[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did Deadpool do right that X-Men Apocalypse did wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 1472x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 1472x312
What did Deadpool do right that X-Men Apocalypse did wrong?

Why did Critics love Deadpool but hate X-Men Apocalypse?

Why is Miller so much better than Singer?
>>
>>83446097
Did justice to the characters (and costumes).
Also, no JLaw
>>
>>83446150
THIS. A thousand times this.
>>
>>83446097
pandered to normies and quips
>>
>>83446150
>no JLaw
I actually felt a bit cringey at the end when they had that scene forced in the end, just for the trailer
The movie felt too long to me and I honestly think the entire scene with Striker could be cut out.
>Striker comes in, kidnaps a hand full of people
>They rescue everyone and free weapon X
>Immediately forget entirely about Striker, and get back to right where they left off at before getting captured
scene added nothing to the story, other than adding a teaser.

also fuck this guy for throwing in Sentinels in the danger room at the end of the film, just like they did in the beginning of X-3, because they knew people wanted to see that shit.

Also try watching the scene where angel tries out his new wings and see how they were trying to keep the budget down. You see close ups of his body and head, hear the wing move off screen, then cut right to feathers implanted in the wall. Not hitting the wall, just cut right to them already in the wall to save on that effects budget.
>>
>>83446097

>why did a 110 minute action-comedy with almost no required lore knowledge do better then a 2.5 hour long epic that has zero impact unless you're a fan of the comics and filled with bizarre tangents and characters

A true mystery, OP. And I say this as someone who liked Apocalypse, that movie is a flaming mess that barely works. I just happen to like its messiness.
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool did something new and was fun.

X-Men Apocalypse was just another meh Singer X-Men. Only with a more boring villain.
>>
>>83446438
>The movie felt too long to me and I honestly think the entire scene with Striker could be cut out.
This part makes less and less sense the more I think about it.
Why Stryker immediately know who Quicksilver is and that he is at the mansion?
Why would he attack exactly at the moment Apokalypse got rid of all weapons and humans are most vunerable against mutants.
Did he know what just happen at the Xavier institute, because things would have be hundred times less convenient when not every single student was gathered outside and Xavier wasn't out cold.
People bitch about the Thor scene in AoU but this was at least short and partly influenced the creation of Vision.
>>
>>83446097
Critics thought deadpool was MCU
>>
>>83446097
It was made by people who give a fuck.
>>
People such as myself love memes. Seriously though if Apocalypse was more fun i wouldve enjoyed it, but Civil War was the best Comic Book movie i've ever seen. Plus Deadpool was so funny
>>
>>83446657
We don't even really know what his plan was. Round up a handful of mutants, hope there were absolutely no psychics that would detect their true intention.

I mean, this also implies he had it staged where they would pretend to be medics knowing the mansion would explode. At least Striker watched the 90's cartoon.
>>
>>83446097
Miller and Reynolds actually care about Deadpool.

Singer only cares about Twinks.
>>
>>83446097
>With Sophie Turner now we have two female lead actresses who can't act
>Another 10 years time skip and everyone still looks the same
>Love interest that everyone forgot about shows up again for 3 minutes of screen time with no consequence to the plot whatsoever
>Apocalypse only has weird badly explained motivations
>Big dumb end fight with 30 minutes of CGI shit
>"people liked that quicksilver scene in the last one, let's do the same shit again but on steroids and twice as long"
>Magneto becomes murderous maniac who wants to destroy the world ... but then he changes his mind ... and Xavier just shrugs and is bros with him again "cya until the next movie my bff :)"
>Jean Grey has the phoenix powers and can control them with no problems somehow
>Millions of people die because of that Magneto thing, but nobody cares afterwards and it has no impact at all
>Wolverine has metal bones again and did all of that weapon X shit, even though that was averted in the last movie with Mystique impersonating the evil government guy fishing him out of the river

This is why.

I still thought it was okayish
>>
>>83447082
>"people liked that quicksilver scene in the last one, let's do the same shit again but on steroids and twice as long"
and it was the best part of the film
>>
Deadpool is different. Very different. People like different things. GoG was different. Avengers was different(at the time). AoU wasn't.

Days of Future Past was a bit different from the other shitty X Men movies. Apocalypse didn't understand why DoFPS was well received and they tried to go all out and make their own "Avengers"
>>
File: deadpool-colossus-header.jpg (43 KB, 640x378) Image search: [Google]
deadpool-colossus-header.jpg
43 KB, 640x378
It actually had a good portrayal of an X-men character.
>>
>>83447115
Yeah, seemed forced into the plot though. It has a completely different mood than the stuff that comes beforehand and afterwards. If you look at it as a singular action sequence, then it's great.
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool felt like a Deadpool movie.

