. But there are fundamental differences in scale and perception of doing a mind-wipe versus at points literally becoming the antagonist. One is the act of an adult who's calculating and trying to do the right thing. The other is the act of an extremist, an unstable teenager or a very, very emotionally stunted person who hasn't become fully Human yet. The cast is already choc-full of characters who don't fit in, who have to develop in a world that hates him. Traditionally Cyclops has supposed to been the anchor, the institutional knowledge that allows the young'ns to fuck up from time to time and get out alive.

Put simply, they tried to forcibly make people like Cyclops, because people kept moaning about Cyclops, and now everyone hates Cyclops.
>>
File: 1-1461286580435-Obeyclops.jpg (76 KB, 315x347) Image search: [Google]
1-1461286580435-Obeyclops.jpg
76 KB, 315x347
>>83533090
It's actually canon (or it was before the big retcon) that he used his telepathy on himself to make himself a better person.
Can you imagine the level of self-delusion and self-deception he is capable of whenever he justified anything he did?
It's almost worse than him being an outright villian because it's not just him erasing his own guilt, it's him being a villian and then when it suits him he turns into a legitimate hero who isn't guilty of that crime.
>>
>>83525037
Hydra brainwashing I believe. Also mark Millar because he can only imply rape sometimes
>>
>>83511806
you do realize that cyke had like 2 solo episodes in that cartoon? or more?
>>
>>83533225
I don't see it that way, to me he's like the overprotective parent who's being blamed for the divorce because the kids resent having always had to brush their teeth before bedtime. Then comes the next inevitable nervous beakdown and horrible mistake and the kids grasp onto that as justification for piling on the recriminations.
(that's the in-universe rational)
As for how the writers have treated him, he's not perfect, he's only human(-ish) so now he's finally cracking under all that Scott Summers' characteristic repression of emotion.
That's not hating the character, that's fleshing out Mr.Perfect X-Man as more complicated than just being the personality plot armor.
>>
>>83533290
>It's actually canon (or it was before the big retcon) that he used his telepathy on himself to make himself a better person.
He did bad job, desu.
>>
>>83516726
Didn't know he died and looked it up to see this. A clone monster. They turned him into Bio-Broly.
>>
>>83533484
at least half-rightclops was only around for two issues then died
>>
>>83515748
Jesus this is terrible. Like bad soap opera terrible...
>>
>>83533484
Based Sinister.
There's not enough alternate realities where Cyclops leads Marauders.
>>
File: 1463706136625-Control.jpg (67 KB, 320x447) Image search: [Google]
1463706136625-Control.jpg
67 KB, 320x447
>>83533465
Well think about it, it's the classic hypocrisy: He's such a good person who has always done so much good that certainly all those good deeds will balance out this one little evil thing he wants to do this one time...
IRL people just tell themselves lies about their personal history but Chucky X there has actually figured out how to be a guilt-free good person who as far as he knows hasn't done anything unforgivable before.
So the end result is that he never learns from personal experience how wrong it is to make those bad calls, and so he can make them over and over again when anyone else would know better. The obvious exception being Tony Stark.
>>
>>83533526
So you've discovered the secret guilty pleasure of all X-fans...
>>
>>83533654
I never liked him. Dream is nice ideal and all, but fuck him. Get bunch of kids and send them to fight while he sits in comfy chair in HQ. Fag.
And one of those kids is Warren "Bazooka Joe" Worthington III.
>>
File: 1463760278766.jpg (182 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
1463760278766.jpg
182 KB, 636x477
>>83513900

>Maggott/The Power Of Love
>>
>>83533718
Just to pull this back onto Cyke-topic,
Cyclops tried to justify the same damned thing during an extinction level crisis in the Schism storyline and half the X-Men thought he was a monster for it.
He even pointed out that Xavier had done the same thing and I guess because Cyclops doesn't have telepathic influence powers Wolverine just wouldn't listen.
But of course Xavier remained above reproach dring that debate.
>>
File: Xavier10.png (1 MB, 1280x1047) Image search: [Google]
Xavier10.png
1 MB, 1280x1047
>>83533654
>Chucky X there has actually figured out how to be a guilt-free good person who as far as he knows hasn't done anything unforgivable before.
Xavier was always a mind reading, mind wiping piece of shit.
>>
File: ProfessorDick.png (244 KB, 468x339) Image search: [Google]
ProfessorDick.png
244 KB, 468x339
>>83533849
Really? I have no memory of that.

