[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>comics and cartoons >mediums where the only limitations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 460x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 460x320
>comics and cartoons
>mediums where the only limitations are imagination
>Invariably, all aliens are just humans with wrinkles or weird colored skin

CUT THIS SHIT OUT!!
>>
>>83426111
>comics and cartoons
try actually reading or watching some time
>>
>>83426163
Why?
>>
>>83426326
because your statement is false
>>
Sometimes things are depicted in a way that makes them relatable or easy to comprehend for the audience. Aliens appearing humanoid, for example.
>>
>>83426111

The main limitation in any media is the market. Movies will always have more demanding audiences than comics which are so firmly rooted in traditions, franchises and whims from its ever aging, shrinking demographic. For them, green skinned humans is nostalgic.
>>
File: Alien Races.jpg (165 KB, 605x933) Image search: [Google]
Alien Races.jpg
165 KB, 605x933
Looking at Marvel aliens, maybe half are just funny colored humans.

>>83426111
I guess we're just so damn perfect that any other advanced society is bound to look similar.
>>
>>83426111
In Alan Moore's Swamp Thing he gets raped by a sentient biomechanical planetoid.
>>
File: Jazinda.jpg (113 KB, 351x442) Image search: [Google]
Jazinda.jpg
113 KB, 351x442
Fuck you, I'm going to keep drawing my aliens and monsters as slightly odd sexy women and there's nothing you can do to stop it!
>>
>>83426919

Humans arent sexy!

Xenomorphs are sexy!
>>
It makes sense, really.

Consider if your dog had a human brain. With his paws and teeth as his only tools to manipulate things, with his relatively inflexible body, and with his body's cooling methods that are made more for short bursts than long labor, could he really put that brain power to good use in creating things? I don't think that making dogs smarter would lead to them ultimately giving a big fuck you to the food chain.

If we meet alien species who have acquired something that can be called civilization, they'll probably be similar to us in a lot of ways.

Also, as other anons pointed out, it makes them more relatable. When it comes to weird side characters or creatures that are supposed to be off-putting, there's a much greater chance that they won't be humanoid.
>>
>>83426948
Still too humanoid.
>>
>>83426652
Isn't Marvel's explination as to why so many ayy lmaos look human is because God made them that way?
>>
But aliens are just going to look like variations of humans. Otherwise they wouldn't advance to a survivable degree.
>>
>>83426982
There are plenty of ways to address all those problems that don't require a humanoid form, however. It just takes a little bit of imagination.
>>
>>83427094
Incorrect.
>>
>>83427422

Even then, humanoid bodies can be way more diverse than the standard 6 feet tall three heads wide person.
>>
convergent evolution
humanoid aliens are more likely than you think
>>
>>83426111
While I agree it's dumb and boring that this happens so much I get why it's done. It's way harder to relate to some odd looking monstrosity than it is to relate to something that looks like us but with some slight differences.
>>
>>83427083
Celestials.
>>
The real question is... would you fuck an alien?
>>
>>83426111
It's usually for relatability. The further a character is from a humanoid appearance, the less likely the audience is able to identify and empathize with them.

Most people are not into really alien aliens.
>>
http://www.popsci.com/controversy-still-brewing-over-alien-megastructure-star

Since aliens are real, what do you think they look like?
>>
>>83427481
I doubt evolution is THAT convergent.
>>
Aliens are gay.
>>
>>83428445

I feel like Mass Effect has had the best variation of "believable" alien species. Asari are very human like but the Turians and Salarians are great
>>
>>83428256
>It's usually for relatability.
This.

I've read stories where aliens have hive-minds, where they have no concepts of privacy or personal belongings, where they speak in matrices, where they have uninterrupted minds back to their ancestors, where they were never living, and where they had no physical bodies. Most of these aliens are indecipherable, with most of the books either spending huge portions of text just getting an idea of why they might act in a particular manner, or leaving most of what they do misunderstood. For a comic or a cartoon? Time and space are at a premium. You can spend entire chapters of books around detailing an alien concept, but you can't exactly spend two issues of a comic doing the same... even if 15 pages of a comic was equivalent to a chapter in a book. "Show, not tell" unfortunately prevents an author from giving an in-depth description of something, and in the case where it is something intentionally vague and difficult to understand, just showing can leave most of the concept under the water, so to speak.

It is far easier to have the aliens be human-ish, at least in a visual medium. People can quickly identify the needs of a human and the emotions of a human at a glance, conveying much critical information in a single image and allowing more time to be devoted to other aspects. You would literally be unable to do the same to a non-human creature with a non-human face.
>>
>>83426111
Okay.
>>
>>83426111
translation: the only comics and cartoons I know of are from Cracked articles
>>
>>83430508
Rick and amazing try is the exception that proves the rule.
>>
>>83430871
Your gay.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.