Singer's X-Men feel like Heroes adapted to a movie.
>>
>>83447219

>Heroes

>ever having fight scenes

Good joke anon, tell me another.
>>
>>83447115
It was terrible
>make it a point that QS has to hold necks to avoid whiplash
>grabs people without holding their necks
>chucking people at a thousand miles per hour
>nobody harmed or injured
>shitty cgi
>>
>>83446475
>liked Apocalypse
Why are all these beloved celebrities dying and yet vash still breathes the same air as me? It just isn't right.
>>
because lel deadpool is epic xD that kind of bullshit
>>
>>83446530
>Deadpool did something new
What was new exactly? The forced romance plot? The sex jokes? The physical comedy?

>and was fun
Oh jesus.
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool had a smaller focus and cast, thus giving a tighter story and characters as opposed to Apoc's grand scale and cast size
>>
Apocalypse was Singer's most entertaining X-film.
Not the best, but most entertaining.
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool, despite being a lower budget, actually felt like a high quality motion picture. Miller knows how to use his budget.

X-Men Apocalypse feels like it lost its funding during several parts. Singer does not know how to handle his budget.
>>
>>83447396
Most critics on Rotten Tomatoes called it boring.
>>
Apocalypse was just them throwing a ton of shit at the screen and hoping some of it stuck. I think it's telling they had that big "thanks for supporting our movie that supported ten billion jobs" thing in front of it, because that just reaffirms this is a made-by-committee clusterfuck.

To be fair I thought the good parts were really good and if someone had taken the time to trim this beast down and refocus the movie, it could have been actually good.
>>
>>83447309
The romance in Deadpool was better written than the Cuckromance with Sniktbub and JEEEEEAAAAAN! or Prof X and Moira's superman returns romance or Magneto and his dead wife.

Deadpool's humor is also actually funny. On the same level as the greatest comedies.

And it has some of the best action scenes. And tons of neat gore effects.
>>
>>83447983
>I think it's telling they had that big "thanks for supporting our movie that supported ten billion jobs" thing in front of it, because that just reaffirms this is a made-by-committee clusterfuck.
I thought I was the only one who got that. That was awkward as fuck.

Save that shit for Blu-ray/DVD not the theater.
>>
>>83446097
Shouldn't you be comparing DoFP to Apoc?
>>
>>83447261
Was the shitty CGI scene you're talking about the scene of Quicksilver running from the trailer?
>>
>>83448053
And yet none of those elements you described are new.
>>
>>83446097
Origin movies are the best regardless of what /co/ thinks

You will see Deadpool deteriorating as more sequels are shat out
>>
>>83447396
>Apocalypse was Singer's most entertaining X-film.
How is this not X2?
>>
Deadpool is a new, fresh take on capes while X-Men is basically an overused whore.
>>
>>83448097
>I thought I was the only one who got that. That was awkward as fuck.
I thought that too but then I heard people all over the internet complaining about it and now I realize they actually put that before the movie.

Like what the fuck? I've never even seen that before in a theater
>>
>>83447181
Loved Colossus. He's so pure.
>>
>>83448359
What about Deadpool is new and fresh?
>>
>tfw Cerebro turns purple
Everything about that scene was GOAT
>>
>>83448463
It's the first R-rated X-Men movie and comedy. Also the first X-Men spin-off not about Wolverine.
>>
>>83448511
It was shit and looked stupid. Like something from a syfy channel movie.
>>
>>83448463
Non-linear story telling, rated R and it's about a guy saving his lover and not the world.
>>
>>83447408

Deadpool had like 7 people in it, meaning almost none of its budget went actor wages.
Apocalypse had 26 people in it, meaning all of its budget went to actors
>>
>>83446759
>MCU's success is making people THIS mad
>>
It didn't try to add characters just for the sake of having them be in the universe. Like Psylocke.

