[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ReBoot: The Guardian Code
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11
File: ReBoot_GuardianCode.png (280 KB, 680x384) Image search: [Google]
ReBoot_GuardianCode.png
280 KB, 680x384
http://www.rebootrevival.com/?p=1442

>V.E.R.A. (Virtual Evolutionary Recombinant Avatar) was designed as an adaptive construct with one purpose; to train and mentor the Next Generation Guardians. Her programmer didn’t want her getting distracted, so he programmed her to be focused and determined. But once she’s 3-D bioprinted as a 15-year-old girl, some of her programming is altered, and she becomes more easily distracted. But Vera is a multitasking marvel, exploring all the fascinating aspects of this world and figuring out who she wants to be, while making sure the Guardians fulfill their mandate to protect and defend cyberspace. As an odd duck new human, Vera will provide a lot of comedic relief.

So basically a Code Lyoko ripoff. Rainmaker is really ruining the charm ReBoot had.
>>
>>83465828
I wish I could reboot my heart. It has neither the skills nor knowledge to deal with this bullshit.
>>
>>83465828
>they emphasis the leader of the team has to be caucasian
>the rest of the guys can be whatever
Ahahahahahahaha
>>
>>83465828

Excuse me why is there even a mention of the real world outside of beliefs the programs have what are you doing?
>>
>>83465828

Why is it every time we hear about a Reboot revival it's some assholes trying to reinvent the wheel?
>>
File: Zixx.jpg (291 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Zixx.jpg
291 KB, 700x525
Didn't they already do this show?
>>
>>83465999
>the rest of the guys can be whatever

Ah but VERA must be Asian (because Asians=smart?).
>>
>>83466092
>assholes trying to reinvent the wheel?

Because Rainmaker won't do the logical thing and conclude Season 4 (and progress onward with a 5th and 6th season) with Gavin Blair and Ian Pearson back on-board.
>>
File: 1315637713535.png (358 KB, 405x472) Image search: [Google]
1315637713535.png
358 KB, 405x472
>>83465828
>They ruined the Ratchet & Clank movie
>They are ruining Reboot

I wish Rainmaker could just die already.
>>
>>83466146
>because asians=smart
And because they're fetish fuel for nerds.
>>
>>83466183
>I wish Rainmaker could just die already.

Same. I'd do a kickstarter to raise enough money to buy the rights to ReBoot, and grab the models from the "archives" (supposedly everything still exists... but that was from Micheal Hefferon, so who knows if it's legit), and give it all to Gavin so he could resume the series on Netflix or something.
>>
File: 1445918428434.gif (2 MB, 299x173) Image search: [Google]
1445918428434.gif
2 MB, 299x173
>>83465828
>But once she’s 3-D bioprinted as a 15-year-old girl

Why are inhuman forces always trapped in a teenage girl. This some anime bull
>>
>>83465828
I wish Reboot would get a proper ending, then die.
The mysticism of 90s computing, when the average person had no idea wtf magic beige boxes were doing, has long passed. It's a stupid show now, let it rest in nostalgia.
>>
File: reboot Binky and Algernon.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
reboot Binky and Algernon.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
>we will never get a new reboot series that is basically just the old series after alot of time has passed, but makes fun of modern PC and vidya game stuff while still being a great adventure comedy
>>
Rainmaker may be on the verge of shutting down. The failure of Ratchet and Clank has knocked their stock price to around 11 cents each. By comparison, Rainmaker stock was over $3 when they bought Mainframe at around $0.40 a share, and slowly fell and stabilized at about $0.37 a share. However, Ratchet and Clank caused it to plummet to below $0.10 a share.

The other day, the quarterly report came out, and the loss this quarter was $0.57 a share.

