[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-men
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 308x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 308x477
Has anyone else noticed that the social commentary aspect of X-men has largely been absent from the last two films? Does it worry /co/ that this trend might continue?
>>
>>83441417
From the ending for Apocalpyse, I think it will be back
>>
>>83441417
I wouldn't call it "downplayed" so much as a more nuanced and realistic look at how civil rights isn't a fucking shitshow that stands still every decade, shit does gradually get better.

Morrison's run had a similar take and it was a lot fucking better than the "constantly on the cusp of extinction, Magneto was right, the dream is dead" bullshit the comics have been forcing on us since House of M.
>>
>>83441417
>mutant and proud
>hides her true appearence 95% throughout the movie.
>>
>>83442017
She was proud two movies ago.

Now she's a celebrity cuz she saved Nixon and trying to lie low.
>>
>>83441941
>Magneto was right, the dream is dead
Which is hilarious when we see Magneto's solo and him getting revelation that dream is way to go... only to have psychic Xavier image telling him they should've done gene war together and kill all flatscans.
>>
File: Jubilee Nightcrawler.jpg (109 KB, 624x256) Image search: [Google]
Jubilee Nightcrawler.jpg
109 KB, 624x256
I think it's more weird that she fell for and fucked Azazel in the very small window between the end of First Class and his apparent death
>>
>>83441417
No. have always had dumb complaints. Who the fuck wouldn't be afraid of someone who could level a building by taking off their glasses?
>>
>>83442110
>in the very small window between the end of First Class and his apparent death

Ten years is a small window?
>>
>>83442161

>In July 1963, Azazel and Angel Salvadore were slain by Project WideAwake operatives in a firefight. They were ambushed by them while they were asleep. Afterwards, their bodies were autopsied and examined by Trask Industries.
>>
>>83442034
She changed her look when she was with people who already knew her.
It really made me think that she actually is disgusted by her real appearance.
>>
>>83441417
All the good xmen Stories have nothing to do with social commentary or mutant metaphor, well God loves man kills, but phoenix, brood, mutant massacre, inferno, demon bear ect don't have mutant metaphors
>>
>>83442221
The only scene I remember her deliberately changing from blue to not in front of people was after the school blows up and the students are all staring at her. She didn't like being looked up to as a role model.
>>
>>83442110
So they are going that route? Won't it just mirror the weird Magneto/Quicksilver thing they're already doing?

I tried to explain Kurt's origins to my boyfriend but he didn't get it. He's just happy there's explosions and shit.
>>
>>83442277

He's still an orphan for all he knows, but why else would Raven save just him from German Fight Club and not give two shits about Angel?
>>
>>83442277
What's not to get? He's the son of Mystique and a guy who looks exactly like him but red from two movies ago. Presumably she abandoned him or gave him up for adoption, and he ended up in the circus.

That's the whole story, that's it.
>>
>>83442277
LONDON
>>
File: sky high.jpg (359 KB, 1000x1430) Image search: [Google]
sky high.jpg
359 KB, 1000x1430
>>83441417
It was there is DoFP
Apocalypse felt more like I was watching sky high than an x-men movie
>>
>>83442110

I thought they were going with the same route they took with X2 in that Kurt and Mystique aren't related.
>>
>>83442339
They never specifically said they aren't related in X2. They left it ambiguous.
>>
>>83442277
Nice dubs, but please leave faggot. /co/ is a blue board. That means heterosexual only
>>
>>83442017

To be fair she is on the run

The bigger question is why Beast would hide his appearance.
>>
>>83442376

I'd hide my appearance if I didn't look like Kelsey Grammer's Beast, too
>>
>>83442332
And how is that a bad thing?
>>
File: 1463029949039.jpg (780 KB, 1950x1030) Image search: [Google]
1463029949039.jpg
780 KB, 1950x1030
>>83442371
>/co/
>heterosexual only
>>
>>83442308
I was going to say that it makes no sense from a writing perspective to convolute things with an exact copy of a dynamic that they're already unfolding - But then I remembered we're talking about Singer. Whatever.

>>83442318
He couldn't remember "The red guy from the first one who had exactly the same teleportation." and didn't get how/when Mystique would have popped out a kid. Then just pulled faces when I tried to explain further. Fucking casual.