It played it as simple as possible and didn't try to overdo things.
>>
>>83449009
Welcome to 4 years ago.
>>
>>83446097
Barring regular standouts (Fassbender, McAvoy), the only thing that X-Men did right were the kids and Apocalypse. Problem was, the former took a backseat for more "muh Cherik" while the latter was as one-dimensional as every other version of him.
>>
>>83447181
AND GOOD COSTUMES
>>
>>83446376
Booo! Fuck off!
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool cinematic universe when?
>>
>>83447082
You don't know shit about the phoenix fagboy.
>>
>>83448053
>not setting up proteus

/co/ is such a spectacular group of casuals
>>
>>83448282
A capefilm that is well written is definitely something new.
>>
>>83448282
New is overrated.
>>
Angsty teen girl woman had a more accurate wolverine costume than we will ever see Logan wearing.
>>
>>83446097
Singer is from a different era. He made Xmen during a time when Superhero films were like the Matrix. His movies are somewhat faithful but lack the colorful costumes. But Singer is gonna bring them back. Problem is that he cut amazing scenes out of the film. Kinberg needs to work more closely with Singer. They cut the mall scene which looks like Xmen Evolution and the 90s show. But the film is still good I heard. Singer needs to embrace the source material. He is starting to do it. Deadpool is 100% embracing it. The Xmen films just need to not cut scenes. The mutants need more focus. The studio pushed Jennifer Lawrence way too much in marketing. How was she in this /co/? Psylocke is like Hawkeye in Avengers 1. I need to watch this. The Xmen Universe is getting closer to MCU quality. I am so glad this franchise is surviving after all these years. Fox does a great job. Marvel needs to write good comics though. Their feud is dying down. Feige loved Deadpool.
>>
>>83447200
That scene was better out of context. We went from Apocalypse taking control of the nukes, Xavier being kidnapped, and Havok blowing up to IMMEDIATELY going to a cutesy rescue montage set to music. It was kind of a jarring mood change.
>>
>>83447233
FUCK I FORGOT HOW SHIT HEROES WAS

god dammit, I wasted so much life on that garbage
>>
>>83446097
Jokes
A bad movie has jokes then critics/audience feel less embarrassed about liking it

It's a bit dishonest but it does seem to work.
People are too hip to enjoy something non-ironically. You can't be too earnest with your action film...it pisses people off. Even the original 1978 Superman had some camp moments making it "okay to like"

Disney's Marvel flicks kind of over do this. But people seem to like it
>everyone has a gimmick now !
(Hahahaha...good thing he made a joke about how dumb the situation is or id have to dislike it)

Winter Solider seems to be fairly joke free and is well liked but I think it's a hard balancing act really.
>>
>>83449861
hey, season 1 was great
>>
>>83449963
Apocalypse had a very fair amount of jokes

Off the top of my head

-Anything involving QS, but "I still live in my mom's basement" sticks out
-Nightcrawler's "I'm Blue"
-Scott torching Charles' favorite tree, this got a good laugh from the audience
-"Hope we don't run into that guy again"
-Xavier dropping his spaghetti around Moira
>>
>>83450046
One of the biggest laughs in my theatre was Nightcrawler's "on three"
>>
File: 1333861306418.png (40 KB, 392x200) Image search: [Google]
1333861306418.png
40 KB, 392x200
>>83447318
Anyone can say this or that but I already know x-men movies as soon as this was announced it was there downfall.

Same goes for comics and movies all these super big bad evil events and you wonder why they suck it's because no time was given, think if the civil war movie why it was good is because small stories built that up you need to build up into these things instead of doing something so grand so early.

Xmen movies should just focus on smaller heroes or events than build into it or hell if that sounds too expensive a tv show or new cartoon series but for christ sakes to throw in a big event that does nothing like the last big events means little.
>>
>>83446097

I think it really comes down to whether or not the person in creative control gives a fuck about the source material.

Ryan Reynolds cares a lot about Deadpool, so much so that he worked for years to get the film made. Kevin Feige cares a lot about Marvel comics (to the point where he reads all of the ones being released every week) and this passion for the source material shows up in the movies.

Singer doesn't really care about the X-Men, he cares about grand action scenes. Snyder doesn't really care about Batman and Superman, he cares about action scenes. Hell, Goyer has so much contempt for DC comics that he said everyone who liked the Martian Manhunter was a virgin. And frankly, at the end of the day you can't expect creative person whose only in it for the money to be able to compete with a creative person who actually cares about what they're making.
>>
>>83449963
Winter Soldier had Cap dropping his spaghetti around BW at the mall.
>>
>>83447309
What's wrong with fun?
>>
>>83449963
Apocalypse had a shitload of jokes bit most of them got ruined by terrible delivery.

Same with Terminator: Genysys.
>>
>>83450431
It's funny that Ryan seems like a normal guy in real life but his "passion project" was a movie for 12 year olds based on a horrible comic book.
>>
>>83449707
>But Singer is gonna bring them back
He's leaving the franchise again, said he hopes to maybe keep being a producer and follow things a bit, but he's not directing anymore
>>
>>83446097
The actors seemed completely and utterly un-invested, and the and the dialogue was either clumsy or generic. JLaw and Byrne especially seemed bored, especially since they're both usually great actors.

