[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not a company wars thread but why are DC's black heroes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13
File: black1.jpg (3 MB, 3972x3056) Image search: [Google]
black1.jpg
3 MB, 3972x3056
Not a company wars thread but why are DC's black heroes lame compared to Marvel's?

I like Steel but that's about it
>>
even Bloodwynd is better than those losers
>>
DC has Mr. Terrific and John Stewart.

Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>83422152
Marvel pushed pretty hard to have black characters starting in the '60s, and in the '70s they tried to get in on the blaxploitation craze with Luke Cage.

DC took longer to get in on that, so they have fewer black characters who go back a long time. Luke, Sam, Storm were all created in the '70s and benefit from seniority.
>>
>>83422288
>DC has Mr. Terrific and John Stewart.
Mr terrific was good for like 2 seconds

John Stewart is boring and has no good comics
>>
Amanda Waller > Every black hero in Marvel
>>
File: 4250002-death.jpg (2 MB, 1973x2095) Image search: [Google]
4250002-death.jpg
2 MB, 1973x2095
steel, cyborg, black lightning, mr terrific, john stewart, papa midnite, steel, batwing, firestorm, vixen, aqualad, static shock, bronze tiger, icon, hardware,
>>
Black Lightning is more of a hero than any of them.

>puts black in his name because he's proud of it
>has a dayjob as a fucking teacher
>>
>>83422404
Plus Black Lightning had the guts to tell the truth about the JLA while Luke kept his mouth shut about those honky Avengers.
>>
>>83422404
God the 'logo in dialogue thing' is so fucking tacky
>>
>>83422404
Who are any of those people besides Cyborg?
>>
>>83422404
Milestone characters don't count.
Bronze Tiger is goat but hasn't done shit since the 80's ended.
Mr. Terrific hasn't been good since Checkmate
Steel hasn't been good since 52.
John Stewart was never good outside the JLA cartoon.
Black Lightning was never good at all.
Batwing was never good.
Aqualad has no comics. Young Justice cartoon doesn't count.
Papa Midnite is Vertigo. Try again when they use him in the new Constantine series.
Cyborg... sure. Same with Firestorm and Vixen.

I'll give you those three. And BP, Storm, or even Blue Marvel wipes the floor with all of them and he's not even a decade old yet.
>>
File: black halo.jpg (1 MB, 1280x3816) Image search: [Google]
black halo.jpg
1 MB, 1280x3816
DC also has Black Halo.
>>
>>83422671
>Black Lightning was never good at all.
Black Lightning has been consistently good.
And Aqualad does have comics now.
>Papa Midnite is Vertigo. Try again when they use him in the new Constantine series.
They already did, he's DC now.

You're ignorant of the comics you talk about, and your opinions are shit. Black Panther is just a ripoff of Batman and Marvel of Superman.
>>
>>83422671
>Milestone characters don't count.
They've been a part of DC for years.
>Bronze Tiger is goat but hasn't done shit since the 80's ended.
Except Suicide Squad and Deathstroke and Green Arrow, but what would you know?
>Mr. Terrific hasn't been good since Checkmate
Final Crisis
>Steel hasn't been good since 52.
He's been good, just hasn't showed up much.
>John Stewart was never good outside the JLA cartoon.
Untrue, but you wouldn't know since you don't read comics. Enjoy your cartoons, manchild.
>Black Lightning was never good at all.
Solid character his entire career.
>Batwing was never good.
Really great character, actually.
>>
I really liked Kid Quantum II, too bad that she's (probably) dead and/or lost in the multiverse.
>>
>>83422742
Black Panther has been like that since 1966 before batman was doing the preptime shit casual
>>
>>83422742
Everybody's a ripoff, it doesn't really have much to do with anything.

But Black Panther has that halo around him because he's from the Lee-Kirby FF and the Silver Age Avengers and the early Bronze Age crazy socially-conscious solo.

