[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sick of pretending. Can we all please just go back to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: millarmark.png (38 KB, 577x227) Image search: [Google]
millarmark.png
38 KB, 577x227
I'm sick of pretending. Can we all please just go back to acknowledging that Mark Millar is good? At least by present standards
>>
I haven't followed him in a while, but Millar is Brexit? I thought he was all for Scottish independence?
>>
>>83423091
That's probably why

Brexit could lead to a new Scottish referendum since the Scottish public are overwhelmingly pro-remain
>>
>>83422725
I've always said he was good. Anyone who says otherwise is just being contrarian.

>Marvel Knights Spider-Man
>His run on Authority
>Ultimates Volume 1-2
>Ultimate Avengers (it was a wild ride)
>Superior
>Nemesis
>Red Son
>Supercrooks
I enjoyed the lot of them. He's one of the few writers who can write convincing dialog and he's great at peppering in character moments in his stories. I consider the gratuitious edge just icing on the goddamn cake.
>>
>>83423489
Cunning, very cunning. Millar playing the long game I see.
>>
>>83423489
>pakistanis and niggers want gibs
>all of them move to scotland and vote "leave" upon hearing that scotland would rejoin the EU upon independence
>scotland makes england great again and turns back into the shithole it deserves to be

Fuck the jocks
>>
>>83423718
>His run on Authority
Edgy garbage.
>Ultimates Volume 1-2
Edgy garbage with bad dialogues and ultra decompression, carried by Hitch's art alone.
>Nemesis
Garbage
>Red Son
Morrison gave the idea, Morrison gave the ending as well.
>>
>>83422725

Mark Millar is a cynical edgy-for-the-sake-of-edgy piece of shit who's only notable for his ability to get great artists for his shitty scripts. Artists that he doesn't pay.
>>
>>83423718
>I enjoyed the lot of them

Only two of the things you listed are even tolerable to read.

Millar is the sort of writer that if you told him that he can write anything he wants as long as it's not edgy bullshit, he wouldn't be able to come up with anything.
>>
>>83424881
Someone obviously never read his run on Superman Adventures. He's fucking fantastic at writing all ages stories.
>>
>>83423718

Am I the only person who didn't like the ending of Red Son, superman literally drops his entire character and convictions in 2 pages and goes "well bye then", felt really cheap.
>>
>>83425142
While I personally didn't have an issue with it, it does follow the Millar trend of just wrapping his plots up a little too quickly and cleanly in some cases.
>>
When I read Millar's work, for me it just feels... empty. Almost like he really doesn't really enjoy what he is doing and thus doesn't work too hard to elevate it off the page it is printed on.

It isn't the "edginess" that is often present that turns me off- if done with a wink, a smile, and a healthy dose of irony I can even enjoy that sort of thing. But there never seems to be any smiling from Millar- he just seems to be a mostly miserable man who mostly makes miserable comics.
>>
>>83423718
>Putting Nemesis as something to be proud of....
He rigged your vagina too, ennit?
>>
>>83425924
I've always seen the 'emptiness' as being McNiven's art

I can see what you mean though, even with Kick-Ass there isn't a lot of warmth

>>83424803
I get that he's edgy, but I don't think that detracts from his other strengths. Civil War, Wanted and Ultimates were all great at reflecting their time. I think a lot of the flack /co/ gives them is because we're no longer in that time when edginess is what people want to make a comic bite. Now 'fun' is the 'edgy' of the present.
>>
>>83422725
RIGGED HER UTERUS FOR DETONATION

>>
I'll admit I always thought kick ass was garbage, but that was mainly due to my absolute hatred of Romita Jr.
>>
>>83426687
if anything I'm glad Nemesis exists just because it means that phrase has officially been printed

not particularly fun fact: when I first got into comics I bought Nemesis and then my uncle bought it for me later as a Christmas gift, so I now have double the uterus and double the detonations
>>
>>83426632
>Civil War
>great at reflecting their time
it was coming out around the same time as 52, Morrison Batman, and All-Star Superman, to give you a frame of reference
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.