>Following the domestic opening, Rainmaker announced an impairment charge on their $10 million investment in the film. Commenting on the movie's performance, Rainmaker said, "We are obviously disappointed with the North American opening release results. The huge success of The Jungle Book, and continued strength of Zootopia, represented a loss of a large portion of the family market. Although support from the Ratchet & Clank fan base has been positive, the turnout for the film was not sufficient to overcome the highly competitive market place for the opening weekend of the film." In its second weekend, the film grossed just $1.5 million (a drop of 70%), finishing 9th at the box office. The film's financial failure will cause Rainmaker Entertainment to lose around 7.8 million dollars.

Budget: $20 million
Box office: $12.3 million
>>
>>83466176
in fairness, there was nothing really good about reboot's premise. it's more like reinventing the zeppelin. no matter what you do, it's still a terrible way to fly. it's just.. yknow, cool. people still remember them fondly and want to see a few more of them

and really mainframe deserves zero slack after they had MULTIPLE opportunities to bring reboot back, and each time purposely ended it on a cliffhanger before getting canceled and then uncanceled again. That's just.. a real dick move. that's hitting on 20, y'dig?
>>
>>83466413
>mainframe is cut off
>the user is one of those guys like me that's still using ancient computing technology, but even moreso, so he literally can't connect to the net anymore.
>they try to break through but find it's all caustic to them now, like the web.
>have to deal with it
>in the end some of them stay behind in case the user wants to play some old games, but most decide to 'ascend' in a heavenesque kind of 'becoming one with newer technology where you can know everything all at once' thing.
>>
>>83466315
Sauce?
>>
>>83466483
Do they seriously think other-good-movies prevents people from going to the movies? not that those other movies were any good either.
>>
>>83466861
>in fairness, there was nothing really good about reboot's premise. it's more like reinventing the zeppelin. no matter what you do, it's still a terrible way to fly. it's just.. yknow, cool. people still remember them fondly and want to see a few more of them

It was a fun show back in the 90's. Computers and networking were generally unknowns. But if you go beyond the "takes place inside a computer" concept, it had good plots, character development, and the world didn't revert to the status quo after every episode.

>and really mainframe deserves zero slack after they had MULTIPLE opportunities to bring reboot back, and each time purposely ended it on a cliffhanger before getting canceled and then uncanceled again. That's just.. a real dick move. that's hitting on 20, y'dig?

Well it was only cancelled twice. First time was the end of Season 2, when Disney bought ABC. There was nothing they could do about that. Second time was the "end" of Season 4, which they had the choice of cramming everything into an unsatisfactory ending of the eighth episode (which was supposed to be 13, 3 less than the initial 16), or leave it on an edge-of-your-seat cliffhanger and hope it was compelling enough to get the higher-ups of the network(s) to fund them.

After Season 4 ended as such, they've never had a network fund them (talking about Mainframe, not Rainmaker) in the production of the rest of Season 4.... So they've not really had "multiple opportunities" to bring it back.
>>
>>83466176
What's the point in continuing with Tony Jay too dead to be Megabyte?
>>
>>83467185
that's not how i remember it going. there were multiple major cliffhangers with huge gaps in between, each time we were told they were canceled
>>83467204
and that's what makes this guardian code shit so extrabullshitty. the only character theyre bringing back is the one they cant
>>83467185
anyway i said premise, didnt i? the rest of that stuff you listed was great, yeah. but the premise always sucked.
>>
>>83466413
I wonder how they would age given how different our time (game time) is from theirs. I suppose Dot is the CMD.EXE now.
>>
>>83467204
>Tony Jay

Because he would often call Mainframe and express his fondness and interest in the series continuing. Just because he sadly cannot be a part of it doesn't mean they shouldn't continue.
>>
File: 1410065792251.png (511 KB, 852x526) Image search: [Google]
1410065792251.png
511 KB, 852x526
>>83465828
The suffering continues lads
>>
>>83467324
yeah i mean, the entire series took place over like, what, two clock cycles or whatever? so obviously EONS would pass in their world if we actually upgraded to modern computing. like, their forms of life would be as unrecognizable as pond scum.
>>
>>83467403
But Enzo aged faster in our time, indicating our time is faster. Right?
>>
>>83467301
>that's not how i remember it going. there were multiple major cliffhangers with huge gaps in between, each time we were told they were canceled

Are you in the UK by any chance? I know there were delays in the third season with a year between episode 6 and 7. If you take a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ReBoot_episodes the new episodes didn't take ages to air.