She dumped him with hyper-Catholic gypsies and at some point he joined the circus in order to stop being such a burden on them, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>83442419
>falling for the homo meme
>>
>>83442419
Why else would I get banned for posting pictures of x23 Eating jubilee'a asshole?
>>
>>83442423

Azazel doesn't have to see where he bamfs to though, does he
>>
>>83442376
Did you see the CGI shipping containers, anon? Their effects budget was clearly fucking nil this time around - I'm guessing most of it went into Kurt.
>>
>>83442110
She's a slut.gif
>>
>>83442449
I meant aesthetically. If he could understand an explanation of the bamf dimension I'd have married him by now.
>>
>>83442462

https://a.pomf.cat/wsrnpa.webm
>>
>>83442423
>didn't get how/when Mystique would have popped out a kid

Again, there's ten fucking years between each movie. This isn't esoteric trivia, they go out of their way to make the period piece look obvious.
>>
>>83442478

I could understand it

You doing anything later?
>>
>>83442495
I'm not trying to excuse his bullshit, man.
>>
>>83441417
>Does it worry /co/ that this trend might continue?
Yes, I'm deeply worried they might start to feel like X-Men movies at some point.
>>
>>83442495

yeah and Azazel, Banshee, Emma, Riptide, and Mexicangel all died within the year after First Class
>>
IF Marvel buys X-men will they go with the racial undertones? I mean, they tend to avoid this kind of stuff in their movies.
>>
>>83442513
What I'm saying is, I don't understand how his bullshit is POSSIBLE for a functioning human brain.

Like, do you have a fetish for the handicapped?
>>
>>83442405
Sky High is a comedy.
>>
>>83442526
When you're explaining characters in a movie to a casual, you don't fucking include the barely-canon extra content they put on some viral marketing website, you dumb it the fuck down for them.
>>
>>83441417
It was definitely there in DoFP. It just wasn't the same as usual.

>>83442146
Probably for the same reason that I'm not generally afraid of people who own guns? I know a person who owns a gun could kill me, and multiple other people, and some people who own guns have killed many people for seemingly no reason. But I don't believe that everyone who owns a gun wants to do that. Most mutants don't really have a reason to go apeshit and murder everyone with their powers, just as most normal people IRL don't.

If you give them a real reason, as people have done in the MU, things change.
>>
>>83442555
It's more of an action-adventure family movie.
>>
>>83442560
>Most mutants don't really have a reason to go apeshit and murder everyone with their powers
Most mutants are Beak-tier, so even if they wanted to go apeshit, good luck doing any damage with your "I have to eat bugs to survive" mutation.
>>
Well one was about changing the bad future and the other was a big dumb villain movie.

It's up to the plot if an xmovie bring back the social commentary.

How would you write a movie dealing with Genosha?
>>
>>83442581
Comedy was still in the formula.

Apocalypse was funny unintentionally for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>83442558

>barely canon extra content
>Mystique saw the autopsy reports when she was disguised as Trask in DoFP
>>
>>83442602
>How would you write a movie dealing with Genosha?

Genosha's kinda dumb.

You either have to justify a country of normals managing to enslave people way more powerful than them, or you have to tell a story about Magneto giving the fuck up on integration, taking his ball, and going home.

And if you do the first one, now you have to explain for the rest of franchise history why Rogue doesn't just wear one of those fucking collars if she wants to get laid so god damned badly. (Notice how when Beast invented a fucking cure for himself, they didn't chimp out on the implications, he STILL takes his meds in the sequel)
>>
>>83441417
no
>>
>>83442264
>God Loves Man Kills
>no metaphor

The story literally begins with mutants being shot and strung up in the style of a southern lynching.
>>
>>83442638
Do you honestly believe anyone in the audience could make out dates of death on those reports without pausing the blu-ray?

Or are you being autistic right now?

You HAVE to realize those are the only two fucking options, right? You can't possibly be stupid enough to think whatever it is point you're trying to make is god damned valid in a conversation about "how to explain things to casuals"
>>
>>83442600
Eh, only in certain runs is that 'most' mutants.

Generally mutants are around Prodigy or old Jubilee level. Nothing too spectacular or pyrotechnic, but not actively hindered by their powers either.
>>
>>83442675
Reread, post was saying GLMK was the exception.
>well
>>
>>83442675
Learn to reading comprehension. I was saying the only good xmen Story about the metaphor is God loves man kills.

All the good uncanny, new mutants, excalibur, and wolverine stories other than God love man kills have nothing to do with the metaphor
>>
>>83442110
10 years is a big window to fall for someone, get fucked, have a shame baby you give away and go back to fighting magneto's fight.

Remember in First Class when she was willing to fuck Beast, Charles and Magneto all in the span of one movie?

It's also not a stretch to have her fall for Azazel who like her has a mutation that affects his appearance.
>>
>>83442534
>Racial undertones
How? Don't you mean homosexuality?
>>
>>83442369
>They left it ambiguous.

More like it was never even implied or hinted at. Which, to me, means they're not related.
>>
>>83442638
All I saw was Azazel and Angel

Was there anyone else? I know they died and I always figured Banshee died in Nam' due to the draft but White Queen & Riptide I don't know.
>>
>>83442714
Jubilee could in theory create an atom bomb. There are stories where she blows op Houses and blows up blood vessels in people brains.

It's just they didn't want her to be a crazy killer and they under powered gen x like how synch was fucking useless.

