[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Brevoort: In terms of Rhodey, we were not unaware that killing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: 1452440048145.jpg (33 KB, 501x250) Image search: [Google]
1452440048145.jpg
33 KB, 501x250
>Brevoort: In terms of Rhodey, we were not unaware that killing Rhodey meant we’d have a story where an African American character dies, which is something that happens prevalently in our medium. That’s a conversation that we had. In our particular retreat where we talked about this, Ta’Nehisi Coates was in the retreat for the first time. He heard all of this, and afterwards, he sent a long missive to myself and Axel, which we forwarded to Brian and we all spoke about, in terms of what he thought the reaction would be and what the ramifications would be, that we had to consider that from all sides. And we have.

We were actually joking about his facial expression after that summit but it was legit. KEK
>>
>>83455575
Source?
>>
>>83455575
>We were actually joking about his facial expression after that summit but it was legit.

Explain?
>>
>>83455575
Ah yes, treating characters differently based on skin color

Thank god we're past racism
>>
>>83455758
an interview with newsrama

http://www.newsarama.com/29536-civil-war-ii-1-not-a-simple-smash-em-up-spoilers.html

>>83455759
Coates looks like he doesn't want to be there. OP's pic is the facial expression he's talking about
>>
He should have known better than to trust a company who hired him to only write a black character
>>
>>83455759
They took a picture with all the writers, and Coates has the semi frown from the OP while everybody else is smiling.
>>
>>83455759

Basically, the OP pic is the group pic from the Summit where they came up with CW2. It all must have been kind of weird for Coates, who had no comic experience to listen to all that bullshit they must have been spewing.

Especially with his background and how the "kill the black guy" thing was the kickoff.
>>
>>83455759
OP pic is from a pic taken at Coates first retreat where everyone decided to kill Rhodey, he wasn't happy at all with that decision as Brevoort happily recalls.
>>
>get hired to be the black writer to write the black hero
>get dragged into circus summit for some shitty event just to show they have black people
>LITERALLY first bullet point of crossover is "kill the nigga"

Not saying that black characters should be untouchable, but after doing the same shit last CW, its kinda noteable since there aren't that many to begin with.
>>
>>83455884
>marvel has two black writers now
>they're both writing nothing but black characters

Who will be the first to write a non-black character and if they don't, who will go way of Priest and resent being pigeon holed?
>>
don't kill da black folk it gives off a negative message n shieet
>>
>>83455917
>Basically, the OP pic is the group pic from the Summit where they came up with CW2. It all must have been kind of weird for Coates, who had no comic experience to listen to all that bullshit they must have been spewing.

Ah, perfectly explained, thank you.

I find it funny that most of the new writers to comics that enter the medium through the Big 2 bring their A-game to the table, and then they discover creator owned comics, and their big 2 work notably suffers.

I wonder if it will happen to this guy.
>>
>>83456006
>Be a black panther fan
>Want someone like Ellis to do some epic BP story that's not some retread
>Marvel's continues to hire non comicbook writers that happen to be black to write him
Being a BP fan is suffering
>>
Even outside of the racial stuff that he died while being incompetent (and killing She-Hulk in the process) rather than a heroic sendoff is pretty insulting. And it's such a shitty story on top of that even.
>>
>>83455575
I doubt that having Rhodey killed was influenced by his race but I have to admit, why would you, after courting a talent known mostly for his writing on issues faced by black people in America, invite him to a summit where you're planning to kill a prominent black character to give a white character angst?

Just from a people management standpoint, that seems dumb.
>>
>we need to get a black guy's permission first before we kill a fictional character
>>
>>83456106
They want to promote hey we have this legit black dude writing the black guy character who is going to have a movie with a lot of black people in it
>>
>>83456006
>marvel has two black writers now

They dominate the women writer quota now though, right?
>>
So why aren't people bitching that we don't have enough hispanics and asians in comics?

Why is it only black people?
>>
>>83456090
>Want someone like Ellis to do some epic BP story that's not some retread
Knowing Ellis, he'd write 6 issue of BP beating the shit out of people while spewing edgy one liners. I'm not that big of a fan of current run but I'll take this over Ellis' garbage anyday.
>>
>>83456197
They're the loudest and most likely to burn down the city if they're not babied?
>>
>>83456197
>hispanics

We don't give a shit.
>>
>>83456197
They don't have enough balls to be the bad guy. Blacks do.

Asians just watch as asian characters get turned white.
>>
File: Bill Foster.png (555 KB, 500x645) Image search: [Google]
Bill Foster.png
555 KB, 500x645
>>83455575
but killing a black guy is a Civil War tradition
>>
>>83456197
Because this has nothing to do with an Asian or Hispanic character

Take your oppression Olympics shit elsewhere
>>
File: 1464943278741.png (231 KB, 643x537) Image search: [Google]
1464943278741.png
231 KB, 643x537
>>83455575
>being so out of touch that you have to ask the black guy how black people would react to the black guy dying
>>
>>83456267
Don't forget about Night Thrasher
>>
>>83456313
I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Coates was peeved.

They were probably discussing it and it got to Rhodes, and Coates probably rolled his eyes a bit but moved past it, but then noticed that everyone was staring at him like he was about to explode.

Then Brevoort was like 'w-what do you think of this decision M-Mr Coates'.
>>
>>83456197
Because Hispanic isn't a race, you can make a white gut with dark hair and say he's spainish I you wanted to

And Asians have Manga which is superior to any western shit
>>
Live by the SJW, die by the SJW.
>>
>>83456046

Coates fucking loves Marvel though, and admits it was pretty much all he read until discovering creator owned comics a year or two ago. He now seems to have a pretty good diet of pretty much everything reading wise, but I don't know if he'll ever write for Image or something like that.

