[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What caused this show to gain so much popularity when it first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: FinnFrown.png (68 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
FinnFrown.png
68 KB, 640x359
What caused this show to gain so much popularity when it first aired? Was it just something "new" for the West? Do you think it deserved the praise at some point?
>>
File: 1464648155898.png (124 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1464648155898.png
124 KB, 325x325
>>83427595
Dunno. I remember I was 13 when it first came out. Honestly k came for the waifus, stayed for the humor and action, left because of the surreal
>>
I was hoping no one would reply to this and let it die, but since someone already did, I'm going to take the opportunity and say STOP MAKING THESE THREADS
>>
2 reasons.
First reason was it came out during CN's dark ages when the network started replacing cartoons with godawful reality tv shows and sitcoms.

Second is muh lore.
>>
File: 1464647342023.png (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464647342023.png
270 KB, 1280x720
>>83427595
>Was it just something "new" for the West?
ding ding ding

now the kind of cutesy art style/humor is so damn overused that we're waiting for the show that'll pop the simplistic bubble which i believe is pic related
>>
>>83427595
It was fun.
>>
>>83427742
Exactly
>>
>>83427742
Seconding this. This guy is cancer. He posted the same thread four times tonight.
>>
File: 1464659226285.png (441 KB, 530x394) Image search: [Google]
1464659226285.png
441 KB, 530x394
>>83427742
Alright nigger, what would you consider a quality thread? Loud house waifu threads? Zootopia furries? You sicken me.
>>
>>83427595
It had a weird nostalgic feel that adult could relate to because of the simple artstyle and how trippy and focused on adult humor it could get. It was also fucking with most cliches in cartoons. The best exemple would be tree trunk:they spend the whole episode helping tree trunk to find and apple and when she bites it,shes dies and then comeback in another season. the other exemple would be magic man: finn has been turned into a foot by magic man disguised as a woman that finn was too selfish to help.magic man wants finn to learn a lesson from it. In the end there was no lesson to learn other than magic man being a total jerk. I miss this show.
>>
>>83427595
Are you done making these threads? Are you done? Are you finished?
>>
>>83427595
simple art+outsourcing to korea for cheap+merchandising=$$$
>>
File: Cgwptw0UoAAQDt3.jpg (45 KB, 492x480) Image search: [Google]
Cgwptw0UoAAQDt3.jpg
45 KB, 492x480
>>83427877
>>
I never liked Adventure Time because I found the writing to be really annoying and a total turnoff. I think it's mostly the way the characters talk.

I also hate how the noodle-limb thing took off in popularity and now it's almost a standard for anything 2D past 2010 for western animation
>>
>>83427595
It's because the pilot was circulating the internet for a while
>>
>>83427595
you watched it? season 1 is hilarious, season 2 is mostly hilarious. fun characters. great music.

and then there's the neverending waifu parade.
>>
>>83427756
*shudder*
Please don't remind me of those times
>>
>>83428759
Waifus are really more for the decerning adult fan, not CN's main demo.

>>83427595
The real reason was that it was both popular and marketable. It was also popular with young adults which translates to more good internet press. When I say marketable, I mean they could really sell out and make toys, lunchboxes, games. It was (and still is) a huge thing. That's why CN jumped on it and made Finn and Jake mascots. $$$
>>
>>83428937
AT has a large young female audience, so I think they appreciate the waifus in a different way. FP was super duper popular. Too bad they trashed that, coulda been ratings forever.
>>
>>83429051
What's FP?
>>
>>83427756
Don't forget Problem Solverz!
>>
>>83429051
>Burning Low gets the highest ratings the show ever had or ever will have
>The writers decide that the best way to capitalize off this is to have Finn ruin his relationship because he had to jerk off then have Flame Princess disappear for years
the fucking madmen
>>
>>83428169
>I think it's mostly the way the characters talk.

It's early SJW talk, where they exchange swear-words and shit.
>>
>>83427756
>"when it first aired"
>lore
There was no serious lore until season 4 thereabouts when the writers started to get desperate. The show initially got popular largely due to simply being great.
>>
>>83428169
>I think it's mostly the way the characters talk.
This. The dialogue felt like it was trying really hard to sound natural but because of that sounded even more awkward and unnatural.

>I also hate how the noodle-limb thing took off in popularity and now it's almost a standard for anything 2D past 2010 for western animation
This is also annoying, although it's not the show's fault, it's more of a lack of creativity and ambition on the animators part.
>>
>>83428937
>games
Oh god remember explore the dungeon because I don't know

It could have been so good
>>
>>83429194
I like the swear word thing personally, because fake swear words sound dirtier. if you can't say god, glob is better than golly gosh. some of the old dialogue sounds surprisingly natural even though it's full of made up words.
>>
>>83429101
Fire princess
>>
>>83429287
Some words like sexy sneaked past tge censors too
>>
>>83429101
Finn's "girlfriend" from long ago.
>>
>>83429194
How the fuck is that SJW talk?
The made up sweat words let the characters psuedo curse so that the dialogue flowed better and it added character to the world.
Everyone so obsessed with social drama, dammit.
>>
>>83429152
I think is that's only Rebecca Sugar could pull it off. The rest of the writers hated FP and nothing could make them embrace the romance arc Sugar wanted to do with Finn and his gf. Real men can write love stories, but these guys want nothing but anti-love stories.
>>
>>83429264
They all could have been good! Adventure time is rife with game potential. No one seems to have been serious about making a good one though.
>>
>>83429573
You'd figure they would at least try to follow what Suga set up rather than take it in an entirely different retarded direction like that.

I feel like it's another example of AT trying to break usual storytelling conventions and shit but it just tanks story arcs because they always make the dumbest decisions.
>>
>>83429664
The MO is to make things as no-strings-attached as possible. Then they go
>bet you didn't expect that!
to distract us from how they just took the easy way out.

Finn ruined his relationship to make it end faster, so that's convenient. But the writers still expect praise for their super cool writing because we never would've expected Finn to do such a terrible thing.

The way this show weasels around all the time, never taking responsibility for anything it starts, is disgusting.
>>
>>83429351
Sexy seems to be a completely passable word for CN shows now. I bet they have some arcane rules about when and how you can use it.
>>
>>83430296
> yet they remove ms Sara bellum from ppg for being too "sexy"
>>
>>83429225
The dialouge sounds like 12-year olds trying to start screenwriting their edgy cartoon with meme words like, 'Bargtacilar!'
>>
File: image.png (439 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
439 KB, 1136x640
>>83427595
Are you really gonna make the same thread I made to shitpost
>>
>>83427836
OP please calm down
>>
Early Adventure Time was pretty good. It had some solid humor.
>>
>>83429351
I remember my jaw dropping when they said pervert in a earlier episode
>>
>>83433352
i liked the ghost dude who picked up balls with his butt cheeks.
>>
>>83429101
Exactly
>>
>>83427802
Thirding it. Get this cancer off my board.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.