[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mort
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9
Discuss: Do you think Disney should take another look at Mort? I think the current creative team is in more likely to do it justice since the last time they were in talks.
>>
>>83412386
Please just let Terry rest in peace.
>>
>>83412386
Do you want Ysabell as a Disney princess?
Because that's how you get Ysabell as a Disney princess.
>>
No one should touch Discworld leave it be.
>>
>>83412433
He was willing to let them do it before, but this must of been during Disneys dipshit era because they asked him if they could tone down the death angle.
>>
>>83412435
Fuck you, now I want Susan singing with the Death of Rats and the Raven.

>>83412475
Exactly the problem.
>>
>>83412483
Quoth the raven, his name is Quoth
>>
>>83412483
I'm saying that they might be better able to tackle the themes of death and dying now.
>>
Yes because "There is no justice, only me" is a perfect Disney message.
>>
They should adapt Watch books. Carrot is just a male Disney Princess anyways.
>>
>>83412534
More Don Bluthy now that I think of it.
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783 KB, 802x523) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783 KB, 802x523
>>83412475
>tone down the death angle.
>>
>>83412502
I know, but Susan oftentimes just calls them the Rat and the Raven.

>>83412506
See >>83412534

>>83412561
I can see that. Carrot is a total qt anyway. God I want so many Discworld books adapted but I'm afraid they'd all suck.
>>
File: carrot_kidby.jpg (17 KB, 200x361) Image search: [Google]
carrot_kidby.jpg
17 KB, 200x361
>>83412561
yES
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
16 KB, 480x360
What did you guys think of the Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters animated adaptations?
>>
>>83414227
Haven't seen them, are they good? I've just seem Hogfather and Going Postal.
>>
>>83412561
That reminds me, they were making a TV series based around the Watch with original stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watch_%28TV_series%29
Not sure if want.
>>
>>83412386
IF they give it the care it needs then sure.
That said it be hard to condense in 2.5 hours
It be a challenge but the book could be split in two, it has at least two points that you could end it and pick it up in a second film.
funny typing that last bit I'm now seeing speckles in my eyes and my mouth has a funny metal taste.
>>
>>83414281
I liked them
>>
>>83414849
>written by Rhianna Pratchett
No.
>>
>>83415556
Has she ever written anything of substance? Genuinely asking.
>>
File: header.jpg (32 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
32 KB, 460x215
>>83415613
Her best "work" was she wrote the story to the Overlord game.
the narrative plot twist was all the heroes beat and slayed all the evil in the land short of one Overlord in his tower of solitude. They became bored and directly strike against the the Overlord, killing him and left one of the heroes to die. The Overlord's spirit posses the Hero wizard and the minions of the Tower groom the dead knight to be the next Overlord(who you play as). You discover that all the heroes became horrible people feeding their vices and you slay them all. Depending on your actions you have either brought a true peace to the land or made hell on earth

It was a so/so story.
>>
File: 1433798533149.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1433798533149.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
>>83415978
>video game writers
Poor PTerry
>>
>>83412386
>Disney
No, thank you.
>>
>>83412612

According to Pratchett, Disney didn't want Death to be one of the main protags, let alone be the heroic and genuinely good guy he is in the books. Instead, Death would be the villain in Disney's version.
>>
>>83417089
Ideally, if there was a new Disney Discworld movie, Death would be one of the good guys, the themes would be about the acceptance and importance of death, and the villain would be New Death.

Make it a blend of Reaper Man and Mort. Have Mort take over as Death while Death lives as a human for a while. Mort's reluctance to do the job gives rise to New Death.
>>
>>83412561

The Watch TV series is apparently happening.

