[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd never read Watchmen before despite hearing all about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: 1464654519402.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1464654519402.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
I'd never read Watchmen before despite hearing all about it for years, especially after the movie came out. I just finished reading it in anticipation of seeing how they'll be depicted in the DCU after all the Rebirth stuff settles down.

So, after having read Watchmen, and going back and reading the Rebirth issues, i'm having a hard time connecting the dots. Why would Batman find The Comedian's badge in his cave? While The Comedian's actions did influence the majority if not arguably all of the plot points in Watchmen, I don't see the reason why his badge, his symbol, was what was shown to introduce the Watchmen in the DCU barring the obvious real world reason of the smiley badge being the logo for all Watchmen related media. I guess it would have difficult to keep the hype up by just saying "someone else" over and over again until Dr. Manhattan was officially revealed, which leads me into my next question.

Are we supposed to come to find that Dr. Manhattan created the DCU after his final words with Ozymandias? Or did he stumble upon the DCU and meddled with it, leading to the 10 year removal?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I will download it and watch it in the next couple of days. For now, how about another Rebirth speculation thread?

Also why was Laurie so horny all the time wtf after seeing New York destroyed and its people dead she just wants to fuck.
>>
>>83435897
>barring the obvious real world reason of the smiley badge being the logo for all Watchmen related media

That's the only reason it was used because it's the recognizable symbol for the comic
>>
>>83435946
Well, that's just a cop out if you ask me. I'm not liking this "reboot but not really" shit DC is trying to pull. Not to mention them making Supes' costume worse in the process.
>>
>>83435897
Manhattan retconned the DC Universe into the New 52 just because he's a dick. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>83436119
>Well, that's just a cop out if you ask me
It's the kind of lazy shocking page that Johns knows how to make
>>
>>83435897
>Why would Batman find The Comedian's badge in his cave?

I thought, more than anything, that it was a direct reference/answer to the "who is the Joker?" question. Somehow, the Comedian plays a role in THAT plotline.

Take this page, for instance. Wally, for whatever reason, plays back the scene of the Wayne parents death. And in the panel below, you see a lightning strike hit the wall.

Keep that in mind, and then remember that the ONLY time we see Bruce in this one-shot is as he's rapt in answering "who are the three Jokers?"
>>
>>83435897
It was easily recognizable and the biggest symbol for the flawed side of the Watchmen. Everyone could look at the Comedian and see his symbol, see who he played on stage, but that was only half the character. It's representative for the dark side of all the Watchmen.
>>
>>83436493
Now, this is the second page of Bruce's reappearance in the one-shot.

Barry and Wally are finally talking, but what they're saying has no relevance to Bruce. He saw one second of Wally and then he vanished. Who cares? Back to the Joker question.

And you can see that he's *thinking* of the Joker, based on the top right panel.
>>
>>83436493
Joker being Comedians Rape Baby? I could see that happening, plus it'd be interesting to have a half Vietnamese Joker. All the SJW types would be happy. I mean... why else would he paint his face white?
>>
>>83436541
Bruce recalls the weirdness with Wally. He goes back to the letter.

Then, he looks toward where the lightning struck the wall. And, recall, this lightning came from energy sparked by the vision of his parents' death.

He sees a glint of light, takes out the thing, and...well, you know the rest.
>>
File: 1462992457319.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1462992457319.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
>>83436493
>>83436541
>>83436605

The Comedian and The Joker being similar titles is the first thing that comes to mind. What >>83436572 said is also another possibility, and would make the Joker Laurie's brother. They could also draw inspiration from the Nolan movies and give the Joker the mouth scars which the Comedian also has, which were noted to give him a smirk, and compare them in that way.

I highly doubt they'll pull some time/universe fuckery and make Blake one of the Joker's identities, that's way too stupid, even for Johns I hope.

I dunno, i'm really just throwing theories at the wall and seeing which ones slide down the slowest.
>>
>>83435946
Maybe Dr. Manhattan wants us, the reader, to know
>>
>>83436493
Oh shit the badge really did come from the lightning.
It's got a little "TNK" sound and everything
>>
>>83437264
Dös bot change That it is only of relevance for the Reader.
>>
>>83437474
What?
>>
>>83435946
Should've been Rorschach diary, a burned piece page of his diary with a word that would clue in the watchmen connection,even though the watch was good enough
>>
>>83437615
Maybe a scrap from the first that says "its true face"?
>>
>>83437615
>>83438217
or on friday a comedian died in new york (page 22)
>>
>>83435897
The directors cut of the movie has a fine adaptation of The Black Freighter.
>>
>>83435897
>I haven't seen the movie yet, but I will download it and watch it in the next couple of days.

You will be disappointed.

>why was Laurie so horny all the time wtf after seeing New York destroyed and its people dead she just wants to fuck.

Instinct. Birth rates shoot up after wars, too.
>>
>>83436119
>I'm not liking this "reboot but not really" shit DC is trying to pull.

If there are people who do like it, I haven't seen any.

>>83437207

>TFW Doctor Manhattan starts talking to the reader directly

>>83437615

>Batman standing in front of the mirror
"This city fears me. I have seen its true face. Fuck, this is awesome."
>>
>>83435897
>Why was Laurie so horny
It reminded her how fragile human life was, so she decided to live it up and go all "carpe diem".
>>
>>83436572
Rape? He didn't rape that vietnamese chick, he just banged her and when she wanted to talk that he's gotten her pregnant he shot her.
>>
File: blakejfk.jpg (67 KB, 273x461) Image search: [Google]
blakejfk.jpg
67 KB, 273x461
>>83439174

That scene in the movie was so... feeble compared to how it was portrayed in the book.

Morgan's delivery was as flat as a pancake.

Never mind how they pussied out on the scar. They replaced a whole person with motion capture CGI, but a facial scar is too much. Fuck that.
>>
>>83435897
Dr. Manhattan is The Empty Hand.
>>
>>83436493
The Comedian killed the Waynes?
>>
>>83440269

...The sad thing is that that is not even impossible. They could opt for that and that deeply depresses me.
>>
>>83440228

I wonder how they're going to play this, though. Is the Watchmen universe part of the multiverse? Is it supposed to be like a pre-Flashpoint Earth-4?

And what's Doctor Manhattan's motivation, anyway? He was aloof, not a sadistic dickhead.
>>
>>83438782
I think the movie was great especially the music
>>
>>83440745

The music was fine. Philip Glass for Doctor Manhattan's story was inspired.

But as a whole, the movie falls short of the comic, not just because of what they omitted, but also because of how stilted the acting was.
>>
File: mashup.jpg (113 KB, 592x1200) Image search: [Google]
mashup.jpg
113 KB, 592x1200
>Trying to make sense of sales-boosting gimmicky crap

Just don't, OP. And top giving DC money
>>
>>83441204
this makes no sense
original things could be good or trash. people won't be excited for it at first. at most they will have an interest to pick it up.
while the crossover of two popular things will of course draw attention and hype since if something is popular its already proven to be good and interesting to a large number of people.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.