Also, they gave like no attention to the timeskip. Charles and Moira look like they're 36 even though they're like 50 and Peter still lives with his mom even though he's 27.
>>
>>83449707
>His movies are somewhat faithful
Don't lie, anon. It's not polite.
>but lack the colorful costumes.
Which is funny because you would think a gay man woud have good fashion sense.
>But Singer is gonna bring them back.
Rotten tomatoes disagrees. They preferred Captain America Civil War. And they preferred Deadpool to Crapocalypse.
>The Xmen Universe is getting closer to MCU quality
Pfffthahahahahahha!!! Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh harder, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>Fox does a great job.
They really don't, Foxshill.
>Marvel needs to write good comics though.
They do, Foxshill. Maybe if you (and Singer) actually read them the movies would make more than the MCU.
>>
>>83450596
>but his "passion project" was a movie for 12 year olds based on a horrible comic book
this is how you spot a foxshill, they don't read comics.
>>
>>83450749
Again? Seriously? I thought he was going to adapt the Dark Pheonix? Wasn't that the whole purpose of the movie? And he's leaving? Again.
>>
>>83450046
>>83450133
In Poland, all Polish scenes have caused laugh, but mostly because it was so pathetic in terms of everything, from heavy american accents, to really bad acting.
>Henryk, proszę cie, nie rób tego!
Destroyed supposedly emotional scene of
>My name is not Henry, my name is Magneto
and caused laughter, destroying mood completely.

Stan Lee destroyed mood of nukes as well.
>>
>>83446097
DP didn't have that pedo Singer running everything
>>
>>83446097

Deadpool had the least amount of Pullverine out of any X-men movie, that was a start.

No Fagneato too.
>>
>>83451069
or JLaw
>>
>>83447082
>Wolverine has metal bones again and did all of that weapon X shit, even though that was averted in the last movie with Mystique impersonating the evil government guy fishing him out of the river
I actually saw people defending this and saying that this didn't necessarily mean Wolverine was saved from the Weapon X stuff.

So, you know. Really cripples the position of all the people defending this movie's flaws.
>>
>>83448053

>The romance in Deadpool was better written than the Cuckromance with Sniktbub and JEEEEEAAAAAN!

kek
>>
>>83451126

J Law has only shitted up 2 X-men films so far.

Wolverine has cucked the other characters out of decent dialogue or screen time in all but first class. There's no comparison.

Also Magfag has been a psyhcotic terrorist in every single X-men film, which is all of them bar the solo Wolverine ones.

>you now remember they also wanted a solo Magneato film
>>
>>83451456
Seriously, does Magneto have to be the villain in all these movies? He even cuckholds Apocalypse in his own movie. Magneto kills billions of people (more than the holocaust). Apocalypse doesn't do shit except get rid of the nukes.
>>
File: rekt obama.gif (917 KB, 500x228) Image search: [Google]
rekt obama.gif
917 KB, 500x228
>>83446150
THIS. JLaw was so meh in this
>not even blue for most of the movie
>forget everything you know
what happened after DoFP? Striker scene was just a teaser for the R-rated Wolverine movie BUT weapon X was one of the highlights of the movie.As soon as the quicksilver scene ends, its gets way too predictable.
>>83448053
>The romance in Deadpool was better written than the Cuckromance with Sniktbub and JEEEEEAAAAAN! or Prof X and Moira's superman returns romance or Magneto and his dead wife.
my fucking sides.
>>
>>83451542

What could have been

>X-men 1 (vs Magneato)
>Wolverine vs (Omega red, Sabertooth etc)
>X-men 2 (Sentinels and Mastermold)
>X-men 3 (DOFP)
>X-men 4 (Apocalypse)

Does he really kill a billion people? Damn...
>>
>>83448309
>Origin movies are the best regardless of what /co/ thinks
Captain america trilogy.
>>83448511
>Purple cerebro
>GOAT
This isnt Magnetto going UNLIMITED POWER.
>>
>>83451915
>Captain america trilogy
And? The Captain America movies are awesome. First is a bit flawed but otherwise still enjoyable. Especially more so than X-Men Apocalypse.
>>
>>83451915
I mean the whole Nuke scene in general
>>
Here were my gripes with the film
>Jean actress seems lifeless
>Storm isnt really a character
>Jubilee is a glorified cameo
>Quicksilver rehash scene and never resolves father issues
>Wolverine scene could have been cut out
>Apocalypse has no presence or anything interesting in his character
>Mystique and J Law in general
>CGI was pretty bad, especially in the final act
>Beast's makeup
Am I being too harsh?
>>
>>83446097
Because FOX wrote off Deadpool as a failure and never bothered to fuck with it, while X-Men was a tentpole that the major players phoned in. FOX didn't want to push the envelope and Singer didn't give a shit in the slightest. Hell, you had Jennifer Lawrence bragging about how she liked the film because she could be lazy and nobody would care.