Last I heard it had some pythons working on it.
>>
>>83417089
It's so terrible, but I can believe it
>>
After that shitty Color of Music movie I don't anyone touching any of the books.
>>
>>83418736
*Magic
>>
>>83412475
Actually, both Pratchett and Disney were fine with a Disney-made Mort movie (this apparently was not the time when a dumbass executive asked to tone down the death angle). Apparently, the reason it fell through is because Disney ONLY wanted to make a movie out of Mort, but Pratchett wanted to sell the movie rights to the whole Discworld series (which was too expensive for Disney to justify, seeing as, again, they only wanted to make a movie out of Mort).
>>
Going Postal was actually pretty decent as far as the movies went

Gilt was suitably fabulous, and Moist was pretty cool. Charles Dance is a 10/10 vetinari, and they had enough charm that I'd consider them good adaptations
>>
>>83415515
I only liked the part where the witches use laundry items to summon a demon, it was the best adapted gag from Wyrd Sisters .
>>
File: mort.png (1 MB, 1411x655) Image search: [Google]
mort.png
1 MB, 1411x655
>>
>>83418736
It's such a shame. I'd love for a good animated adaptation, but that kind of matur-ish animation doesn't really exist atm
>>
>>83418736

Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are when Pratchett was still finding his feet and are two of the weaker books.

The 2 part movie was also terrible, which is a shame as The Hogfather was decent and Going Postal was really good.

Try reading one of the starter or stand alone books.

Small Gods or Mort and both good for people starting Discworld.
>>
>>83419009
Pyramids was awesome.
>>
Apparently the Wee Free Men is back on.

Got financial backing and they were writing a script for it.

Sony wanted to do a Borrowers with it and rape over the source material which is why the first attempt fell through.
>>
File: 1409493345249.jpg (14 KB, 300x317) Image search: [Google]
1409493345249.jpg
14 KB, 300x317
>>83418956
>Ron is Mort
Goddammit.
>>
>>83419067

Yep, Pyramids is a great starter book too. Especially fun if you know a reasonable amount about Egyptian Mythology.
>>
>>83419067
Small Gods is my favorite Pratchett book ever

I reread it when he died and was fucking blown away at how clever it was
Getting an education put the entire thing into a whole new light when you start to notice everything
>>
>>83419166
Yeah, and the whole Pyramid energy thing was pretty clever. Dios is one of my favourite characters ever.
>>
>>83419009
Small Gods is one of my favorite books.
>Inb4 fedoralord
>>
>Small Gods
>The Night Watch
>Reaper Man

Best 3 books tbqh
>>
>>83419383
About to read Reaper Man, I've only read Mort and Guards! That's good to know.
>>
>>83419383
What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the Reaper Man?

fucking chills down my spine
>>
>>83419441
There are so many good ones it's hard to go wrong. Soul Music, Thief of Time, The Truth, Going Postal, Thud!, Men At Arms, Hogfather are all top tier ones as well
>>
>>83419511
>Thud!
My black person
Everybody says Night Watch is the best discworld novel, but I'm partial to that one.
>>
>>83419236
>>83419313

It's actually generally a pro-religion book overall it just has a strong message about the dangers of a religious organisation becoming more powerful/influential than the religion itself.

I love lots of the little details like the religion stating that the planet is round and the philosophers saying that's ridiculous and that that the planet is clearly carried on the back of a giant turtle.
>>
>>83419552
I will admit I prefer Night Watch though, because it hits like a brick when Vimes is thinking about all his friends who die
>>
>>83419552

Thud was probably when Pratchett became a bit too attatched to Vimes as a character and started making him superhuman rather than someone who fumbled his way through things.
>>
I just love how much effort went into to making a consistent world for the books. It's one of the best things when you're re-reading to notice a throw away line or character showing up again.
>>
>>83419563
>Massive religious empire goes on a conquest spree
>Gets stopped by a tiny democracy known for its philosophers
>Including the famous 'giant mirror redirecting sunlight to burn ships'

Pratchett took the fucking persian/greek wars and managed to hide that into a fucking subtext in his book
>>
>>83419511

The Thief of Time probably has my favourite ending of his books.

