[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they back on their original timeline yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: rN5dabb-1.jpg (565 KB, 1225x1625) Image search: [Google]
rN5dabb-1.jpg
565 KB, 1225x1625
Are they back on their original timeline yet?
>>
No.
>>
File: 1458762241958.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1458762241958.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83471884
there is no original timeline for them to go back to.
>>
>>83471946
Explain further
>>
>>83471946

Well, this would make "time is a concept you humans can't possibly understand!" trope make slightly more sense because I feel like just going WHAAAAAA to that.
>>
>>83471964
Explain the page dude posted, or explain why he thinks they can't go back?
>>
>>83471946
>Worst X-Men ever says it's because some black chick decides what happens
>Lol Bucky's back cause he's hot
Man, if Ewing manages to save Marvel I'll be damned.
>>
>>83471946

Why is Galactus made of gold? Goldactus?
>>
>>83474071
Time is broken.
>>83474219
Galactus is on diet.
>>
>>83471946
So, basically, Beast literally raped the timeline.
>>
>>83474261
Time isn't broken; time is fluid. Time in the Marvel Universe works exactly the way time should work. Retcons and the sliding timeline form the structure of Marvel spacetime. It's the way the universe works.
>>
>>83474327
You're not implying you actually know anything about how time works irl are you? Cause that'd be silly.

I think the fluid timeline is a logical answer to the way comics work, it allows retcons or changes easily when needed, it allows authors the freedom to tell the story they want, no matter how stupid and allows multiple authors to make mistakes as they are going to do.

Like it or not, it fits the medium now
>>
File: 1458762207475.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1458762207475.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83471964
time is constantly shifting. some past events are 'significant' enough that they follow the present, while other events end up getting left behind. even if they sent the teen X-Men to the past, it would be a different past to the one they came from, and would have its own teen X-Men. they would still be interlopers.

time is so fluid that you can't actually cause a time crash like the Ultimates feared. you might completely fuck up and erase yourself from existence, or even the whole galaxies, but time itself would be fine and instantly adapt
>>
>>83474455
Alright, now explain the retarded clusterfuck of Age of Ultron and it's consequences.

>inb4 but Bendis
I know, I know, but lets try and come up with something.

Also, doesn't this just eliminate normal, time point A to time point B time travel? Why, when a character goes to the past, are they not put into a different version of the past?
>>
>>83474219
Galactus is destined to one day give back tenfold all the energy he has consumed.
with Secret Wars kicking 616 into its 8th incarnation, the physical laws shifted such that Iso-8 can no exist. Using Iso-8, the Ultimates used the machine that transformed Galan into Galactus in the first place to transform him into this 'lifegiver' role early. While a bunch of abstract forces are pissed about it, the fact that it worked in the first place self-demonstrates that their 'grand design' ain't all that and Galactus is quite happy in his new role so told them to stuff it
>>
>>83474517
>Why, when a character goes to the past, are they not put into a different version of the past?
most of the time they are. the past rarely looks the same from one story to another.

I haven't read age of ultron so can't comment on that
>>
>>83474545
>>83474455
And this is why the ultimates is one of my favorite books coming out
>>
>>83474606
>most of the time they are. the past rarely looks the same from one story to another.

That's like the dragon Ball z style time travel then?
Character A, travels back in time, from timeline 1. But arrives in the past of timeline 2.
Timeline 2 is the same as timeline 1, except now with the addition of future character A from timeline 1.
Then timeline 1 goes on as it would, minus Character A, irrelevant from any of his changes to timeline 2.

This method though means that anytime Doom has traveled back on his time platform, he vanishes from that timeline? because he shows up in a past that is just similar to his but not actually his?

>I haven't read age of ultron so can't comment on that
I wouldn't recommend it, but here's some of the gist relating to time travel
>Ultron suddenly takes over the world in an instant.
>Turns out Ultron took over in the future and sent his forces into the past/present to take over that too
I don't think it's ever explained if Ultron rose to power then wanted more control so fucked with the past/present, or if his time invasion is what put him in power, making a loop.
>Heroes travel to the Ultron future to fight him (this helps how?)
>Wolverine travels to past to kill Pym before Ultron is created.
>Bad Flashpoint style stuff happens, bad timeline
>Travels back again to stop himself
>Adds a failsafe to ultron
>travels back to present, but now at some random point, they deactivate Ultron and the invasion never occurs.