The older these characters are, the more of a nostalgic halo they have around them, and Marvel's black characters benefit from mostly being older than DC's. John Stewart benefits a lot from having been introduced relatively early.
>>
>>83422671
Steel was good in Pak's Action comics
>>
File: Static Shock.jpg (56 KB, 300x308) Image search: [Google]
Static Shock.jpg
56 KB, 300x308
DC has Static.
>>
>>83422819
>implying nostalgiawankery means anything other than old people and hipsters like it more
>>
>>83422742
Change my opinions, then.

>Black Lightning has been consistently good.
What are some good Black Lightning comics? I've read the Tony Isabella 70's run, the Outsiders, and the Meltzer/McDuffie JLA.

>And Aqualad does have comics now.
Blaqualad was a minor character in Brightest Day, and...? That one panel in Rebirth?

>They already did, he's DC now.
I'm totally wrong on this one. I blocked out the Ray Fawkes book because of how awful it was. My bad.
>>
>>83422152

that image is from a preview right?
>>
>>83422835
The run where he lost all shades of his pre-flashpoint personality and hooked up with Lana Lang? Have you ever read a Steel book before that run?
>>
>>83422152
Why is Blue Marvel not in there? Have they stopped trying to make us care about him?
>>
>>83422801
Checkmate means the entire Rucka/Trauttman body of work. Don't be pedantic.
>>
Black Capes Thread?

Was Luke's 90's series any good?
>>
>>83423001
>hooked up with Lana Lang
Delete this
>>
>>83422803
Maybe she'll be in the new Legion.

I've got my fingers crossed for XS and Snekie.
>>
>>83422671
>Milestone characters don't count.
a true shame that it looks like that's what DC stands for nowdays.
>>
>>83423000
Yep. Captain Falcon's next issue.
>>
>>83422903
The only people who read or write superhero comics are nostalgiawankers, so yes.
>>
>>83423068
I'm kind of surprised she hasn't shown up more recently since she'd fit right into the "strong black independent womyn" thing. Except she's actually a cool character in her own right.

But yeah, I'm hoping for some reappearances too. Particularly XS, Quantum and Lyle.
>>
>>83422152
Storm > John Stewart > Static > Black Phanter > Who gives a shit
>>
>>83423032
It's really only Ewing who cares about him.
>>
>>83423152
That sort of attitude only took off relatively recently, since after Retroboot.

>>83423175
It's been a LONG time since Storm was any good.
Has anything good or interesting been done with her since Claremont's original run?
>>
>>83422152

Cyborg alone > every lame in this picture

or Mister Terrific
or Black Lightning
>>
>>83423046
Not as good as his 70's series.
>>
>>83422384
This
>>
>>83422384

This.

ONE black female is better than anything is that picture.
>>
>>83422671
African Batwing was goat
>>
File: 2187442-vix01.jpg (63 KB, 508x640) Image search: [Google]
2187442-vix01.jpg
63 KB, 508x640
Vixen .. unnnnnnfff
>>
>>83423256
>Cyborg

Name one good Cyborg book
>>
>>83423222
Oh good, keep that cancer character with that cancer writer.
>>
>>83423232
No, but that's true of a lot of X-Men characters. They survive on ClareNostalgia.
>>
File: 3852789-img_0154.png (537 KB, 540x748) Image search: [Google]
3852789-img_0154.png
537 KB, 540x748
Hi.
>>
>>83423222
I like him.
Black DILF Science-Superman is a great concept no matter how you spin it, and I've been liking him in Ultimates.
>>
>>83422152
Because DC is focused about their existing original heroes who are primarily white. Marvel is focused on the main 'cast' of heroes, but caved in due to demands for pandering to make race and gender swap multiple heroes.