You'd think they would have learned their lesson with Fan4stic.
>>
>>83451984
What I mean is that in the case of the cap trilogy the later movies are better than the origin story (mostly because the hydra part is a fucking montage)
>>83451456
>Wolverine has cucked the other characters out of decent dialogue or screen time in all but first class.
>first class is my favorite
So thats why
>>83452034
Oh well yeah that scene was great.I love how even the Stan Lee cameo added to how serious the scene is.
>Apoc use nukes
>normally he would destroy earth with them
>he rather send them to space so no human can stop him and because he powerful enough to get shit done by himself showing off a cocky side of his personality.
>no one in the movie has to explain it
The only problem with this scene is that, in the end, he doesnt do shit.
>>
They need to fucking get over this villain Magneto thing. It's been too many movies.
>>
>>83448463
Breaking the 4th wall in a cape film.
>>
>>83452226
I honestly thought the next plot point would be Magneto pulling the nukes from orbit after Havoc cut the connection. Instead we got....Magnegeddon????
>>
>>83452226
>Oh well yeah that scene was great.I love how even the Stan Lee cameo added to how serious the scene is.
I find his cameo to ruin it, because it's Stan Lee cameo.

That being said, he was with his actual wife there.
>>
>>83449449
They teased that DP is leading up to a team based franchise multiple times throughout the movie.
>>
File: x-men-beast-comparison.jpg (70 KB, 590x332) Image search: [Google]
x-men-beast-comparison.jpg
70 KB, 590x332
>>83452195
>Am I being too harsh?
Beast looks better than in First Class.
Still not on Last Stand level.
>>
>>83452366
Damn right. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to top Kelsey Grammer Beast.
>>
>>83452328
UNLIMITED POWER,son.
Magnetto learning that was great but the fact that he does Apocalypse dirty work show how useless Apoc is.Lets not even talk about how Apoc speak.Poor Issac.
>>
>>83446150
>Muh costumes
Costumes are literally, completely irrelevant to the quality of a film.

The answer is because it was a MCU type movie in disguise. A mediocre comedy with a forgettable villain.
>>
>>83448053
>Deadpool's humor is also actually funny.
No, its not. Its literally family guy tier comedy.

>Neat gore
Fuckoff underage faggot

>And it has some of the best action scenes.
No, it doesnt.
>>
>>83446150
first post best post
>>
>>83452417
Right. I mean theres a lot wrong with the character, but purely presentation wise: hes too short, his voice isnt really threatening, and despite his great power hes just boring to see in a fight. Then again, Apocalypse wasnt that great of a character to begin with....
>>
It's the Real Mummy 3
>>
Deadpool was more like a MCU flick
>>
File: sensible chuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>83452406
Although it is true that they made a step forward, with giving him nose back.

>Checking movie trivia for Apocalypse on tvtropes
>Self-Deprecation: When seeing Return of the Jedi, the characters are discussing which Star Wars is best. Jean replies "the third one is always the worst." The Last Stand was the third in the original trilogy and is widely regarded as the weakest. And Apocalypse itself is the third in the First Class trilogy. What's more is that Sophie Turner is the third actress to play Jean Grey, after Famke Janssen in the original films, and Haley Ramm as the young Jean in The Last Stand.
kek
>>
File: 1433682636095.jpg (21 KB, 280x278) Image search: [Google]
1433682636095.jpg
21 KB, 280x278
>>83452195
>>Jean actress seems lifeless
Yeah, they should have gotten a good actress instead of the most popular girl of the hour.

>>Storm isnt really a character
True, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. There are already quite a lot of established characters on the screen and you don't want to add even more. Also she acted as a villain for most of the movie.

>>Jubilee is a glorified cameo
Wait, she was in the movie?

>>Quicksilver rehash scene and never resolves father issues
Yep. Father issues in the next movie I guess.

>>Wolverine scene could have been cut out
They had to give him the metal claws back so the fans are happy. But yeah.

>>Apocalypse has no presence or anything interesting in his character
What we saw was interesting and I thought he had quite the presence, but his intentions seemed muddy at best. He just wants to blow up all the humans?

>>Mystique and J Law in general
Yeah, she sucks at acting and the blue make up looks horrible. Luckily she doesn't have the most important role in this movie unlike future past. I think they kinda made her the leader of the X-Men though...