Also, Professor X was the Sovereign. Bowie was a fallguy.
>>
>>83533814
Yeah, Chuck's sacred cow who dindu nuffin bad.
>>
File: 1458770874918-WRONG.jpg (166 KB, 666x655) Image search: [Google]
1458770874918-WRONG.jpg
166 KB, 666x655
Say...
Given that this was originally a Cyke-hate thread and there's always epic Rightclops-fan love posting in these ...

WHAT would it take for all of you Rightclops fans to turn on the character?

Some of you already believe that Marvel was intentionally trying to get you to hate Cyclops and that they have failed miserably,
BUT what would have done it? What would have been that line? What would have made you personally hate Cyclops once and for all?
>>
>>83534272
I'm characterfag, senpai.
>>
>>83534272
nothing. the writers might get me to stop reading their books but they can't get me to denounce the books of others and how he was written then
>>
>>83511721
I like Cyclops as a concept, but writers tend to have no idea how to portray him, resulting in some of the dumbest bullshit cropping up in his character.

>Girlfriend dies.
>But finds a new girlfriend.
>Marries her.
>Find out old girlfriend is alive.
>Ditch your wife and unborn child to get back together with your old fling.
>Cheat on her with another hot woman later anyway.
>>
no Xavier = No Onslaught and No Cassandra Nova and No Legion.
>>
>>83534373
It was more nuanced at the time than how people remember it.

He just heard Jean was alive and wanted to go SEE her because, y'know, who wouldn't, and Maddy gave him one of those jealous-bitchfit "if you walk out that door, don't bother coming back" ultimatums FOR NO RAISIN.

It's not like he ever said "I'm dumping you, I immediately have a date lined up", he wanted to fucking pay a visit because holy shit, person-who-was-important-to-me resurrected from the fucking grave.
>>
>>83534379
No Onslaught, no Heroes Reborn.
>>
>>83534403
And it all happened because muh X-Men gotta have muh Scott and Jean. Claremont literally never recovered from that.
>>
>>83534403
That might have been the Rightclops reason, but people don't look at him and see the Right that's always inside him, they look at him and see a man. A man with a typical man's less-than-Right motivations.
Look at this pic: >>83534272 , the next images are of Rightclops turning down sex-fantasy-in-the-flesh JailbaitJean, who is his eternal one true love, and practically throwing herself at him there.
He turned that down.
Can you imagine any normal man who is not possessed by the awesome power of Right ever doing that?
That's where 90% of these "Scott being Scott" misunderstandings come from. No wonder Wolverine can never relate to him: Logan would've hit that.
>>
Everyone one of my friends think Cyclops is a tool but he is by far my favorite. His character went from "team leader yes man" to "magneto tier savior of mutants". Before he was willing to die for the cause now he is willing to kill for it. He has done alot of wrong in the past, like abandoning his family and killing his mentor father figure but he is somehow always in the right. Cyclops was right.
>>
>>83534379
>>83534414
Look, I was about to post that Cassandra Nova's evil awesomeness totally made Chuck's bullshit worth it but then the Heroes Reborn universe was linked to this bastard...
Some thing's shouldn't be forgiven.
>>
File: 76720917.png (40 KB, 1315x149) Image search: [Google]
76720917.png
40 KB, 1315x149
>>83534547
>but he is somehow always in the right
Never doubt Lords of Order.
>>83534562
>get bunch of our characters
>give them to Image
What could possibly go wrong?
>>
File: 1459818833940.jpg (63 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
1459818833940.jpg
63 KB, 500x355
>>83534547
Okay, you say that but what if his "Mutant Revolution" wasn't a million-mutant march on Washington?
What if he had embraced the Magneto method and singlehandedly killed everyone on a nuclear submarine?
Or worse: the Xorn-Magneto method and singlehandedly conquered an entire city?
He was making a big threat when he said that, that's what gave him the mutant terrorist brand, so what if he had actually become a mutant terrorist in more than name?
>>
>>83511721