Also there is a whole big thing about how most mutants can't pass, like beak or kurt, or can pass but only without close inspection like gambit and scott.
>>
>>83442739

First Class took place in October 1962 and Azazel died in July 1963

That's a hell of a small window to fall for and have a child with someone.
>>
>>83442459
The Doyleist reason is that Jennifer Lawrence refused to wear the makeup more than she absolutely had to
>>
>>83442802

Erik mentioned the others when he was bringing down the plane out of anger at Charles

Banshee was killed by Trask, not the war
>>
>>83442739
It's not a stretch to say raven who was dtf The whole God damn film with every guy got fucked as a one night stand or as as fuck buddy of a sleezy guy from the hell fire club. He was probably the first guy willing to Fuck her
>>
>>83442832
>That's a hell of a small window to fall for and have a child with someone.
Assuming she fell for him. They could have slept together once in November '62
>>
>>83442776
>to me

Well there you go.
>>
>>83442832
First class raven is a huge fucking whore. She probably just fucked Him for the sake of getting fucked and Kurt was an accident. That is almost a whole year for her to get fucked and get pregnant
>>
>>83442832
It's still Mystique.

Like I said she's willing to jump into bed with Erik just after sort of starting a romance with Hank and before all of that was trying to get the attention of Charles.

Hell Azazel could have simply said "you look beautiful and life is too short" in his russian accent and that would have been it.

Also how old is Kurt in Apocalypse? If the age is off then it's a minor detail they overlooked.
>>
>>83442832
Even if we accept the flimsy canonicity of Azazel's death date, In what fucking world is 9 whole months a "small window" to get knocked up?

One night is all you need, dude.
>>
>>83442854
>Banshee was killed by Trask
I thought he just collected the dead bodies and performed autopsies and studies.

That's dumb.
>>
>>83442910

>was trying to get the attention of Charles

I don't even understand this aspect of her, honestly. They literally grew up together.

Also they haven't explicitly said how old Kurt is but he can't be much older than Scott and the others
>>
>>83442817
>Jubilee could in theory create an atom bomb. There are stories where she blows op Houses and blows up blood vessels in people brains.

Like I said, old Jubilee. Or original Jubilee, I guess. Everyone gets power creeped eventually.
>>
>>83442965
Jean is 18. Kurt is 18-19.

Why is it so weird she wanted to Fuck every guy who gave her attention? Are you one of those weird as fuck Arabs who was posting the other day?
>>
Mystique is kind of a slut anyway

At least she didn't give birth to Graydon Creed in these movies
>>
>>83443164

at least her son is more likable than her
>>
White people like to pretend racism doesn't exist anymore. It offends them.
>>
>>83443174
Who Kurt? Yeah. The few scenes he had made him really endearing.
>>
>>83443190
It's not racism when you get pissed at someone for doing half the crimes
>>
>>83443211

They should have at least left the mall scenes in tact, it would have driven the "mutants are accepted in society much earlier than before" point home better to have him walking around dressed up like a furry Michael Jackson and not have anyone look at him funny
>>
>>83441417
Not really. You can play the "it's just like le gays/jews" and expect people to take it seriously only for so long

It was already getting into awkward territory with the "have you tried not being ga--- i mean, a mutant?"
Magneto's jewish origins have been explored 3-4 times already
>>
>>83443239
I want my xmen Space adventure. I wanna see wolverine claw up some brood or phoenix and cyclops fighting gladiator on the moon
>>
>>83443232
I agree. Remember when Raven gets on Charles' case about mutants not being as accepted as Charles wants to believe?

We're never shown any scene of mutants being accepted to show why he thinks that way.
>>
>>83442910
>Hell Azazel could have simply said "you look beautiful and life is too short" in his russian accent and that would have been it.
Pretty much. Why would Eric fuck insufferable blue girl, when he can have his dick surrounded by diamonds?
>>
>>83442776
She tells him not to hide what he is in X2
That sounds like a mother teaching her kid something
>>
>>83442832
>fall for and have a child with someone.
Yes, because you have to be in love with someone to have sex with them
And accidents totally never happen
What's it like having the innocents of a child?
>>
>>83443585
She merely provides an answer to why she doesn't hide among the humans using her ability

I wasn't seeing a familial connection in that scene
>>
>>83443164
>Graydon Creed
Yet
>>
>>83442646
Just make the procedure more horrifying like it is in the comics. If you don't know, in the comics they use a suit that permanently bonds to your skin and fulfills Claremont's latex fetish
>>
File: bendis x-men.png (281 KB, 610x291) Image search: [Google]
bendis x-men.png
281 KB, 610x291
>>83443322
>443322
Fox, listen to this man
>>
>>83442110
Wait, so I haven't seen the movie yet but did they address the whole Mystique being Kurt's mom thing? Because I was very concerned that they were just gonna be like "lolnaw" about it.
>>
X-Men social commentary also diminished greatly in the 2000s thanks to 9/11.
>>
Why reuse the same message you've already done?
>>
>>83449918
because thats the whole point of the x-men.
>>
>>83446444
No mention of that, Horseman of Death.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.