>>CGI was pretty bad, especially in the final act
Yep

>>Beast's makeup
Same as Mystique's
>>
File: akira.jpg (151 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
akira.jpg
151 KB, 1024x768
>>83452503
Vision used to be shit and they changed him for the better. I see Apocalypse as an ideal, sort of like how people saw the destruction that could bring Akira as a renaissance but they never exploited that idea.
>>
File: akira the kid.jpg (132 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
akira the kid.jpg
132 KB, 1024x768
>>83452639
wrong picture sorry
>>
>>83446097
X-men didn't have enough memes
>>
>>83452420
>Costumes are literally, completely irrelevant to the quality of a film
Good costumes are very important. Superheroes need good costumes.
>>
File: hive1-aa050.jpg (94 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
hive1-aa050.jpg
94 KB, 1000x667
>>83452592
>What we saw was interesting and I thought he had quite the presence, but his intentions seemed muddy at best. He just wants to blow up all the humans?
His plan is basically Ultron's (though not to complete extreme), except that he did it before on a smaller scale, so has experience.

Add to that wanting Charles' powers to control everyone, and you get different guy who wanted to "uplift" mankind and connect to them all.
>>
>>83449852
It was better IN context because of the tension of the mansion exploding with everyone in it
>>
>>83452592
Actually come to think of it, the entire Stryker thing really annoyed me. 2 secs after the mansion is destroyed hes at their doorstep, fully prepared, and somehow knows he wants beast, quicksilver, and moira (mystique I can forgive given her celeb status). The entire scene afterwards was merely to get proto costumes, a ride to cairo, and have the wolverine cameo. It felt out of place
>>
>>83447082
>Love interest that everyone forgot about shows up again for 3 minutes of screen time with no consequence to the plot whatsoever

It was her fault Apocalypse happened. Those chanting fags had no idea what they were doing. If she hadn't fucked up he'd still be in the ground.
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool was very MCU
People think that Deadpool is part of MCU. No kidding
>>
>>83453161
sorry for samefagging, but it's true
normies think that Deadpool is MCU
>>
>>83452682
But I think the point of this movie is setting up the actual X-men with costumes again. Charles had given up on that stuff so they were left with whatever they could find. Apocalypse and crew looked good to me. I might not be autistic or gay enough to analyze screen shots.
>>
>>83453223
>using 'samefagging' incorrectly
get out newfag
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool had soul and emotion and was something new, it did a lot of things differently. It took a cliche revenge/get the girl story and added a lot of new elements to it.

Apocalypse is literally a patchwork film that takes elements from all the other films and adds nothing new or unique. Apocalypse doesn't do enough to really change anything.
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool embraced source material.

Fox's X-men always was ashamed of being comic book movies.
>>
>>83453161
>>83453223

>the downed helicarrier
>captain deadpool

they we're really playing it up
>>
>>83453067
They didn't really need her to do it, literally everyone could have triggered those events. It was just one of those "coincidences" that were added to the script to make her somewhat relevant again. Hell, the chanting fags could have done that on their own and the movie would have worked just as well.
>>
>>83453292
I'm not newfag. I am drunk
Please overlook my shitty post
People really think that DP is MCU
>>
Bigger doesn't always mean better.
>>
>No tension in the stakes since we know everyone lives happily ever after
>No real development for most of the cast
>Cyclops and Jean's actors suck
>Magneto gets a generic family for 10 minutes just to have them get murdered in front of him AGAIN
>The movie again ends on the "And now the X-Men are formed" note of First Class and DoFP
>Apocalypse is a generic villain
>The entire Weapon X segment is filler

Which of these did Deadpool do?
>>
>>83446097
>Emotion
>Clear characterization
>Protagonists who participated in the plot
>A clear and present main character whom we could identify with and root for
>Nods to the audience reveled in how silly they were, instead of coming off as sloppy and tryhard
>Better action
>Small stakes, but a lot of heart
>Fun goofy parts never clashed with legit serious scenes (ie: Wade didn't get his cancer diagnosis from Stan Lee)
>Unique spin on the "guy wants to get revenge/rescue the girl" story rather than generic "THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS AT STAKE" action plot

Deadpool was just a better movie.
Apocalypse wasn't BAD, but it certainly wasn't GOOD, especially compared to First Class and DoFP.
>>
>>83446097
I don't know. Respect the source material? Have a coherent script?
>>
>>83446097
Deadpool was a passion project that knew its limits and played its strengths appropriately.
>>
>>83453247
>"To me this is not the end of a trilogy. To me this is the climax of six movies, including X-Men 1, 2 and 3," he says. "It incorporates pieces and homages and reflections back on those previous movies. I don’t call it a sequel or a prequel – I call it an in-betweenquel. It harks upon all of those movies, and because it’s ultimately about the formation of the X-Men, it’s the beginning of endless possibilities with these characters."