>and that's what makes this guardian code shit so extrabullshitty. the only character theyre bringing back is the one they cant

Yeah, it's crappy but that's pretty much Rainmakers forte. Supposedly Bob, Dot and Enzo will make cameo appearances (whether they'll get their respective voice actors is anyone guess... I've been checking in and they have yet to be contacted).
>>
File: Sacrifice2056wa.jpg (122 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Sacrifice2056wa.jpg
122 KB, 1024x576
>>83466315
The worst part? Reboot's already done a creepy teenage girl big bad.
>>
>>83467403
that doesnt exactly jive with how often the user played games though, even discounting the time spent in games being sped up (which.. makes even less sense, shouldnt it be slowed down? but the show was consistent about it, game goes by in the blink of an eye to everyone outside, as if the user is FASTER than computers, not flower)
>>83467473
Yeahhh really that's... that's one of the things that makes no goddamn sense. I don't think it's clock cycles per se, I'm not sure they said exactly what enzo's birthday signified, just that he was turning 2.. so it was 2 of something. and we saw him at 0 in a flashback and he was just a little squirt.
in any case though basically the titular reboot is supposed to be an actual computer reboot, right? like the computer was running like shit so the user reset it. so that entire couple seasons was probably like a day.
>>
>>83467501
definitely not how i remember it, man. and i was watching from the old days straight up til toonami.
there was the original huge hiatus after bob got lost in the net
then there was the one after the actual reboot
then there was one after they had just namedropped that new ultravirus lady.. they said it got canceled again
then it finally came back, but only for a few episodes, as almost a special thing, then ended on the wedding cliffhanger with megabob.
>>
>>83467512
>teenage girl
like, in the 'aging movie star wishing she was still a teen girl' sense maybe
>>
>>83467526
He aged faster because our time is in seconds rather than nanoseconds. So minutes and minutes passed for Enzo while everyone else was operating at nanoseconds still.
>>
>>83467600
no see that doesnt make sense. computers operate at ludicrous speeds, everything about the show confirms that. 'oh god i might have to wait an entire second' etc.
so to play a game with the user they have to be slowed down considerably. aging should slow down too. game cubes should be sticking around for AGES (minutes) while the people outside lose all contact with those who got caught in them, then when the cube goes away, if the user lost, all those people should be like fucking.. having been in stasis.
buuut that wouldnt make the show work very well. so the show does indeed show the game time being sped up.
aaand for some reason when the user wins a game it corrupts a fucking sector and nullifies all of its inhabitants. though why your game would touch down on your harddrive (right?) in the first place i have no idea. if anyone's being nullified it should be the people living in your temporary memory and/or the disk drive whatever.
>>
>>83465999
This is one of the times I hope the inevitable SJW shit storm happens (WHY DOES THE LEADER HAVE TO BE WHITE?!) just so this piece of shit will never see the light of day.
>>
>>83467569
>i was watching from the old days straight up til toonami.

Same. I mean they weren't super regular, but at least new episodes did come. The time between the second and third seasons worked to the show's advantage as they were able to utilize improved tech.
>>
>>83465828
I knew a guy who's part of the animation teem on this. Him and a few others found a whole bunch of classic Reboot swag in storage and displayed it around the office until the higher ups told them to quit it. It seems like whoevers in charge over there doesn't wan anything to do with the original show. If I remember correctly he managed to steal a few things that they were telling people to throw out.
>>
>>83467666
what is that person even referring to, was there a casting call or something?
>>
>>83467185
All I fucking want at this point is a proper conclusion to The Hunt. That's it. Give me that and then let Reboot finally die or reboot the series or whatever the fuck. Give me a conclusion to that story and send the characters off.
>>
>>83467650
Gonna take a crack at this
>when the user wins a game it corrupts a fucking sector and nullifies all of its inhabitants.