If he DOES write a non big two fiction comic, my guess is someone like Fantagraphics, Drawn and Quarterly, or even Vertigo would be more likely to pick it up, based on his previous output. I can't imagine him writing something like Nailbiter or Revival for Image, but I could see him doing something like Deadly Class.
>>
>>83456448
>If he DOES write a non big two fiction comic, my guess is someone like Fantagraphics, Drawn and Quarterly, or even Vertigo would be more likely to pick it up,

I eagerly wait for that day.

Hopefully the big 2 machine doesn't take much away from him.
>>
>>83456006
>Priest is now writing Deathstroke
The Curse is lifted.
>>
>>83456006

Walker honestly seems like the kind of guy who will do well at Marvel if the editors don't fuck him over. He plays well with other peoples toys, as his Shaft comic indicates.

Coates I think will probably finish his run and move on, having checked a dream off the checklist. Though if Bendis or Slott gave him one of the Spider-Men I would bet you real money he'd take it in a heartbeat. He's said he wants to write Spider-Man his entire life.
>>
File: ChwF4fKU4AQajC8.jpg (37 KB, 474x698) Image search: [Google]
ChwF4fKU4AQajC8.jpg
37 KB, 474x698
>not killing Move or Be Moved Girl
>>
>>83456328
Figuratively who
>>
>>83456328
>Don't forget about Night Thrasher

A bunch of white (and other) characters died in that same incident so it doesn't have the same impact.
>>
>>83456569
My god she's ugly
>>
>>83455575
>Coates: Tha hell, nigga?! Why does THE BLACK MAN gotta die?
>>
>>83456598
>He hasn't read 90's New Warriors
Man these newfags
>>
>>83456533
>slott ever giving up peter
>bendis ever giving up miles
yeah no, won't be happening
>>
Well I mean not like he's a genius or anything
>>
>>83456569
>Those Live Strong earrings
So great.
>>
>>83456197
gringos gonna gring
>>
>>83455575
The bad symbolism of them killing off the black guy (if he's dead) will cost them as many readers as the CIVIL WAR movie lost viewers for constantly killing black guys.

(Seriously, almost everybody who dies or gets hurt in the movie is black. Crossbones/Wanda blow up a bunch of Africans, T'Challa's dad gets killed, Tony is guilt-tripped over the death of a black kid and Rhodey is crippled. Cost in number of viewers: 0.)

The problem with jumping on Marvel for killing a black guy is that it's blaming an individual for a collective problem. So it's possibly a collective problem that there aren't a lot of black characters in comics and it hurts more if one of them dies. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't kill Rhodey, it's just an extra data point against it.

So Coates told them it would look bad with black readers, they thought it over and did it anyway. Doesn't make them wrong.
>>
>People are suddenly realizing that Marvel's 'OOOHHHH LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE' crap is bull.

This is what they get for fucking over Eli Bradley.
>>
>>83456106
>Marvel
>dumb
they haven't had a competent employee since Jim Shooter left
>>
>>83456197
Until fairly recently America was mostly a white country with a large black minority. So a lot of people - black and white - remember a time when if you were talking about "diversity" you mostly meant black.
>>
>>83456700

I know Bendis has to put four kids through college over the next few years but come on it's not like losing one little title will kill him.
>>
>>83456569
>girl
>>
Lol racist-ass Marvel.

Got the nerve to make "hip hop covers" yet they won't hire blacks unless they are called out.

One of 2 or 3 reasons I hate this shit company.
>>
>>83457293
Is the other that the CEO gave money to Trump's veterans charity?
>>
File: xLpYYgV.png (463 KB, 729x539) Image search: [Google]
xLpYYgV.png
463 KB, 729x539
>>
>>83455575
>which is something that happens prevalently in our medium.
No, it's not.
>>
>>83456197
because this country has a particular history with black people

this goes for anything where "what about asians and hispanics?" can fit
>>
File: atomica.jpg (769 KB, 902x892) Image search: [Google]
atomica.jpg
769 KB, 902x892
>>83458073
Yes, it is.
>>
>>83456197
They do bitch here sometimes, but they never do enough research on existing characters and will immediately goalpost move whenever presented with evidence. Same shit happened with iron fist, just the oppression Olympics again
>>
>>83458207
Name a second one in recent memory.
>>
Like black guys ever smile in pictures anyways.
>>
>>83456233
Not for media rep, that's another group
>>
>>83458309
Civil War 1. Black Goliath.
>>
>>83458207
Jesus, those tits seem to shrink slower than the rest of her
>>
>>83458309
Shuri
>>
>>83458168
There are actually Hispanic and Asian characters in the big two, but why would you that character who supposedly represents you being dragged through this shit like this? Is representation really that paramount?
>>
File: mpv-shot0002.jpg (36 KB, 720x320) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0002.jpg
36 KB, 720x320
>>83456569
dat ass doe. I hope she dons the black panther suit as shuri in the BP solo film...
>>
>>83455575
They love killing off the brothas as soon as possible.
>>
>>83456569
Muh dick. Can't wait to see her in WW
>>
>>83456956
miles is basically one of his pet creations. the only time other people write him is if it's a team book, or an event book. bendis isn't getting off that main title any time soon. fucker isn't even gonna give the upcoming Alias reboot to anyone else.
>>
>>83456956
It would mean bendis eating five meals less per day. How do you expect bendis to only survive on 12 meals per day?
>>
>>83459225

What's going on with that reboot, anyways? I've heard rumblings on /co/, but can't find any news about it.
>>
>>83458207
Why are people still butthurt about this?
>>
>>83456197
They do, you just don't care about them. Like right now there are about in current Marvel alone
2 Asiana with a solo
2 Latins
and 3 Blacks one of which is half black then you have team book that feature all these people. So what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>83458207
She wasn't black
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.