Then this is what makes the least sense with this fluid time idea (but hey Bendis)
>Wolverine's time muckery was the last straw, and shatters the timeline (I guess like flashpoint sorta?), not only mucking up the timeline, but also allowing breaches to other universes (you know, parallel universes and timelines can get fucky when together) such as effecting the Ultimate Universe and allowing in Angelica from Spawn (well kind of sort of)
>>
>>83474455

so Hypertime?
>>
>>83474455
>>83474517
>>83474837
Yeah the shattered timeline stuff doesn't really gel with this.
But I'd happily ignore Bendis's continuity since he's so fond of doing so
>>
>>83471884
Nope. Cyclops, Angel (whp has fire wings now) and Beast are in the All-new X-men, Jean and (I think) Bobby are in the Extraordinary X-men
>>
File: dude.jpg (98 KB, 603x547) Image search: [Google]
dude.jpg
98 KB, 603x547
>>83474545
>one day give back tenfold all the energy he has consumed
Cosmic bulimia is a terrible affliction.
Or is this a 'manure makes for fertile soil" thing? Galactus went from "I HUNGER" to "I POOP" ?
>>
File: coherence-poster.jpg (347 KB, 1669x2400) Image search: [Google]
coherence-poster.jpg
347 KB, 1669x2400
>>83474455
>even if they sent the teen X-Men to the past, it would be a different past to the one they came from, and would have its own teen X-Men. they would still be interlopers.
>>
>>83474402
No, dummy. We're talking comics, not real life. See this >>83474455.
>>
>>83475008

I would watch the X-Men throw their own version of a hipster wine party.
>>
>>83474837
not quite. 'the present' isn't just the point in time you are present at. 'the present' is a big lump of events in motion. if you travel to the present, you end up in he present, whether you went there from the past or the future. if you travel from the present to the future, you merely end up in a highly probable future. if your travel from the present to the past, you end up in what the past currently looks like from the perspective of the present. that's why its easier to avert a bad future than to alter the present from the past, because anything in the past can be easily overwritten or just washed away by the shifting of time.
>>
>>83474455
in a way, that explains kang the conqueror
>>
>>83475102
dang

it's a pretty nice addition to marvel cosmology
>>
File: mind_BLOWN.png (54 KB, 284x264) Image search: [Google]
mind_BLOWN.png
54 KB, 284x264
>>83475102
>>
they are still here

Marvel is happy with little Jean as the new Jean, as we just saw in Civil War 2

I think it is very likely old cyclops and old beat will get killed and be replaced permanently with the young ones

And Angel/Archangel may already be different people, since Old Warren died and resurrected once. and they can be 2 different characters, old one metal wings archangel, and the young one with the space wings.

so they are here to stay. sadly, fuck Bendis.
>>
So do we know what act of ultimate evilness Cyclops committed?
>>
>>83475102
This shit makes no sense even for fiction. What differentiates the present from the future? If characters come from the future to the present, the future IS their present, and the present is their past.
>>
>>83479828
Cyclops looks bald in his suit. You know who else is bald? Charles Xavier.

Coincidence, or the greatest conspiracy of all time?
>>
>>83479914
>What differentiates the present from the future?
the present is more 'dense', making it more 'real'.

if a possible future becomes probable enough, then people can journey from it to the past, but until the present gets there the slow way their home time will be inherently less real than the present.
look at this
>>83474455

the present is the biggest ball of stuff, and whichever ball of stuff is the biggest is by definition the present
>>
This thread is scary
>>
File: 1440000719841.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1440000719841.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>83480107
relax, none of this shit applies IRL
>>
>>83480107
This thread represents /co/'s willful ignorance in compliance with the advice of a Bendis-hate meme.

We should be scared.
>>
>>83471884
I love that pic so far, you have the rest of it?
>>
There's a long history of a weird life-imitates-art connection between Sci-Fi concepts and IRL proven scientific theories.
Time travel, alternate realities and parallel universes, higher planes of existence/reality, teleportation, and on a lighter note: cybernetics, genetic engeneering, A.I. , etc... etc...
Marvel's theory of time is pretty far from what they teach in the more crazy college courses, but unsurprisingly not far enough.
>>
>>83471884
They never left their original timeline. That's the causality-destroying paradox.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.