Tough one but maybe its a metaphor for the user deleting the game once he's done. Reboot came out during a time when games were big but harddrive space was limited. Having 1TB to hold your entire steam library would have made a compsci guy vomit.

The cube is the combination of user installing/booting/playing/deleting the game. Or. to take more steps backwards in time, maybe the game is on a CD-ROM and once the user is done its removed from the system. The cube represents this oddball of information that only exists when the disc is in the drive. Removing the disc means all this information goes with it.
>>
>>83467725
It kinda reminds me of Superbook in that regard. just trying to totally steamroll over a good old product with your shitty new one.

that said, i don't believe you. i don't even believe this is getting made. because the last several times we heard this exact thing, it was followed by 'actually it's not being made at all, this was just one idea, and it's been shot down'
>>
>>83467755
but back then you played games entirely off disc. for exactly that reason, harddrives couldnt hold them. that was the case for almost the entire history of computer gaming, the idea of installing it was pretty uncommon wasn't it? til the modern age. aside from a few files, configuration stuff, saves, etc.
but yeah there are temporary files, or not even files but just data, that would be copied over later.. in that regard the reboot shouldve been more like a defrag. they do refer to sectors after all
>>
>>83467734
Yes, on the link there's a casting call. The leader's ethnicity is specifically stated to be caucasian, the other characters can be any, and V.E.R.A. is specifically stated as Asian.
>>
>>83467734
Yes, it's the link in the opening post of the thread you're posting in.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-04-02h42m12s675.png (226 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-04-02h42m12s675.png
226 KB, 720x480
Trying to figure out the time difference between User/Mainframe/Game will be a never ending headache if you try to make sense of it all. The co-creators never really worked it out themselves so there's no definitive answer.
>>
>>83467795
You still installed them to a degree. There was some sort of run program that the harddrive needed to work. Remember games like Diablo 2 where they had antiquated installs where you can install the game or copy a whopping 2.5 gigs to your harddrive and not need the CD-ROM? That's what I'm talking about. The install process is the cube coming down, the user plays, wins/lose, then the game program ends and if the game is uninstalled (user wins), the sector is deleted.
>>
>>83467725
>I knew a guy who's part of the animation teem on this.
Would love more info on this if you have any.

>Him and a few others found a whole bunch of classic Reboot swag in storage and displayed it around the office until the higher ups told them to quit it.
Wish I could say I'm surprised.

>It seems like whoevers in charge over there doesn't wan anything to do with the original show.
Considering http://bringbackreboot.com/ hasn't been updated since February 20-fucking-14 yeah....

>If I remember correctly he managed to steal a few things that they were telling people to throw out.
Again, would love info or even a way to contact that guy for some pics of said swag (feel free to email me http://www.rebootrevival.com/?page_id=10).
>>
>>83467759
>that said, i don't believe you. i don't even believe this is getting made. because the last several times we heard this exact thing, it was followed by 'actually it's not being made at all, this was just one idea, and it's been shot down'

It may not come to fruition this time, that's a definite possibility. First time it has appeared to go beyond them shuffling ideas around before the CEO quits.
>>
>>83467797
>>83467802
that makes so little sense. why would it still be up? this thing's been around for ages. how can anyone be working on it if they havent even cast, let alone recorded it yet?
>>
>>83467868
>Considering http://bringbackreboot.com/ hasn't been updated since February 20-fucking-14 yeah....
But the tshirt store still works!
I kinda wonder who even gets the money at this point. Is there some 40 something guy who gets an email every few months and he gets all excited that someone bought a shirt? Does he say "OK, today I update!" then he gets distracted and doesn't?
>>
>>83467843
a user who uninstalls any game he wins. that would kind of explain why bob is familiar with some games. he only replays ones he loses..
>>
>>83467924
Back when the average harddrive was maybe 2 gigabytes if you had some decent money, a 700+ meg install was a resource hog.
Factor in the slow movement of the game-cubes falling, that's the install scrollbar in usertime. When it hits, the gong/clash/whatever corny 90s sound happens on the user end and he clicks play. Game is played, fun is had, 9/10 he loses cause games back then were fucking cheating difficult.
If he loses, he leaves the game but closes program (sector is ok)
He wins, uninstalls game (sector is destroyed but leaves behind null files like IRL before a defrag on oldschool FAT32 drives)