>Wolverine wouldn’t be Wolverine if he didn’t have Cyclops to rebel against

Because people think the hairy midget canuck being a manbaby is much cooler.
>>
>>83534750
Good we have our Inhuman protectors, right?
>>
File: Cyclops112.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops112.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83534373
The fault there was in editorial more than Claremont. Chris wanted to leave that bitch dead.
>>
>It's a stealth Chris Sims thread

ABORT! ABORT!
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (95 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
95 KB, 659x1000
Why is this bitch never brought up when talking about "chracter that sucks balls"?

Did she ever do fucking ANYTHINNNGG besides wanting to fuck both Cykes and Wolvie, dying, and generally being a huge bitch - which somehow she still continues to be in 2016?

Literally the only thing i enjoy with her is JEEEEEAAAAAAAN
>>
File: cyclops14.jpg (26 KB, 260x310) Image search: [Google]
cyclops14.jpg
26 KB, 260x310
>>83520878
>Bendis

I hate his writing, but he did make Cyke the team leader when Cap was deemed "too old" in House of M..... So points for that, I guess. Making him "second best leader." Cue the #2 band in the world.
>>
>>83534772
Yes, thank God for the Inhu-huu-(I just threw up in my mouth a little.)
But that's an actual potential "how shit went down" for the Cykedeath, if he did finally snap and go on a killing-spree optic blast rampage, what then?
It's not as if we can all gripe and whine like some "Whor" troller that there wasn't any foreshadowing, or that it was an inconceivable turn for the character.
He's been having a mental breakdown for years now.
Would we still think of him as Rightclops if he did that? If that was the new kind of character that Scott would be written as from now on?
(once he recovered from comicdeath)
>>
File: Jean Grey08.jpg (142 KB, 530x401) Image search: [Google]
Jean Grey08.jpg
142 KB, 530x401
>>83534810
>>
I don't really understand the hate for Cyke. He was always the cool authority character. If anything, Warren has consistently been the most boring one of the O5.

Seriously, who has ever thought of Angel as a cool character? His entire thing for nearly thirty years was just to fly. They had to give him knife wings and blue skin to make him even remotely interesting.
>>
File: 1453303922367.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1453303922367.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83534919
>Would we still think of him as Rightclops if he did that? If that was the new kind of character that Scott would be written as from now on?
yes

Black Bolt initiated a race war with his bioweapon, and the inhumans refuse to just burn the mist roaming the world because 'it's sacred'.

that warrants a retaliation to deter others from assuming they can just kill mutants willy nilly and get away with it.

and I say this as someone who actually likes the inhumans and also considers black bolt justified in detonating the terrigen bomb.
>>
>>83534810

Teen Jean is a cunt but OG Jean had a very memorable storyline and plenty of people liked her as the token girl next door waifu.
>>
>>83535126
They're the same person.
And not just the same as in alternate realities, they are the same indivdual in continuity.
That's the one and only Jean you're talking about there.
>>
>>83535235
>They're the same person.

Sure, technically speaking. But only because Marvel keeps insisting to draw out and maintaining their retarded time shenanigans plot for no good reason.
>>
>>83534919
During Ave, Scott sent out a message telling the world what would happen if they ever attacked utopia. At the end of it he said they made a liar out of him because he wasn't willing to wage a war. He only fights the battles that are necessary
>>
>>83535335
Damn autocorrect I meant AvX
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.