Seriously, fuck this guy. Bryan Singer is the one of the biggest pieces of shits on the planet and the worst thing to happen to the X-Men.

Also
>pic related
>LOL ONLY FOOLING FELLAS
>>
>>83453989
wow, storm looked that awful?
>>
>>83454046
Oh shit, like you wouldn't believe. They even fucked up her origin story.
>>
>>83447082
>Another 10 years time skip and everyone still looks the same

At this point with all the timeline shit they messed up, I treat X-Men movies as if they're like comic books where the characters don't age since when they are introduced
>>
File: xavier-school.jpg (104 KB, 1280x584) Image search: [Google]
xavier-school.jpg
104 KB, 1280x584
>No other students show their powers except for the main cast

School for the gifted my ass
>>
>>83450431
One word: Nolan.

Not a comic fan at first but still made amazing Batman movies regardless.
>>
>>83453989
Fuck off.
The Mk. 1 Sentinels coming out was great.
>>
>>83450891
No one here, regardless of who they shill, reads comics.
>>
Critics fucking love self-referential humor. They're all into that "modernism" shit and Deadpool fits that perfectly.
>>
>>83453989
What the fuck did he say wrong here? Looks like you're just looking for reasons to bitch now.
>>
File: image.jpg (496 KB, 1926x1380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
496 KB, 1926x1380
>>83453989
>lets take classic costume and rape them into shitty tacticcool versions of themselves
You think a gay would have better fashion sense. Why does he hate having X-Costumes look good or fun?
Not that it matters since the costumes will be ignored in the next movie. Like when they replaced Magneto's first costume with one that looks like Bacon in DoFP.
Also
>Don't worry, the next movie will be a REAL X-Men movie!
You keep promising that Fox and instead you keep kicking me in the balls.
>>
>>83454933
You have to at least give FOX some credit for trying this time with the costumes. They dont look half bad. But yeah your second point about "next movie" is valid
>>
>>83454933
That First Class outfit Magneto wore in the end was ass, kid.
>>
>>83455109
you're ass
>>
>>83454933
Well Kurt's at the least is pretty close

>>83455095
Yeah, they sure did try this time. They finally got the costumes right in one scene after 8 movies. Even though Deadpool got it in one.
>>
>>83455109
b-buh muh vaughn
>>
>>83455170
Oh I know its blatant sequel bait and its a shame its taken THIS LONG to see something remotely similar, but I was just commenting strictly on their appearance. Theyre certainly an improvement from the black suits
>>83455109
I blame the chest plate
>>
>>83455165
Never said I wasn't and that still doesn't make Magneto's getup in First Class any good.
>>
So how bad/not there was Paquin Rogue?
>>
>>83455391
Rogue was in this?
>>
File: 4261964-the+man+with+no+taste.jpg (68 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
4261964-the+man+with+no+taste.jpg
68 KB, 800x449
>>83452447
>>
>>83455422
I assumed so, films kept trying to push the worst Rogue ever. Now her hair will never be puffy with a white streak just straight with white bangs.
>>
>>83454561
HOW THE FUCK ARE THE SENTINELS STILL AROUND?

You either admit that trask dying lead to the sentinels going full production or his death never mattered.
>>
>>83456557
Trask dying led to his ideals dying with him.
Ideals such as running experiments on still living mutants.
Given they were classified as government property, I can see them used in minimal capacity after Apocalypse's attack
>>
>>83454689
Two things.

One: it implies that this is a closed loop within the universe, that nothing else regarding these characters will be associated with any one else's attempt to alter, change, or contradict what they may create. Basically, the faggot's trying to be a special snowflake since 16 years ago.

Two: He's literally saying that this movie is, like half of the movies within this "universe", and quite possibly more, are nothing but jumping points, starts, to something bigger and better that we will never see. For 16 years. 16. Years. This fucking asshole has been harping and beating around the bush, denying what many fans want, a true-blue straight played story that does justice to the source material that it's directly made from, warts and all. Hell, this faggot has used one fucking villain this entire time and he's never even been off planet. Fuck this piece of shit movie, fuck this twink loving director, fuck this gay world, and fuck you for not having the mental capacity to recognize this.
>>
>>83456557
It's a training simulation in the Danger Room
>>
>>83454561
it was stupid.
It was just teasing us that the next film would be an X-men film.
Like every X-men movie before.
>>
>>83456858
I didn't care that it was a tease.
I just thought it was a nice way to end things.
Fuck yeah, punch those Sentinels bitches.
Cue X-Men theme.
>>
>>83453989
>>83454933
God, I will never not be mad about those stupid fucking visors. How the fuck are they on his head? At least with the shades you can see that they go behind his ears, but these ones? The fuck? Do Xaiver and Jean telepathically keep them on his head? Does he have a clip on his nose? Don't look down buddy, or they might just slip. Are they drilled into his skill? Fucking idiot costume designer and fucking shitty ass mouth breathing faggot director.
>>
File: X men kicking ass as usual.png (685 KB, 1290x746) Image search: [Google]
X men kicking ass as usual.png
685 KB, 1290x746
>>83456889
Yeah, I too enjoyed when they showed off their respective powers and beat the living snot out of those robots!

