[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey folks! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 600x924) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 600x924
Hey folks! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what comics are worth reading that are about the Spectre?

I was reading up on him and I think he is really really cool. I like the horror touches he has and I want to read more.

Kind of a newfag, so sorry if there are resources here I missed.

Thanks guys!
>>
Wrath of Spectre: a four part reprint series that collects the ultra-violent 70s era Adventure Comics run, plus three stories that were never published in the 70s due to the backlash

The Ostrander 90s series, which ran #60 issues.

Wrath of Spectre was collected in TPB format but is OOP but the mini-series sells cheap

Only two Ostrander Spectre TPBs were released (#1-22) and no more are forthcoming due to low sales. Also, expect to pay out the ass for the last 5-6 issues because modern Mr Terrific from the Geoff Johns JSA run debuted at the tale end of the series
>>
don't remember when it was
but when Hal Jordan become the spectre was pretty good if I remember right
>>
>>83487665
Is that still canon?
>>
The Jerry Siegel stuff from the Golden Age is criminally underexamined
>>
>>83487559
Huh holy shit. Thanks man.

>>83487737
Is it silly or serious in tone?
>>
>>83487665

Yeah, that was the run written by J.M. DeMatteis..
>>
>>83487861
It has some minor silliness in regards to Corrigan being a typical sad sack but the Spectre's punishments and actions are of the same horror that would paint his character
>>
>>83488036
Brilliant thank you.
>>
Green Lantern Rebirth has a bit of the spectre being cool
>>
Haven't seen a Spectre thread on here in a while. Nice taste, OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 250x392) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 250x392
>>83489001
Thank you very much!

I was surprised when I found out he wasn't more popular. To me he has one of the coolest premises ever. I am a lover of horror though, so maybe that had something to do with it.
>>
File: Spectre reclist 2.png (906 KB, 1412x1080) Image search: [Google]
Spectre reclist 2.png
906 KB, 1412x1080
>>83487124
try these OP. Ostrander's run in particular is really good and I personally enjoyed DeMatteis's runs and the Fleisher/Aparo stuff a lot (especially Wrath of the Spectre)

Gotham by Midnight is the most recent and also really enjoyable

also Golden Age Spectre holds up surprisingly well

>>83487723
vaguely
>>
>>83487124
It's not long, but I recommend looking up DC Showcase: The Spectre. It's an animated short story about the Spectre and it's pretty good.
>>
>>83489262
Heh watched it a few minutes ago.

It was AWESOME. He's so cool.
>>
>>83487559
>and no more are forthcoming due to low sales.
Feels so fucking bad, man. They're starting to go out of print too.
>>
>>83489951
I really hope comics don't become a digital-only thing with hard copies being a luxury format. I know the only way to keep that from happening is to support monthlies but there aren't that many ongoings I support, not enough to support the industry at least.
>>
>>83490172
Comics should move to trades only.
>>
>>83490266
Like... print on order?

Like Lulu and places?

If that's what you mean.
>>
>>83490304
Nah, phase out floppies is what I mean. Instead of $4 every week for 22 pages of story, $20 or so every month/every other month/however long for a full trade sized comic book.
>>
>>83490370
I'd be down for that.
>>
>>83490304
Independent creation and distribution is the future. Having to go through Diamond in the internet age is ridiculous.
>>
>>83490370
>>83490440
Think about it though, why are floppies and Diamond still a thing in this day and age?
>>
>>83490529
Mostly so the big two can retain copyrights and promote new product. And it's hella easy to strum up sales during a movie release by making your book tie into the movie releases.

Creativity and efficiency is probably the last reason I can think of.
>>
>>83490529
Because comics are a conservative medium and the giants of the industry are too afraid to shuttle a failing business practice in hopes of something potentially better
>>
>>83489113
>Gotham by Midnight is the most recent and also really enjoyable

Seconding this.
>>
Man, I love Crispus' design as the spectre. The goatee is great.
>>
>>83487124
I don't actually think you can go wrong with the Spectre. It might be easier to say that you should try almost any his solo stuff, including things that aren't volumes, like the Golden Age series, the Fleisher/Aparo series, and Gotham by Midnight. Even things you'll never see mentioned here, like the Silver Age series and Moench's run, are at least decent. The only thing I haven't liked is the Crispus Allen stuff.

Most people tend to agree that Ostrander's run is the best, though, and it's also one of the easiest to pick up since it's partially in trade form and all on Comixology.
>>
Kingdom Come doesn't have Spectre doing much except dragging Alex Ross's dad through the future DCU like Virgil in the Comedy but it's a decent story.
>>
>>83487559
Wrath of Spectre is one the most based comic books i've ever read.
>>
>>83499718
That was one of the comics that got me interested in him. It wasn't the first time I ever noticed him, but it was his look and his powers, along with the fact that he couldn't take down Savage that got me interested in him.
>>
>>83487124
The Ostrander series from the 90s is one of the most highly regarded cape comics of that decade.
>>
>>83487559
>four part reprint series that collects the ultra-violent 70s era Adventure Comics run, plus three stories that were never published in the 70s due to the backlash

This sounds insane.
>>
>>83489113
Can't really endorse v4, but otherwise this list is mostly solid.
>>
>>83487559
>>83503424
Just how violent was it?

Must have been rough.
>>
Am I the only one who actually liked the Crispus Allen Spectre?
It wasn't as philosophical as Ostrander's book, but it was a good horror comic and a good capstone to Crispus' arc in Gotham Central.
>>
File: The Spectre.png (53 KB, 1225x385) Image search: [Google]
The Spectre.png
53 KB, 1225x385
>>
>>83490529
Think about it though, why are comic book stores still a thing in this day and age?
>>
File: wraithofspectre01_09.jpg (307 KB, 929x1370) Image search: [Google]
wraithofspectre01_09.jpg
307 KB, 929x1370
>>83503437
Spectre don't fuck around.
>>
File: 1434299638541.jpg (483 KB, 1024x1598) Image search: [Google]
1434299638541.jpg
483 KB, 1024x1598
That time the Joker was the Spectre.
>>
>>83503434
Why not?
>>
>>83506031
Not him, and I haven't read it, but Hal-Spectre doesn't interest me.
Same with Crispy Allen.
>>
>>83505492
How does that even happen???

Wouldn't the Presence just go "no."

Why would the Spectre bond with the Joker???
>>
>>83505350
J-jeepers...
>>
>>83508659
You could fuck around with the Spectre if you had the will or skills to do so

Madame Xanadu did something similar in that run
>>
Some very solid wank material in Ostrander's run as well.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.