It was also a good ending for Susan's storyline as a whole as it was the last book of her.
>>
>>83419690
>tfw YES
>>
>>83419474
>not in caps
YOU DISGUST ME.
>>
>>83419682

“Slave is an Ephebian word. In Om we have no word for slave,” said Vorbis.

“So I understand,” said the Tyrant. “I imagine that fish have no word for water.”

Damn Pratchett's works have some amazing quotes
>>
I love the Ephebe part of Pyramids.
"Oh a bloody big wooden horse, they must think we were born yesterday, the nerve of some people, set fire to it"
>>
File: crying-waterfalls.gif (278 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
crying-waterfalls.gif
278 KB, 450x338
>Reading The Shepherd's Crown
>>
>>83419859
I haven't yet, is it good? Snuff was kinda meh so I haven't read the latest two
>>
>>83419895
If by good you mean mind numbingly sad, then yes.

Snuff was fucking awful.
>>
>>83419895

I stopped reading after Snuff too. It was so clearly a ghost written book. Even something as simple as a character casually using a swear world that Pratchett had never used was enough to take me out of it completely.
>>
>>83419895
Raising steam was meh
The Shepherd's crown was Ok
The problem is that Pratchett was too benevolent to his characters in his last books, you can feel nothing bad is going to happen to them.
>>
>>83419895
Raising Steam was really good, IMO

It's a weird change of pace from how most of the books are done, but it's understandable with context that there's an entire industrial revolution going on
>>
>>83419923
Oh god. I hope it's not what I think it is.
>>
>>83419967
Raising Steam was less about writing a story and more about making sure Ankh-Morpork would keep going without Terry.
>>
>>83419383
Thud was great too.

>"And yet we say this. Here in this cave at the end of the world peace is made between dwarf and troll and we will march beyond the hand of Death together. For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good. Those we fought today, but the wilful fool is eternal and will say-"
>"This is just a trick!" Ardent shouted.
>"-say this is a trick," Bashfullsson continued, "and so we implore: come to the caves under this valley, where you will find us sharing the peace that cannot be braken."

Pretty moving.
>>
>>83420036
>>83419951
All of the last couple of books was giving the cast happy endings. I don't know if it was a gift to the readers, or to the characters, but I was okay with it.
>>
bump for Discworld
>>
>>83422039
Always bump for Discworld.
Hold up let my get my Kindle Clippings.
>>
>>83422137
I probably have multiple quotes saved in duplicate just from re-reading his books. So much quotable stuff.
>>
>>83418736

>noone ever talks about the truckers movie

why
>>
>>83418956

>ron is mort

haha holy fuck
>>
hey i just started this book. i don't love discworld but this is the 3rd i've read so something is clicking
>>
Thud! was the last good terry pratchett book

fight me
>>
>>83422254
How to you keep them organized? I usually go Kindle -> Clippings.txt -> clippings.io -> OneNote
I hear some people go as far as to keep a physical quotebook

>>83422137

" “Down there,” he said, “are people who will follow any dragon, worship any god, ignore any iniquity. All out of a kind of humdrum, everyday badness. Not the really high, creative loathesomeness of the great sinners, but a sort of mass-produced darkness of the soul. Sin, you might say, without a trace of originality. They accept evil not because they say yes, but because they don’t say no."

" There were fires all over Ankh-Morpork. So many bucket chains had formed between the river and various burning buildings that buckets were getting misdirected and hijacked. Not that you really needed a bucket to pick up the turbid waters of the river Ankh—a net was good enough."

" A number of religions in Ankh-Morpork still practiced human sacrifice, except that they didn’t really need to practice anymore because they had got so good at it. City law said that only condemned criminals should be used, but that was all right because in most of the religions refusing to volunteer for sacrifice was an offense punishable by death. "

"All these years he’d known the man and he’d never realized that, in his secret private life, Corporal Nobbs was a bit of a peacock. A very short peacock, it was true, a peacock that had been hit repeatedly with something heavy, perhaps, but a peacock nonetheless. It just went to show, you never could tell."