Also Marvel has a big history of being really racially insensitive by having things like "All of our black heroes know each other and routinely meet up to discuss their blackness and overcoming slavery and shit... Black Panther is African so he wouldn't care? Well in this comic he does!" or "Suddenly are two biggest named black characters are going to get married! Wait, what do you mean they never met?!?! Retcon so that Black Panther took Storm's virginity when she was 13!"... Seriously, it might seem like they are better, but remember that Marvel is force feeding you all of their 'main' black heroes right down your throat at high speed.

I liked that Miles wasn't in that meeting, because I feel like he was the one good thing to come out of all the race and gender swapping.
>>
>>83423478
>end up liking her more than the pre-reboot version
>they're now making her more like the pre-reboot version
Damn

>>83423394
I suppose being Marvel's last consistently good writer could be seen as cancerous.
Assuming one was visiting from Opposite Land.
>>
>>83422152
Are you talking about currently or overall.

Overall DC had/has some great black characters, currently they aren't used for shit. And I'm not even sure that's DC's fault because to a lesser degree I see the same thing in Marvel and that's the audience seems to get more excited for new characters no matter how mediocre they turn out, Blackwashed (is that the term) characters no matter how little since they make, and overall legacy characters that have the push of some already popular character.

It's really annoying that DC has Milestone and they do shit with it, The black characters they do have, who are pretty interesting, are fucking almost always used in a background or in an assistant capacity.
>>
hi nobody knows I exist cause teen titans is shit
>>
>>83422462

Teacher here, where the fuck does he find enough time to be a superhero on the side.

I'm at school for like eleven hours of the day and then barely have enough energy to cook and go to the gym afterwards.
>>
>>83423580
He's never written a good Marvel book so...
>>
DC has Amanda Waller and Lucius Fox.
>>
>>83423758
Won't she be in regular Titans now? Or is that some other character?
>>
>>83423847
It's Damien, Beast Boy, Starfire, Raven, Black Wally, and I think an unknown sixth member.

I doubt it'll be her.
>>
>>83423847
You're thinking of Bumblebee
>>
>>83423811
Waller is a better character than about half of any arbitrary group of characters, black or otherwise. You tape Vixen and Tiger to her, and that's just icing.
>>
>>83423931
Oh, right.
>>
File: green_arrow_black_canary_001.jpg (62 KB, 652x592) Image search: [Google]
green_arrow_black_canary_001.jpg
62 KB, 652x592
Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?
...oh.
>>
>>83422152
DC's older. Marvel got its start at a time you could have black folk in things, or nearly
>>
The sad thing is that Marvel is racist as fuck but they have peeps like Storm and Blade.

Try being a black male mutant fan looking for representation. It's not pretty at all.

Bishop. Never forget.
>>
>>83424177
Go away Conner. This thread is for blacks.
>>
>>83424576
But you've got such classics like Synch, Shola Inkosi, Gentle, and Gateway!
True mutant legends
>>
File: black-vulcan.gif (902 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
black-vulcan.gif
902 KB, 500x375
>>83422869
DC has cornered the market on electric Negros.
>>
>>83425417
In my pants.
>>
>>83425417
I think that as a running gag in comics, all black superheroes should have some form of electricity based powers.
>>
>>83425517
It's sort of like Jean Grey dying meme. It doesn't really happen as much as people imply but we've made a joke of it so we act like it constantly happens.
>>
File: Blood_Syndicate-01-00-FC.jpg (268 KB, 972x1523) Image search: [Google]
Blood_Syndicate-01-00-FC.jpg
268 KB, 972x1523
Because Milestone never got the respect it deserved after it was supposedly integrated into the mainline DC universe.
>>
>>83422506
I miss when all black characters talked in jive.
>>
File: Cage.jpg (39 KB, 400x405) Image search: [Google]
Cage.jpg
39 KB, 400x405
>>83425769
>>
>>83425769
I'm pretty sure Black Lightning only did it while in costume, as part of the disguise.
>>
>>83425680
If Jim Lee was dead and McDuffie was alive things would be different around here.
>>
>>83425769
I hated that shit
>>
>>83422384
I didn't realize this was true until now.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.