OH WAIT

>Final shot
>>
>>83456889
>I didn't care that it was a tease.
Then please shut up and stop having opinions.
It's a fucking tease. It's a 5 second scene, where they don't even show the sentinel completely. At least Singer learned the lesson this time to not put that in the trailer and completely lie about what's in the movie.
>>
File: 1459119391260.jpg (72 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1459119391260.jpg
72 KB, 323x323
>>83452420

>Costumes are literally, completely irrelevant to the quality of a film.
>in a superhero film

anon...
>>
File: 4684984.jpg (27 KB, 285x298) Image search: [Google]
4684984.jpg
27 KB, 285x298
>Other students calling Jean a "freak"

Shouldn't the Professor give them a mental smackdown for that?

The fuck is up with them bratty kids?
>>
>>83457756
>be mutant
>go to school for mutants
>still get called a freak
Jesus. What's the mutie version of a school shooting? Tipping off the sentinels?
>>
File: Glob_Herman.jpg (67 KB, 307x420) Image search: [Google]
Glob_Herman.jpg
67 KB, 307x420
>>83457756
>jean grey
>a freak
Those kids haven't seen shit yet
>>
>>83457859
>When you're all roasting that one technopath in class until you see a pair of glowing red eyes in the window.
>>
Deadpool was a small movie. It's budget was tiny, and its story was more personal and contained. Audiences connect with stories that are emotionall resonant more than they do scale.

Age of Apocaplypse was buried under the weight of spectacle. They poured money at it under the assumption that it creates quality. Entire continents get wiped clean by the bad guys. It's big and flashy, but sterile.

Is it really surprising that people like a story about a guy trying to get his girl back more than a story where someone kills billions and it's swept under the rug?
>>
>>83447042
This a thousand times

Here thread this is why Apocashit failed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTBlBuIzTY
>>
>>83447181
>tfw he'll never get a red-orangexyellow costume
>>
>>83458048
Yeah. This shit never has weight until you see it up close and care for the people.
Seeing Hiroshima nuked from ten miles away means nothing to the audience.
But show a child for two minutes playing before it gets turned into a black silhouette on the wall and the audience relates.
This is basic psychology, damn it.
>>
I saw both in theatres. I'm an X-men fan and don't give a shit about Deadpool, but Deadpool was a better movie. Deadpool worked well as a standalone, and had people laughing from the opening credits. Reynolds also did a much better job than he did in Green Lantern. McAvoy and Fassbender were great as always, but there were a lot of poor performances in Apocalypse. It was also a more dramatic film, and didn't seem like it had enough time to tell the full story. A bunch of scenes that should've been in the film were cut for time. It's harder to develop a bunch of diverse characters than it is to explore one character.
>>
>>83454506
yeah, but Nolan set out to make story by sticking to the main points of the character.
>>
>>83459199
Eh. CW just showed how to do many characters right, I think. But it had the advantage of not following a team but showing the interactions of mostly established characters while laying a clear focus on the central conflict.
It was all about personal stakes, not allegiance.
They all had a reason and interests for everything.
And I think it might be a one-off that cannot be repeated.
But in Apocalypse we saw how not to do it, I think.
Weak motivation, vague ideas and impersonal slaughter to no avail.
Bucky killed Tony's mom and Steve knee it.
That is how you motivate a clash.
Not with pointless religious reference.
>>
>>83453989
Someone should photoshop that fat wolverine cosplay (the one next to stan lee) in there.
>>
>>83447082
>Apocalypse only has weird poorly explained motives.
No, he wants to rule and has the power to do so. So what does he do? Tries to rule in the only way he knows how. Overpowering everything. Literally the simplest part of the movie senpai
>>
>>83452834
There's no tension in Quicksilver's bullet time scenes.
>>
>>83462057
There's no tension in the franchise at all because the only movie with the balls to kill characters that we were nominally supposed to care about is X3
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.