" It was a five hundred mile journey and, surprisingly, quite uneventful. People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, “Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else.” "
>>
>>83422412
I have a physical quote book/journal, but usually I just copy the clippings file once a month or so
>>
Disney needs to give me my Queen of Air and Darkness / Ill-Made Knight / Candle in the Wind. You adapted the worst part of that goddamn book.
>>
>>83422491

>implying T.H White invented the Sword in the Stone
>>
>>83422537
1) He did invent the book called that
2) Disney based the film off of that book
>>
>>83422392
Making Money was good
>>
>>83422602

Next you'll be telling me that Tolkien invented orcs and elves
>>
>>83422479
Ah, so they are either digital or physical but not at the same time. Got it. What do you do with all the clipping files then? Do you just leave them as txts?

Also to the guy reading the book now, Mort spoilers below
" Cutwell stood up slowly, and turned around. The duke was backed by half a dozen large serious men, the type of men whose only function in life is to loom behind people like the duke. They had a dozen large serious crossbows, whose main purpose was to appear to be on the point of going off. "

" It was the kind of eating house that didn’t need a menu. You just looked at Harga’s vest. "

" The Ankh-Morpork Guild of Merchants has taken to hiring large gangs of men with ears like fists and fists like large bags of walnuts whose job it is to re-educate those misguided people who publicly fail to recognize the many attractive points of their fine city. "

" “It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever,” he said. “Have you thought of going into teaching?” Death’s face was a mask of terror. Well, it was always a mask of terror, but this time he meant it to be "

" And don’t you try to butter me up. I ain’t butterable.” "

" the streets were nevertheless a-bustle with people and shrill with the cries of hucksters, gamblers, sellers of sweetmeats, pea-and-thimble men, ladies of assignation, pickpockets and the occasional honest trader who had wandered in by mistake and couldn’t now raise enough money to leave. "

" with whom he had enjoyed six happy months of married life. That had been some twenty years previously. "

" His hair was more hairy, his clothes more clothy, his boots the epitome of bootness. "

" I hate----ing wizards!” “You shouldn’t----them, then,” "

"provide immoral support."

I think I'm better off posting the whole book, loved every bit of it.
>>
>>83422729
Both of my points still apply. You're a idiot if you think every adaptation of Arthur is the same anyway.
>>
I still prefer Eskarina Smith to Tiffany Aching
>>
>>83423056
Had to google who she was lel. It's kind of weird how different the early Discworld books were, like it's another series before and after Guards!
>>
>>83423143
>that naked dragon rider in Colour of Magic
First fap desu
>>
>>83423056
to be fair, tiffany aching prefers eskarina smith to tiffany aching

anyone else here think that monstrous regiment was pretty good and get's an undeserved amount of shit?
>>
>>83416028
Pratchett wrote for videogames. Three of them. Only You Can Save Mankind is a meta-commentary on videogames.
>>
>>83422306
You mean the stop-motion miniseries? It was a really great adaptation, shame Cosgrove Hall never touched the sequels.
>>
>>83422389
Mort's when Prachett starts getting into his groove. Skip ahead and read Guards Guards if nothing is really working for you, but you'll miss out on enjoying seeing how the early stuff metamorphoses into the more polished Discworld.
>>
>>83417089
Death is acceptance it's not evil never was but killing for the sake of joy is evil they make Hades the villain in herc and that still upsets me.
>>
>>83419625
>Snuff
>Vimes has magical talk to goblins powers and can see in the dark

He'd been on the decline but that was when it really hit me he was dying. That really hurt.
>>
>>83426323
I have no idea why people don't take to it, it's one of my absolute favorites.
>>
>>83422306
>>83427011

Haven't they been looking to turn The Bromeliad into a movie trilogy for years, now?
>>
>>83427076

Guards Guards and Small Gods are the other two I've read. Guards was ok but I dunno seemed loose. Liked Small Gods
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.