There was a point in time where the characters were talking about trying to salvage a 'saved game' where they might fix nulls, but it was never really touched on outside of an offhand comment.
>>
>>83467919
>But the tshirt store still works!
I think everyone is surprised about that one. I bought 4, still holding up alright after all this time.

>Does he say "OK, today I update!" then he gets distracted and doesn't?
While I never interacted with him, another fan who made the "Bring Back ReBoot" facebook/twitter page (something I felt was rather redundant) said the person in-charge of updates was rude and didn't seem to really give a shit about things.
>>
>>83467985
that makes a lot of sense actually. they were trying to do that thing where you can get a bit of data from a copied-over sector. it wasnt so much a saved game as a bit of incompletely deleted game data. because games back then largely didnt save, and yeah they were fucking cheat-tastic. which would also explain uninstalling the fucker if he wins. no point in playing much anymore
>>
It's funny how it's called Mainframe. Kids nowadays wouldn't even know what that meant. They barely knew back in the 90s, just that it was some big mythological computer that was as big as a small office that buildings needed to run.
Reboot was a story about a IT professional dicking off at work and playing games while his company's entire infrastructure was corrupted by a virus trying to steal corporate secrets. That's why Megabyte's entire MO was learn as much as he could about mainframe/get into the command prompt, then get back to the net with this information.
>>
>>83468133
nyoh my god
i was seriously sitting here wracking my brain about what a mainframe was. i thought it was an online cloud server or something, but i knew that couldnt be right
>>
>>83468207
I doubt I even have the right idea myself. But the thought that 3 seasons were a few days of some guy doing jack shit at work till the games themselves get corrupted and he does something about it makes me laugh.
>>
>>83467868
I didn't really know the guy all the well. We hung out in the same circles but it's not like we we're friends. All I know is that he's a professional an animator and as a fan of the original Reboot this was a dream come true for him. He was actually super nervous the night he submitted his resume since he was so keen on landing this gig. I know he wasn't bluffing since he had actual proof of shows he worked on in the past and on the day in question he took a few pictures of the stuff they found in storage.
It's been a few months since I was around there though, so I've got no clue what he's up to now. Sorry I don't have anything more to tell.
>>
File: Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg (2 MB, 3500x1700) Image search: [Google]
Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg
2 MB, 3500x1700
>>83467843
Older games were entirely on floppy disks. I believe the User was using DOS, not Windows.

Heh. I miss these things. Kids today don't even know what the A: drive was, let alone B:.
>>
>>83468541
Was Windows 3.1 around during Reboot's run? I'm fuzzy on the dates for either. I know some form of MacOS existed at the time.
>>
File: 3.5-dsktp-holder-1.jpg (44 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
3.5-dsktp-holder-1.jpg
44 KB, 900x675
>>83468591
Yes.

On a related note: I hated these things.
>>
>>83468620
I kind of miss them. Flipping through physical media you made yourself had a certain charm to it that I no longer feel with a small thumb drive with everything on it.
>>
>>83468425
Ah that's too bad. If you ever happen to cross paths with the guy let him know about my site and stuff. I've always loved seeing the swag they kept in storage (I'm surprised there was anything left after Catherine Winder had her infamous meltdown).
>>
File: 0_480_640_0_70_-news-zipdrive.jpg (25 KB, 640x384) Image search: [Google]
0_480_640_0_70_-news-zipdrive.jpg
25 KB, 640x384
I wish I still had my external.

God damn 100mb was a lot back then.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.